[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

The aftermath of xigncode3

This is probably just speculation but I’m bring it up to ask other players on their opinion.

I find it really perfect timing that after the installation of xigncode3 that many players did not want installed. Which probably caused the drop in players in the last two months, which you can see on steam charts. I believe that xigncode3 is responsible for our upcoming server merge because of the sharp drop in player numbers. I am on TR and Highwatch and Velika is no longer high on channel population. What do you think? Is the timing of server merge concidenal or did xigncode3 cause it?

Comments

• clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    The server merge would have happened with or without Xigncode being included in the build, as the playerbase has been falling due to a number of reasons which include:
    1) Bad communication
    2) Fundamental lack of understanding of the community as a whole (EME do understand parts of the community, but not all of it)
    3) Lack of QA on everything, from official statements to in-game issues
    4) Gradual degradation of support functions
    5) Shift away from "Play to Win" to "Pay to Win"

====

Let me pose a different question: Did the inclusion of Xigncode3 in the NA build make EME do a server merge sooner than EME would have liked?
  • LancerJivaLancerJiva ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also the game is dying due to rinse and repeat same thing over and over and the lack of attention to pvp content.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    LancerJiva wrote: »
    Also the game is dying due to rinse and repeat same thing over and over and the lack of attention to pvp content.

Hmm... lack of attention in what way? From my perspective, pvp content is the only thing in the game worth doing; you get hundreds of free talents, even if you lose. Don't even have to meet an ilvl to get a reward, unlike pve, and I can do it as many times as I want in a day with no limit on vanguard dailies, unlike pve.

Do you mean how they don't ban obvious cheaters? Because that I could totally agree with.

In regards to the actual thread, the population had been dropping LONG before xigncode came along. People begged for a merge over a year ago when things were just starting to get bad.
  • edited July 2018
    The traffic drop in the summer is a consistent pattern in this game (which you can see reflected on Steamcharts in 2017, also cited above). XIGNCODE was basically a tempest in a teapot; a lot of people play or have played other Korean MMOs that use it. The main problem with it is that it is ineffective, and people didn't appreciate the way it was communicated. For some people this may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but the real issues are much more deep-seated. If they were to somehow solve some of these deep issues (optimization, class balance, less RNG, less-punishing gearing process, more focus on PvP, etc.) a lot of people would come back with or without XIGNCODE.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    Make Xigncode detect all the users that bypassed it. Have a delayed ban that triggers in 1 week like vac for 100 years so they can pass their account to their grandchildren. I would laugh so much if they would actually do that.

Not suprised the game is dying because after every patch the game get worse due to false masquerading p2w new gear system which was supposed to make it easier and less grindy. And soon +3 heroic vow guys..
  • MelyodisMelyodis ✭✭✭
    This is probably just speculation but I’m bring it up to ask other players on their opinion.

I find it really perfect timing that after the installation of xigncode3 that many players did not want installed. Which probably caused the drop in players in the last two months, which you can see on steam charts. I believe that xigncode3 is responsible for our upcoming server merge because of the sharp drop in player numbers. I am on TR and Highwatch and Velika is no longer high on channel population. What do you think? Is the timing of server merge concidenal or did xigncode3 cause it?

since before the code was implemented many have been asking for a merge so it's a lot or reasons why this merge is taking place not only the code is the be blamed. Also why do many base tera population on steam charts i mean i for one don't use steam. is it that the most players use steam to play tera.
  • TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If they were to somehow solve some of these deep issues (optimization, class balance, less RNG, less-punishing gearing process, more focus on PvP, etc.) a lot of people would come back with or without XIGNCODE.

Except none of those are EME issues - BHS needs to deal with them, and we should all know by now BHS doesn't care about non-Korean opinions.

You may say EME could do something about the gearing, but from the undertone of some of the more recent EME staff comments, it sounds like BHS won't let them. I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's BHS that said no to our permanent double vanguards, that BHS said no to triple vanguards on a regular basis. And since EME can't speak out against their Korean overlords - not if they want to keep their jobs - all they can do is play dumb about it. To be honest, I'm not sure Xigncode is something EME can control/discuss either. I'm sure the hive mind told it's happy little drones they were adding it to the game, and that's that.

