[PC] Maintenance is now complete! Thank you!
[PS4/XB1] We have identified an issue that is preventing players from obtaining achievements. We are aware of this issue, and are working to solve this as soon as possible. Being that this issue will likely require an additional maintenance, we will inform players as soon as we have scheduled this fix. Thank you for your patience and understanding!

XIGNCODE DISCUSSION!

Comments

• edited June 2018
    voidy wrote: »
    I'm already pissed because even though my PC is a beast and runs decently no matter what, I've already had runs where I've wasted tons of consumables waiting around while we wiped and wiped and wiped and then waited while people relogged and relogged and relogged because their games were performing like shite after every boss, and all after this update. If you want to say that's a coincidence, fine, but come on.

It's not a coincidence, but it's actually an unrelated (but equally stupid/frustrating) reason. The equivalent patch in K-TERA had the same performance bug with dungeons, and it was patched in a later K-TERA patch. As often happens, when they gave us this build, they gave us the same bug without backporting the fix. Which is frustrating as hell, but as it turns out, is for a different reason.

Minazuki wrote: »
    @TrialMacameau
    it's (all?) installed in TERA\Client\Binaries\XIGNCODE

(someone correct me if I am wrong)
    I did not see anything installed anywhere other then the TERA folder.

C:\Windows\xhunter1.sys is not present

C:\windows/xhunter1.sys is present for me probably i ran Tera after update?
    name: xhunter1.sys
    date modified: 5/9/2017 21:40
    type: system file
    size: 36kb
    also u can find it in regedit

have you ever had BDO installed on your computer?
    I think there are other games which install the same file.

No, I dont play BDO and I know my other games dont use xigncode.

That file date is when it installed itself, so whatever game put it there, it happened a little over a year ago (assuming that's US time format).

I've also noticed that TERA's implementation, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to put a file there. (But other games like BnS and Black Desert do.)
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    ChrisL wrote: »
    was wondering where you would look too see if it was downloaded or installed?
    Try this:
    Hit the windows key + R to open the run window. Type 'regedit' without the quotes. The registry editor window will open. Be very careful in here.
    On the left in this window, there'll be a few folders. Click where it says HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    That'll open a new set of folders. In there, click where it says SYSTEM.
    That'll open another set of folders. In there, click CurrentControlSet.
    From there, click Services.
    In this folder, you're going to scroll to the bottom until you find a file marked xhunter1. That is xigncode's, and it's how you'll know if it's on your PC or not. When I uninstalled BDO, I had to manually delete this because it would not remove itself upon uninstall.

For a quicker reference of the file directory: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\xhunter1
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/582660/discussions/0/1290691308571849109/#c1290691308571902026
    ^ source for this info, did it myself a while back. If it doesn't appear, then it's as counterpoint said and this version will not make itself known even here in the registry files, which is troublesome and quite unusual. I'd try it now but I'm not home.

• MinazukiMinazuki ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    @TrialMacameau
    it's (all?) installed in TERA\Client\Binaries\XIGNCODE

(someone correct me if I am wrong)
    I did not see anything installed anywhere other then the TERA folder.

C:\Windows\xhunter1.sys is not present

C:\windows/xhunter1.sys is present for me probably i ran Tera after update?
    name: xhunter1.sys
    date modified: 5/9/2017 21:40
    type: system file
    size: 36kb
    also u can find it in regedit

have you ever had BDO installed on your computer?
    I think there are other games which install the same file.

No, I dont play BDO and I know my other games dont use xigncode.

That file date is when it installed itself, so whatever game put it there, it happened a little over a year ago (assuming that's US time format).

I've also noticed that TERA's implementation, for whatever reason, doesn't seem to put a file there. (But other games like BnS and Black Desert do.)

