[TERA PC] Kaia’s War—the latest content update for TERA PC—is now live! This patch brings a host of improvements to PvP, including increased rewards for battleground victories and Civil Unrest: Velika. Read the patch notes here: https://bit.ly/v92_notes

yep same old server merge as usual delete detete delete

Comments

• I still find it to be awful though.

I have one character at 65 x class on the server on which I play plus an Elin gunner ( cause they came out as an event at start so I wanted to make one ) . This accounts for 14 characters. Now....if my server were to be merged ( #SaveCHPls ) that would mean that my 14 characters would be transferred to either TR or MT on which I have 8 slots cause founder.
    According to EME's awful policy this would mean that I'd have to delete 6 of my alts and their cosmetics / gear / pets / event mounts and whatsoever ? Why should I ? This is not how you treat your customers while also expecting them to keep supporting you. There's also no way in hell I'd buy extra slots only to make up for their mistakes, I already had those slots on the previous server.

Not to talk about the names issue which is also a thing...seriously...they could just implement a better system to allow their players to get the names they want. I'd get to keep a lot of my names cause of playtime , I'm sure....but many other people wouldn't.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elyann wrote: »
    I still find it to be awful though.

I have one character at 65 x class on the server on which I play plus an Elin gunner ( cause they came out as an event at start so I wanted to make one ) . This accounts for 14 characters. Now....if my server were to be merged ( #SaveCHPls ) that would mean that my 14 characters would be transferred to either TR or MT on which I have 8 slots cause founder.
    According to EME's awful policy this would mean that I'd have to delete 6 of my alts and their cosmetics / gear / pets / event mounts and whatsoever ? Why should I ? This is not how you treat your customers while also expecting them to keep supporting you. There's also no way in hell I'd buy extra slots only to make up for their mistakes, I already had those slots on the previous server.

Not to talk about the names issue which is also a thing...seriously...they could just implement a better system to allow their players to get the names they want. I'd get to keep a lot of my names cause of playtime , I'm sure....but many other people wouldn't.

You'll have 14 characters on the merged server, so if you have any chars on tr/av wherever you'd hav to delete them if you wish to keep your ch characters.
  • Elyann wrote: »

In a case of a merge, you'd get the 14 slots of CH to be the highest and thus what you'd have on the merged server. Don't mix up transfers (where you need to acquire enough slots on the target server somehow) with a merge (where the highest of all servers involved is what you'll have, no need for you to do anything).

If you don't actually have any characters on either TR or AV, then - IF CH were to be added to the merge, please keep in mind that this is a hypothetical - you'd see zero impact. You'd still have the 14 slots from CH and all of your characters and all of the other things. The same for FF+MT, if those were to be merged with CH.

Please don't get confused by the free server transfers that people are talking about abusing to jump ship. Those honestly seem to be more meant as a way to let you move excess characters to some of the other servers so that don't have to delete anything. Pretty much let you balance your own character counts a bit, as it were. There would be zero reason for talking about going PvP to PvE or vice versa otherwise, since the outlined merges don't mix any PvP servers with any PvE servers.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    Ellexem wrote: »
    In a case of a merge, you'd get the 14 slots of CH to be the highest and thus what you'd have on the merged server. Don't mix up transfers (where you need to acquire enough slots on the target server somehow) with a merge (where the highest of all servers involved is what you'll have, no need for you to do anything).

If you don't actually have any characters on either TR or AV, then - IF CH were to be added to the merge, please keep in mind that this is a hypothetical - you'd see zero impact. You'd still have the 14 slots from CH and all of your characters and all of the other things. The same for FF+MT, if those were to be merged with CH.

not the way I read seandynamite's post in the TERA PC - News & Announcements merge thread
    Q: I play on multiple servers. How many character slots will I have on the new server?

