[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Tera's PvP is Awful (and here is why)

Quick disclaimer: I'm no pro at PvP, but I have played enough matches to quickly see the many flaws of Tera's PvP. This is mainly aimed towards FWC and CS, and I do not doubt I'm missing more flaws. Feel free to discuss your opinion in a calm manner, or make known of more flaws.
Let's not waste any more time or beat around the bush. My top six reasons:

1) Diminishing returns. This is an important mechanic to balance CC (crowd control), and allow you to actually play your character. It essentially reduces the duration of the same type of CC by half if it's reapplied (I.e Stunned for 6 seconds, reapplied, stun for 3, reapplied, stun for 1.5, reapplied, stun for 0, or immune to stun for x amount of time). As we should all know, CC in Tera does NOT have this, so you can literally be stun-locked by multiple players until you die, unable to do anything.

2) Surplus of CC There is far too many ways to CC someone. A list of all the CC in the game: Stun, sleep, stagger, knock-up, knockdown, slow, root. Out of all that I listed, stagger is the worst IMO as it interrupts an ability or animation you make and can be reapplied endlessly due to no DR (diminishing returns). It's particularly imbalanced because healer classes have the least balance factor, so every form of cc is basically 100% guaranteed.

3) Toxic community. The game's playerbase is quite small, and lots of people know each other now. They instantly kick whomever has a bad reputation for feeding or being mean to someone who is well-known, OR if they have PvE crystals instead of PvP. However, I understand PvP is competitive by nature, but some people take it too seriously.

4) Poor Optimization. It can get pretty laggy for some people I've heard, especially with that xigncode spyware they added to the game. Another thing, gray blobs as replacers for character models, not possible to see animations and they teleport around constantly instead of running. Can set player limit on screen to unrestricted but you'll still always have this issue. They teleport, so if you cast a game-changing giga to that enemy standing completely still, you'll die a little inside as the enemy teleports away and you miss.

5) Queue sync or EQ. OH BOY. Tera has this neat feature where if you queue at the same time as someone else (or an ENTIRE GUILD) via countdown in chat or voicechat, you will 99% of the time be on the same team as them. Great, isn't it? This is bad because you'll rarely be on the winning team. Thankfully guild events like that happen usually pretty late at night, but a lot of good players that others would consider "gg we lost" when they see them on opposite team like to sync queue together.

6) Gear difference. Corsair's Stronghold is balanced in a way because everything shares the same gear, more or less. Fraywind Cancer is the worst, because people could have +9 SC full (or heroic) and 2 shot people given the default gear for their actual gear being below stormcry. It basically just means that you as a player will make no significant impact through damage until you reach the most endgame gear (good luck new players!!).

7) Glitchs/hacks. Not as many that I know of, but a few common ones I've seen around are Injection and Memeslash. I do not know the math or technicalities behin these hacks, but Injection will teleport you anywhere (yeah I think that does mean the crystal in CS), and Memeslash alters the damage of a spell you use to one shot anyone hit by it. Luckily the community is rather quick to kick, report, and blacklist these players caught using it, but if you were hoping they'd get punished for it, nice joke. It's rather difficult to detect and prove unless someone is recording or taking screenshots.

Comments

• NikuroTegaNikuroTega ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to Tera PvP! Either enjoy your stay and adjust, or join the PvE scene.
  • WaterIsWet wrote: »
    1) Diminishing returns. This is an important mechanic to balance CC (crowd control), and allow you to actually play your character. It essentially reduces the duration of the same type of CC by half if it's reapplied (I.e Stunned for 6 seconds, reapplied, stun for 3, reapplied, stun for 1.5, reapplied, stun for 0, or immune to stun for x amount of time). As we should all know, CC in Tera does NOT have this, so you can literally be stun-locked by multiple players until you die, unable to do anything.

