[PC] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/15 at 6am PDT, and have an expected downtime of 5 hours. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/terapcmaintenance
[PS4/XB1] Due to an error, we have extended current events (such as dungeon highlights) by one day. The new end time is now 10/15 at 0500 UTC. Thanks for your patience!

bring back original island of dawn

2»

Comments

• @KitTeaCup do you think you can make this happen?
  • can they just add a seperate instance of old island of dawn ? is this possible?
    They could but it would add to server side resource usage (memory usage and potential load). Doing something like this would make sense if there are plans to progress the story in this area (see below).

Another thing they could do however is do like what they do for Guardian Missions where different assets are loaded in (sucks on the client side where you have that stutter and FPS drop) and certain mobs despawned.

I'm actually wondering if this is what they'll eventually do (combination of both) since there is that "Sign of Hope" quest (added in patch 68) where it builds on the prior quest that hints that there might be a way to restore the island back to its prior state. This last quest added hints the island is now recovering due to those essense of life that have been spawning across the island.... just in case anyone didn't really read the text from the ending of that quest chain.

• Maddhawk wrote: »
    Once I finished the quest chain on the new island and made it to Velika, the cutscene dialogue all had the NPCs stating I had just come from IoD and not the new beginner island. Talk about lazy.

The quest dialog and cutscenes in Stepstone actually set up the explanation for this, such that it is. Considering that they didn't want to fork the story into two paths, I thought the way they handled this was reasonable (but you had to pay attention to all the quest text in Stepstone to understand).

Tydarius wrote: »
    From a purely nostalgic standpoint yeah it'd be nice to see the old school iod again. However truth be told I understand why it was removed in favor of the new starting area. Tbh most of the old iod was empty space. You spent far more time traveling from main quest NPC to main quest NPC than actually progressing anywhere.

Yeah, this is what I always say as well. As a pretty and nostalgic area it's great (I took videos of it before they took it down too, because I have a lot of memories there), but it was no longer suited as a tutorial island given the pacing. By the end, you spent way too much time idly traveling from point A to B to do the simplest thing. Stepstone condenses all this into a very short area and has a greater emphasis on combat. As a tutorial, although it may be less endearing (and people may hate the story), it's more effective at introducing action combat and keeping things moving.

I wanna preface by saying theres truth in everything you said.
    But stepstone island looks like [filtered], chases away new players and needs to go, no excuses.
  • edited September 2018
    Maxmilian wrote: »
    Maddhawk wrote: »
    Once I finished the quest chain on the new island and made it to Velika, the cutscene dialogue all had the NPCs stating I had just come from IoD and not the new beginner island. Talk about lazy.

The quest dialog and cutscenes in Stepstone actually set up the explanation for this, such that it is. Considering that they didn't want to fork the story into two paths, I thought the way they handled this was reasonable (but you had to pay attention to all the quest text in Stepstone to understand).

Tydarius wrote: »
    From a purely nostalgic standpoint yeah it'd be nice to see the old school iod again. However truth be told I understand why it was removed in favor of the new starting area. Tbh most of the old iod was empty space. You spent far more time traveling from main quest NPC to main quest NPC than actually progressing anywhere.

Yeah, this is what I always say as well. As a pretty and nostalgic area it's great (I took videos of it before they took it down too, because I have a lot of memories there), but it was no longer suited as a tutorial island given the pacing. By the end, you spent way too much time idly traveling from point A to B to do the simplest thing. Stepstone condenses all this into a very short area and has a greater emphasis on combat. As a tutorial, although it may be less endearing (and people may hate the story), it's more effective at introducing action combat and keeping things moving.

I wanna preface by saying theres truth in everything you said.
    But stepstone island looks like [filtered], chases away new players and needs to go, no excuses.

Honestly, two can play that game. The old Island of Dawn looked pretty, but (in the last state) you spent more than half your time travelling from point A to B to do inane stupidity, and even the final fight was nerfed to the point where nothing in the whole thing ever demonstrated action combat at all. In that state, it also chased away new players and needed to go (which is I'm sure part of what prompted the creation of Stepstone in the first place).

The answer isn't just throw away Stepstone and go back to the previous state of Island of Dawn. They would need to make something that combines the strengths of both.

Either way, though, I suspect most of the actual new players end up quitting between levels 20 and 50, rather than in the tutorial. If they make it past 50 most likely they probably will go the rest of the way. But it would be interesting to see the data.
  • KXRC9JMW74KXRC9JMW74 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    @KitTeaCup do you think you can make this happen?

I doubt this is an EME thing, Contact BHS they make the rules not EME
  • can they add instances of old IOD without monsters and npcs..and just let it be a hangout spot?
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    can they add instances of old IOD without monsters and npcs..and just let it be a hangout spot?

Add at least one NPC

KIRIYA