[PC] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/15 at 6am PDT, and have an expected downtime of 5 hours. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/terapcmaintenance
[PS4/XB1] Due to an error, we have extended current events (such as dungeon highlights) by one day. The new end time is now 10/15 at 0500 UTC. Thanks for your patience!

yep same old server merge as usual delete detete delete

Comments

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭
    TJKat wrote: »
    Christin wrote: »
    Oh yeah, this was done to save the game. LOL There were loads of other solutions they could have implemented to save the game, so don't kid yourselves into thinking this was done for anyone's benefit other than the dungeon grinders that whined and cried for a merge. You got what you wanted, so if after the merge you end up whining and crying over lag or whatever, save it.

I don't think this merge was done for the benefit of the game at all (nor do I believe it will actually help anything). I'd bet they finally decided to merge servers to cut cost. I imagine someone realized they couldn't justify the cost of maintaining 5 servers with the way they're hemorrhaging players so they're cutting it down to 3.

You're probably right. The faster they merge the servers, the faster the game will die. Now, when people wonder if Tera has a big community, they'll see only 3 servers and know better. If CH merges, then, they'll only be 2 servers. Nothing says "this game is dead" like only 2 servers. LOL

I really do feel bad for the people that have invested a lot of time and money into this game though. As an online gamer for over 10 years, I know what it's like to invest a lot into a game that ends up being a total disappointment. I've learned never to get too invested, because you never know when game creators get some stupid idea in their heads. It's always better to do like my kids do. Spend a bit of cash in a game, and if you can't have enough fun with that, move on. Sure, they've spent more than a bit in games, but that is the basic rule.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I don't think new players judge a game that quickly by just looking at the amount of servers. With the current state of the game they would feel more inclined to leave because they don't see anyone around and can't run any dungeons because there's literally 0 LFG's on dead servers.

It's better to have all of the server merged into one server honestly because people will just transfer again to TR+AV since MT/FF/CH is abandoned.
  • Lapomko wrote: »
    I don't think new players judge a game that quickly by just looking at the amount of servers. With the current state of the game they would feel more inclined to leave because they don't see anyone around and can't run any dungeons because there's literally 0 LFG's on dead servers.

It's better to have all of the server merged into one server honestly because people will just transfer again to TR+AV since MT/FF/CH is abandoned.

having only 2 servers kinda looks bad for the health of a game, but combine it with youtube videos and social media like twitter and all with people talking about how dead tera or any other game is, and people tend to avoid that game.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    TJKat wrote: »
    Oh yeah, this was done to save the game. LOL There were loads of other solutions they could have implemented to save the game, so don't kid yourselves into thinking this was done for anyone's benefit other than the dungeon grinders that whined and cried for a merge. You got what you wanted, so if after the merge you end up whining and crying over lag or whatever, save it.

I don't think this merge was done for the benefit of the game at all (nor do I believe it will actually help anything). I'd bet they finally decided to merge servers to cut cost. I imagine someone realized they couldn't justify the cost of maintaining 5 servers with the way they're hemorrhaging players so they're cutting it down to 3.

I really do feel bad for the people that have invested a lot of time and money into this game though. As an online gamer for over 10 years, I know what it's like to invest a lot into a game that ends up being a total disappointment. I've learned never to get too invested, because you never know when game creators get some stupid idea in their heads. It's always better to do like my kids do. Spend a bit of cash in a game, and if you can't have enough fun with that, move on. Sure, they've spent more than a bit in games, but that is the basic rule.

dont feel bad, we knew the risk when we joined and support tera before than bhs and enmasse suck, so we enjoyed the game while some years, so it is not so bad, it is only since less than one year than the game turn very bad and are not fun anymore :)
  • Elinu1Elinu1 Canada ✭✭✭✭
    Looking at all my characters on TR and AV (my 2 most played servers) I will have to delete 2 characters that have bound hello kitty outfits. Not very happy at all
  • edited September 2018
    Elinu1 wrote: »
    Looking at all my characters on TR and AV (my 2 most played servers) I will have to delete 2 characters that have bound hello kitty outfits. Not very happy at all

