[PC] Maintenance has completed, and servers are now open. Thank you for your patience!
Easter has come to TERA! Read all about it, and check this thread for information on where to find these eggs, and what you can get! http://bit.ly/2Dj6rJa

XIGNCODE DISCUSSION!

Comments

• Synnestraa wrote: »
    I unknowingly had this xhunter1.sys file on my PC from late 2017 but I haven't seen anything abnormal with my PC since then. Since I already have this file now, could updating TERA with Thursday's patch still pose a risk to my PC or would it be fine to update?

It's fine to update so long as you're not concerned by an invasion of privacy or potential security risk.
    Many are complaining about a drop in performance and serious technical issues, but there is no current evidence of malicious behaviour.
    Everything is installed into the TERA\Client\Binaries\XIGNCODE and nothing is installed into Windows.
    The anti-cheat process is only active while the client is active which I have personally verified.

The issue is mostly whether you're comfortable with having this on your computer.
    It probably won't harm you or your computer, but it's a step in the wrong direction in terms of privacy.
  • It behaves differently on every machine, and every implementation seems to be different. From what I can tell, it's basically random. Having it installed does nothing if it's not being called by anything - it only runs while TERA is running, for instance. So fire TERA up and if you notice bad performance and/or crashes as so many do.. maybe wait for an official answer before continuing.

Seems to be the case. I tried it last night and experienced no slowdowns or issues. CPU usage appears the same when monitored using MSI Afterburner in game. Didn't even complain about my SweetFX or Xpadder so they must be "white-listed". The driver doesn't appear as xhunter1.sys for me, it's listed as "xxd-0.xem in Task Manager and uses about 1400K RAM so pretty minimal.

Still not liking it though since I have no idea what it's scanning and what information it's collecting. Plus the pop-up that appears in the task bar when you launch the game looks shady as hell; just very unprofessional looking.
  • 4MWWPH9LXE4MWWPH9LXE ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    to every last one of you defending xigncode frickery(i extend this to even GMs)

point me 4 positive/pros points about it,i dare you
    and why it should stay
    lets see if cons and pros balance out

if there are none then why bother having it in first place
  • StitchedSoulStitchedSoul ✭✭✭✭
    Why someone should point you something? Better to point it to eme then.

P.s. With love, against this soft.
  • 4MWWPH9LXE wrote: »
    to every last one of you defending xigncode frickery(i extend this to even GMs)

point me 4 positive/pros points about it,i dare you
    and why it should stay
    lets see if cons and pros balance out

if there are none then why bother having it in first place

I see nothing positive about forcing this rootkit on the player base.
  • Why someone should point you something? Better to point it to eme then.

P.s. With love, against this soft.

to make us see "their" view
    if they are so keen on defending it then show us why
  • I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of computers that required a reinstallation of the OS after the xigncode debacle, though. If I'm correct about xigncode being a rootkit, it has no business being a requirement to play a game. Also, if it is a rootkit, one wouldn't necessarily be able to tell what it is doing from within the infected OS. This would be because it has owned the system.
  • kubitoidkubitoid ✭✭✭✭✭
    seems like among western publishers only eme took step to implement xign while tera eu and tera ru didnt
  • I been reading the chat about XIGNCODE for days. I've not risked nor will i risk updating my TERA and having that thing run in the background scanning my personal files. Just taking a break from TERA until they remove it or the game closes up its doors. I thought it would be harder to quit but turns out its pretty easy when faced the risk of having your PC infected with a korean rootkit that scans and corrupts private files.

One strange thing i noticed reading the hundreds of posts is two people aggressively defending this, and only two people. Equitas and
    ElinUsagi. I'm not sure if they are the same person or people who work for EME. But if i had to guess they are different people since Equitas isn't a fanatic like the other person in defending it and has not as much blindly defended this malware rootkit. Just odd theres literally 2 people who love XIGNCODE being installed and scanning their files, while 99% of the other people don't want it anywhere near their systems.

Just strange if these people aren't EME employees or friends of employees because i have no idea why anyone would offer so much of their free time to help defend bad business practices of a company. If ElinUsagi isn't being paid to lobby for this malware, they should be, i've never seen such blind dedication and misdirection.

You guys realize there was a bypass literally before this thing was even applied to the launcher right? And from what i read in the discord even the proxy injection works as do every single illegal mod that worked before this rootkit was introduced. Not sure how many people are on hold or quit the game completely but in my wide view of it, seems not worth it unless they somehow are profiting from the data they are mining with this "anticheat" thing.

Just a sidenote, i played the game since its launch and have spend around 1000-1500 dollars through 3 active accounts i use. So i'm not a freeloader and it does hurt me to witness the death of TERA. This game has suffered permanent damage and been lead down a bad path from it poor leadership at Bluehole. No doubt Bluehole to blame since i've seen how poorly they run Pubg and how much they panic when Fortnite took over.
  • kubitoid wrote: »
    seems like among western publishers only eme took step to implement xign while tera eu and tera ru didnt

That is why I'm thinking of moving to TERA EU. Demanding that players let their systems get owned may work in Korea. Luckily, it seems to not work so well in the west. Still giving EME a bit more time to at least make an official statement about this, though. At any rate, in the least, I'll be more wary about trusting EME after this rootkit debacle.
  • Naru2008Naru2008 ✭✭✭✭
    kubitoid wrote: »

Most are quoting EU as being illegal, though it isn't exactly illegal, but it is due to the most recent law changes in EU slowing down their process of adding it.

As for RU, I would wait to see if their next 'update' includes it.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naru2008 wrote: »
    kubitoid wrote: »

Most are quoting EU as being illegal, though it isn't exactly illegal, but it is due to the most recent law changes in EU slowing down their process of adding it.

As for RU, I would wait to see if their next 'update' includes it.

but black desert and blade and soul euro use xingcode :3
  • I feel like some people are spreading misinformation about TERA EU on here. While it is conceivable that they could add xigncode, I've yet to see any real evidence to suggest that they are planning to. The uproar with TERA NA over xigncode shows that forcing rootkits on the player base is not as palatable in the west as it is in Korea. I suspect GameForge isn't foolish enough to start demanding that their players get their systems owned if they want to play TERA EU.
  • Why there is ppl in favor of Xingcode here? I dont understand.
    This is NOT dealing with ANY cheater. Because,Proxy, meters and Cheat Engine are stil working as ever.

The only noticeable thing is the fps drops.
This discussion has been closed.