The Maintenance on our PC Servers has completed. Servers are up and running, thank you for your patience!

August Suggestions

1. Remove 5 second cooldown for changing channels
- This should have been removed long time ago, honestly other regions already have this so i don't see why NA shouldn't have it
- PVP is dead, especially in open world ever since EME removed/normalized low level PVP so channel-locking for 5 seconds is no longer necessary

2. Name wipe
- A Name wipe is adequate now that server merge will be happening soon.
- Hopefully the announcement should be released soon ..

3. Update TERA Emporium shop
- Leave your suggestions in the comments on how to update Emporium; i've been away for too long
- Update with some new items ?

4. Update Ace Dungeon Merchant
- Remove old items such as "Vernal Bark", "Tumnal Wood", "Colluva Ore", "Dread Ore" .. like give me a break it's patches over due
- Remove gear etchings (to match TERA KR); no one farms Ace Dungeons for this anyways they just go straight to Island of Dawn VG requests
- Add new etching materials such as "Titan's Earth" and "Titan's Storm"

5. Maintain Power Hour schedule
- I saw a forum post on this -- not sure if it's removed or not but Power Hours were well received so best to maintain this

6. Sale on Brawler merchandise
- Elin Brawler is coming out, they just updated the Gauntlets to be scaled smaller to match the size of the race wielding it so it would be nice to get some prep beforehand

7. Update Elite Status crafting speed from 50% increase to 100% increase (double the speed)
- No one likes to compare different publishers but it's one of those things that just make the community jealous

8. Propose a daily dungeon highlight -- as a long term event
- Give me a reason to run low level dungeons (that are boring to me but necessary for new players) !
- Dungeons that drop Golden Talent and Silver Talent are highly appreciated since required materials to enchant Heroic Oath does require materials more than gold

Other :
* Update Fashion Coupon ?
* Server Merge -- YES IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING. SERVER MERGES ARE COMING. (official forum thread)

Comments

• Hammer/Shield Tank Class; Personally one reason I have never considered running a Lancer is they Look Ridiculous and this is a Video Game. No spear-man in the history of the world ever wielded a Lance/Long spear in a manner remotely like the artists have depicted this class. A Spear is simply not a cutting/arcing weapon it is made for Thrusting preferably in a formation of like armed men.

I think more people would be willing to take on the Tanking Role if the Class did not look silly wielding its weapons so Give the Heavy Tank role a weapon that fits a small team. Give it a good big hammer, or Halberd; A great Thumping impact weapon that has some some potential to knockback a BAM or a Boss. I just watched a Player spam for an hour looking for a Tank for MM; and thats been a problem as long as I can remember. Its time for the Devs to reconsider the Whole Lancer Idea; realize that players just have not embraced it; aren't going too, and offered a 2nd Heavy tank Option with a less ridiculous weapon.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Blackbirdx61
    The heck you talking about, people love lancers in tera but gearing tanks is hard and it seems not a whole lot of people like the responsibilities of being a tank.
    It's got nothing to do with how lancers hold their weapon, they're satisfying to play accurate or not.
  • i wonder what hapenned with fashion coupon phase 2....
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 5
    Address the problem with leaderboards. Right now, most of the leaderboard ranks are pretty bad in terms of judging what they're meant to judge. Since each server gets its own ranking board, we can assume it's meant to gauge the best groups and the best players in each server. With the exception of FWC, the current leaderboards do not do this at all, and I'll explain why below.

3v3s - This barely needs an explanation, and people will deny it until they're blue in the face but we all know what happens here. A few days before the season ends, the same people will make a group of 3 with their friends in it, and a group of 3 with some alts in it, and then they'll queue at the same time at like 4 in the morning when the game's dead as hell. Then they'll get matched up against their bad-team and have that team lose on purpose. They repeat this nonstop, feeding themselves wins until they get to the top of the ranks on their class, and then the next morning when people who earned that rank and had it stolen from them while they slept rightfully ask "hey what the hell, how did you come out of nowhere and manage such an amazing win streak at the last minute just in time to get a mask," these people treat us like we're stupid, play dumb, and act like they have no idea and just got lucky. So rather than judging who's the most skilled in a 3v3 fight on average, it becomes a contest of "who knows 3~6 people willing to trade wins with each other on August 8th."