While I think the addition of Xigncode is part of the reason we're getting a server merger sooner rather than later, I think the real problem on EME's end is that they've forgotten one very important thing: games are supposed to be FUN. Granted, BHS doesn't seem to be helping on that front, but it just seems like every decision EME has been making lately has made Tera less fun in an attempt to get people to spend money on the game. Yes, I get this is a business and the goal is to make money, but to make money, you need players, and to get players, your game needs to be FUN. When your game isn't fun, players leave and go find one that is. You need to find a balance between the two, and right now EME, you're totally missing it.

You don't need to look any further than the summer festival this year. Is anyone still doing this 6 week slog? Last year, the festival sites were packed, this year, they're empty. Yes, last year's event was broken, but this year is twice as broken in the opposite direction. EME, you've had a year to figure out a solution to this problem, and this was the best you could come up with? Dear EME, these mindless mini-games AREN'T fun! At least not on their own, and certainly not over a 6 week span. Players do them for the rewards. When they rewards don't match the effort/time put in, it's not fun.

Gameforge seems to have found a balance between keeping the lights on and having a fun game for Tera EU; at least a better one than we have in Tera NA. I think it's time EME stopped acting like it will turn them to stone if they even think of looking at anything Tera EU related and start shamelessly stealing some of Gameforge's ideas. I just hope it's not already too late.
  • TJKat wrote: »
    Except none of those are EME issues - BHS needs to deal with them, and we should all know by now BHS doesn't care about non-Korean opinions.

To be clear, I just chose those issues because they're basically the "big rocks" that would make the most difference on a wide scale. It wasn't trying to dismiss or sidestep the smaller things that EME could do.

For example, I've hounded on updates to merchants (like fashion coupons, reward emporium, previously fed bills, etc.) for years. Does this solve any of the game's big problems? No, not at all. But it's a nice little thing that EME can do to spread goodwill. (The emporium is also something that ties to the cash shop, so it seems to me it would have been a priority a long time ago, but that's just me...)

The summer event, as you point out, was a flop this year. Honestly, I'm not sure that it was really going to bring anyone gone back to the game if it had been better, but it at least would have, again, spread some goodwill/cheer. There are ways to run it that would balance out effort/reward and this wasn't it (it ran too long, as you said, and the rewards weren't worth the long slog).

The biggest problem you're alluding to, fundamentally, is about player morale. Player morale is low because, in addition to the game itself being in a tough state, there's a lot of negativity towards EME in general (and a lot of "the grass is greener" looking at Gameforge these days). XIGNCODE played a part in that, probably less because of the software itself (most people here have played BnS or BD or PUBG, or other games with it), but because of how it all went down. Even something like the daily deals... in and of itself I don't think it's a problem, but having that window front and center every time you load the game sends a message about what's important. And now this merger happens... it all helps to paint a picture of the game's current declining state.

If EME wants to solve this problem, they have to make it a priority, and I really feel that -- thus far -- they have their hands full just trying to tread water and not drown. But meanwhile, morale continues to suffer, and that indeed does cause people to quit.
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    I lost a few friends long ago but removing XIGNCODE3 won't change that anyways so meh :shrug:
  • KeepDreamingKeepDreaming ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    I think a lot of people fail to realize that a lot of the issues with TERA are things that EME cannot handle themselves. As stated expertly above, I too have a sneaking suspicion that EME is being told what to do by BHS and what they say is what goes. There's also a lot of speculation that I feel like people just need to let go of. Not all of it is true, and having these threads being made left and right is just deterring more players. Instead of talking bad about what the company does; suggest how they can do it better.

