[TERA Console] Maintenance to deploy the v86.01 update is scheduled for Monday, September 14 at 7 p.m. PT. Patch notes: http://bit.ly/terac_v86
[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Talent System!

Confirmed on stream and in this thread. We will be getting the talent system. I've been collecting feedback and questions for eme and thought it'd be worthwhile to also start a conversation here about it, too.

The more popular questions I've gathered so far:
When?!?
Will we be compensated for the time (years) we missed not having talents?
Will there be events to boost talent exp?
Will it be the exact same as KTera's?
How will we be able to obtain the reset potion that goes with talents?
Is this actually happening?
How will this work with Velik's Helper?

Comments

• AyiAyi ✭✭✭
    It's actually happening!
  • Elinu1Elinu1 Canada ✭✭✭✭
    About time!
  • XristosxXristosx ✭✭✭
    I'd like to put a damper on this and say if they do bring it, its almost 3 years too late, unless we get some kind of large amount of free starting levels on it, i am not going to be grinding for something i should of had 3 years ago. This feels like a last attempt to draw people back to grind for something ridiculous with the game getting very stale from years of poor decisions, xigncode, bad loot etc. i know people will be like jesus you selfish [filtered] were getting talents now be happy, but no the only reason its being potentially put now because of how clear its become that it was very much needed, they were probably put with the decision either balance the game for regions outside of ktera(which would be way more work for them each patch) or just throw everyone the talent system and be done with it, because the talent system is in the game files in our regions its just not active for the most part. Which im still baffled to this day why they never allowed it in our regions, because the excuse of it was buggy is poor at best at this point since they've still been using it in ktera all this time. Ill stop rambling now anyway swfgjkolhfddfasgawsetrqwet
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    More like, if its happening after such a long time, i would expect a smooth launch. BHS had enough time to polish the system, so once it ships to the rest of the regions, it SHOULD BE bug free right? Or at least i hope so.
  • NA TERA becoming more like KTERA with every patch, I love it! Soon, i'll finally be so unmotivated to login that I won't feel bad about quitting!
  • ArnetraArnetra ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Don't include the retaliate reset cooldown if at all possible, pretty sure most pvpers don't want it and pvers don't care about it.

People are going to be whining about how we're behind, especially since I know many people don't realize even the super hardcore grinders don't have enough to buy all talents. In addition to some starter points, I'd consider buffing the rate at which points are earned slightly to start either through a universal buff, or generous events, since that'll at least make it feel like EME is trying to meet the players' expectations. Also consider increasing these buffs after a while, to look like the good guys more, and also serve as a catch up mechanic for newer players since this system has the potential to scare them off.

This is a perfect chance for EME to improve its image by being less stingy with points and progression than EU, I realize that our version is beholden to the whims of the Korean business people, but I think it's worth trying to convince them of this even if they aren't initially on board.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zoknahal wrote: »
    More like, if its happening after such a long time, i would expect a smooth launch. BHS had enough time to polish the system, so once it ships to the rest of the regions, it SHOULD BE bug free right? Or at least i hope so.

While I would say you've got way too high hopes for a company that unironically believes they know how to use UE3 despite TERA's performance and hence still insists on it for A:IR as I've been told, I would also take this comment as an opportunity to show a middle of the road expectation/stance regarding this.

They've had all the time to release it smoother than it was in K-TERA, and I do believe they'll not be so utterly disturbed mentally to release the 1st builds without the later bugfixes. I mean if they do it then they've got no salvation at all and a full lobotomy would do no harm but save some weight inside their head instead. So, while I believe it will be a LESS buggy version than K-TERA's launch version, expect some bugs to be present that aren't in K-TERA, and the ones that are there now (or will be fixed a bit before our launch), as we do have the region specific side of things to worry about, and the usual patch delay.

Regarding balancing of the talents, I do not believe they would take the same stance as K-TERA. They would likely bet more on the casual side catering, and make it a heck lot easier to obtain. Sure, some grind, but I definitely do not see them doing something that would literally only be useful for the most hardcore players out there. Unless my memory is going bad at an early age eh, it kinda is but..., mEME usually does things a lot more casual-centered too, and I think this is a great opportunity for them to cater to the come and go playerbase just as much as the hardcore ones and make it just simply, obtainable. As far as I've been reading around, the grind has been going harder and harder starting from a year ago or so, and I would at least hope, that they've seen this isn't the right direction, and that they could at least not make it worse.