Pit of Petrax - It was straight up confirmed that people have been cheating in this since it came out, and the exploit was even dropped in a number of places in the days that followed. I don't know what else happened beyond that, but it's so dumb to have a ranked dungeon be a solo instance. Literally anyone can just go in, do whatever dumb thing they want completely unseen, and then come out with some ridiculously quick clear. And of course when you're like "wow that was fast, how'd you pull that off champ" they're just like "RNG xD". It's so gross. Replace pit with ravenous gorge, or just make all the dungeons ranked so there's at least some variety, but that's another subject entirely.

AAHM Leaderboards - TL;DR: These would be fine if you stopped applying rankings for cross queue parties.

Now for the "too long" part. Saying this as someone who cross queues fairly often, I still think applying cross-world queues to a server-by-server ranking creates an unfair situation. Here is why: On quieter servers, most of the top ranks are dominated by people who queued with BEASTLY players from TR who literally don't exist on dead servers at this point. If you're on a very quiet world like FF, CH, or AV, you'll have less people selling enchanting materials, less people to run with on average, and less people to pick when you want to do a dungeon. It'll take you longer to farm and longer to gear up at the higher tiers because of this. A simple example of this in action: If your world is dead and you can only run AAHM every other day, then you will obviously enchant your heroic oath gear slower than someone who can run it 4 times a day every day by virtue of being surrounded by players at all times. I've seen this firsthand, there are LFGs for AAHM in the middle of the day that fill and clear on TR. That doesn't happen where I'm from. So we've established an obvious difference in servers leading to a difference in quality of players on average. Now to explain why this is problematic for rankings that are supposed to be representations of people on that server.

Totally hypothetical but let's say I'm a warrior on AV. The group I run with is in +8 SC, and still hasn't gotten heroic because it takes an hour to even get people for the dungeon, and to fill the last slot we often just take whoever we can get even if we don't know them that well or they aren't particularly skilled. Most of the people we used to run with quit, and a few geared people transferred to TR. The run is by no means an ideal parsing run, but we clear at least. It takes 35 minutes.

Now let's say I want to get in the top 3, which typically involves a run of 15 minutes or less depending on your world. Now let's say the priest I run with knows a tank and 2 dps in heroic oath who'd be willing to cross queue from TR. They have this gear already because while it took us an hour just to set up and run a single instance of AAHM, and we were barely able to do 1 run a day because of all the time involved in just getting people, they were farming it 4 times a day every day with a static they were able to make because their server has more players to run with. They also have more people to buy golden plates from, among other things, which smooths things along a lot. So we cross queue with this group that -- by virtue of a superior gaming environment -- has more practice, more gear, and more skill and we clear in 16 minutes. Despite the run being 60% TR. Despite me benefiting IMMENSELY from people who geared up on a different server and don't even play on AV. Despite me playing with people whose gear+skill level for all intents and purposes don't exist on my home server, or do but in incredibly small amounts compared to the bigger servers. Despite all that, my runtime still applies on AV's leaderboard for me, and I get to enjoy having a top ranked clear time on AV despite it being a mostly TR run. And then the only feasible way for anyone to beat that score is to either unearth a bunch of really geared people on my dead world who haven't immigrated yet, or to just cross queue as well -- and that's what ends up happening, a lot.

Now let's change the scenario a bit. Let's say I'm from TR and I'm alright, but I'm not good enough to be Top 3 on my server. So what I do is, I buy a world transfer to a deader server like FF, where the average time is higher, and then I cross queue with my static from TR. Even if the run's not great by the standards back home, it's still good enough to get into the top 3 on a world with barely any competition (and effectively rob an actual FF player of a position they earned, but whatever). Including cross server queuing in server-specific rankings is the dumbest thing you could do in a situation like this, because it opens the door for all kinds of last minute scumbag tactics, which I'm sure we'll see plenty of as we come down to the 9th of August. If the rankings are server-isolated, then it should follow that the parties ought to be people from that server. To me this seems super basic and logical.

Edit1: I forgot CS, but does it really need explanation? Everyone knows this place is full of people who cheat their way through rounds. Multiple threads were made (and closed) that even named a particularly notorious guild that cheats there all the time.
    Edit2: I also forgot Dreadspire, but I have no problem with that one since it's impossible to cross queue it and everyone on that rank did it with people from that server. Dreadspire's rankings are how PvE ranks should be determined.

