[TERA Console] We will enter maintenance on 05/26 (Tue) at 7:00 p.m. PT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance
[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

Merge servers? make it only 3?

Comments

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    SageWindu wrote: »
    Shinku89 wrote: »
    Nobody is playing because there are tons of reasons for longer-term players to stop, e.g. maxed out xp on stormcry+9 on multiple alts, can't pvp because it's full of cheaters, fun content isn't rewarding at all if you're geared already (wtf do i need 300 elemental essence for lol?), rewarding content isn't fun at all if you're geared already (wow cool i can walk around iod one shotting bams and make thousands of gold but doing the hardest dungeon in the game is a profit of 1/10th of that!)

We don't need new content or server merges, we need a reason to play the game. Make end-game content that is rewarding to do, maybe a mode of HM dungeons that don't drop mats but drop fun stuff instead, i would rather have a loot box than another worthless veilthroch any day.

So true, top dungeons are not rewarding anymore, they should at least make it possible to sell runs like before (passing drops for the Oath gear for example, without the seller participating in the dungeon).

A quick and/or easy fix to that would be to remove both the bind-on-pickup and Round Robin/Dice Roll mechanics in regards to loot drops. Just let everyone get the item if it drops, with the only barrier being that someone needs to actually collect the item in question.

Yes, this means that a floormat would also get a rare drop without putting in much work, but this also means that the run doesn't end up being wasted because the aforementioned floormat won the dice roll on the rare drop and you didn't. Give and take and all that.

But I digress.

I'll tell you what a better fix would be, and I had this happen to me just today: Fix the mechanics where by if you stop to do a quest inside the dungeon, and the group zergs past it and kills the next boss, it kills your quest progression. This is the problem with random PUGs, such as what we get with matching. People will, after a few instances of this, either find a static group, or, what I've taken to doing, just come back later and solo it to get the story progression. Neither of these does anything for the randoms sitting in a queue, but, it does make it where you're pretty sure you're going to get what you're looking for quest wise in a dungeon. It's especially bad when you communicate to the group that you need it/want it, and nobody responds, and just zergs on by.

A server merge won't fix that either.

Leveling dungeons are a whole other can of peanut butter if you ask me. Having to do a dungeon to proceed with a quest: fine. Specifically having to do the 5-man version of that dungeon to proceed with a quest: wtf?

As you said, a server merge won't fix that, as it's once again an issue that exists outside of population density.
  • SageWindu wrote: »
    SageWindu wrote: »
    Shinku89 wrote: »
    Nobody is playing because there are tons of reasons for longer-term players to stop, e.g. maxed out xp on stormcry+9 on multiple alts, can't pvp because it's full of cheaters, fun content isn't rewarding at all if you're geared already (wtf do i need 300 elemental essence for lol?), rewarding content isn't fun at all if you're geared already (wow cool i can walk around iod one shotting bams and make thousands of gold but doing the hardest dungeon in the game is a profit of 1/10th of that!)

We don't need new content or server merges, we need a reason to play the game. Make end-game content that is rewarding to do, maybe a mode of HM dungeons that don't drop mats but drop fun stuff instead, i would rather have a loot box than another worthless veilthroch any day.

So true, top dungeons are not rewarding anymore, they should at least make it possible to sell runs like before (passing drops for the Oath gear for example, without the seller participating in the dungeon).

A quick and/or easy fix to that would be to remove both the bind-on-pickup and Round Robin/Dice Roll mechanics in regards to loot drops. Just let everyone get the item if it drops, with the only barrier being that someone needs to actually collect the item in question.

Yes, this means that a floormat would also get a rare drop without putting in much work, but this also means that the run doesn't end up being wasted because the aforementioned floormat won the dice roll on the rare drop and you didn't. Give and take and all that.

But I digress.

I'll tell you what a better fix would be, and I had this happen to me just today: Fix the mechanics where by if you stop to do a quest inside the dungeon, and the group zergs past it and kills the next boss, it kills your quest progression. This is the problem with random PUGs, such as what we get with matching. People will, after a few instances of this, either find a static group, or, what I've taken to doing, just come back later and solo it to get the story progression. Neither of these does anything for the randoms sitting in a queue, but, it does make it where you're pretty sure you're going to get what you're looking for quest wise in a dungeon. It's especially bad when you communicate to the group that you need it/want it, and nobody responds, and just zergs on by.

A server merge won't fix that either.

Leveling dungeons are a whole other can of peanut butter if you ask me. Having to do a dungeon to proceed with a quest: fine. Specifically having to do the 5-man version of that dungeon to proceed with a quest: wtf?

As you said, a server merge won't fix that, as it's once again an issue that exists outside of population density.

