[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/21 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Unreal engine 4

I heard that Blade and Soul is upgrading from Unreal 3 to 4 which can actually make that game more optimize. Why cant TERA do that. Seems that Bluehole has a thing with games that run in unreal 3 which is very obsolete this day and age.

Comments

• VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Why can't tera do that? Cause BHS loves UE3 so much they're sleeping with it like it's their wives and hate change as much as these forum dwellers
  • PUBG is UE4, it's apparently still just as problematic as BHS's UE3 games.

So I wouldn't put any stock in any such switch actually helping us.

Too many instances where the render loop seems to freeze while it waits for network traffic to finish, or some asset to load. Or how they do things like sending you your entire inventory to update one item, thus hammering your network connection if you do something like use nocts in a fight.

The engine being upgraded just seems like a very minor thing there. Sure, it would help with various things, but BHS reworking their network messages to be less wasteful, to try to move network communication out of render loops, and things like that seem like they'd help us far more.

Though on a technical level, given how much more code integrated animations seem to be in UE3, that would likely be a fairly major transplant. I can see why they wouldn't want to do that. Especially when their previous forays into UE4 seem to have not been met with any great leaps forward in performance either.
  • LordMurasamaLordMurasama ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Part of it is a matter of expertise; much of the design experience in South Korea has been production pipelines utilizing UE3. NCsoft however has decided to go "all in" with UE4 and thus is retooling those processes as well as getting current software engineers and designers up to speed with UE4. Part of this is a learning process which they are also drawing from when they scrapped Lineage Eternal (an MMO-ARPG originally designed in UE3), hired an entirely new development team, and have been taking the past 1.5 years to come up with a new design developed using UE4 (what they are currently referring to as Project TL). They've made this same investment into Aion as well as the B&S. NCsoft is a big company though (especially in terms of people resources) so they can afford the investment (money and people). Bluehole (prior to PUBG), has never had the kind of revenues and more so, engineering resources of some of the larger studios in Korea. And even with PUBG's success, they still operate with their Alliance setup (smaller subsidiaries that tend to operate independently and allowed to sink/swim once they've been given the initial resources/leash from the parent company). PUBG is their only PC/console game that uses UE4 (but again, they didn't really spend time designing and then optimizing the game to take full advantage of the engine because they didn't really expect the game to be as successful as it was during early access).

Because there are a lot of non-trivial changes between UE3 and UE4, it's not exactly inexpensive to completely change engines for an existing game; matter of factly, it amounts to recoding (for optimization purposes) everything from scratch as well (some folks look at it as equivalent to coding a new game). It's also pretty much the same with redoing animations and possibly some assets again for the sake of taking full advantage of some of the granularity that UE4 offers. Like I could import a mesh and model assets designed for say Gamebryo, Unity, or UE3, but could redo the textures to provide much better visuals as well as adding more bones in order to provide much better movement as a simple example. Doing this costs a lot of money though in terms of resources with graphic artists, animators, and then working with the team that does the visual effects as well as game client coders. There are these logistical issues (production blocking where certain tasks need to be completed first before another part of the process can continue) as well. I don't believe the team that currently handles TERA is that large.

This (moving to UE4) would be something that parent Bluehole (the decision making part) would need to make an executive decision on. Right now, they are probably just focused on A:IR (which unfortunately was also done with UE3) for Kakao
  • LN7959XC44LN7959XC44 ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    RKC wrote: »
    I heard that Blade and Soul is upgrading from Unreal 3 to 4 which can actually make that game more optimize. Why cant TERA do that. Seems that Bluehole has a thing with games that run in unreal 3 which is very obsolete this day and age.

Because is not that easy as it seems hahahahaha. Do you think that going from UE3 to UE4 is just like, ok, lets do it. lol. You heard... you can hear all kind of things. But migrating a game engine to a higher version costs a lot of time, efforts and safeguards. If Blade and sould is doing it, probably they have a lot of time to waste, they will shut down the servers for 4-5 days at least, and good for em. Its a nice move to say the truth, usually DECENT companies try to upgrade the game engine whenever they can. And some companies did that in the past, but only A VERY FEW.