I think I found the game used xhunter1.sys before... Dragon Nest = = which i quitted so i didnt notice it.
  • edited June 2018
    Xerses wrote: »
    Had this really long response written out comparing Wellbia to other anti cheat programs like Battleye and how they all send files from your IP to a master server and permanently store them and how social engineering is involved both positively and negatively. I did research on how everything works with these anti cheat programs and how bad it potentially can affect your pc and had all these screenshots and links ready to post. I had screenshots and links to errors of xigncode, had links of how easily it's "bypassed" and how useless it is. I did research on how other games are manipulated and what those companies do to combat cheating and compared those major companies like Blizzard and blah blah blah. But who cares, what's done is done.
    Out of a desire to have a constructive debate/discussion on this topic... If you actually did all this work, please just post it and open it up to scrutiny, rather than insinuating all this scary stuff ("send your files to a master server permanently!", "social engineering!", "bad consequences to your pc!") and then saying "I have all this carefully-researched evidence, but I'm not going to tell you because it doesn't matter." If any of those things were actually as true as you imply, it matters a lot to everyone who plays TERA (and the tens of millions that play other games that use this same tool). Regardless of whatever impact this has on EME's decision for TERA, these threads will obviously be indexed by search engines, and others can use your research to further the conversation, and perhaps influence other companies.

I am obviously skeptical of these insinuations because of how widely tools like this are used and the major consequences if any of these "facts" came to light. But if the evidence is there, and you've already put it together anyway, let's have it.
  • I mean, all of those quitting NA over Xingcode could just go to the EU version and use said 3rd Party programs to get an acceptable ping.

They wont get Xing, as it directly conflicts with European general law.
  • ReChoaReChoa ✭✭✭
    Mogly wrote: »
    I mean, all of those quitting NA over Xingcode could just go to the EU version and use said 3rd Party programs to get an acceptable ping.

The issue with that is, no one wants to start all over from scratch, that's just annoying as [filtered] and turns you off from a game.
  • Mogly wrote: »
    As explained in another thread, it doesn't necessarily conflict with the law. There are a number of games in EU (like Black Desert, Blade and Soul, EME's Closers, etc.) that do use that program. Gameforge may still decide not to go that path, of course.
  • ChristinChristin ✭✭✭
    As explained in another thread, it doesn't necessarily conflict with the law. There are a number of games in EU (like Black Desert, Blade and Soul, EME's Closers, etc.) that do use that program. Gameforge may still decide not to go that path, of course.

All Korean based games that don't need to follow European law. Sure, they may update their terms to add in a bunch of garbage, but they don't have to follow any of it. You're just being ignorant and silly and pointing to stuff that you know can be ignored.
    Laemie wrote: »
    So shes playing Tera on a Mac and shes using nvidia geforce cloud thingy to play. With this Xigncode, its not allowed anymore and she can nolonger play. Any of you using the same thing and having any solutions?

I recommend she contact EME in a ticket about this situation. This is something they may have to work with Nvidia to solve, but it's something they clearly have done before since PUBG is working there. Likely either EME or Nvidia has to change some options on their end to make this work again.

Why even give people hope and tell them to contact support? Do you think support is going to suddenly change the code to allow this cloud? Give it up already.
  • Ive been back playing this game for around like 45 days after a few years break and this whole situation just seems weird. This program was put in to stop bots? Ive been playing a lot, leveling quite a few characters, and even did extensive farming during the BAM event recently. Going thru all the channels etc I did not see one bot and after playing mmos for many years I can spot them pretty easy...The only thing Ive seen is gold sellers in chat spamming, but this program wouldnt even stop that. Unless I'm missing something they seem to be using one of the many other ways to get gold to sell besides botting. So what is this program in Tera for?
  • TomRipleyTomRipley ✭✭✭
    Dercas723 wrote: »
    So what is this program in Tera for?

According to EME
    I think that makes for a playing experience that is more fun.
    It's just there for fun. ;)
  • edited June 2018
    Christin wrote: »

All Korean based games that don't need to follow European law. Sure, they may update their terms to add in a bunch of garbage, but they don't have to follow any of it. You're just being ignorant and silly and pointing to stuff that you know can be ignored.
    Uhh, I'm talking about the EU-published versions of those games, and they absolutely need to comply with EU law. EME also needs to comply with EU law as long as they offer products to EU natural persons (which they certainly do with games like Closers). It's absolutely applicable. That's why Gravity Interactive, who also publishes Korean games, completely pulled out of EU last month (in fear that they couldn't comply with GDPR). They wouldn't have done that if "they don't have to follow any of it." Pretending they don't have to comply with the law just because they're "Korean based games" would definitely make it illegal in the EU.

Christin wrote: »
    Laemie wrote: »
    So shes playing Tera on a Mac and shes using nvidia geforce cloud thingy to play. With this Xigncode, its not allowed anymore and she can nolonger play. Any of you using the same thing and having any solutions?

