[TERA PC] With anniversary concluded and our servers stabilized, we are re-enabling the Adventure Coin system, starting 10 a.m. PT on June 5 (Fri) with the scheduled Weekend Dungeon Highlight. Thank you for understanding.
[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

Do new players stand a chance these days?

Hey guys,

So I am thinking to join Tera and play as a casual PvP player. How does a new players like myself stand against the masses of old players that have been heavily invested in the game over the years - will I be able to fully indulge in the Tera experience or will it be just me running around low level zones and struggling to find a party for raids, grinding, etc?
Most importantly how is the community in this game? Are guilds looking to welcome loyal players and work together as a whole to bring everyone to a decent level were end game content can be done collectively as a group?

All your feedback will be greatly appreciated and kindly received.

Thank you,
G

Comments

• Yeah game is funny, if you aren't looking for extreme hardcore pvp, you can play battlegrounds, those are funny and easy to get parties everyday, mostly nights, but dont expect to be the number 1 unless you have the time to get the best armor ingame. Then you can pvp outiside popular towns with people.

Leveling now , is player one only, cause is too fast and is hard to find a party, except for kumas royale. Thats pop faster.

Grinding for money and low level items its easy find parties to play, low, mid tier dugens, raids guardian missions, Bams or events.

Grinding for harcore is guild only, you may hit a wall if going for the top tier things without a guild.
  • The progression for endgame here is very good. You'll get a lot of naysayers in the forum who don't even play the game, but the reality is that as long as you're playing, you're progressing.

The only time you'll hit a wall is post stormcry, which is understandable since that's the climb to getting best in slot gear.
  • In my experience with this game I think due to low population and toxicity. Guilds aren't bothered to help new players out to do endgame dungeons because they already have an established group of ppl they always run with.

AAHM, one of the end game dungeon has a [filtered] dps check made for korean ping so if your dps is low no one will take you unless you can do mlg damage.
  • MelyodisMelyodis ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Lapomko wrote: »
    In my experience with this game I think due to low population and toxicity. Guilds aren't bothered to help new players out to do endgame dungeons because they already have an established group of ppl they always run with.

AAHM, one of the end game dungeon has a [filtered] dps check made for korean ping so if your dps is low no one will take you unless you can do mlg damage.

do you have proof of this cause the guild i'm in we help everyone that joins what I've been seeing is that for some reason new players play for while and then stop, have no idea why but in the guild i'm in we have learning runs setup etc and also pvp practice as a guild 3 times a week including a score run setup to help our members improve their dps, just that some new players don't want to dedicate the time to learn or get better despite all the bad stuff in this game new players retention is lacking because many guilds don't know [filtered] to treat new players. join a guild on an alt when i got accepted i waited a bit not even a welcome or hi how you doing ect not one response for the members that were online that was a turn off i left that guild immediately. so even though as you said (due to low population and toxicity) There other factor involved that is pushing players to not stay long or continue playing.
  • Lapomko wrote: »
    In my experience with this game I think due to low population and toxicity. Guilds aren't bothered to help new players out to do endgame dungeons because they already have an established group of ppl they always run with.

Thats not necessary true. Theres a lot of casual Guilds who would love to have new players to join them, and they gladly would teach them how to decently play the game and not just face tank everything and such.
    Also, with the upcoming merge, theres IMO a high chance that new guilds are gonna be showing up trying to find new people regardless of their experience, which is the case of many guilds ive already seen doing it.

To the OP; dont get discouraged because of old players. The game's not perfect but gives you some help throught the first gearing part. Its decently easy to get frostmetal, and obviously gets harder as you go up. Nothing new in an MMO. Some people say its too hard, but not really to me, I play like 5 hrs per week most and Im already ilvl 453 which is the needed to do the very endgame, and I dont even play with anybody these days, I have no friends left playing cus many quit due to school and such. My point is you can actually play and gear up and enjoy the game as it is now. And of course with new patchs coming (talents, apex2, merge, new dungeons, etc) the game's probably improving a lot.
  • New players don't stand a chance. The grind is insurmountable unless you are willing to P2W.
  • New players don't stand a chance. The grind is insurmountable unless you are willing to P2W.

that because you want +9 stormcry in one day don't know why players so hurry to get stormcry and you can't eve do 1mil dps like the many iv'e met in ims take your time learn the game get better ect there is more to game that just gearing.
  • DigivolveDigivolve ✭✭✭✭
    Casual PvP? Dont even bother. Even if you only do battlegrounds newbies will be quickly remembered with their large amount of deaths and quickly kicked the following games. CS you may slide in more often, but FWC you'll get kicked just for the sake of it - this includes not being +7 sc or part of some mlg sync. And VO, commonly represented as "pvp practicing area" you'll be ganked and shamed for interrupting someone's [filtered] measuring contest
  • My experience is how well you do in pvp depends simply how much you'll invest. Did casual pvp myself for a time, but the chief difficulty of predicting the other player's actions always gave me trouble. Being a true pvp master takes artistic thinking, which I lack.

