[TERA Console] We will enter maintenance on 05/26 (Tue) at 7:00 p.m. PT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance
[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

It's time we talk... (seriously)

I've been playing this game for a little over 3 years, I have more than 6 months playtime on my MAIN character, probably means I wasted a good portion of my life on this game, however I feel like I know what I'm talking about in this discussion. I originally came from the old server of Valley of Titans, a little over a year ago I transferred to Mount Tyrannas when the LFGs still had 3 pages, now a year later to today we see this game now and LFGs are dead. IMS times are taking forever even for a tank and healer duo, the IMS can't find dps to join in progress games, which only makes you think HOW BAD IS IT? This goes back to the many things demanded and needed to keep this dying game alive. What good does server merges do? We see how active Fey Forest is after VOT, HW, and LOT got merged.

Here are my 3 top things that could improve this game (I'm sure you get tired of hearing them):

#1 OPTIMIZATION

Really... can we finally work on this?! It's long overdue past anything else, maybe I can put my damn graphics card to full potential in this game for once.

#2 BALANCING

We all know each major patch will bring forth a new meta and new possibilities, however this game is far from balanced. From Beserker in FM outdpsing most SC classes to Sorcerer's long overdue CRIT FACTOR fix (almost 400 crit and I'm below 50% in overall crits?!?!?!), as well as Valks over dominating pvp skill, basically if I can get full staggered to death from 100 to 0, I think you should take a look at reevaluate your balancing on a class. This will also include how ridiculously RRNM and RRHM bosses have so much endurance and hp, bring it down a bit (I mean a lot, less almost 10 minute boss fights)? ALSO, let's make all animation times the same? (less elins pls, bring some hope for the dying amani, baraka, popo race).

#3 CONTENT

How about more places to explore, less copy and paste dungeons/bosses bring us some actual new mechanics that isn't IN and OUT, Lasers, and Debuffs, let's get creative here and bring forth some imagination. Some new pvp battlegrounds would be nice or an actual good story quest/line (lore is kinda too long and boring, at least for me). As I said earlier about elins being majority and females, me (I) being a person who prefers to play male characters, how about we bring more costumes/comsetics for male characters (YOUR PLAYERS ARE NOT ALL ELINS), I want to look good being a floor mat ya know.

#4 EVERYTHING ELSE (I LIED THERE WAS A 4TH)

I'm sure this is a lot that can go under this, how about more interaction from mods in the game, haven't seen a mod in chat in forever (maybe it's cause I play late, I work you know..). Maybe we can start queing for more than one battleground (why can we que for every dg we can run but not every battleground?). Better drop rate for items (maybe masks?), or how about limited time items that isn't cosmetics, actual limited accessories that we don't have to pay EMP for.

I personally think this game has a lot of potential, but the way it's going we won't make it far or any different from where we are now..

Talk about what changes you would like, bring this discussion to life, give me your opinion about TERA, let your voice be heard. I know this post will face some criticism and skepticism and in the end most of what's being asked for goes back to BLUEHOLE and/or the developers decision, but I still have some faith left in you ENMASSE.

If you don't have nothing else to add, then I'll ask you this question..

Why do you still play TERA, what is your motivation to get online and play (or just afk)?

My own answer will be, I like this game, however I sometimes lack motivation because it sometimes seem repetitive, I play it mainly for the people that are still here, people I can call friends and run dungeons/battlegrounds with, help them learn and actually play this game.

What's your answer?

What are you thoughts about this discussion?

Comments

• edited August 2018
    Your points have definite merit, and it's no question that TERA is a very niche game that doesn't have the resources it needs to truly take on the challenges the game's scope implies. It also doesn't help that BHS is a very "technically immature" developer who really doesn't have a lot of experts skilled on the ins-and-outs of game optimization (as we can see from their other projects as well). At this point in the game's life, when the developer has a distracting blockbuster in PUBG and a new passion project in A:IR, it's hard to see them really putting in the kind of massive investment that will rejuvenate this game and cause it to last for another 6+ years. (It's easier to commit to a "Fix PUBG" campaign where the interest is still pretty hot, than a "Fix TERA" campaign at this point in the game's life, although the latter arguably needs it even more.)