TL;DR most of the leaderboards are scummy as hell and the top ranks are dominated by tradewinners (3s), cross queuers who should have asterisks next to their clear times (AAHM), and actual exploiters (pit of petrax). FWC might have its own nonsense but I don't do it enough to talk about it.
  • Blackbirdx61Blackbirdx61 ✭✭
    edited August 5
    CornishRex wrote: »
    @Blackbirdx61
    The heck you talking about, people love lancers in tera ..

I think We will have to agree to Disagree on this one, People may Love other people playing the Lancer, but they do not Gravitate to the Class themselves. I dont believe this is the case in other games, certainly I've never seen another game that has a shortage of Armored Heavies, whether their role be Tank or DPS; and will stand by my suggestion to the Devs, that at least part of this stems from the Visuals of the Class.

My experience of Gamer's in General has been is there is no shortage of folks willing to take on a challenging class if it otherwise appeals to them.

• CornishRex wrote: »
    @Blackbirdx61
    The heck you talking about, people love lancers in tera ..

I think We will have to agree to Disagree on this one, People may Love other people playing the Lancer, but they do not Gravitate to the Class themselves. I dont believe this is the case in other games, certainly I've never seen another game that has a shortage of Armored Heavies, whether their role be Tank or DPS; and will stand by my suggestion to the Devs, that at least part of this stems from the Visuals of the Class.

My experience of Gamer's in General has been is there is no shortage of folks willing to take on a challenging class if it otherwise appeals to them.

Interesting, because my experience tells me that people tend to gravitate away from "publicly played tanks" more than from tanks in general. I know plenty of people that play tanks scattered across a multitude of MMOs, but if you're a DPS in a queue, waiting for them to hit it, you'll be waiting a very long time, because they don't hit the queues. It's not the aesthetics, it's "Leeroy Jenkins". The same can be said for healers in queues, but that's another topic for another thread.

I tried Lancer, and I didn't like it, but it wasn't aesthetics, it was resource management, which may be better late and end game, but for what I played, that was my issue. Of note here, on another point, a 10 foot long, about 3 meters spear would be impractical for a tanking type weapon, but the Spartan spear could indeed be used in sweeping arcs, albeit with the goal of tripping enemies, as opposed to slashing, although the tip would slash. These lances seem somewhere in the middle of those, and with a few design tweaks on the latter, it would be fine to say it could also be used for slashing. That said, a classic "sword and board", even if that sword is a mace/hammer type weapon, would be a nice addition.
    edited August 5
    Have not heard from LJ in quite some time, still funny, and yeah I think a hoplite model would have been better, but In the present moment I think a sword and board option would be great. I certainly understand you point about folks being shy about Tanking in ques vs say for their guild at least to start; but one would hope once one builds up ones confidence one would make themselves available in the ques given how often folks are all but pleading for tanks in global chat. (At least on FF)
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    more bikini elin B)
  • Hammer/Shield Tank Class; Personally one reason I have never considered running a Lancer is they Look Ridiculous and this is a Video Game. No spear-man in the history of the world ever wielded a Lance/Long spear in a manner remotely like the artists have depicted this class. A Spear is simply not a cutting/arcing weapon it is made for Thrusting preferably in a formation of like armed men.

What animation with lancer do you see them doing any cutting or arcing motion with their lance? The lance explicitly thrusts with every attack it is used for. Every other attack either uses the shield or does some sort of other animation excluding using them for attacking. There is also a thing called improvising for using weapons for combat. You do not always have to use them as they are intended to be used to get the results you want. That is a silly reason for not wanting to play a class. You want a video game to look realistic, but video games are the farthest thing from that... You should consider playing for fun and not focusing on such minute details that have no reason to be upset about. I feel you are one of the only people that plays this game that has this mindset, sorry to tell you.
    edited August 6
    You want a video game to look realistic, but video games are the farthest thing from that... You should consider playing for fun and not focusing on such minute details that have no reason to be upset about. I feel you are one of the only people that plays this game that has this mindset, sorry to tell you.

Games like any other Fiction are better the more firmly Grounded in reality they are where they can be, Vs making nonsense up out of whole cloth; What made Tolkien's work a Classic is he understood intimately the Ancient world he was extrapolating from to create his own.