Again, not defending this silliness, but just to make sure you use all your available options... due to the free transfer window, you could have the possibility to transfer some characters to either CH or to MT/FF, whether it's these ones or other ones. If you're in a situation where you have nowhere you can transfer and are exceeding the max 20 character cap on all servers, I would definitely contact support and see if they can work something out with you, since it isn't fair.
  • Elinu1Elinu1 Canada ✭✭✭✭
    Elinu1 wrote: »

Again, not defending this silliness, but just to make sure you use all your available options... due to the free transfer window, you could have the possibility to transfer some characters to either CH or to MT/FF, whether it's these ones or other ones. If you're in a situation where you have nowhere you can transfer and are exceeding the max 20 character cap on all servers, I would definitely contact support and see if they can work something out with you, since it isn't fair.

Thanks for the idea, I have very few characters on the pvp servers might move them over when free transfers open. Thanks
  • I feel really bad for players who will be over the current 20 slot limit. For myself, I tried keeping the alt army in check given how the previous merge was handled. So I'll fortunately be just under the limit with TR (16 chars) and AV (2 chars) merging together. CH I have 6 characters. I did read that other thread where seandynamite mentioned they could "pivot on this decision" depending on what happens during the free PvE <-> PvP transfer period.

Since that decision isn't (likely) going to come until after that free transfer period has ended, I've already made a list of chars I'll be transferring to either MT/FF so that I can fit 20 in the event that they do decide to merge all 3 PvE servers.

Regardless, the way merges have been handled with TERA really isn't the most customer friendly ones around; I know the TOU covers this stuff but what I'm referring to is goodwill and trust with publishers (and developers) doing the right thing (in this case, assisting those players who are way over the limit; it isn't their fault when the game isn't coded to cap total character slots on an account wide basis). The entire FAQ is written to dissuade players who are in that boat from deleting characters with paid for cosmetics while offering no obvious assistance beyond that. It's more like you are SOL for having spent money on stuff (and having to possibly spend more on additional slots that won't be covered by the yet unknown amount that EME will be giving out).

I can't believe I am saying this but even Trion (whom I have absolutely no love for), went way out of their way (putting burden on a lot of their own CSR agents) handling cases similar to this on a one-by-one basis when I used to play ArcheAge (and when Devilian was still alive).
  • edited September 2018
    Since that decision isn't (likely) going to come until after that free transfer period has ended, I've already made a list of chars I'll be transferring to either MT/FF so that I can fit 20 in the event that they do decide to merge all 3 PvE servers.

Considering the free transfer period ends coinciding with the merge, if they do decide to "pivot" I can see it basically going one of two ways:

1) They change their mind very quickly and decide to include CH after all. In that case, the free transfer period would accommodate this, although CH players will have less notice and have to adjust. (If they do this, I would hope they decide to delay the merger to give a little bit more time for people given the change in plans, because there is not enough temp bank/wardrobe space to merge three servers at once and items will be deleted.)

2) They change their mind later and decide to do a second merger for CH and the new PvE server at some future time. In that case, I expect they would have another free transfer period for that merger process.

Basically, I do not think CH players have to decide now what to do pending further decisions, because they will have a chance if CH is affected one way or another. But I would definitely watch what happens in the next week or two carefully in case they change their mind.

In any case, as I keep saying, I would encourage the people who have no choice but to delete due to the 20 character cap to contact them regardless and at least give it a shot -- but only if you have no other options at all with the free transfers and free slots. For now, I would definitely encourage everyone to just wait and see a bit. (Particularly, don't spend money now until you know for sure what they're doing with the slots.)
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    In any case, as I keep saying, I would encourage the people who have no choice but to delete due to the 20 character cap to contact them regardless and at least give it a shot -- but only if you have no other options at all with the free transfers and free slots. For now, I would definitely encourage everyone to just wait and see a bit. (Particularly, don't spend money now until you know for sure what they're doing with the slots.)

I instead would continue to tell EME to reconsider that FREE server transfers and change them to be only free from new servers to CH. If there are PvEers in FF and MT then they could fill some ranks at CH. I myself know dozens of players that will leave the new PvP server and transfer for free to a PvE server and that option should be CH because the new PvE server should not be on need of more players.
  • ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

I instead would continue to tell EME to reconsider that FREE server transfers and change them to be only free from new servers to CH. If there are PvEers in FF and MT then they could fill some ranks at CH. I myself know dozens of players that will leave the new PvP server and transfer for free to a PvE server and that option should be CH because the new PvE server should not be on need of more players.

