SUMMER FESTIVAL TOKEN NERF!!?

Comments

• I can actually understand why they did something like this.

I have 9 characters that are able to do the quests every day. Combined, they get almost 3 boxes every day for about 1 hour of quests combined. The quests themselves are very quick to do - the beach ones combined can be knocked out in 3 minutes, and the temple ones might take 5 at worst. That's only a bit more than an hour of farming each day for the boxes in my case. I'm almost certain that there are many people who have even more characters than I do and can grind the ever-living heck out of the boxes.

If the boxes were still offered at 20 tokens, then I'd have about 20 boxes a day. Many people out there would make like 30-40 per day, or possibly over 1000 over the course of the event. Taken together, that would make the costumes all but worthless for entire months after the event is over.

That's not necessarily a good thing in the end.
  • edited July 2018
    Serenade wrote: »
    Taken together, that would make the costumes all but worthless for entire months after the event is over.

Which is indeed exactly what happened last year, and is still affecting the swimsuit market to this day (certainly compared to how it was in all previous years before last). And given that this something they are also trying to sell on their cash shop (so it's important both to the paying customer and to the company that it's worth the asking price), it's doubly counterproductive to trash the items' gold value like they did. This year is a massive correction for last year's lapse.

If they're going to keep re-running this event, it should feel rewarding enough, absolutely, but there are plenty of other rewards they could add or offer that would do the job. If the issue is really that the event doesn't feel "worth doing," I still think that's the path to solving it.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    Equitas wrote: »
    SageWindu wrote: »
    Also, I just realized something: the cash shop Summer Boxes are fundamentally the same as last year, right? That means there's a layer of RNG the cash shop DOES NOT HAVE compared to its current in-game counterpart. Think about that for a moment.

The same Summer Boxes that reward you with items that were previously locked to the cash shop, which required you to spend real money. Think about that for a moment.

Except that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that this year's event has you essentially doing more work (~620% more on both sides...) for less of a reward (...for a chance at an old swimsuit that may not correspond to that character's race and gender).

So if you want to bypass the grind - much like last year - and also the extra layer of RNG involved - unlike last year - you better get ready to drop some dosh on the cash shop boxes.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have some pretty mean words for EME in my head right now as such...
  • EllexemEllexem ✭✭✭
    I feel that we kind of need to split the issue with the event.

On the one hand side, we have a need for the ambiance. A beach party, throw on a swimsuit, play in the water, sun yourself. Engage in some fireworks at the Temple of the Sun and wag your finger at the vampires for not getting into the spirit of the season. Throw some water balloons, have some imaginary super-soaker fights, eat some ice cream.

That's kind of the spirit of the event, and rewards should ideally make you feel as if you're part of that. (And to some degree they have that with different other extra tab items from the beach event, even if they seem to be largely pushed to the side due to people hording the tokens for the permanent items.)

This is the portion that I feel we can and should push to have things added to. Adding temporary swimsuits that you can 'rent' (read buy with tokens, as you used to be able to; consider it an option to more thoroughly preview different versions, if you will, in case they'd add all of the ones available), some beach raffle items, that can have something potentially fun (get your own water melon to chase you around, a beach towel you can lounge on, maybe some fun drink variations; just to throw out some ideas), maybe some new beach themed battleground (akin to the winter one; perhaps with wearing some kind of swimsuit as mandatory to be able to enter, so the temporary ones even have an actual purpose) or just some way to let you actually have a super-soaker item that changes out some skills so you can spray water around (much like how flying mounts and such change your skill bar -- please don't take this as me pushing for specifically the super-soaker, it's just the first item that comes to mind due to there being an in-game model for it).

Something that is part of the event, that you can look forward to as some fun diversion where you do things. The tokens you collect can perhaps be in part fare tokens to take the rides (instances, battleground, whatever; maybe along with a general 'wear swimsuit to get a discount or to be able to use this'), or 'rent' for temporary items, so you can have some more reason to want them. Your choice what you use them for.

The key takeaway for the event being: Get into a swimsuit and have fun, NOT time to farm a permanent swimsuit.

The other hand side is the issue with the permanent things you walk away with from the event. It should feel like something special if you get a permanent version of something here. An item that you can use all year, and not just during the seasonal event. The lootbox we have kind of spectacularly fails at providing this feeling.

In a way it feels as if they were trying to be too nice about giving us exactly just the amount of permanent items that they are comfortable with. No jumping through extra hoops, no fake temp prizes to clutter things up. Once you have that box, you are getting something permanent. Only without the surrounding filler, the low key rewards, it doesn't feel particularly great to get that box.

I mean, take the same lootbox and frame it differently:
    1. You buy a raffle ticket. One of several items on display. A lot of people buy them, only a few win. Prizes are what was available at the time. If you win you get what was there, use as you will.
    2. You buy a box that is guaranteed to have something permanent. Doesn't matter how many people buy them, you always get a prize.

The second strongly raises the expectation of 'This will be something I can use.' Which just primes you for disappointment. The first can more easily lend itself to a theme of temporary items and a lower ticket price. The end result can be the exact same number of permanent items for the amount of effort put in, but you are far more likely to be not so unhappy about not getting what you wanted with the raffle ticket, since it already primed you for that outcome.