As far as playing for fun, why else would I, have an occupation. I play games just to smash a few Ugiles on my time off; but Good Consistent art is definitely a must. And Lancer's Aside I think Tera's art team does an above average job. But As too your Question about the Lancer Wielding his weapon in a Arcing motion, That looks real good now doesn't it? but of course thats a personal view.

I was in Highwatch today, I saw other gunners, some Warriors, some sort of Mage; not a single Lance, now maybe in town you just cant tell; but it occurs to me I dont think I have ever seen a Lancer in town; and people are daily begging for Tanks in LFG. Perhaps I am wrong about Why; but it seems to me that aspect of the game is pretty obviously broken; I only hope the intended audience the Devs will consider the original post and suggestion solution.

• Games like any other Fiction are better the more firmly Grounded in reality they are where they can be, Vs making nonsense up out of whole cloth; What made Tolkien's work a Classic is he understood intimately the Ancient world he was extrapolating from to create his own.

As far as playing for fun, why else would I, have an occupation. I play games just to smash a few Ugiles on my time off; but Good Consistent art is definitely a must. And Lancer's Aside I think Tera's art team does an above average job. But As too your Question about the Lancer Wielding his weapon in a Arcing motion, That looks real good now doesn't it? but of course thats a personal view.

I was in Highwatch today, I saw other gunners, some Warriors, some sort of Mage; not a single Lance, now maybe in town you just cant tell; but it occurs to me I dont think I have ever seen a Lancer in town; and people are daily begging for Tanks in LFG. Perhaps I am wrong about Why; but it seems to me that aspect of the game is pretty obviously broken; I only hope the intended audience the Devs will consider the original post and suggestion solution.

Well, that's certainly a subjective opinion. WoW is pretty popular, and it's not firmly grounded in anything like reality, is it? As to applying that philosophy to fiction in general, I'm guessing that that's not only subjective, but also pretty narrowly held as a belief. The whole point of fiction is to break away from reality, so I'd say that that would be closer to a fallacy than a fact.

I was in Highwatch yesterday, and didn't see a single gunner. I'm not sure why nobody's playing them... Another fallacy presented as fact, even though I really didn't see any gunners in Highwatch yesterday, that doesn't mean that nobody's playing them. It could mean that there were some there, and you didn't see them, or, it could mean that they don't hang out in Highwatch to avoid constantly being whispered to join groups because they need a tank. Then there's the "Leroy Jenkins" aspect I mentioned before, that keeps tanks, and healers, from hitting random pugs. I'll also note that "people are begging daily for tanks in LFG" isn't only a reflection on Lancers, but the other tanking classes as well. If they were the only mitigation tank in game, you'd be able to use that as a legit argument, but they're not. So unless the argument is that there's a complete lack of tanks in the game, you're going to miss the mark trying to lay that on a lack of one tanking class.
    edited August 6

Well, that's certainly a subjective opinion. WoW is pretty popular, and it's not firmly grounded in anything like reality, is it? As to applying that philosophy to fiction in general, I'm guessing that that's not only subjective, but also pretty narrowly held as a belief. .

No one of the very first rules of Writing is Write what you know, why is that? Because your Audience will know if you know what your talking about, if you have a real understanding to stand on; but we have got way off topic.

As I said before, I do hope the Devs, take the Suggestion seriously That was the point of the OP and I thought the Thread.

My apologies to Seraphinush, it was not my intention to spam your thread; simply to offer a suggestion to the Devs.
  • DL7MMWLJ3WDL7MMWLJ3W ✭✭✭
    I'd expect a suggestion thread with someone steering the direction of the original topic astray.

1. They won't do it.
    2. This has already been announced so this won't be a suggestion.
    3. They given up on this system so they'll just let it linger.
    4. Since it's not important content, they rather not mess with it.
    5. Not enough manpower to organize that and consoles.
    6. It smells money so suggestion is easily implemented regardless of reminding them or not.
    7. Been mentioned but they want ppl to enjoy the artsmanship of crafting taking longer because they don't play the game and think making it slower is fine.
    8. They just updated strongbox so ppl can buy keys to get their bunch of talents from there! I mean it's money so it works to their advantage.

So yeah, another suggestion thread that won't do anything sadly.
  • Hi there!

Thanks so much for this thread. I've taken this feedback to share with Bluehole!