[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Jtera Classic server?

@KitTeaCup I understand this may not be something the NA team can even answer at this time, but I was wondering if the news about a JTera 'Classic Server' might be a hint towards a similar option in the future for NA/EU? Many players have asked for years about classic servers or news related to them, and now that we have seen JTera taking steps to release one, I expect many people will feel encouraged to ask about the idea more for NA.

The idea really excites me; playing in Queen patch was some of the most enjoyable time spent in-game for me, personally. Having a chance at a completely fresh start bundled with the nostalgia sounds amazing. I can't speak for everyone, but I know the majority of people I speak to miss the days of BAMs being a legitimate challenge, or dungeons requiring a full party and communication pre-65. The changes made to Tera have not been all bad, but many of them have been recieved very poorly as they seem to direct the game as a whole towards rushing to 65 to spam the same stuff repeatedly in hopes of getting BiS gear. I miss being encouraged to enjoy the game as a lowbie.
«1

Comments

  • BabbelsimBabbelsim ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    This is something i would love to see happen for a long time, even if its just a event for a few months.
    Maybe now that JTera is doing it and hopefully the feedback on it is positive there is a chance for it to happen over here.

    Maybe after the server merges? ;)
  • I really hope they consider it. People would probably be fine with pay-to-play to avoid some of the cash shop pitfalls.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I think this is a cute idea, think about how much more dead the normal servers would be and how poorly managed that stuff would be.

    EME has to work on the population of normal servers first, something like this sounds too complicated for them considering they have troubles maintaining normal builds with 7+ hr maints etc.
    I could see gameforge doing this as they have experience with making servers like those, eme tho? lol no
  • i hope we get it for NA TERA too. i really hated the Reaper update. starting from the Reaper update is what really killed TERA and made majority of the people drop out of this game. i remember before that, every major cities like Velika, Allemantheia, and Kaiator were always packed with 200+ people.
  • edited August 2018
    As we discussed in the other thread, keep in mind that what J-TERA is doing is only an approx. six-week event server. You basically get it as it was for six weeks, and then after that all the updates are applied and it's a regular server again (caught up to the latest patch).

    So for people who are looking at this and hoping it'd be a permanently-supported version of the game that just always remains at the old build... that's not what this is. It just gives people a chance to relive it temporarily (or experience it for the first time if they missed it), and then will go away again. To actually build a permanent server would be a whole different story (because you'd actually have to come up with a business model to support it, and port back an awful lot of stuff).
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    HeyTeacher wrote: »
    i hope we get it for NA TERA too. i really hated the Reaper update. starting from the Reaper update is what really killed TERA and made majority of the people drop out of this game. i remember before that, every major cities like Velika, Allemantheia, and Kaiator were always packed with 200+ people.

    TERA went from 11 servers to only 3 on NA on 4 months after being launched and Reaper was launched more than a year after.

    So no, Reaper didnt kill TERA and people on forums like to make things of what was the reason.

    Sadly TERA failed on every region it launched and the only thing that saved TERA from not being shutdown in the second year was actually Elins.
  • ElinUsagi wrote: »
    HeyTeacher wrote: »
    i hope we get it for NA TERA too. i really hated the Reaper update. starting from the Reaper update is what really killed TERA and made majority of the people drop out of this game. i remember before that, every major cities like Velika, Allemantheia, and Kaiator were always packed with 200+ people.

    TERA went from 11 servers to only 3 on NA on 4 months after being launched and Reaper was launched more than a year after.

    So no, Reaper didnt kill TERA and people on forums like to make things of what was the reason.

    Sadly TERA failed on every region it launched and the only thing that saved TERA from not being shutdown in the second year was actually Elins.

    lol, then you weren't there when Reapers used to one shot people in battlegrounds. if you thought Brawler or Valkyrie at launch was cancer, then think again. it was no where close to how broken and cancerous Reapers were at launch in both pvp and pve. you could even clear WHHM really fast with a full Reaper DPS raid using Steadfast gear, lmao. also for the major cons, there were some that did trap runs like the daily 3/5/7 and WHNM. only the ones who knew how to play the class (which there were quite a lot of people) knew how easy and broken it was.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    HeyTeacher wrote: »
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    HeyTeacher wrote: »
    i hope we get it for NA TERA too. i really hated the Reaper update. starting from the Reaper update is what really killed TERA and made majority of the people drop out of this game. i remember before that, every major cities like Velika, Allemantheia, and Kaiator were always packed with 200+ people.