The new servers will have characters slots equal to the highest number of slots on either of the merging servers (MT and FF, AV and TR). Again, players with characters on both merging servers will enter their new server with character slots equal to the highest number of character slots on either of the servers. (Remember: This is based on character slots, not actual characters.)
    Example: If you have four character slots on Tempest Reach and two character slots on Ascension Valley, you’ll have four character slots on the new server (not six). If you have six characters for those four slots after the merge, you will need to remove two of them before you can start playing.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    tisnotme wrote: »

not the way I read seandynamite's post in the TERA PC - News & Announcements merge thread
    Q: I play on multiple servers. How many character slots will I have on the new server?

The new servers will have characters slots equal to the highest number of slots on either of the merging servers (MT and FF, AV and TR). Again, players with characters on both merging servers will enter their new server with character slots equal to the highest number of character slots on either of the servers. (Remember: This is based on character slots, not actual characters.)
    Example: If you have four character slots on Tempest Reach and two character slots on Ascension Valley, you’ll have four character slots on the new server (not six). If you have six characters for those four slots after the merge, you will need to remove two of them before you can start playing.

But they said exactly what the faq said. Biggest number of slots in any of the to be merged servers applies to the merged server.
  • edited September 2018

What Ellexem said is correct, but they're just talking about the higher number of any one server and not the total of all the servers to be merged. I think we all agree that it should be the total of whatever you have spread across all the servers to be merged (e.g. 4+2 = 6)... but it's not.

--- side-topic ---

Incidentally... this is a totally academic, but I think I've figured out now what the problem is technically, although it's still stupid.

BHS doesn't actually keep track of the number of "purchased slots" per server, it just iterates the max allowed. So BHS has no way to tell the difference between the two free slots everyone gets on a server (or the 8 slots founders got) with ones purchased via character slot vouchers.

Imagine you have a founders account that has 0 characters on either MT or FF; technically you have 8 slots on each. BHS does not want that kind of account to suddenly get 16 on the merged server; they want them to have 8 still. Likewise, they want free accounts to still have 2 instead of 4. But they do generally want people who used character slots items on a server (but didn't fill it with a character yet) to keep those purchased slots -- in the majority of cases, that would only ever happen on one server, not multiple at once. So, they decided to give the max instead of the sum, and then just hand out some free vouchers instead (during a limited time window)... and hope for the best.

To actually do it better, you'd need a more elaborate formula: Either the maximum number of slots between the merging servers or the sum total of characters between the merging servers, whichever is higher. So then you'd get:

0 characters (8 slots) + 0 characters (8 slots) = 8 slots
    4 characters (4 slots) + 0 characters (2 slots) = 4 slots
    8 characters (8 slots) + 4 characters (8 slots) = 12 slots

This still wouldn't account for a case where someone used extra slots on multiple servers and did not fill them with characters, but at least it would account for the case where they did create characters. Then you'd solve the problem for even more of your "edge cases" without giving everyone in the game (even those who didn't login) a bunch of free slots.

Aside that, if it were up to me, I'd also make it so that if you have characters that exceed the maximum number of slots you could just keep them as is (without having to delete). But I assume the reason they won't do that is because they probably either do -- or thought of -- having a subscription in some region or another where extra character slots are included with the subscription for as long as you subscribe. So if they change the code to allow people to exceed the cap, then it would wreck this sort of subscription possibility.

So in that case it's back to the original proposed option: just plain increase the cap for everyone globally and who cares. Why they won't do that... I still have no idea. My only guess (assuming there is a real reason) is that this variable is somehow baked into the code that all regions share, so it'd screw things up if one region were different than the rest.

Anyway, I realize probably no one cares but me, but for whatever it's worth.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    CornishRex wrote: »
    But they said exactly what the faq said. Biggest number of slots in any of the to be merged servers applies to the merged server.

the way ni read the end of their quote was FF+MT CornishRex but may be I miss read it
    as im understanding its the total of the max only on the largest server of the ones to be merged
  • tisnotme wrote: »
    the way ni read the end of their quote was FF+MT CornishRex but may be I miss read it
    as im understanding its the total of the max only on the largest server of the ones to be merged

The FF+MT was just me being lazy about typing out the other merge pair, which is FF being merged with MT. There was no relation to the actual character slots meant with that part, just that those two servers are being put together.

