[PS4/XB1] Maintenance is now complete.
[PC] Maintenance is now complete. Log in and have fun!

XIGNCODE DISCUSSION!

Comments

• I found that closed huge thread in the forum and read all the way through, same with this one. I haven’t opened TERA ever since and have not downloaded the patch.

I’m not a tech person at all. What I gather from all the info provided is that this Xingading probably doesn’t do most of what it is accused of. It doesn’t help getting rid of cheating either. So from my point of view it is useless.

BUT it is a rootkit! Sorry EME, I simply won’t install a rootkit on my PC that I use mainly for work and also for banking. Not because I think that Korean company will steal my data but because this opens a back door for other malicious software if said company happens to get hacked, which is quite common these days. I debated that I might try and get an old PC to work again and install TERA on it IF I find the time and also the space in my crowded office. But somehow I really don’t want to have so much trouble just for a game. So I probably just stay away unless you decide to get rid of the xingcode addition – which you will not as it clearly appears so far. I will follow the forum discussions for a few more days – hope dies last – but somehow I know that’s it because you will stick to it.

If I leave, that is no loss at all for the community as I was a very casual player and due to lack of time, sometimes for weeks, and very irregular working hours I never really had much contact with other players. The people in the guild I had joined all wandered off to other games anyway. For me it was still fine to play TERA. I totally enjoyed the fighting animations and the amazing world, the quest lines as far as I leveled was interesting enough and I loved the costumes and mounts. I was really into that and spent quite some money because I had such fun with it. So if I don’t come back it will be an expensive lesson I learned with my exploration of a Korean game. And it is kind of bitter since I just used a 3-month elite voucher a few days ago to try leveling a gunner and whatever class they will do such an event for next. Well, sh*t happens. :/

So this post is really for EME. I wanted you to know it seems you lost an easy going customer, easy going because I was content with what was provided. And looking at my expenses so far and my usual habits, you lost a costumer who is willing to spend more or less 1000 $ a year for a game he has really fun with. Well, I know it doesn’t matter ‘cause a lot of people still stay. But I nevertheless wanted you to know.
  • I wouldn't necessarily give up hope of EME removing xigncode quite yet. I do not believe EME has even given out an official statement about this rootkit disaster after the fallout started. If they were positively going to leave it in, I would think they would have simply said so by now. That they haven't makes me think that something may be going on behind the scenes. Of course, I don't know what the chances of EME removing xigncode actually are.
  • Equitas wrote: »
    RandomElin wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of computers that required a reinstallation of the OS after the xigncode debacle, though. If I'm correct about xigncode being a rootkit, it has no business being a requirement to play a game. Also, if it is a rootkit, one wouldn't necessarily be able to tell what it is doing from within the infected OS. This would be because it has owned the system.

"infected OS"

It's like you people don't listen. I know it isn't likely it'll do any good for me to explain this for what feels like the hundredth time, but I'll try anyway. Literally zero people have needed to reinstall their operating system. The most likely scenario is they rendered their computer inoperable by messing around with settings and files, attempting to remove this program after succumbing to paranoia, whilst having absolutely zero clue what they're doing. Either that, or they just wiped the slate clean because they believe that's the only way to remove XIGNCODE.
    kubitoid wrote: »
    seems like among western publishers only eme took step to implement xign while tera eu and tera ru didnt

En Masse is under direct control of Bluehole Studios, whereas the European and Russian publishers are not. Having to submit directly to the developer means that EME has far less autonomy than Gameforge and Destiny Games.
    I been reading the chat about XIGNCODE for days. I've not risked nor will i risk updating my TERA and having that thing run in the background scanning my personal files. Just taking a break from TERA until they remove it or the game closes up its doors. I thought it would be harder to quit but turns out its pretty easy when faced the risk of having your PC infected with a korean rootkit that scans and corrupts private files.