TL;DR: Add a purpose to having even temporary swimsuits. Add more things to do.
  • ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭
    There really is a solution, but EME is too lazy to be bothered to implement it. On all of the other games I play, they actually create prizes for events. You know, so they aren't always giving away cash shop items. Temporary items still compete with the cash shop items. Why buy a swimsuit when you can just wear temp ones all summer?

If people are so worried about accounts with alts, turn the prizes back to the smart boxes and make then untradeable. No one should be playing the event to farm gold anyways. If people want to farm the event for their alts, they can as much as they want without hurting the precious economy. Sure, they won't be spending cash on suits, but if you spend enough time farming gold, you don't have to pay cash either. Better to make prizes untradeable than to stick people with suits they can't use and have to dump on the broker. Plus, making the smart boxes untradeable encourages players to buy those character slots and create more alts if they are lucky enough to get more suits than they need.
  • LinXiaoXingLinXiaoXing Jakarta, Indonesia ✭✭
    That event gives what? Summer bikini`s costume?
    nah.. i`m pass.. :#
  • and nothing...
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I have lost hope already EME will do anything to change the tokens. They clearly have no intentions of doing it, and now everything that @SingleBear said on discord feels like empty words used only to give us false hopes and to shut up some of us.

Way to go EME. You ask for feedback, but you do not act upon it. So many good possible solutions to the token cost dilema in this thread, and now 2 weeks have passed since the event started, and you guys have not done a single thing about it.
  • edited July 2018
    Zoknahal wrote: »
    They clearly have no intentions of doing it, and now everything that @SingleBear said on discord feels like empty words used only to give us false hopes and to shut up some of us.

Honestly, I'm not really sure there was much "false hope" given on Discord. This is what he said there on 25 June:
    SingleBear wrote:
    I am fully aware of the cost of the box last year. I made the decision to make the box more expensive. It shouldn't be a piñata popping out items we monetize. I am also including more ways to get tokens than just the summer festival events. [...] I don't think we are trying to make the event compete for IoD farming time. IoD should be a better source for materials. Events are supplemental activities.

And then in response to another comment...
    Madchen wrote:
    Well, anyway, tell me if you're fixing/making anything better than what it is now, I only got 2 tokens to test the shop and I regret so much losing those 5 minutes lol
    SingleBear wrote:
    @Madchen I am probably not going to make you happy with this event.

At this point, I am at least sure they won't change the price of content of this box on the merchant, as that'd be unfair to anyone who already bought them. The only hope is that maybe they consider adding some other option to the merchant, but the time for that is probably running out too.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, I just realized something: the cash shop Summer Boxes are fundamentally the same as last year, right? That means there's a layer of RNG the cash shop DOES NOT HAVE compared to its current in-game counterpart. Think about that for a moment.

The same Summer Boxes that reward you with items that were previously locked to the cash shop, which required you to spend real money. Think about that for a moment.

Except that's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that this year's event has you essentially doing more work (~620% more on both sides...) for less of a reward (...for a chance at an old swimsuit that may not correspond to that character's race and gender).

So if you want to bypass the grind - much like last year - and also the extra layer of RNG involved - unlike last year - you better get ready to drop some dosh on the cash shop boxes.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have some pretty mean words for EME in my head right now as such...

Cash shop items in free boxes from the event.

I'm done arguing with you. I'm trying to make one point and you keep bringing up a different one.

It's moot anyway. I've said my goodbyes to this event a long time ago and won't miss it when it's gone. Good luck, and may the Force be with you.

• edited July 2018
    I don't have time to farm "events" on alts. I did the event for about 1 week on 1 character, got enough tokens to get 1 lootbox from each token type. Got 2 headwear accessories. Meanwhile I'm hearing from people doing the event much more than I that the costumes they have received are mostly not for their race, and mostly for the least played races (Baraka, Aman). I threw in the towel at that point, it's simply not worth it, let alone fun.

If the problem is that too many farm it into the ground (which is what destroys most nice events), make the received items account bound.

I can farm my life away at this event on a ton of alts for something I probably can't use, or I can do a few dungeons (something i actually enjoy) and buy the usable item outright on the broker from some poor sap farming their life away instead. What an event! *rolls eyes*
  • StitchedSoulStitchedSoul ✭✭✭✭
    This is why i wrote in the other thread that i don't believe this words:

> @KitTeaCup said:
    > Hi everyone!
    >
    > The feedback is greatly appreciated. I'm doing my best to make sure to visit and post in the forums as much as I can!
    >
    > The Forums, Discord and Twitter are very important to us. You'll be seeing a lot more of me - and I look forward to working with you all :)

This wasnt a personal reply post. It was reply to all eme that they lie so often and easily, that they so rarely follow their own promises (its about how they will listen to feedback))) that i have no faith and no trust to them.
    And now i see that I was right.
    Summer event soon gonna pass and yet nothing was done. Bravissimo.

Amused by indifference of cms and staff.
This discussion has been closed.