XIGNCODE with next patch? Hello EME announce atleast that we are installing malware with this game!!

1252628303144

Comments

  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    MistyTera wrote: »
    Ok I might be wrong? I'm so resourceful. :3 Though I'm not sure if this is all true? Yet someone can use it to sue?

    https://reddit.com/r/DFO/comments/310c4v/abusing_the_usn_journal_why_xigncode_appears_to/

    So now I might have a problem with it? I don't know?

    If it scans another game and it thinks I'm hacking? That's stupid! Yet I don't think it does.

    Here's the nice thing (sarcasm), XIGNCODE can create errors at times and prevent the game from starting. Even when nothing is wrong and you're a legit player that doesn't cheat. So really it's even more worthless!

    Honestly all it does is check Tera files, not my system, if it really does? I feel your concern. Yet it's only detecting the game process files on the game itself and nothing else.

    So I can see why some people are against it. Yet, people use Discord and don't believe me on it's stealing of data, which is ironic. :/:p Sorry people. Many people play BnS and I don't see anyone suing them. If I get more spam emails, then I know something is up! However, there has been some reports from Discord users that got spam emails. Anyways, sorry off topic again, but for all conclusion of this XINGCODE, there is still a way to bypass. Since a bypass exists, EME/BHS fails as an attempt to solve the hacking in game.

    Should of disguised it so that people don't know where to look for a BYPASS! There has to be a better solution, but there is none! People are still going to hack! So EME/BHS can just forget about the XIGNCODE.

    For me at least, there are things I'd be worth taking that risk for, and there are things that I don't consider the risk at all. I manage a small community through Discord, and I've used the service for a long time. I know people who work there. I don't trust the company completely, because anyone who trusts a *company* deserves to be conned, but I consider it an acceptable risk since they've come across as competent and professional in all of my dealings with them. The thing about Wellbia/XIGNCODE is I can't say that at all. Their garbage would've probably been stealth-dropped on my PC if this thread hadn't called EME out on it in advance; their page seems devoid of any information except the liability section, and nearly every google search I run on their software brings back negative results. It stinks. Now, is Tera worth the risk? I don't think it is. Neither do a lot of other people. It's funny as hell, too, because a better game might've warranted less backlash, but tera's been slipping for nearly a year straight and this is the final nail in the coffin for a lot of people.

    Now for another topic entirely:

    I keep seeing the argument "well everyone else already takes your info and sells it, so what's one more thing? Who cares!" People like you (not you the person I'm quoting; but people who make this argument. I'm addressing a different group entirely now) are the reason we're even in this mess. Slowly letting one group after another have access to your info, until your privacy becomes a gaping crater that every company's been [filtered]-deep inside of. Then XIGNCODE comes along and wants a piece too, for a *game*, so you can play a dying MMO, and you're like "well, what's ooooooone more, haha." Every time there's a credit card leak, these're the first people to wonder how they were targeted, and the trail is endless, absolutely endless, because they're just ... OKAY with signing over their information to everyone, and then they act like we're the paranoid ones for finally putting our foot down and saying that giving up our information to play a poorly managed MMO just isn't worth the risk. It's gaslighting at its finest.

    "But if this software were bad, people would've said something about it before!"
    Are you people not reading the thread or something? It's full of links showing how intrusive and ineffective-at-stopping-hackers this stuff is. One guy pulled up a laundry list of files XIGNCODE examined that had absolutely nothing to do with his games, and even showed that it spent an inordinate amount of time going through his porn folder for some reason. That picture is in this thread. I'm not going to hunt it down for you. The only reason xign is kept around is because those mmo companies, much like bluehole studios, don't care about the opinions of their userbase. Saying "other bad companies do this, so it's okay" is probably the worst excuse of an argument I've heard all year and it's halfway into 2018 so that's saying something.