One strange thing i noticed reading the hundreds of posts is two people aggressively defending this, and only two people. Equitas and
    ElinUsagi. I'm not sure if they are the same person or people who work for EME. But if i had to guess they are different people since Equitas isn't a fanatic like the other person in defending it and has not as much blindly defended this malware rootkit. Just odd theres literally 2 people who love XIGNCODE being installed and scanning their files, while 99% of the other people don't want it anywhere near their systems.

Just strange if these people aren't EME employees or friends of employees because i have no idea why anyone would offer so much of their free time to help defend bad business practices of a company. If ElinUsagi isn't being paid to lobby for this malware, they should be, i've never seen such blind dedication and misdirection.

You guys realize there was a bypass literally before this thing was even applied to the launcher right? And from what i read in the discord even the proxy injection works as do every single illegal mod that worked before this rootkit was introduced. Not sure how many people are on hold or quit the game completely but in my wide view of it, seems not worth it unless they somehow are profiting from the data they are mining with this "anticheat" thing.

Just a sidenote, i played the game since its launch and have spend around 1000-1500 dollars through 3 active accounts i use. So i'm not a freeloader and it does hurt me to witness the death of TERA. This game has suffered permanent damage and been lead down a bad path from it poor leadership at Bluehole. No doubt Bluehole to blame since i've seen how poorly they run Pubg and how much they panic when Fortnite took over.

Joined June 9. Just figured I'd start with this, considering that's the second account that's popped up in the midst of this that only served to propagate misinformation and incite unnecessary panic.

"infected"
    "corrupts private files"
    "malware rootkit"
    "malware"
    "data ... mining"

You want to talk about misdirection, I just listed 5 instances where you were guilty of it. That's not including the bits where you made a laughable claim about me "aggressively defending" XIGNCODE, suggesting that I'm posting in the same thread on two accounts, suggesting that I work for this company, that I'm "blindly defending" anything, claiming that I "love XIGNCODE being installed", backpedaling and claiming that I must be friends of the employees, implying that Usagi is being paid for anything relating to this game or the newly implemented program, and once again claiming "blind dedication" while adding "misdirection". Usagi has shown people the negligible impact on system resources. I've corrected people constantly on their misinformed rhetoric. That doesn't mean anyone is defending this program. As I've said before:

"I don't care so much for this anti-cheat system as I do the facts. I can understand not wanting it around, but building a case off misinformation is not a good way to get EME to budge on their stance of leaving it in the game."
    Why there is ppl in favor of Xingcode here? I dont understand.

Would *facepalm* be an out of line response to this? Because that's how I feel.
    FEY3TX9579 wrote: »
    You're even a bigger moron than expected. Hey dumb [filtered] [filtered], a small research in Google, and it's obvious what this crap Xign does. Even Windows reps know of the fake [filtered] driver Xign installs, since they had numerous complaints about it. Both laptops are running like clockwork, just like this stupid update. NO BLUE SCREEN. And by the way, my salary was already in the six digits 15 years ago. Ask someone with a brain, with a minimum increase what could be my income. So 140$ a month for 3 people playing TERA was actually cheap. World of Warcraft was costing me 100$ a week, now that was a big chunk

Now shove your comment up your ignorant [filtered], i had enough of responding to a mental [filtered]. Have fun with the long queues.

I'm going to go into a list because you seem to be having difficulties.
    • Haha you still haven't figured out how to use the quote system.
    • You're calling me a moron, when can neither use the quote system properly, nor link me to a reliable source of information that shows exactly how XIGNCODE might be a significant security risk. You're instead throwing around words that end up being censored and insults that make no sense.
    • You're continuing to lie, and marching straight into the continent of cringe by making up an arbitrary amount of money you supposedly made. Nobody cares about what supposedly happened 15 years ago, either. Six digits? Sure, if you counted the two zeros to the right of the decimal. I'd also like to point out that WoW doesn't even cost $100 a month. Not even with two other people that could supposedly tolerate your presence long enough to play anything with you.