Agreed, although I don't mind it, in theory. I used to play an old Korean grinder called Rappelz, and the only way you leveled up, after 80, for the longest time was by forming up parties and running dungeons. They've since added quests post 80, but for a couple of years, that was it. So I'm used to the idea, but if they're going to do it, they need to make sure that you can get what you signed up for, no matter what the group's doing. Lock that door until the quest is done, or whatever, so that you don't spend an inordinate amount of time in a queue, only to not get the story part done. Make a story version, and remove the fancy drops, but this has me to the point where I don't really hit the queues any more, I just get to the dungeon, and then skip to the next story/part of the story and come back and solo it later. I'm not going to fault people that have done them 100s of times, or more, for wanting to zerg it. I'd want to as well, but it does put a crimp in the whole point of having the dungeons in the story if you can't get the story while you're in there.
  • kamizumakamizuma ✭✭✭✭
    Equitas wrote: »

You do see it. I don't know why you're trying to play dumb. You insert yourself into every one of these kinds of threads with "I have 80 characters! Everybody look at my high character number! I have characters across all the servers! Did you know I have 80 characters? Please notice all my characters!" We get it. It just doesn't matter because you have characters for the sake of having them. The point of an MMO is to play it, either the PvP or the PvE content that has been created, and you don't. I really don't understand how you can possibly get the notion that your opinion would hold the same merit as people who do actually run content and who want to make it easier to form groups to run said content.

Ya I continually ask that question because I want to know what's going to happen to them? Not sure why you're unable to comprehend this simple question lol. And I still have yet to receive a proper answer besides "deal with it just get your [filtered] deleted". If I get a legitimate answer that addresses my concerns then sure I'd support a merge but until then nah. Also I didn't just "make them for the sake of having them", I actually use them all and have spent a decent amount of time on each and every one of them. If I wanted to literally just inflate my character count to show off then why do I not have max characters on TR? There's more to this game than just pvp/pve but then again I'm not surprised you have such a narrow viewpoint.
    Equitas wrote: »

What?! That is exactly what it means. Sure, you could argue that "I focus on PvP instead." That would be a reasonable response if that was actually something you did. You don't PvE. You don't PvP. Those are the two focal points of an MMO. Given that you do neither, I don't know exactly how you think you "play" anything. The people who do actually do things on TERA want to have more people to do those things with, and a merge would help with that. They shouldn't have to pay to move when it isn't their responsibility to fix the problem. Why should they pay to fix someone else's mistake? Lastly, stop trying to act like you have an actual stake in this and that you're trying to voice a legitimate concern. You wouldn't not be affected in any significant way by a merger. People who do actually play, and thus would actually be impacted, have already weighed in.

Again, there's more to this game than pvp/pve. Ok so they shouldn't have to pay to move but I should have to "pay" by potentially losing a lot of stuff in a merge? Dude if I didn't have an actual stake in this then I could care less what happens and I wouldn't even post in these threads. But the fact stands that if we were to have a merge, what happens to all my excess characters I have that all have 2x+ bank pets filled with items??? What happens to my excess bank tabs/wardrobes. Are my items going to be permanently stuck in some temp bank where once I take it out I can't put it back in? Am I going to have to DELETE my characters that are all filled with hundreds of items just so I can log in (like the last merge)????
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    kamizuma and equitas romance :love:
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    kamizuma wrote: »
    And I still have yet to receive a proper answer besides "deal with it just get your [filtered] deleted". If I get a legitimate answer that addresses my concerns then sure I'd support a merge but until then nah.

That's the answer that we got 2 years ago with the server merge from 3 servers.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    And I still have yet to receive a proper answer besides "deal with it just get your [filtered] deleted". If I get a legitimate answer that addresses my concerns then sure I'd support a merge but until then nah.

Correct me if I'm wrong since my memory for stuff I don't give a dime anymore may be quite bad, but wasn't it also such that, when the 3 merged, accounts from those servers were given character slot in Fey Forest equal in count to the highest character slot count server you have?
    As in, you had 3 slots in Valley of Titans, 2 in Highwatch and 5 in Lake of Tears (were those the names? Heh memory might be better than I thought if so), in this scenario you would get 5 slots, instead of the sum of 10.

If that isn't a "Lol screw ya deal with it" then I don't know what is. They could very easily just do as Counterpoint said and make the slot count per account, regardless of server and you're set, but I don't see 'em doing it anytime soon, much less just because suddenly merge threads became weekly. "but people have been asking for merges since betaaa" whatever, it still ain't changing the problems with it.

Also, guys, please, just simply stop trying to force your point down other's throat as if others were selfish alone. EVERYONE is selfish here on their own ideas and everyone can pose their point as if it was a fact for the best of the community. None of us is "in the right" or wrong in this. They do need to deal with quite some issues on the server merge issue, and it's NOT a "fact" that the benefits will outweigh the disadvantages, it's just a matter of point of view.