2) Surplus of CC There is far too many ways to CC someone. A list of all the CC in the game: Stun, sleep, stagger, knock-up, knockdown, slow, root. Out of all that I listed, stagger is the worst IMO as it interrupts an ability or animation you make and can be reapplied endlessly due to no DR (diminishing returns). It's particularly imbalanced because healer classes have the least balance factor, so every form of cc is basically 100% guaranteed.
    All prevent-able/cleanse-able (except giga) sub one second by Kaia's, Arise, Cleanse, Brooch, Rallying cry etc etc... I for one prefer non-diminishing returns as it encourages team play in their ability to stack stuns and kd's to annihilate one person. People shouldn't be rewarded for getting caught out by 5 people with stun immunity after getting stunned three times.
    WaterIsWet wrote: »
    3) Toxic community. The game's playerbase is quite small, and lots of people know each other now. They instantly kick whomever has a bad reputation for feeding or being mean to someone who is well-known, OR if they have PvE crystals instead of PvP. However, I understand PvP is competitive by nature, but some people take it too seriously.
    Seems like a pretty simple solution. Follow your team, don't wear PvE crystals. Some of these PvPer's have been doing these BGs for years and are extremely frustrated with the influx of PvE players in BGs not caring enough to switch their crystals or even try. Which is a result of the big increase in rewards when you lose in BGs. Also, it's the internet, people are toxic. This isn't new.
    4) Poor Optimization. It can get pretty laggy for some people I've heard, especially with that xigncode spyware they added to the game. Another thing, gray blobs as replacers for character models, not possible to see animations and they teleport around constantly instead of running. Can set player limit on screen to unrestricted but you'll still always have this issue. They teleport, so if you cast a game-changing giga to that enemy standing completely still, you'll die a little inside as the enemy teleports away and you miss.
    I agree.
    5) Queue sync or EQ. OH BOY. Tera has this neat feature where if you queue at the same time as someone else (or an ENTIRE GUILD) via countdown in chat or voicechat, you will 99% of the time be on the same team as them. Great, isn't it? This is bad because you'll rarely be on the winning team. Thankfully guild events like that happen usually pretty late at night, but a lot of good players that others would consider "gg we lost" when they see them on opposite team like to sync queue together.
    Gosh forbid I can't do the one PvP-related thing outside of CU with my friends in a mass PvP game. You used to be able to queue as 5 in FWC/CS and those were the good days.
    6) Gear difference. Corsair's Stronghold is balanced in a way because everything shares the same gear, more or less. Fraywind Cancer is the worst, because people could have +9 SC full (or heroic) and 2 shot people given the default gear for their actual gear being below stormcry. It basically just means that you as a player will make no significant impact through damage until you reach the most endgame gear (good luck new players!!).
    Only need +4/+5 SC to not get annihilated. Patch has been out since October 2017, pretty late to complain about gear unless you're new.
    7) Glitchs/hacks. Not as many that I know of, but a few common ones I've seen around are Injection and Memeslash. I do not know the math or technicalities behin these hacks, but Injection will teleport you anywhere (yeah I think that does mean the crystal in CS), and Memeslash alters the damage of a spell you use to one shot anyone hit by it. Luckily the community is rather quick to kick, report, and blacklist these players caught using it, but if you were hoping they'd get punished for it, nice joke. It's rather difficult to detect and prove unless someone is recording or taking screenshots.
    Valid point. Good thing we got XIGN code to stop all of this XD.

You do make some good points but a lot of it is out of EME's control unfortunately.
  • DigivolveDigivolve ✭✭✭✭
    ZingoPingo wrote: »
    Gosh forbid I can't do the one PvP-related thing outside of CU with my friends in a mass PvP game. You used to be able to queue as 5 in FWC/CS and those were the good days.
    Coincidentally your friends are all sc9 or HO and too scared to que without each other once they get drunk on broken matchmaking that always puts high elo vs low elo in a steamroll games that keep driving players away. Coincidentally thanks to sync. But it's okay, you're innocent because using a broken system isn't your fault for exploiting it, it's EME/BHS's for not fixing it!
  • RKCRKC ✭✭✭
    The reason I dont do PVP is not because TERA PVP sucks its just that I have 300 ping. I bet someone still good at TERA PVP even with 300 ping. Im just too lazy to practice :astonished:
  • VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    Look at all these things that BHS will basically never fix...Thank you so much for these out, it will be so helpful

/sarcasm
  • Who cares about all of that anyway , just mystic thrall everything (soon™ in bg) !
  • ZingoPingoZingoPingo ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Digivolve wrote: »
    Coincidentally your friends are all sc9 or HO and too scared to que without each other once they get drunk on broken matchmaking that always puts high elo vs low elo in a steamroll games that keep driving players away. Coincidentally thanks to sync. But it's okay, you're innocent because using a broken system isn't your fault for exploiting it, it's EME/BHS's for not fixing it!
    Coincidentally my friends and I came back to Tera (Turn Up) 5 months after the SC patch was released, all in FM+7 to SC +2/3/4, so the same sad song about gear is irrelevant. ....? Insane how people pull the full +9 card 10 months into the patch.

Also not sure how you're so upset about me wanting to play a video game with my friends in literally the only PvP that happens. I'm not saying syncing is a perfect thing, I wish 5 man queues were still a thing. But seriously, if I'm in a community/guild I game with daily; you can bet I'm not playing a PvP BG by myself, where if I end up with no tanks, no priests, no people talking, and 8 people named X.Ghost.Dragonman.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    People that got +9 SC early abused the game broken events to hoard a lot of valuable items but that was the fault of EME. Or some folks farm non stop and devote their life to the game. I know some guys that always sells loads of gems/talents on TB or to me after few days from die hard farming or buying gold illegally...

Sadly this applies to Every PvP community in any game I have ever played; PvP is by its nature just a troll Magnet, if your willing to deal with it, cool, if not Not, just as cool. But Trolls just come with the package.

• ZingoPingo wrote: »
    Coincidentally my friends and I came back to Tera (Turn Up) 5 months after the SC patch was released, all in FM+7 to SC +2/3/4, so the same sad song about gear is irrelevant. ....? Insane how people pull the full +9 card 10 months into the patch.

Also not sure how you're so upset about me wanting to play a video game with my friends in literally the only PvP that happens. I'm not saying syncing is a perfect thing, I wish 5 man queues were still a thing. But seriously, if I'm in a community/guild I game with daily; you can bet I'm not playing a PvP BG by myself, where if I end up with no tanks, no priests, no people talking, and 8 people named X.Ghost.Dragonman.

You're assuming every in this game has played the full 10 months. Took you 5 months to get FM+7 and SC +2/3/4? Now imagine a new player trying to get all that.

You're assuming every in this game has played the full 10 months. Took you 5 months to get FM+7 and SC +2/3/4? Now imagine a new player trying to get all that.

No I'm saying we jumped back into the patch with that gear, because we had behemoth/oblit in October when we stopped playing. And I'd reckon 70% of the playerbase has been playing the last 10 months. Tera doesn't seem to breed many new players, at least from my observations in BGs last month.