Except we already have reports of it causing blue screens and trashing systems so badly that it required a reinstall of the OS. Blaming its victims isn't going to help. Infected is the proper term when speaking of rootkit infections. Repeating its not malware, its not malware isn't going to make it so.

I'm not sure all that xigncode is doing, but its nature does seem to be that of a rootkit. As such, I wouldn't count on what the infected OS tells you about it.
  • MeningitisMeningitis ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Except we already have reports of it causing blue screens and trashing systems so badly that it required a reinstall of the OS. Blaming its victims isn't going to help. Infected is the proper term when speaking of rootkit infections. Repeating its not malware, its not malware isn't going to make it so.

I'm not sure all that xigncode is doing, but its nature does seem to be that of a rootkit. As such, I wouldn't count on what the infected OS tells you about it.
    A lot of things cause bluescreens, and not everything that causes a bluescreen is malware. Even a simple normal driver for your computer could rarely cause a bluescreen occasionally if it screws up. I don't know why some instances of xigncode3 are causing computers to bluescreen, but I can tell you I know for a fact that it is not intentionally doing that. Screwing up computers is the opposite of what xigncode3 wants to do because then it's client companies would want to switch anti-cheat services. Even though xigncode3 doesn't do it's job anyway and is a intrusive craptastic excuse for an anti-cheat program.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure with the right know-how you could fix a xigncode3 caused bluescreen problem without having to nuke it and reinstall the OS. People who have screwed up their pc beyond reasonable repair probably are people who were messing around in the registry and such without knowing what they're doing.

Xigncode3 is still garbage and should be given the boot though. :/
  • KillerPenguinsKillerPenguins ✭✭✭✭
    Meningitis wrote: »

A lot of things cause bluescreens, and not everything that causes a bluescreen is malware. Even a simple normal driver for your computer could rarely cause a bluescreen occasionally if it screws up. I don't know why some instances of xigncode3 are causing computers to bluescreen, but I can tell you I know for a fact that it is not intentionally doing that. Screwing up computers is the opposite of what xigncode3 wants to do because then it's client companies would want to switch anti-cheat services. Even though xigncode3 doesn't do it's job anyway and is a intrusive craptastic excuse for an anti-cheat program.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure with the right know-how you could fix a xigncode3 caused bluescreen problem without having to nuke it and reinstall the OS.

actually xigncode just interacts with some drivers badly. if it touches their protected memory at a bad time, that's a blue screen.. in cases like that, you'd have to get a new piece of hardware to correct xigncode's crappy programming. Earlier tonight, xigncode actually managed to crash my router software because it was trying to access the network drive incorrectly. I decided to unplug the drive, since xigncode scanning it causes my tera to hang for significant amounts of time anyway. It's looking like the only way to safely run tera right now is to have a brand new computer not connected to any network storage, with only tera installed and nothing else... Or just download the bypass from reddit and join the cheaters xigncode was trying to stop. :#
    actually xigncode just interacts with some drivers badly. if it touches their protected memory at a bad time, that's a blue screen.. in cases like that, you'd have to get a new piece of hardware to correct xigncode's crappy programming. Earlier tonight, xigncode actually managed to crash my router software because it was trying to access the network drive incorrectly. I decided to unplug the drive, since xigncode scanning it causes my tera to hang for significant amounts of time anyway. It's looking like the only way to safely run tera right now is to have a brand new computer not connected to any network storage, with only tera installed and nothing else... Or just download the bypass from reddit and join the cheaters xigncode was trying to stop. :#
    Thanks for the explanation penguin. I don't know that much about computers, so it's good to get extra info where I can.
  • Meningitis wrote: »

Anyway, I'm pretty sure with the right know-how you could fix a xigncode3 caused bluescreen problem without having to nuke it and reinstall the OS. People who have screwed up their pc beyond reasonable repair probably are people who were messing around in the registry and such without knowing what they're doing.