    "You're overblowing things"
    I don't think I am, since I've posted sources for every one of my claims. Yes, those people could be making [filtered] up. But you know what? I have ZERO reason to trust Wellbia/XIGNCODE. Absolutely none. There's no profit behind lying to slander an anti-cheat company, but there's plenty of profit in lying to sell your shoddy software. Combine that with the fact that it DOESN'T EVEN WORK for the one thing it's supposed to do, and it's well known that it doesn't work/is easily bypassed, and you have a situation where, to anyone with half a brain, it looks like EME is just selling people's information. I hope I'm wrong but they're not saying anything either, so what am I supposed to think.
  • edited June 2018
    voidy wrote: »
    One guy pulled up a laundry list of files XIGNCODE examined that had absolutely nothing to do with his games, and even showed that it spent an inordinate amount of time going through his porn folder for some reason. That picture is in this thread. I'm not going to hunt it down for you.

    The reason for this is pretty clear if you think about how all anti-virus, anti-malware, and similar scanners work. Programs that can interface with the game are not limited to being installed in the game folder. They can installed anywhere on the computer; yes, even in someone's "porn folder." (If you tell the scanner to exclude some folder, I wonder where people will put the offending software...) So just scanning your game folder alone serves absolutely no purpose at all if the intent of the scan is to look for software that allows you to inject/bypass/debug/etc. It has to look for signatures of blacklisted programs everywhere.

    Whether the software is effective at finding and disabling this software is another issue, and clearly if it's implemented such that it can be easily bypassed, then it's pointless. (Games like PUBG, for instance, have played this cat-and-mouse game for a while now, which did have some effect at reducing the ease of cheating.) And this is also aside the question on whether EME should be installing vulnerability scanning software at all, which is the crux of the debate. But, clearly, if any vulnerability scanning software didn't look everywhere on your PC (including all the "hidden corners"), it would not be doing an effective scan.

    voidy wrote: »
    to anyone with half a brain, it looks like EME is just selling people's information. I hope I'm wrong but they're not saying anything either, so what am I supposed to think.
    Honestly, I have a hard time believing you really think that. Because if you really truly believed that EME is somehow using this to sell people's information, what at all would be proven even if EME comes right out and says "We are absolutely not, under no uncertain terms, going to sell your personal information to this company or any other"? All you'd say then is "It's a lie! That's just what they want us to believe!" How are they supposed to prove it beyond their word? And if you're already ready to imply that this is what you think they're doing, then what is their word really worth to you?

    If you really thought that's what this was about, why would you think they'd need this software to do that? They could have been doing that with the launcher and the game all this time. These programs can already access plenty of files on your PC, including most people's "porn folder" or whatever else (since they're probably running the game as the same user as their personal files). They wouldn't need to install this tool, which comes with a logo when it boots up and everything, if this was just about doing something hidden and sinister to screw people. We'd already be screwed.

    Anyway, again, I'm not trying to say this justifies adding this program at all. But if you really believed what you're saying, it'd be pretty hard to trust any software unless you can verify all the source code yourself. (And hey, some people believe that; more power to them.)
  • "XIGNCODE is looking for any modification of game files itself and any third-party programs that are malicious. You want to ask about those uses, then submit a ticket."

    Yet he detects NOTHING :P.
  • @MistyTera Wow. So you trust a one page description of so-called "Anti-Cheat" software. You are special. If they actually SOLD anti-cheat they would have a bunch of freaking ads for it. Not some rinky -dink one page of [filtered].

    @MistyTera , @counterpoint Show me your opinion is worth its salt if you want to defend XIGN. PM me your XIGN logs and show me that it isn't spyware. I shouldn't have to defend myself when I say that I don't want random-[filtered] third-party software being installed on my computer when all I want to do is PLAY TERA LIKE I HAVE FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS WITHOUT XIGN. The proof of burden is on you.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Khalgoroth wrote: »
    @MistyTera Wow. So you trust a one page description of so-called "Anti-Cheat" software. You are special. If they actually SOLD anti-cheat they would have a bunch of freaking ads for it. Not some rinky -dink one page of [filtered].