    TERA went from 11 servers to only 3 on NA on 4 months after being launched and Reaper was launched more than a year after.

    So no, Reaper didnt kill TERA and people on forums like to make things of what was the reason.

    Sadly TERA failed on every region it launched and the only thing that saved TERA from not being shutdown in the second year was actually Elins.

    lol, then you weren't there when Reapers used to one shot people in battlegrounds. if you thought Brawler or Valkyrie at launch was cancer, then think again. it was no where close to how broken and cancerous Reapers were at launch in both pvp and pve. you could even clear WHHM really fast with a full Reaper DPS raid using Steadfast gear, lmao. also for the major cons, there were some that did trap runs like the daily 3/5/7 and WHNM. only the ones who knew how to play the class (which there were quite a lot of people) knew how easy and broken it was.

    Now someone here is complaining about being oneshotted?

    I remember how some "pvpers" were dedicated to one shot new players at Reapers and Gunners launch, griefing over new players and leading a mass quit from them to the game, because there were guilds and many players camping all channels over the starting area for players that ended their tutorial at Island of Dawn but they couldnt continue at all because those players camping all channels and for many hours and several days.

    If you are going to defend your argument with that then I can make also the statement above.

    TERA downhill is basically because the game was never good for most of the people, and toxic players griefing over new players in 2 straight years only acelerated the game to get even worst in population.
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    LoganBlake wrote: »
    @KitTeaCup I understand this may not be something the NA team can even answer at this time, but I was wondering if the news about a JTera 'Classic Server' might be a hint towards a similar option in the future for NA/EU? Many players have asked for years about classic servers or news related to them, and now that we have seen JTera taking steps to release one, I expect many people will feel encouraged to ask about the idea more for NA.

    The idea really excites me; playing in Queen patch was some of the most enjoyable time spent in-game for me, personally. Having a chance at a completely fresh start bundled with the nostalgia sounds amazing. I can't speak for everyone, but I know the majority of people I speak to miss the days of BAMs being a legitimate challenge, or dungeons requiring a full party and communication pre-65. The changes made to Tera have not been all bad, but many of them have been recieved very poorly as they seem to direct the game as a whole towards rushing to 65 to spam the same stuff repeatedly in hopes of getting BiS gear. I miss being encouraged to enjoy the game as a lowbie.

    I wish our new cm could be able to go back and play classic tera before the fate of arune patch, then she would be more inclined to ask bhs for us to have a permanent classic server. its hard for people to be all in for something if they never got to experience it and had been able to create memories associated with it. I know people say that we will get tired of the nostalgia of a classic server, but so far civil unrest isn't as fun as nexus was, waiting a month for cs to pop isn't as fun as it was when we were all able to go to cs starting at level 30, babysitting island isn't nearly as fun as original island of dawn was. eme staff was supposed to look into bringing back original island of dawn this year but we never heard back from him what bhs's reply was. alliance was more fun than civil unrest, and we got to play everyday. yes cs was a little aggravating at times back when it was level 30 and up due to new people not knowing anything about their class or listening to the leader, but the only thing that's changed about that is, you have to be level 65 now, people still don't learn their classes or listen to a party leader. yes babysitting island is streamlined to level you up faster , to hurry up to 65 where you do the same thing over and over again. island of dawn was very new friendly and taught you stuff. when you leveled up alts on iod, it didn't take that much longer than stepstone isle. also with iod, you could hang out and talk to the new people, people could party up to do the quests, it was beautiful and the music was so relaxing. even the last area of it was spooky looking.
    if we did have a permanent classic server, maybe they could make that the role playing server with no new updates or whatever and I think people would still love it. or they could make it like a training server.
    please make it happen eme
  • Honestly, hope we get the legacy servers. I [filtered] hate seeing the new classes at this point.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason I feel like many that want the permanent classic server would get really fed up of running on a horse to all corners just to be able to get a TP point to that place. Then, they would also stop complaining about current gear grind when the 15 tiers of "rare", "uncommon" and what were all the options of each part (boots to enchant boots, gloves to enchant gloves and so on) and tons of different alkahests start to get annoying, or when you have to run to an NPC on a town to learn your skills...