However, I would also like to paint a little bit of a bigger picture here as well and just mention that MMOs in general are having a little bit of an identity crisis at the moment as they continue to lose ground to more casual-friendly games like smartphone games and MOBAs/Battle Royale games. Meanwhile, the people who still love MMOs are generally getting older and becoming more "world-weary" about a genre that is still basically riding on the shoulders of the WoW innovations of over a decade ago. The complaint about lack of end-game content is a pretty constant refrain in an awful lot of MMO forums and communities these days -- even ones with much larger and more established teams than TERA. The costs to develop games keep getting higher, and the appeal of more casual-friendly genres (that have a lot less systems and complexity to maintain) keeps getting stronger.

TERA has a good artstyle, world design, and combat system, and it's still fun to play despite the issues. But really, any MMO ultimately comes down to the community and people you play with. They can do more to mask the end-game grind and keep it a bit more interesting, but at the end of the day it's still a grind no matter what.

(As an aside, I will say that the new flight missions in this patch, though flawed, are at an least interesting use of the flight system and trying to do something a bit different. So at least it's not like they're doing nothing. People just have much bigger expectations than they have skilled developers, I suspect.)
  • VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes, another one of these threads throws it onto the pile of threads bhs is going to be laughing at.

For real though:

1) Das a forbidden word. We've beaten this horse to the point its bloody dust now. Though i did remember seeing a few comments about some minor optimization in a few patches I think but i'll believe it when i see it

2) You expect BHS to balance right? Want World peace as well? Awakening 2.0 is coming arou d the corner and talents as well so that should at leadt throw some power curves in there (like ninjas not being entirely garbage with their non existant Chi gen)

3) TBH, looking at videos for the newer dungeons, they don't look that bad really, especially the newer one (that requires 452 or whatever) but the issue is really the time period between real content. But hey, f2p mmo, can't expect short patch cycles, especially with bundling they like to do
  • liria02liria02
    edited August 2018
    No need to talk, just stop playing or spending money in the game... if they don't do anything with that then nothing will make them do anything good to fix the TERA ever, at the end all they care about is just what people wallets have to say.
  • liria02 wrote: »
    No need to talk, just stop playing or spending money in the game... if they don't do anything with that then nothing will make them do anything good to fix the TERA ever, at the end all they care about is just what people wallets have to say.

In the end, it also takes money to fund on-going development, while maintaining the servers and paying the staff are on-going costs regardless. If it came right down to it, I assume they'd just close the game in unprofitable regions before doing some sort of major expensive overhaul under a sort of "if we fix it, they will come" belief (because maybe they'd "fix it" and people still wouldn't come back because people just moved on). With PUBG still being as profitable as it is, they probably don't need TERA anymore. It's sad, but I'd say that's the situation we're in. Of course, we still push for improvements, but I don't expect miracles.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    SoraChann wrote: »

If you don't have nothing else to add, then I'll ask you this question..

Why do you still play TERA, what is your motivation to get online and play (or just afk)?

My own answer will be, I like this game, however I sometimes lack motivation because it sometimes seem repetitive, I play it mainly for the people that are still here, people I can call friends and run dungeons/battlegrounds with, help them learn and actually play this game.

What's your answer?

What are you thoughts about this discussion?
    cute elin

the best of tera is behind us, i dont see bright future, for example i type snow bunny tera in google to just remember good time of tera and see what we lost or type cute elin in google to see a picture of my cute elin and i see friends who left tera long time ago , so i just afk until the merge, after maybe i will quit tera
  • BDO just optimised. How long has that been out, two years give or take?

Tera needs to optiimize badly.

I like Tera, it is fun.

I get frustrated because it could easily be so much better and a few changes could bring in new and back old players.

If BDO realized the need to optimise after a couple years what does that tell you Tera?
  • I think we all had these same thoughs about the game over and over.
    Optimization wont happen, BHS said so.
    Balancing wont happen. Too much work and too late.
    Creativity wont happen. BHS fired the original design and creative team behind the game a long, long ago.