More forcing people to do as you please, and who cares about what they want, right? Control, control and more control. You got your way with the server merges, but now, that is not even enough. Let people go to the servers that they want to go to. If you end up with only one populated server, you have no one to blame but yourselves. Isn't that what y'all demanded in the first place? At least keeping a RP server and PVP server will give into those that strongly want to keep RP and PVP.
    Lapomko wrote: »

It is when most games have many servers. Players now have many options to pick from and are used to heavily populated games. Most games my kids play have pages of servers. It's really rare to see less than 10 servers let alone only 2 or 3. It is what it is.

The servers are merging and most of us will lose names while some will lose a lot more. Unfortunately, a big chunk of players don't care what people will lose yet want us all to care about whether or not they will lose something with an individual server transfer. That's what all of the crying over CH is about isn't it? Those yelling loudest and demanding the merges are now crying, because if they want to be on a busy server, they will have to do individual character transfers. Well, let me get out my fiddle and hear your sad tales of woe. The hypocrisy is amazing, which is why I like to point it out.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    ElinUsagi wrote: »

More forcing people to do as you please, and who cares about what they want, right? Control, control and more control. You got your way with the server merges, but now, that is not even enough. Let people go to the servers that they want to go to. If you end up with only one populated server, you have no one to blame but yourselves. Isn't that what y'all demanded in the first place? At least keeping a RP server and PVP server will give into those that strongly want to keep RP and PVP.

It is when most games have many servers. Players now have many options to pick from and are used to heavily populated games. Most games my kids play have pages of servers. It's really rare to see less than 10 servers let alone only 2 or 3. It is what it is.

The servers are merging and most of us will lose names while some will lose a lot more. Unfortunately, a big chunk of players don't care what people will lose yet want us all to care about whether or not they will lose something with an individual server transfer. That's what all of the crying over CH is about isn't it? Those yelling loudest and demanding the merges are now crying, because if they want to be on a busy server, they will have to do individual character transfers. Well, let me get out my fiddle and hear your sad tales of woe. The hypocrisy is amazing, which is why I like to point it out.

I never asked for a server merge and you are only talking [filtered] to others for a long time, it wouldn't be weird if you are paid by a third party to talk [filtered] on other games, because that is what you look like.
  • DecenderDecender
    edited September 2018
    In regards to the OP, I like the servers getting merged tbh, it's a good thing overall if the game requires such, but I find it problematic to say that with all the downsides that come with that. I completely agree that it's pretty unfair that we have to delete our characters before the server merge. That we lose out on character slots if we happened to be on that server before and transferred or switched servers, so now those character/bank/wardrobe slots are just lost because they are forced to "merge." The unsatisfying use of the term "merge" being used is honestly quite false, because that's not merging, it's more comparable to throwing the ">" or "<" symbol between the numbers and being like "yep, that ones bigger." Like I'd feel like the more fair way to do this would just be, at the very least, to give the extra character/bank/wardrobe slots that were used on the would be losing server in that greater than or less than contest and somehow keep them. Like one servers got 5 slots, the other has 4, so the new server could at least give said account 7 slots on that new server, and the same for the bank and wardrobe slots. Idk how difficult it would be for that to happen but it just sounds a tad lazy for us as the players to have to plan around the server merge as much as we are being asked. I mean no disrespect in any of this, just as someone who enjoys Tera, I, and I'm sure all players, would prefer to keep what they've already invested.
  • That's completely on BHS/EME for people losing their characters. Easily solved with giving us an option to transfer the remaining characters to another account. Such a simple task that they can't even do make me question their competence. Do the staff even play their own game?
  • edited September 2018
    That's completely on BHS/EME for people losing their characters. Easily solved with giving us an option to transfer the remaining characters to another account.

Speaking for myself personally, cross-account moving isn't really all that great a solution. What about account item claim? What about TERA Rewards buffs? What about Elite? What about the bank and wardrobe? I mean, yes, I get that it's technically better than having to delete a character, but you're basically just orphaning them. It'd be a lot easier to just either a) increase the max character slots per server, or b) work with the affected people to at least rebind the rare items they'd lose.