There's also the simple annoyance a lot of pvp mains went for +15 gear when Awakening was first introduced. In theory, yes, +12 casual pvp gear can work, but some got turned off because +15 hits a bit harder and it's got quite the grind, whether you farm the mats yourself or purchase it from other players. The other problem is guilds like Good Fight are tough to compete against in actual pvp simply because they're well-equipped as well as stocked with skilled players.

New players, overall, just have to be willing to grit their teeth and do lots, it seems. Makes Tera quickly become a job. The biggest deterrent seems to be the lack of rewards--ranked pvp players have bragging rights, maybe a few cosmetics, and memories of winning in a virtual world. Don't know about you, but those aren't appealing rewards to most new players.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi, +9 sc weapon and +7 sc armor here. Also 3 failed heroic oath attempts.
    It feels super easy and doable until you hit mid frostmetal, then it feels like a slight grind especially if your rng is horrible. After stormcry it's pretty bad due to golden talents (material needed for enchanting, but at stormcry the amount you need jumps up a ton) being a major bottleneck. Doing heroic oath beyond stormcry is just a meme, don't even bother unless you have an AAHM static.

tldr getting to frost is fine, progressing up to stormcry is doable, progressing through stormcry is very time consuming, and progressing past sc is a meme.
  • DvsvDvsv ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Just ignore ppl saying they're casual and got SC+7~9 playing 1 Hr per day, they're either liers or full P2W players.
    Tera is a VERY grindy game (and it'll be even more grindy on the next patches) if you want a reasonable gear (lower frost metal at this point is more like trash tier, you need 446 iLVL just for AANM lol!).
    When i was playing this game there was perma double VG (i.e: 14 Gold Talents per IOD BAM) and 3x VG event on top of every VG quest rewarding meta tokens and even then it took me an insane ~5 months just for SC 9/8/8/8 on my warrior, now full SC+9 is not even BIS anymore and they nerfed everything that you can farm on this game, it'll take a LOT more time now just to farm that same SC 9/8/8/8 gear lol!
    If you start now, by the time you reach SC+9, it'll be more like an upper mid tier gear, cuz you know, we got all this gear revamp bs to not change gear each 6 months... oh wait.. :D
  • I joined the game 3 months ago and id say yes new players still stand a chance.. gearing wise is also not a problem since there are also people who is just starting or someone making alt or u can run with strong guys doing guild quest ...a little problem on the high end dungeons coz it seems like everyone wants to run it with only good people and doesnt have the patience for newbs(not all tho).
  • metagamemetagame ✭✭✭✭
    Dvsv wrote: »
    Just ignore ppl saying they're casual and got SC+7~9 playing 1 Hr per day, they're either liers or full P2W players.
    we're closing in on a year since the gear has been out now, it's very possible to do that at this point.
  • Hi, I welcome you to join my guild on Mount Tyrannas, the pvp server. G > Search for guilds > search up "Probes addictive" and you can join right away. I actively look for new players and help them start out in this game. I will give you starter items and a power level if you can find me online, as well as advice if you ever ask.

The goal is to help you reach max level - 65 as fast as possible, and then you can figure things out from there. The game honestly starts at max level, and I see a lot of people quitting much before that so I'd like to help you with that. There will be a much higher emphasis on PvE over pvp as the game is more catered towards it. There is no pressure into staying in the guild, but you probably won't find any other guild that is trying to help new players as much.

discord.gg/pABS3ym for an up to date short guide on everything you'd need to know for levelling to help you transition to 65.
  • Digivolve wrote: »
    Casual PvP? Dont even bother. Even if you only do battlegrounds newbies will be quickly remembered with their large amount of deaths and quickly kicked the following games. CS you may slide in more often, but FWC you'll get kicked just for the sake of it - this includes not being +7 sc or part of some mlg sync. And VO, commonly represented as "pvp practicing area" you'll be ganked and shamed for interrupting someone's [filtered] measuring contest

This only happens if people have the wrong crystals or they are clearly feeders and have constant games with kills 0/ deaths 10/ assists 0

Pretty much all games I play they never kick equalized people unless they have incorrect crystals