Just talking bad about what EME does isn't helping, and while as much as I'd like to say that they do X and Y wrong... It's just going to deter more people from playing the game if the remaining playerbase is just trash talking the game. You might call people shills for talking good about EME, but they have the right idea sometimes. I don't think you should not disagree with what the company is doing, but I think you need to take a step back...

I disagree with people who bring up the fact that BHS is making TERA more pay to win. If anything, that's the main thing EME has control over. kTERA's economy/store is ran by BHS, but the store here is ran by EME. Same with Gameforge, I mean, look at their store; it's P2W, and much more so than it is here. You can disagree with that all you'd like, but their selling of a Combat Accelerator would like to disagree with you.

--

To further quote what was said above me:
    The biggest problem you're alluding to, fundamentally, is about player morale. Player morale is low because, in addition to the game itself being in a tough state, there's a lot of negativity towards EME in general (and a lot of "the grass is greener" looking at Gameforge these days). XIGNCODE played a part in that, probably less because of the software itself (most people here have played BnS or BD or PUBG, or other games with it), but because of how it all went down. Even something like the daily deals... in and of itself I don't think it's a problem, but having that window front and center every time you load the game sends a message about what's important. And now this merger happens... it all helps to paint a picture of the game's current declining state.

I feel like if anything, this constant "EME is doing things wrong", is what makes people quit. You can be annoyed, you can point fingers, but you're not helping anyone by doing this. Attacking the only people who have a chance to save the game that you care about isn't going to help. Constantly going at the team and the game itself just isn't going to work. All you're doing is showing that our community morale is low, as stated above, and that alone can easily deter players.

--

I think everyone in this community, and I mean anyone who even slightly cares about playing this game in the future needs to take a step back and realize something... No, EME isn't doing the best job, but it could be much, much worse. naTERA is not P2W, sure you can pay to speed through the end-game faster... But the reality of that is, it's RNG. You won't always get lucky with what you pay for. If you don't like paying, don't. If you have more than one account at end-game, you can go from Mid tier to High tier gear in ~2 weeks. I've experienced it myself, as with my guild... On the most dead server, mind you (AV). People have this "grass is greener" mentality without even probably playing on the EU version of TERA. Go take a serious look at their cash shop, and tell me that you still feel like NA is "P2W"... Oh wait, unless you make an account, you can't actually view their shop.

--

Also, I'd like to quote something from above;
    Lapomko wrote: »
    Make Xigncode detect all the users that bypassed it. Have a delayed ban that triggers in 1 week like vac for 100 years so they can pass their account to their grandchildren. I would laugh so much if they would actually do that.

You'd laugh so much because they'd lose ~50% of their active playerbase? You should go see the staggering numbers of the discord for the program that hosts the bypass. It's in the thousands, iirc it was 2-3k, which is more than the current steam playerbase on average as well... As much as I might disagree with the use of the bypass, I at least realize how detrimental it would be to the future of the game.
  • IxWolfie wrote: »
    I feel like if anything, this constant "EME is doing things wrong", is what makes people quit. You can be annoyed, you can point fingers, but you're not helping anyone by doing this. Attacking the only people who have a chance to save the game that you care about isn't going to help. Constantly going at the team and the game itself just isn't going to work. All you're doing is showing that our community morale is low, as stated above, and that alone can easily deter players.

That being said, I think people get easily lost on this point, and assume you're saying "stop pointing out what EME is doing wrong." But really, the point is just to keep a constructive tone. And that means, even if people are mad/frustrated/disappointed about the state of the game, to resist hyperbole, fabrications, unnecessary drama, and personal attacks. 90%+ of the time I argue against "criticism" on this forum, it's because of argumentative failures like that. Why? Because those types of poor arguments only hurt our chances at being listened to, and eliminating that kind of cruft puts into focus what the true problem is, and hopefully ways to solve it.

I realize a lot of people feel burnt out from "trying" to be constructive, but if you actually do care about the future of the game, you have to try to work with what we've got. At the same time, there are also a number of people on this forum who are just here for the schadenfreude of "watching the game die," and letting them define the tone is admitting defeat.
This discussion has been closed.