I recommend she contact EME in a ticket about this situation. This is something they may have to work with Nvidia to solve, but it's something they clearly have done before since PUBG is working there. Likely either EME or Nvidia has to change some options on their end to make this work again.

Why even give people hope and tell them to contact support? Do you think support is going to suddenly change the code to allow this cloud? Give it up already.
    They certainly have proven they can. PUBG is also made by BHS, supported by EME, uses XIGNCODE3, and is one of the featured games on GeForce Now (the very cloud service that's being referred to). Plus, by its very nature, that cloud service is going to host all sorts of other games that also have various kinds of anti-cheat software like this; they just probably weren't prepared for it being added to TERA. So... yes? It's certainly at least worth asking.
  • For the past 5 years i've been a hard core Tera fan.... till now....I can only say due to this XIGNCODE3 that causes lag and slows me that I have a 70% chance of quitting Tera unless they remove XIGNCODE3 or fix it ..... so saddd but there are other games...

Vote with your feet they say ( and my wallet too)!
  • kubitoidkubitoid ✭✭✭✭✭
    jokes aside my 3 kopeks in da buket..
    me latest experience with xigncode was playing c9 mmo last year. many times there were famous errors ''suspicious program detected'' and i remember once when i got this error again i sent log file to wellbia support and bot answered that it was some dll xigncode found suspicious. i browsed folders and it turned out to be foobar2000 plugin lol. so be prepared for random false detections <3

also..
    with this xigncode...
    - no multi-client (for swap gold/items between chars w/o guild bank)
    - no gpk mods (aka removing idiotic combo counter, alternative party/skill icons, diff boss bar, sorc/reaper/ninja skill effects tweaks for better performance in dung, ini tweaks etc etc etc, elin decensor ofc ffs)
    - profit???

worth a hassle to apply bypass? it means to install another shady software on top of already shady xigncode... idk..
    was planning to return to tera bit further into summer but this xign news plus that ridiculous tera store daily deal most likely had put en end to my tera journey :s :s :s

lol <3 <3 <3
    well... more free time for grim dawn and watching anime i guess
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    KitTeaCup wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to get you a response to the initial topic for this thread... which is... as I see it... why XIGNCODE. I get it. It sucks. But cheating sucks more. No cheating fix is perfect, but we felt like we had to do something about it, and Wellbia, who are a reputable company who have been working on solving this sort of issue for numerous games (including TERA in other regions) was the best partner that we could find.

I totally understand the desire that BHS and EME would have for implementing some sort of anti-cheat system. The last two years has been pretty rough for NA TERA in relation to family of third party programs.

Here's the problem: Xigncode has been implemented by Nexon (Korea) and pmang (Japan) in their TERA builds for a couple of years now. In that time:

- Xigncode failed to stop the usage of DPS meters. Literally, if you have a KTERA account, you could start up the most popular DPS meter for TERA and it will run perfectly fine. [1]

[1] As an educational side story, DPS meters are actually allowed under the ToS for KTERA. This happened after Nexon and BHS said that they were going to ban players that were using them, which resulted in a nasty backlash of the "lots of players actually stopped playing" kind. The ToS was subsequently re-written to allow DPS meters (and third party softwares, as long as the way it was used wasn't considered cheating).

- As has been mentioned in this thread, Xigncode is stupidly easy to bypass. Said DPS meter is actually a good example here.

But for others, Google is your friend here. And that's assuming that the game actually installed Xigncode onto your machine in the first place. There are comments by a few people that TERA never actually installed Xigncode on the machine it was running on (though that may be down to the borked patch process that happened).
    KitTeaCup wrote: »
    We’re just trying to ensure that all battlegrounds and epic quests take place on a figurative level field.

- Xigncode never stopped the cheating enabled by the exploits that we have seen over the last two years on NA. How do we know this? They have been used on KTERA and action against cheaters was only taken after the community managed to prove that cheating was occurring.

One such example was the Valkyrie Dreamslash exploit. This appears to have been considered by BHS and Nexon a problem that didn't exist on KTERA until the Battleground leaderboards were re-introduced, where a Valkyrie that was known to be pretty bad at the game was sitting at the top of the PvP leaderboards for BGs. It was only at that point where it was proven to be an issue in KTERA when they actually started to code in proper fixes for it
This discussion has been closed.