Sky Challenge

Can I just say that the new Sky Guardian Missions are amazing? Cause they are amazing!

Search & Destroy is probably my favorite out of all of them, I love it's quick pace in trying to find the evil sphere.

Rhapsody of Wind and Fire is touch but worth the fun and challenge.

Comments

• They are fun but it feels so slow getting the GL rewards, it would be nice if they upped it to the same pace as other missions. At least to make it worth while so it doesn’t die off on my server like the superior mission. Overall a fun experience.
  • EllexemEllexem ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's likely that they'll increase the reward pace for them. You have essentially zero gear factor in these, and that is what really makes the other ones have a higher pace, so what it has to be compared to is what someone in Guardian gear could earn on the ground bound missions. And compared to that it seems to be fairly equal or even a bit better already. Just with what you get being down almost entirely to your skill with flying.

Besides that, the main pay-off here feels like it's for actually completing the mission, since that is when you get the extra flight tokens or superior etching boxes, if you do well enough.

You do have those passives for the flight acceleration to earn to keep things active, after all. And the etching boxes as another potential draw.
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    With the quest bonus, i think i farmed about 92 Flight Tokens, gave all 9 of my characters Flight Accel I, and now i'll probably work towards getting Flight Accel III on my main ..
  • Very fun experience. First time I did Search and Destroy (having not watched any prior videos of these from K-TERA), I was hovering around looking for a massive alien mothership and didn't realize it was that slightly bigger version of the scouts (doh). xD

I know just a small part of this (plus the IM39 Prototype mechanical flying suit) were inspired by work being done on A:IR but I hope they create more flight related stuff like this. Speaking of which, that flight suit just feels way more responsive (for obvious reasons since no wing animations or larger surfaces blocking your view) for these missions. I tried with my gunner (since I got one for it when they released it) and it felt way better than using my pegasus mount (when I did the aerial guardian quests on my other characters).

• DigivolveDigivolve ✭✭✭✭
    They'll increase reward speed in future patches
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish it was more intuitive when playing on a pad/controller. Everything else is fine, but you can't attack unless you specifically use the mouse.

Then again, it's a sort of moot point as flying feels a lot smoother overall now. I just turn the inversion off and I'm good. :)
  • My only gripe with the sky challenges is that the boss of rhapsody of wind and fire feels much harder than search and destroy, so I always enjoy search and destroy more. Also I guess that rhapsody feels a little clunky to control and swerve and try to hit the final boss, but I think that’s a mount turn radius problem rather than a problem with the actual fight. But overall I love the new sky missions more than any other guardian mission
  • My experience with it is that

>In order to clear, I need to not be in an instance with a lot of randoms, because if even one of them is first timing it, we will not clear.
    >Therefore in order to clear consistently, I need to move to another channel and not play as a team.
    >If I'm not there near the start of the fire and wind one, or if I'm not there at the first 2 minutes of the ship one, I might as well not continue as it probably won't clear.
    >Getting contribution is so slow that it's only worth doing the flying legion for the tokens.
    >The only thing worth getting in the token shop is the flying skill books.
    >The gap between getting the first and second skill book is so large while the upgraded boost is so small that it's only worth getting the first book. First skill book costs 10, second costs 150, third costs 400. First skill book gives -30% flight gauge consumption, second gives -40%, third gives -50%.
    >If I complete the velika quest, and complete one mission, that will total up to 9 tokens. Any subsequent completed missions is only 2 tokens for the day.
    >Therefore, the most effective thing to do is do the quest + search and destroy only. After completing one, turn in the quest and start up the quest on another character and repeat the process while waiting for the next search and destroy to come up. Do this until every alt has flying skill I.
    >After that's done, there really is no motivation to do the flying missions ever again. Miscellaneous tab in the token shop is garbage, glyph boxes are too expensive compared to iod, etchings are way too expensive, and the flying mounts you can get are pretty bad.

