[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/21 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Any chance of us getting this on PC Tera?

I was looking at some of Tera M's stuff, and a lot of the new armor and hair textures look pretty awesome! This npc elin's hair particularly caught my eye, though.
unknown.png
I don't know anything about how Tera M is developed or handled legally, but since Tera itself is owned by bluehole, would it be possible to see some of the stuff like new hairs come to the main version of Tera?

Comments

• ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I think is UE4 so there is little to no chance to get something similar... maybe we could if BHS think they can be sold better than current hair styles coupons.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    TERA M works under the Unreal4 Engine. While its possible to do a complete port from Unreal3 to Unreal4 for the PC TERA, it takes a considerable amount of manpower, time and resources. Altho porting the game from Unreal3 to 4 would fix most issues (ahemmm Optimization) its BHS who we talk about, they wont do it unless there is monetary gain. And currently, the monetary gain is in loot boxes. They are the kind of company (ahemmm looking at you EA) who would do the least amount of effort for the biggest buck, like re coloring a dragon pet to 3 different metallic colors, and selling them asa "brand new" item.
  • MeningitisMeningitis ✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts were that they could use the art assets and apply it to whatever they need to in Tera's current engine. As far as I know, Devilian used Tera's old character assets and they were on different engines as well (but I think Devilian was on Unreal4 as well, and it'd be logical to assume porting from older to newer would be easier I suppose.)
  • Furthermore, Netmarble licensed the TERA IP to develop/code TERA M; that included all the (costly) UE4 production work for the graphical assets in that game (including the animations and rigging). I believe most of the stylist coupon ones in PC TERA were 3rd party assets they purchased. For the above, Bluehole would need to have their graphics artists design the new style(s) as well as test them (so yes, it would come down to the production costs including the man hours involved). If they can monetize it and realize a decent ROI, they would do it.

Devilian used Gamebryo (a really old version too - 2.6) so that was a combined effort of Bluehole and Bluehole Ginno's graphic artists to reskin the entire game drawing upon a large number of TERA related assets (once the acquisition of GInno Games was completed by Bluehole). I've pulled Devilian's graphic assets out using a special setup with Blender (since I want to convert them to be able to pull them into Unreal Engine 4 in order to re-create my characters) and that is only one part. Rigging them with new bones and then animating them to work in another engine is another matter though. TERA M being UE4 and TERA being UE3.... I don't think the textures and meshes can be easily used in the older engine given the higher overall quality in the UE4 assets.
    Thanks for the really detailed explanation LordMurasama.

That's unfortunate, I'd really love to see cute hairstyles like this over on the main game. Most of the newer hairstyles in the coupon shop were kinda...bad. :(
  • Even if they can't bring it over directly from the other game, they probably could just create it again in the current engine with the same look/style. I do like the look of this one too.
  • JXE5356AKEJXE5356AKE ✭✭✭
    Even if they can't bring it over directly from the other game, they probably could just create it again in the current engine with the same look/style. I do like the look of this one too.

I mean if you consider the last batch of hairstyles were likely purchased assets (Bless online had the same hair options as our elins so they bought them too), and have color and shine quality and consistency issues, it is really questionable that they would be able to bring this over.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoknahal wrote: »
    They are the kind of company (ahemmm looking at you EA) who would do the least amount of effort for the biggest buck, like re coloring a dragon pet to 3 different metallic colors, and selling them asa "brand new" item.

Or like Riot with their chromas :v
  • Meningitis wrote: »
    Thanks for the really detailed explanation LordMurasama.

That's unfortunate, I'd really love to see cute hairstyles like this over on the main game. Most of the newer hairstyles in the coupon shop were kinda...bad. :(
    No problem. Bluehole could do it but I believe it's a bottom line cost issue with the production pipeline (across all pertinent races). However, they underestimate how well it would do IF a higher degree of effort was put into them (DLC in Japanese console titles like [email protected] and Dream C Club make a killing on hairstyles and accessory items). The stylist coupon ones were low grade effort being acquired ones but more so as noted, has issues with color consistency (which is where the added in-house work is required to better integrate them).

Majority of their resources are however currently allocated to PUBG (since the Korean team handles whatever graphics they did not just purchase off the marketplace) and Ascent: Infinite Realm though.

I'd like to see some better hairstyles in TERA myself. Like there's a particular one which Bluehole's graphics folks did in Devilian for the elin derived cannon shooter (aka cannoneer) which I would love to see.... this braided looped pigtails do.... even the physics worked well.

Good grief that's cute. I'd love that with fox ears (especially since fox elin got the short end of the stick with the newer haircuts with that ugly bowlcut).

Unless I hallucinated it, I'm pretty sure I read something from idi0ticgenius concerning upcoming elin brawler unlock. Maybe if we weep enough we'll get 2 new hairstyles or so when that releases.