Even saying that it's a temporary solution, might not be factual. It may even backfire as bad publicity of a dying game, fearmongering the current players and potential new ones. Again, none of this is fact, we have 0 data, it's just one of the many possibilities, that they do need to consider.
    But I will for sure say that if I have to start deleting characters to fit on servers, I'll not be happy "buT YoURe nOT eVEn plAYIN anymOORE", yeah whatever, may as well just not come back after it, just like many other possible thousands out there.
    The issues are there, the benefits are there too, the issues do have to be dealt with even before betting on the benefits.
  • ElinLove wrote: »

Correct me if I'm wrong since my memory for stuff I don't give a dime anymore may be quite bad, but wasn't it also such that, when the 3 merged, accounts from those servers were given character slot in Fey Forest equal in count to the highest character slot count server you have?
    As in, you had 3 slots in Valley of Titans, 2 in Highwatch and 5 in Lake of Tears (were those the names? Heh memory might be better than I thought if so), in this scenario you would get 5 slots, instead of the sum of 10.

If that isn't a "Lol screw ya deal with it" then I don't know what is. They could very easily just do as Counterpoint said and make the slot count per account, regardless of server and you're set, but I don't see 'em doing it anytime soon, much less just because suddenly merge threads became weekly. "but people have been asking for merges since betaaa" whatever, it still ain't changing the problems with it.

Also, guys, please, just simply stop trying to force your point down other's throat as if others were selfish alone. EVERYONE is selfish here on their own ideas and everyone can pose their point as if it was a fact for the best of the community. None of us is "in the right" or wrong in this. They do need to deal with quite some issues on the server merge issue, and it's NOT a "fact" that the benefits will outweigh the disadvantages, it's just a matter of point of view.

Even saying that it's a temporary solution, might not be factual. It may even backfire as bad publicity of a dying game, fearmongering the current players and potential new ones. Again, none of this is fact, we have 0 data, it's just one of the many possibilities, that they do need to consider.
    But I will for sure say that if I have to start deleting characters to fit on servers, I'll not be happy "buT YoURe nOT eVEn plAYIN anymOORE", yeah whatever, may as well just not come back after it, just like many other possible thousands out there.
    The issues are there, the benefits are there too, the issues do have to be dealt with even before betting on the benefits.

Actually, I do have some data, as a new player, and an altaholic, I'm done spending money here. I don't have enough money to just throw it away on things like bank and characters that I may not be able to keep. I so wanted to max out slots, and build a tank, at least, but nope. Not so long as it's going to be "choose who you delete so we can do a merge" that, in my own experience, doesn't solve queue problems anyway. What is the ratio of tanks/healers to dps toons? Now the matching system will let you run w/out a tank, but I have yet to see it put a group together with no healer. This is a more common issue with queues than population. How many static groups are there, with healers that won't run in a queue, since healers are notoriously hammered in PuGs? How many dungeons are run per day that never see the matching system? There's so much more to slow queue times than population, and this isn't speculation on my part, this is decades of experience dealing with queues.
  • Oh come on guys don't be so harsh on kamizuma he's pretty useful to the community and claims there's more than pve and pvp in tera like playing in the broker, increasing prices on broker, making everyone's life worse, manipulating the market. It's your fault guys for having such a narrow mind that you can't enjoy that wonderful broker content, but even if you can't enjoy broker, you can play pranks on people making a challenge where if someone can exchange 1 bronze with you, you will give them 100kk back but that will never happen because you can't exceed the maximum gold in your inventory, increasing your popularity as the coolest guy with the most important opinion about tera topics, that's why I think you guys are being too harsh on poor kamizuma, don't forget that he's part of the Player Council and why tera's such a good game with him in it.
  • DvsvDvsv ✭✭✭✭
    Tbh for me (and prob the vast majority of players), unless we are talking from a RMTer POV, theres's no fkn point to play this game daily to just "play the broker" and earn millions on useless virtual currency with 0 liquidity.

Who got the "narrow mind here"? You're playing a action video game dude, I'm pretty sure the original dev put a lot of effort on this ~50GB game to be much more than a "broker simulator" lol.
    Just ask yourself: If everyone quit this game cuz horrible "PVP/PVE" content, to whom will you sell your stuff?? lol
    I'm srry, but I think that EME first should hear the complaints from people who actually still play this game .
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭

as a player council member, couldn't you find out for us from eme what would happen about all of our characters and items if a server merger were to happen and what they plan to do if they decided to do it? I know the p.c. members don't really have any say so or power, but it seems like eme staff could at least let you guys know something and in turn tell us.
  • Ad hominem attacks are counterproductive. There are other examples in this thread beyond just this one case, and the validity of the argument doesn't depend on whether you agree on how one person plays the game (trying to discredit the argument by attacking the person saying it is a logical fallacy).

No matter what, people should not have to lose characters (for which they expanded their character slots) or bound items in a merger, nor should they have to buy even more character slots than what they already had to be able to keep using those characters. It doesn't matter if anyone thinks they don't "need" those characters; they used the character slots, and they shouldn't lose them. And it's not as though it's an inevitability to begin with -- EME could do a merger and find a way to deal with this problem at the same time.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    kubitoid the groomsman B)