tl;dr just get the first book on all alts playing it entirely solo on the search and destroy mission + velika quest. Nothing else is worth the effort.
  • I share the same sentiment with everyone here, the new flight missions are awesome and fun! I've always wanted to have a close encounter with a skywhale but they were always out of reach. I remember sitting on Velika's beach with a friend looking at a distant skywhale and we kinda both wished we could fly alongside it, to see what it sees. Now the only thing that's left is actually riding it for fast travel! Mwahahaha! I also love how you can go so much higher in the Search & Destroy mission than you would've otherwise been able to, and can see the entire map from that point of view (Ignoring the visual bugs outside of the map's borders, which I don't really mind)
    Bunbbi wrote: »
    My only gripe with the sky challenges is that the boss of rhapsody of wind and fire feels much harder than search and destroy, so I always enjoy search and destroy more. Also I guess that rhapsody feels a little clunky to control and swerve and try to hit the final boss, but I think that’s a mount turn radius problem rather than a problem with the actual fight. But overall I love the new sky missions more than any other guardian mission

@Bunbbi In my experience getting 40 boxes 2 days in a row using these missions, Search and Destroy is mostly about pathing through the right spheres, but its hard to be able to see everything around me. The spheres when chasing the whale do tend to overlap pretty often for me too, causing me to lose my charge. Maybe an improvement can be thought on that. Not to put your comment in any negative view, I agree with you!

My experience with it is that

>In order to clear, I need to not be in an instance with a lot of randoms, because if even one of them is first timing it, we will not clear.
    >Therefore in order to clear consistently, I need to move to another channel and not play as a team.
    >If I'm not there near the start of the fire and wind one, or if I'm not there at the first 2 minutes of the ship one, I might as well not continue as it probably won't clear.
    >Getting contribution is so slow that it's only worth doing the flying legion for the tokens.
    >The only thing worth getting in the token shop is the flying skill books.
    >The gap between getting the first and second skill book is so large while the upgraded boost is so small that it's only worth getting the first book. First skill book costs 10, second costs 150, third costs 400. First skill book gives -30% flight gauge consumption, second gives -40%, third gives -50%.
    >If I complete the velika quest, and complete one mission, that will total up to 9 tokens. Any subsequent completed missions is only 2 tokens for the day.
    >Therefore, the most effective thing to do is do the quest + search and destroy only. After completing one, turn in the quest and start up the quest on another character and repeat the process while waiting for the next search and destroy to come up. Do this until every alt has flying skill I.
    >After that's done, there really is no motivation to do the flying missions ever again. Miscellaneous tab in the token shop is garbage, glyph boxes are too expensive compared to iod, etchings are way too expensive, and the flying mounts you can get are pretty bad.

tl;dr just get the first book on all alts playing it entirely solo on the search and destroy mission + velika quest. Nothing else is worth the effort.

And @Oicwutudidthur I believe that these guardians are more suited if you are not as confident in dealing damage/dying in the other guardian missions, but can still obtain boxes, much like tuwangi training for healers. I'll definitely be using these for my twistshard alts in order to gain more Item XP and gems, plus it's fun just charging up to shoot stuff out of the air! The only reward that would really matter in my opinion is the ending rewards for each mission, to which there will allegedly be an improvement on it so we can actually save the poor skywhale.

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Berogi wrote: »
    Bunbbi wrote: »
    My only gripe with the sky challenges is that the boss of rhapsody of wind and fire feels much harder than search and destroy, so I always enjoy search and destroy more. Also I guess that rhapsody feels a little clunky to control and swerve and try to hit the final boss, but I think that’s a mount turn radius problem rather than a problem with the actual fight. But overall I love the new sky missions more than any other guardian mission

@Bunbbi In my experience getting 40 boxes 2 days in a row using these missions, Search and Destroy is mostly about pathing through the right spheres, but its hard to be able to see everything around me. The spheres when chasing the whale do tend to overlap pretty often for me too, causing me to lose my charge. Maybe an improvement can be thought on that. Not to put your comment in any negative view, I agree with you!

Correction: That's actually Rhapsody of Wind and Fire - the skywhale mission - you're thinking of (I made the same mistake).

From what I could tell that mission seems to favor smaller mounts like wolves(?) and flightsuits. Maintaining my charges was simple (and actually somewhat hectic!) with my flightsuit character but was significantly less so with my Ironscale character.

Then again, it could be a case of wacky hit-detection like usual. Or maybe a combination thereof. Either way, it's a nice break from the usual grind. Oh, and make sure you play some metal in the background. Trust me. :blush:

Edited for clarification as I mixed up the missions.