    @MistyTera , @counterpoint Show me your opinion is worth its salt if you want to defend XIGN. PM me your XIGN logs and show me that it isn't spyware. I shouldn't have to defend myself when I say that I don't want random-[filtered] third-party software being installed on my computer when all I want to do is PLAY TERA LIKE I HAVE FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS WITHOUT XIGN. The proof of burden is on you.

    You know whats funny about misty? They'll blindly trust a random korean company with a page out of early 2000s but they also have a thread up on exposing discord and it's data selling conspiracies. Selective memory!
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    voidy wrote: »
    One guy pulled up a laundry list of files XIGNCODE examined that had absolutely nothing to do with his games, and even showed that it spent an inordinate amount of time going through his porn folder for some reason. That picture is in this thread. I'm not going to hunt it down for you.

    The reason for this is pretty clear if you think about how all anti-virus, anti-malware, and similar scanners work. Programs that can interface with the game are not limited to being installed in the game folder. They can installed anywhere on the computer; yes, even in someone's "porn folder." (If you tell the scanner to exclude some folder, I wonder where people will put the offending software...) So just scanning your game folder alone serves absolutely no purpose at all if the intent of the scan is to look for software that allows you to inject/bypass/debug/etc. It has to look for signatures of blacklisted programs everywhere.

    Whether the software is effective at finding and disabling this software is another issue, and clearly if it's implemented such that it can be easily bypassed, then it's pointless. (Games like PUBG, for instance, have played this cat-and-mouse game for a while now, which did have some effect at reducing the ease of cheating.) And this is also aside the question on whether EME should be installing vulnerability scanning software at all, which is the crux of the debate. But, clearly, if any vulnerability scanning software didn't look everywhere on your PC (including all the "hidden corners"), it would not be doing an effective scan.

    The irony is, the scans are proven ineffective anyway! Everyone and their mom can bypass this garbage and in every game XIGN is used with, bots run rampant and cheaters are thankful that they don't have to deal with a more difficult anti-cheat device. Look at BnS, which has Chinese bot farmers everywhere. Look at BDO, which is currently dealing with a speedhack epidemic. Look at tera, where already a bypass has been found and we don't even have it yet. Like, man, it really seems like someone got the jump on EME with this (which is why they aren't responding much about it) and they're just stuck using the worst anti-cheat tool in the industry. It's sad, imo, but at least it can be bypassed super easily so it's moot for most users capable of googling "how to bypass xigncode".
  • edited June 2018
    Khalgoroth wrote: »
    Show me your opinion is worth its salt if you want to defend XIGN. PM me your XIGN logs and show me that it isn't spyware. I shouldn't have to defend myself when I say that I don't want random-[filtered] third-party software being installed on my computer when all I want to do is PLAY TERA LIKE I HAVE FOR THE PAST 6 YEARS WITHOUT XIGN. The proof of burden is on you.

    Could you point me to even once where I suggested that people should want this software? I don't think this software is necessary since it doesn't solve anything, and that's what I've said over and over. And I'm not even telling people they shouldn't express their disagreement in this thread either. But, if we're going to have a conversation about it, at least be objective about what it actually does and how it actually works, and not just lie, exaggerate, and extrapolate worst case scenarios all day.

    If you don't want this software, uninstall the game now. If enough people do that, and their numbers reflect it, EME will have to do something. Other companies have removed XIGNCODE from their game before.


    voidy wrote: »
    The irony is, the scans are proven ineffective anyway! Everyone and their mom can bypass this garbage and in every game XIGN is used with, bots run rampant and cheaters are thankful that they don't have to deal with a more difficult anti-cheat device. Look at BnS, which has Chinese bot farmers everywhere. Look at BDO, which is currently dealing with a speedhack epidemic. Look at tera, where already a bypass has been found and we don't even have it yet. Like, man, it really seems like someone got the jump on EME with this (which is why they aren't responding much about it) and they're just stuck using the worst anti-cheat tool in the industry. It's sad, imo, but at least it can be bypassed super easily so it's moot for most users capable of googling "how to bypass xigncode".