Never said that xigncode3 was meant to cause blue screens. That is likely a mishap that it isn't supposed to do. Since it is a rootkit, I'm guessing its messing with the underlying OS and causing problems in some cases as a result. If it was perfect, the player base may very well have been getting their systems owned and not even noticing. Instead, it sounds like it typically at least causes performance issues. Like I said before, I don't know everything that xigncode is actually doing. Xigncode isn't the kind of program that I consider ethical.
  • StitchedSoulStitchedSoul ✭✭✭✭
    They wanted to sneak it in so ppl wouldn't notice it in update and launch their cheat tools. There comes eme and bans all. (that was their plan) Thread about this stuff also one day will fade away from first pages and this means further cheaters will have eye on them.(its their future plan)
    The only question : If this $hitty software is able to send proper for bans info to eme or not?
    P.s. I understand their wish to deal with cheaters but Still this feels very silly move because bypasses really on every corner and not so hard to use even for unskilled user while ppl leaving due to buggs and fps drops.
    Never said that xigncode3 was meant to cause blue screens. That is likely a mishap that it isn't supposed to do. Since it is a rootkit, I'm guessing its messing with the underlying OS and causing problems in some cases as a result. If it was perfect, the player base may very well have been getting their systems owned and not even noticing. Instead, it sounds like it typically at least causes performance issues. Like I said before, I don't know everything that xigncode is actually doing. Xigncode isn't the kind of program that I consider ethical.
    That raises an interesting point- are there any anti cheat programs out there that actually work that most people would consider ethical? At this point, almost every online game I play uses Xigncode3 or one of it's competitors that seem to operate in a similar manner. Even if xigncode3 functioned well, did it's job, and was secure (lol)- would you consider it necessary to give up some of your privacy to ensure a fair game for everybody? Or is there a much better way to ensure a cheat-free game that isn't so skin-crawlingly intrusive? Or do you think a game's administration should just try to catch cheaters on a case by case basis? I'd like to hear people's thoughts on that.
  • Meningitis wrote: »
    That raises an interesting point- are there any anti cheat programs out there that actually work that most people would consider ethical? At this point, almost every online game I play uses Xigncode3 or one of it's competitors that seem to operate in a similar manner. Even if xigncode3 functioned well, did it's job, and was secure (lol)- would you consider it necessary to give up some of your privacy to ensure a fair game for everybody? Or is there a much better way to ensure a cheat-free game that isn't so skin-crawlingly intrusive? Or do you think a game's administration should just try to catch cheaters on a case by case basis? I'd like to hear people's thoughts on that.

Glad you asked.

I've heard that anti-cheat software does not need to be rootkit by design. The whole rootkit issue is probably my biggest issue with xigncode. Second biggest issue is that it isn't compatible with wine, so its not like I can launch the game currently anyway. I don't know much about xigncode's competitors, but I heard that Korean anti-cheat software packages tend to be rather rootkity. Maybe there are some western anti-cheat software packages that aren't rootkits.

My favorite anti-cheat scheme that I've heard of, though, would be the "cheat" server and "no cheat" server approach. Since cheats are allowed on the "cheat" servers they act as honeypots, attracting the cheaters to help keep the "no cheat" server low on actual cheaters. Due to the path of least resistance, cheaters should have a greater chance of being on one of the "cheat" servers since they would not need to worry about getting banned if they are playing on those servers.
  • ChristinChristin ✭✭✭
    I been reading the chat about XIGNCODE for days. I've not risked nor will i risk updating my TERA and having that thing run in the background scanning my personal files. Just taking a break from TERA until they remove it or the game closes up its doors. I thought it would be harder to quit but turns out its pretty easy when faced the risk of having your PC infected with a korean rootkit that scans and corrupts private files.

One strange thing i noticed reading the hundreds of posts is two people aggressively defending this, and only two people. Equitas and
    ElinUsagi. I'm not sure if they are the same person or people who work for EME. But if i had to guess they are different people since Equitas isn't a fanatic like the other person in defending it and has not as much blindly defended this malware rootkit. Just odd theres literally 2 people who love XIGNCODE being installed and scanning their files, while 99% of the other people don't want it anywhere near their systems.