    There's definitely a lot of rotten on TERA nowadays, no doubt about it. But I really don't fool myself with all rosy memories of 2014, let alone days I haven't played. As an event I'm sure it would be hella fun to try out, no doubt about that too, but I don't think a classic server and normal servers could coexist on the same time. They would both kill each other in the end if it became permanent, and I don't know much about the health status of the game that is now on phase of merging servers, to create not just a new server, but a whole new old build of the game and run this either concurrently to the current one, or instead of.

    TL;DR: I'm skeptical (doubt a lot actually) on the viability of this even for an event here, but I sure would like to try that out so go for it. As a permanent thing, no way that would work.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    ElinLove wrote: »
    I don't think a classic server and normal servers could coexist on the same time. They would both kill each other in the end if it became permanent, and I don't know much about the health status of the game that is now on phase of merging servers, to create not just a new server, but a whole new old build of the game and run this either concurrently to the current one, or instead of.

    This is exaclty what I think actually.

    It is either have only the legacy server or not having it at all because both builds at the same time will make the current servers and the legacy server to be like the current servers people complain are dead. So yeah, people loves to make up complains without even thinking about the current state of the game and how that idea can make more harm than good.
  • SemetalSemetal ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    While I would also love to see classic servers, I doubt that they will come to EU/NA. They are currently exclusive to JTERA which as far as I know is the main source of income for this game. It's doing even better than KTERA.
    So one could assume that it's an experiment to see how popular/lucrative classic servers would be but it could also be that it's just a JTERA exclusive thing and we'll never get it.
    I don't want to be overly negative but both NA and EU TERA have always done a poor job at implementing player feedback - partly because they don't have a development team and the other part well...
    So as I said while i'd love to see classic servers and would return to this game in a heartbeat if there were some, I wouldn't get my hopes up.
  • PagesPages ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    ElinLove wrote: »
    I don't think a classic server and normal servers could coexist on the same time. They would both kill each other in the end if it became permanent, and I don't know much about the health status of the game that is now on phase of merging servers, to create not just a new server, but a whole new old build of the game and run this either concurrently to the current one, or instead of.

    This is exaclty what I think actually.

    It is either have only the legacy server or not having it at all because both builds at the same time will make the current servers and the legacy server to be like the current servers people complain are dead. So yeah, people loves to make up complains without even thinking about the current state of the game and how that idea can make more harm than good.

    Then why is another MMO having both coexist?
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pages wrote: »
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    ElinLove wrote: »
    I don't think a classic server and normal servers could coexist on the same time. They would both kill each other in the end if it became permanent, and I don't know much about the health status of the game that is now on phase of merging servers, to create not just a new server, but a whole new old build of the game and run this either concurrently to the current one, or instead of.

    This is exaclty what I think actually.

    It is either have only the legacy server or not having it at all because both builds at the same time will make the current servers and the legacy server to be like the current servers people complain are dead. So yeah, people loves to make up complains without even thinking about the current state of the game and how that idea can make more harm than good.

    Then why is another MMO having both coexist?

    it could coexist in tera, but people are trying to say it cant or it would be the death of tera. I feel like one of the reasons people are so against a classic server in tera is that they fear that the classic server would take players away from the regular servers and they wouldn't have people to run content with. I feel like having a classic server would be populated, but people would go back to the regular servers for a bit when new content, or classes comes out or during an event, and then after that, they would return to the classic server. eme/bhs could roll it back and keep the classic server back to right before the fate of arune patch and it would be fine. they don't even need to include the flying mounts.
    some would get bored of it after awhile, but many would stay. the players there would probably make it the new r.p. server if they brought back the campfires and original iod as the starting area again. it would also be nice to have for the ones that never got to experience how tera was before babysitting island became the new starting area.
Sign In or Register to comment.