    That's basically what I've said too -- why add it if it's not even going to work? And that argument makes perfect sense, and I think is much stronger. The conspiracies are not necessary.
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Vasy86le wrote: »
    So, when we have this patch?
    Capture.jpg

    All Regions outside of Korea got the so-called "Proxy Prevention" Patch the week after that happened in KTERA. Unofficially, it's the fix for the Valkyrie Dreamslash exploit, so projectile skills can only apply damage once per hit, officially stated as this

    af2d24b7a2.png

    So, it's already been implemented.

    PS: Since EME redid their entire website, the original source for the patch notes has gone.
  • I'm just curious to know if they would announce if information wasn't leaked... I doubt it though.
  • MeningitisMeningitis ✭✭✭✭
    This thread has devolved quite a bit. Whether or not Xigncode3 is guilty of all of the accusations in this thread or not, everybody's losing focus that EME is the one we should be focusing our attention on because they've shown their paying customers great disrespect over the past few months. Even if Xigncode3 isn't bad at all and doesn't impact performance (I doubt that based on what it did to BnS in my personal case), EME should be answering at least some questions and posting accurate patch notes with ample time before major changes occur. Especially ones that y'know....install a 3rd party program onto your computer!

    I really love Tera, but En Masse is making it really hard to keep playing. To be honest, I don't care about Xigncode3. I've learned enough about it over the past few mmos I've played that use it to be fine with it. It's not Xigncode3 itself for me at this point- it's the trashy way En Masse has handled this change.

    Just. Yikes.
  • DeusFurtaDeusFurta ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    @counterpoint The unfortunate problem that arises with asking people to uninstall the game is most that have committed any decent amount of time to it will probably just use the bypass. A lot of people also won't even voice their opinions about it because it's easier to just bypass the problem rather than try and get EME to change something. Also the whole vote with your wallet thing is a little harder in a game that you've already dumped thousands of hours into especially when alternative games in the genre are mostly garbage.

    TERA seems to be slipping into the role of "Not as bad as other games". I wish there was more competition.
  • edited June 2018
    DeusFurta wrote: »
    The unfortunate problem that arises with asking people to uninstall the game is most that have committed any decent amount of time to it will probably just use the bypass. A lot of people also won't even voice their opinions about it because it's easier to just bypass the problem rather than try and get EME to change something. Also the whole vote with your wallet thing is a little harder in a game that you've already dumped thousands of hours into especially when alternative games in the genre are mostly garbage.
    Well, the fact that people have made so much noise about how easy it is to bypass does also hurt some of the worst-case-scenario arguments in this thread. As you say, the people making the most noise about the evils of this software were probably always planning to bypass it anyway, so it's sort of an argument in the abstract. EME obviously knows this too.

    DeusFurta wrote: »
    TERA seems to be slipping into the role of "Not as bad as other games". I wish there was more competition.
    Competition is always good, in my view. Fortnite's sudden rise is making BHS try harder to fix PUBG, and they probably would never have done that if not for this market pressure. If there were some serious competition to TERA, I'm not sure what BHS would do, but it'd be good for us gamers in the end.
  • DokibunDokibun ✭✭✭✭
    just change this thread title to elinusagi white knighting
  • MistyTera wrote: »
    Kinoshi wrote: »
    MistyTera wrote: »
    I saw nothing of the sort, but the XIGNCODE only scans for hacking programs running and processes in Tera. That's it! It doesn't read your personal information.

    What's flagged by XIGNCODE though? We're not even sure what legit programs are white-listed. Personally, while playing Tera I use: MSI Afterburner, SweetFX and Xpadder. All are legit but I have no idea if these will be flagged or not.

    Why are you using things like that? Tera looks great as it is! Tera detects game-pads automatically. Ask about the use of these.

    Tera looks much, much better with SweetFX, plus you get SMAA anti-aliasing. I don't think there's a single game I have installed where I don't use it. Tera's gamepad support is terrible, Xpadder allows you to remap any key to any button and when the interface is active, your right stick controls your mouse. If you don't know what MSI Afterburner is, I dunno what to tell ya.
This discussion has been closed.