Just strange if these people aren't EME employees or friends of employees because i have no idea why anyone would offer so much of their free time to help defend bad business practices of a company. If ElinUsagi isn't being paid to lobby for this malware, they should be, i've never seen such blind dedication and misdirection.

You guys realize there was a bypass literally before this thing was even applied to the launcher right? And from what i read in the discord even the proxy injection works as do every single illegal mod that worked before this rootkit was introduced. Not sure how many people are on hold or quit the game completely but in my wide view of it, seems not worth it unless they somehow are profiting from the data they are mining with this "anticheat" thing.

Just a sidenote, i played the game since its launch and have spend around 1000-1500 dollars through 3 active accounts i use. So i'm not a freeloader and it does hurt me to witness the death of TERA. This game has suffered permanent damage and been lead down a bad path from it poor leadership at Bluehole. No doubt Bluehole to blame since i've seen how poorly they run Pubg and how much they panic when Fortnite took over.

I don't think they are employees, but they seriously are in need of a biscuit and a pat on the head.

So many kept saying this was a dead and dying game anyways. It will most likely go the way of AVA in a few years. I don't get why so many are trying so desperately to do bypasses and installing the junk on more than one system. If it's crashing this and that, and you have to unplug or restore, isn't it just time to move on? Any program that has the capability to cause a blue screen shouldn't be welcomed.
  • Christin wrote: »

I don't think they are employees, but they seriously are in need of a biscuit and a pat on the head.

So many kept saying this was a dead and dying game anyways. It will most likely go the way of AVA in a few years. I don't get why so many are trying so desperately to do bypasses and installing the junk on more than one system. If it's crashing this and that, and you have to unplug or restore, isn't it just time to move on? Any program that has the capability to cause a blue screen shouldn't be welcomed.

In general, purposely installing rootkits is a bad idea.

Funny thing about AVA, I think I read somewhere that it was killed by xigncode. Don't know how true that is, but the irony is of ridiculous proportions if true. Wasn't AVA also one of EMEs games?
    Glad you asked.

I've heard that anti-cheat software does not need to be rootkit by design. The whole rootkit issue is probably my biggest issue with xigncode. Second biggest issue is that it isn't compatible with wine, so its not like I can launch the game currently anyway. I don't know much about xigncode's competitors, but I heard that Korean anti-cheat software packages tend to be rather rootkity. Maybe there are some western anti-cheat software packages that aren't rootkits.

My favorite anti-cheat scheme that I've heard of, though, would be the "cheat" server and "no cheat" server approach. Since cheats are allowed on the "cheat" servers they act as honeypots, attracting the cheaters to help keep the "no cheat" server low on actual cheaters. Due to the path of least resistance, cheaters should have a greater chance of being on one of the "cheat" servers since they would not need to worry about getting banned if they are playing on those servers.
    I guess where conversation comes to a standstill concerning Tera and Xigncode3 is that everyone hates it for good reasons, but no one seems to have an actual alternative to suggest. A lot of us guess that there's better ones out there but can't seem to come up with an example just yet. Maybe we should all look for alternatives, since removing xigncode3 from tera with nothing to replace it is obviously off the table for EME/BHS.

That cheat/no cheat sever separation kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth- especially since Tera by design pulls in players from across all servers to do group content (ims dg/battlegrounds). So to implement something like that you'd have to completely segregate the noncheat servers from the cheat ones which would probably cause Tera's small community to become more dysfunctional. Plus, a lot of people who really cheat do so to gain an edge over legitimate players. Having a blatantly labeled no cheat versus cheat server choice would lead me to think that the actual cheaters would pick the noncheat servers and try to cheat anyway since gaining an unfair advantage over legitimate players gives them their jollys. (And by "people who really cheat" I mean people who did trash like memeslashing, not people using stuff like meters. Even though it's all banned by EME since it's their game).

This discussion has been closed.