BHS is a very [filtered] company, you just have to see how they are with Pubg,

I am torn cause I like this game, even crooked as it is. I know is dying. The IMS waiting times are real and merges wont do much if the IMS is across servers? I think?

Anyway, you are not alone in this. But at this point it strikes me as naïve more than anything.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really think you're wasting your time. People asked for these things until they were blue in the face. And on virtually every occasion, they got to watch as EME passed the feedback off to big daddy bluehole studios, who proceeded every time to never really care. That is, until extremely recently, when we finally got something in the way of class balance (talents system coming to non-korean versions). Honestly the only times our feedback gets listened to on a developer-level, is when our critique happens to line up with what Koreans have already been saying.

If you want an idea of how feedback works across versions, consider the following: North American players begged for talents for nearly three years and Korea never saw fit to fix whatever issue it had and give it to us until now, at a time when the game's population is the lowest it's ever been. Meanwhile in Korea, Bluehole Studios' new "you must be at least this ilvl just to ENTER the dungeon" system was met with disdain by the Korean community; their Korean complaints were heard by the Korean developers, and the system was reworked in less than a month so the Korean players in kTera could be happy. On another occasion, a very grindy system was introduced for all of a single week before complaints from the Korean community saw it axed, with the developer of said system giving a humble apology to the community that rejected it. This is why whenever something bad comes to Korea, I hope that they reject it so we don't see it; if they like it, we're getting it at some point. Doesn't matter if we don't want it. And that's the issue: BHS developers are extremely narrow in their focus and don't give a [filtered] about players outside their Korean demographic.

I think the only reason we're getting talents in international versions is because BHS wanted a way to bring people back to the game after a lot of them got exasperated and quit. If anyone here seriously thinks talents have been broken for three years, despite working fine and getting regular updates in Korea this entire time, and they just now happened to fix it for us international players, right as people were quitting in droves to try the WoW expansion or Monster Hunter or FFXIV or w/e, then I'm honestly jealous of your optimism.
  • u ask too much, just create ur own game if u dont like, some parts of ur wall kf text are ridiculous, 10mins fight per boss is long? then just get better, theres plenty of ppl that clear it within 5mins. also if u think 10mins clear is long then just try soloing rrhm (possible btw) or try aahm learning run or the old HH P4. the 10mins clear u're complaining is just pathetic. also that a class is better doesnt mean every other class is bs.if u know how to play ur class than u'll still be better than those trap top class players. not everybody can be 10m/s zerk
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J69PCWEAYC

Hang on... in the same paragraph, you go from "just get better" to "try soloing [insert 4-star dungeon here]" to "not everyone can be 10m/s zerk".

So which is it? Are you chastising the person for not being "better", are toubsuggesting they try soloing a dungeon for the challenge, or are you saying... whatever you're trying to imply with the last sentence?
  • They haven't made content in 5 years now. They're not going to.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    SageWindu wrote: »
    J69PCWEAYC

Hang on... in the same paragraph, you go from "just get better" to "try soloing [insert 4-star dungeon here]" to "not everyone can be 10m/s zerk".

So which is it? Are you chastising the person for not being "better", are toubsuggesting they try soloing a dungeon for the challenge, or are you saying... whatever you're trying to imply with the last sentence?

Random troll account created for the sake of troll. The only 2 post (as of now) are this troll one and another one in the slaying potion topic on the same "hur durr git gud dun complain about muh game" style.

Sincerely could have been a more fun attempt at least.
  • SirSkullfireSirSkullfire ✭✭
    edited August 2018
    I've played this game since Beta (PC). Quit two years and now I'm back, just logged in for the first time yesterday. And noticed 85% of my stuff is now obsolete. Joined a very nice guild that's guiding me to "fix" myself up and get back on track. I still love Tera, it is a game that has brought really good memories and moments. Why did I quit in the first place? It's repetitiveness and everything else the OC of this thread has typed down. But, I still love Tera enough to comeback and give it another shot.
  • CatservantCatservant ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back!