Making it as something that would give huge benefits to very old accounts/characters (proportionally of course, as if 4~6 years was "Jurassic") would be heavily detrimental to the game's known characteristic of being easy to start or get back at. Basically any review of this game I've seen, and my own past experience has shown me that, the game simply is easy enough to get back at or to start at. Killing this one part of it, on a moment it definitely needs exactly those types of players (new or coming back), would be the ultimate shot on the foot, more like, on their own head.
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    StarSprite wrote: »
    When?!?
    When?!?
    - Hopefully soon !
    - Definitely would appreciate it
    - Use hours played as criteria
    - But keep a max cap on initial EP level setting - around 150 for players (about 150 is necessary to power the essentials .. probably lacking for certain classes)
    - My two cents from playing K TERA for 1 year and leveling my Talent/EP system level to 350+ right now in 5 months (2nd account) .. 340 is just slightly enough to fill every EP you want
    - There are items in K TERA, like XP boosts or Gold Hunter that increases the amount of EP exp earned by double .. and there were events that did this as well so i'm sure EME can definitely do an event for this
    - From my opinion, it will have to be all or nothing -- afaik making the system different will only increase patch difficulties
    - These were exclusive event items, but K TERA started releasing them through a more viable content just recently .. can't remember where and how much it costs off the top of my head
    - EME don' you dare
    - Should be removed
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    Good news but honestly as people said it's too late for the talent system. Farming item EXP is already pain in the [filtered] and I'm not looking forward to be heavily outclassed by whom can play 12+ hours a day non stop.
  • 6AWC3DP9PR6AWC3DP9PR ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    @EME, I would say there is very much a need for talent XP enhancements of some kind for NA players to be able to get the core talents each class has got; to catch up, so to say. I don't think there's any reasonable expectation or want to be able to totally max out the system in short order.

I think it would be reasonable if we started with the base Power and Endurance talents maxed aside from that. In the last few months we've had the Velik's Helper buff to compensate for the absence of those particular talents (and, to some extent, the absence of the entire system) so I think, pending the removal of that buff, it would be well-received to not need to grind talent XP to enjoy the same stat bonuses we've technically had since its introduction.
  • PartyblastPartyblast ✭✭✭✭
    Took BHS three years of power creep from talents to realize they dun goof'd.

This is three years too late and I wouldn't be surprised if we were given the system with zero compensation because smart decisions.
  • KetothKetoth ✭✭✭✭
    Just a note talent system will be making 3years anniversary on ktera in October 2018
  • AyiAyi ✭✭✭
    Is there an updated list on the talents obtainable?
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    NA TERA becoming more like KTERA with every patch, I love it! Soon, i'll finally be so unmotivated to login that I won't feel bad about quitting!

well , they could then english patch ktera and make it accessible to my region for better ping as an oceanic server
  • EllexemEllexem ✭✭✭
    I'm really not sure why people expect that something that is likely going to be in practice a mixture of personal progression system to stretch out the existing content for even longer and further impetus to run certain instances will come with some kind of compensation just because we got it later. It's not like new players in K-TERA get any kind of compensation, right?

So, really, why should they sacrifice the early euphoria stages of the point earning, where you can get things somewhat quickly, just to throw us right into the absolutely worst grind part? That would just cause us to get sticker shock right from the get-go, rather than only when we get to the equivalent of Heroic Oath enchanting levels.

It's really just another tier of gear progression, in the end. Just a more account level one, if I understand it correctly. And with an escalating cost structure that seems to be designed to be the ultimate, endless treadmill.

So, given that this is probably just another attempt at adding some more longevity to TERA, I don't expect them to at all do anything to reduce the grind. That would seem to defeat the point for why they seem to be okay with adding it. (While the need to have things like Velik's Helper be an actual thing might have played a part in pushing it through, I feel that the other part is really more of a factor in making this actually happen. At least as far as convincing BHS is concerned.)