But we are talking about gameforge / BH, not so decent company. So, sorry to break your bubble, but not gonna happen anytime soon i think. If they dont close servers soon because of all the scam (people is already tired of it, or they should) that is making people leave, i dont think they going to waste time migrating to a better version of the engine lol.
  • clfarron4clfarron4 ✭✭✭✭
    clfarron4 wrote: »
    Vinyltails wrote: »
    As much as people want this, BHS is never gonna do it...just look at A:IR their newest game, that's on UE3 in 2018...there is no way they're gonna touch UE4

Besides, it's too much effort for them and BHS hates effort..we've asked for this before along with other basic stuff but yeah...Just another thing they're gonna laugh at and ignore dispite the support

Does anyone remember Project EXA? The base character models have already been done, but that's as far as they got.

• instead of making that [filtered] called AIR they should have taken that money and learn UE4 and port tera then spend some out of that to learn optimize full stop.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Melyodis wrote: »
    instead of making that [filtered] called AIR they should have taken that money and learn UE4 and port tera then spend some out of that to learn optimize full stop.

I highly doubt that is going to happen and even if BHS invest on learning a new engine I doubt they will do it to improve TERA.

I really think that BHS is afraid to make an huge investment in the game because they have already the experience of the big failure at launch and they will only try to make things that are more cash shop related. Even the content we have pales in comparison to the first expansion TERA had.

We have received good aditions in the past but these have been included so slow that makes the game boring for many poeple to keep doing the new content for long.

We are only looking at the logical way to do things from a company that is afraid to be in huge debt and losses as they were not even 2 years after the game was launched. You should also consider that.
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because Tera stopped being BHS' flagship game a long time ago. This game's been out a long long time and is basically like a cash cow that needs to be lightly fed once every 6 months and it'll just keep pooping out cash. Why do a major overhaul on a title that's past its prime when you could move your skilled developers over to PUBG and AIR?
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as people want this, BHS is never gonna do it...just look at A:IR their newest game, that's on UE3 in 2018...there is no way they're gonna touch UE4

Besides, it's too much effort for them and BHS hates effort..we've asked for this before along with other basic stuff but yeah...Just another thing they're gonna laugh at and ignore dispite the support

Does anyone remember Project EXA? The base character models have already been done, but that's as far as they got.

I still dream of that epic graphic Elin...

By the way, wasn't it also the case that BHS doesn't have anymore the full source code?
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinLove wrote: »

I still dream of that epic graphic Elin...

By the way, wasn't it also the case that BHS doesn't have anymore the full source code?

I can't find the source of that pic anywhere.

I wonder if it was fan made.
  • BHS themselves said they don't want/wont do.
  • RKC wrote: »

Reason is money. An Unreal Engine License is expensive. It is one of the more expensive engines out there. Only CryEngine is more expensive. An Unreal Engine license is $750,000 and CryEngine is a cool $1.2 million.
  • Part of Project EXA's game design (the social aspects) was merged into Project W (A:IR) and another small part of it was initially used as a concept prior to Bluehole Ginno's hiring of Brendan Greene as creative director (when it became clear that even the global version of Devilian Mobile was not meeting expectations) for what eventually became PUBG. They decided against using the Project EXA assets for the pre-PUBG concept though so it remains to be seen what Bluehole will do with them. Bluehole is like a Blackhole at times; I still wonder what became of that "Elin Expedition" mobile game they were working on... http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=104110
    ElinUsagi wrote: »
    I can't find the source of that pic anywhere.

I wonder if it was fan made.
    It was made by a former 3D artist at Bluehole Studios; Jang Seonghwan (he's a freelancer now).
  • note tera still has 2d in 75% of the game the 4 engine would crash a lot an also remember under Valka if it was the 4 you wont get your character back wen you fell under it .
  • remember graphics overlays an the 4 don't mix well