My apologies if that caused confusion.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018

The FF+MT was just me being lazy about typing out the other merge pair, which is FF being merged with MT. There was no relation to the actual character slots meant with that part, just that those two servers are being put together.

My apologies if that caused confusion.

np just thought you were referring to slots on ff + slots on mt = total slots you have
    still think it sux tho the way their going bout it but hey its not their first rodeo
  • LOL yeah "not our first rodeo"

No one at EME now was here during their "first rodeo" otherwise they would remember the mess they made then.
    I don't like what their doing we all are losing but I also remember every 2 weeks someone would start a EME MERGE THE SERVERS thread
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    [...]

Please don't get confused by the free server transfers that people are talking about abusing to jump ship. Those honestly seem to be more meant as a way to let you move excess characters to some of the other servers so that don't have to delete anything. Pretty much let you balance your own character counts a bit, as it were. There would be zero reason for talking about going PvP to PvE or vice versa otherwise, since the outlined merges don't mix any PvP servers with any PvE servers.

Honestly, at this point I cannot really accuse anyone jumping ship, or even mass mutiny as an abuse. The situation is quite dire and going worse as it seems, the lack of a merge (as bad as a merge is to begin with) will only leave the unwanted child to rot, and the transfers are for sure making it just a lot worse. Not jumping out of CH at this point is only bound to lack of interest in (forced) investment into the game any further, too much love for what you've built there (friends, guilds, etc.) while hoping the others doing the move ain't crushing it, or just plain not caring anymore.
  • I wonder if there is a way to check how many open character slots I have per server other than making new characters until it won't let me anymore, then delete them.

I feel for people who have multiple level 65s past the max amount of character slots per server. Personally I have 28 but I'm not in this predicament cause while they are all on the same server, they are spread across multiple accounts. So the most I have on any one account is 14 and I was never one for leveling characters on other servers.
  • TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭
    Incidentally... this is a totally academic, but I think I've figured out now what the problem is technically, although it's still stupid.

BHS doesn't actually keep track of the number of "purchased slots" per server, it just iterates the max allowed. So BHS has no way to tell the difference between the two free slots everyone gets on a server (or the 8 slots founders got) with ones purchased via character slot vouchers.

Imagine you have a founders account that has 0 characters on either MT or FF; technically you have 8 slots on each. BHS does not want that kind of account to suddenly get 16 on the merged server; they want them to have 8 still. Likewise, they want free accounts to still have 2 instead of 4. But they do generally want people who used character slots items on a server (but didn't fill it with a character yet) to keep those purchased slots -- in the majority of cases, that would only ever happen on one server, not multiple at once. So, they decided to give the max instead of the sum, and then just hand out some free vouchers instead (during a limited time window)... and hope for the best.

To actually do it better, you'd need a more elaborate formula: Either the maximum number of slots between the merging servers or the sum total of characters between the merging servers, whichever is higher. So then you'd get:

0 characters (8 slots) + 0 characters (8 slots) = 8 slots
    4 characters (4 slots) + 0 characters (2 slots) = 4 slots
    8 characters (8 slots) + 4 characters (8 slots) = 12 slots

This still wouldn't account for a case where someone used extra slots on multiple servers and did not fill them with characters, but at least it would account for the case where they did create characters. Then you'd solve the problem for even more of your "edge cases" without giving everyone in the game (even those who didn't login) a bunch of free slots.

This occurred to me as well. I'd figured it would be a simple matter of Total Slots - 2 to account for the two free ones you get on every server, but I'd forgotten founders got 8 free slots. I still think that simple formula would be the best solution. Add two free character slots per server where you have active characters (to a maximum of 4 slots), and that would guarantee no one loses characters unless they exceed 20 per server. Yes it means founders get 6 - 8 free slots per server, but is that really such a bad compromise? If they were already using those slots, great, they don't lose characters either. If they weren't using those slots, with the current state of the game, what makes anyone think they're going to start now?
  • ElinLove wrote: »
    Honestly, at this point I cannot really accuse anyone jumping ship, or even mass mutiny as an abuse.

Abuse in the sense of treating it as a way to mass move to another server without further investment on the target server. (Slots, tabs, guilds, friends, whatever else is lost on transfer.) I'm not faulting people for wanting to leave, or wanting CH to also get merged. I just don't feel that it's fair to complain how using transfers to imitate a merge comes with downsides. Or talking about how this is a hardship imposed by the merge, and that way ending up confusing people. Transfers have always come with those issues and associated costs.

EME of course isn't helping the case with this slightly-helpful-only-not-really increase of the gold cap from 50k to 100k. It just seems so emblematic of the usual treat some minor surface scratch but then fail to grasp the deeper issue(s) that is/are upsetting people.

I honestly wouldn't even really be surprised if CH doesn't even get offered to be a transfer source, in all of this, only a potential transfer target.

---
    I wonder if there is a way to check how many open character slots I have per server other than making new characters until it won't let me anymore, then delete them.

Not that I'm aware of. It would be something nice to have though (maybe as a number in () on the New Character button? Probably would confuse some people though, so an outright text element of free/open character slots probably would be better). Especially with the mess that they are about to drop on us here.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    > @TJKat said:
    > counterpoint wrote: »
    >
    > Incidentally... this is a totally academic, but I think I've figured out now what the problem is technically, although it's still stupid.
    >
    > BHS doesn't actually keep track of the number of "purchased slots" per server, it just iterates the max allowed. So BHS has no way to tell the difference between the two free slots everyone gets on a server (or the 8 slots founders got) with ones purchased via character slot vouchers.
    >
    > Imagine you have a founders account that has 0 characters on either MT or FF; technically you have 8 slots on each. BHS does not want that kind of account to suddenly get 16 on the merged server; they want them to have 8 still. Likewise, they want free accounts to still have 2 instead of 4. But they do generally want people who used character slots items on a server (but didn't fill it with a character yet) to keep those purchased slots -- in the majority of cases, that would only ever happen on one server, not multiple at once. So, they decided to give the max instead of the sum, and then just hand out some free vouchers instead (during a limited time window)... and hope for the best.
    >
    > To actually do it better, you'd need a more elaborate formula: Either the maximum number of slots between the merging servers or the sum total of characters between the merging servers, whichever is higher. So then you'd get:
    >
    > 0 characters (8 slots) + 0 characters (8 slots) = 8 slots
    > 4 characters (4 slots) + 0 characters (2 slots) = 4 slots
    > 8 characters (8 slots) + 4 characters (8 slots) = 12 slots
    >
    > This still wouldn't account for a case where someone used extra slots on multiple servers and did not fill them with characters, but at least it would account for the case where they did create characters. Then you'd solve the problem for even more of your "edge cases" without giving everyone in the game (even those who didn't login) a bunch of free slots.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This occurred to me as well. I'd figured it would be a simple matter of Total Slots - 2 to account for the two free ones you get on every server, but I'd forgotten founders got 8 free slots. I still think that simple formula would be the best solution. Add two free character slots per server where you have active characters (to a maximum of 4 slots), and that would guarantee no one loses characters unless they exceed 20 per server. Yes it means founders get 6 - 8 free slots per server, but is that really such a bad compromise? If they were already using those slots, great, they don't lose characters either. If they weren't using those slots, with the current state of the game, what makes anyone think they're going to start now?

I'll step up and say it even tho a founders account gives you 8 per server
    Founders aren't free and pending on the package you got so the price changed too , yes you got other stuff as well but none of it was free