[PC] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/15 at 6am PDT, and have an expected downtime of 5 hours. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/terapcmaintenance
[PS4/XB1] Due to an error, we have extended current events (such as dungeon highlights) by one day. The new end time is now 10/15 at 0500 UTC. Thanks for your patience!

Do you miss the old Island of Dawn?

I still recall my past experience with the Island of Dawn's prologue and early levels. I remember partying up with so many players and exploring such beautiful map. I also quite liked the story and the whole mystery surrounding Elleon. Too bad it was all scrapped in the end and replaced by the monotonous Stepstone Isle. I also recorded and uploaded the old cinematic intro. You can watch it here.

Best Answer

• BartholomeusBartholomeus ✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Yes I do miss everything about it, the look and also original starting quests, I also miss all things that are gone now: campfires and stamina (yeah I was one of few who liked that), alliance, Nexus, open world events, guild fair, ... basically human interaction in open world events.
    I still remember what made me play on CH for so long and why playing on AV was not for me. I started on AV but somehow didn't fit into anything, left Tera for few months and came back to CH, where for starters got greeted by kind person on IoD, who chatted with newbies, all in all had fun and also gave out small gifts. Finding some interaction with players was easy, so I stayed. :)
    I was also coming back to IoD to do the same as that person did, to interact with newbies, explain basics, helped them and also gave out small gifts, or just buff everybody (when priest buffs didn't have party limit).
    Sorry got carried away by nostalgia.

Answers

• no
    i wouldn't mind if they removed all pre northern arun areas so that new chars start with the northern arun quest line
    not like there's anything to do b4 lvl 65 anyway
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes, because it was a nice place to chill :)
  • yeah. it was pretty. the new starting area kinda chases away new players, at least in my experiences.
  • heartlessladyheartlesslady ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I absolutely e love the original island of dawn. I played Tera when Aion was still kinda popular. Loved the non tab target combat. Even though I was fighting piglings, terrons and verkas it was very fun. You had many things to do at the island of dawn and it taught you how to gather, use campfires and charms, bombs and combat. This new step stone isle doesn’t :/

Not sure why they removed it and replaced it
  • i thought it was one of the dumbest ideas that bhs did when they removed iod and replaced it with babysitting island. iod was beautiful and the leveling wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. you got introduced to different things in the game like how to use bombs, campfires, charms, and mining and gathering.
    I know people will come on here and say that babysitting isle replaced iod to streamline the leveling process, but if that's the case, why not just start everyone at level 65 , remove the open world all together, and just have highwatch, velika, burned out iod, and then just use the teleport feature in vangaurds to get around. then maybe the game wouldn't run as slow, since people used that excuse for not bringing back iod and alliances, and it would streamline the leveling process even more.
    people come in forums and gripe about wanting this and that removed from the game cause its not needed, and then stuff gets removed. if you don't want to do something, just don't do it. don't ruin it for everyone else.
  • also, we had one of the staff members from eme come on forums before saying that they would look into seeing if they could bring back iod, and we never heard anything back from that.
  • i used to visit IoD and give 10 gold to randoms, that made them so happy and i was laughing my [filtered] off they thinking its a lot of money lmao
  • also, we had one of the staff members from eme come on forums before saying that they would look into seeing if they could bring back iod, and we never heard anything back from that.

That's pretty typical. Guild Wars 2 had a a year worth of massive content and features. Sadly, it was "live content". This means that once that year was over... everything was lost. The company promised they would sort that out and make it re-playable somewhat. It's been four years now and they decided to go mute about that.
  • MeningitisMeningitis ✭✭✭✭
    BHS seems to be working on bringing back old IoD's looks at least. The quest line points to it and I remember hearing stuff about them saying it was going to happen eventually. Wish i had the source.
  • > @Meningitis said:
    > BHS seems to be working on bringing back old IoD's looks at least. The quest line points to it and I remember hearing stuff about them saying it was going to happen eventually. Wish i had the source.

Think that is only for classic servers.
  • > @Meningitis said:
    > BHS seems to be working on bringing back old IoD's looks at least. The quest line points to it and I remember hearing stuff about them saying it was going to happen eventually. Wish i had the source.

Well, the quest hints are on the live servers. Perhaps when we go to the supposed new area, it'll replace the purpose of IoD, so they'll set IoD back to the old look. (But probably not as a tutorial area.)
  • I miss the visuals of the old IoD, however, I don't really miss the old intro quests and don't really want ihem back. After 3 or 4 characters it became quite boring and long to me, Stepstone Island, as repetitive as it can be, at least can be completed a lot faster. Besides, most of the content featured in the mini tutorials is gone anyway (throwing bombs, stamina, charms), the gathering system can be showed to new players at any other point of the leveling process or even at lvl 65. But yeah, I'd really like to have the old IoD looks back
  • I honestly miss IOD, since it was a big part of what got alot of my irl friends into playing, I used to send them screenshots of IOD and the progression and the wonder of IOD and the bustling feeling of the first area always drew people in. Stepstone isle, while it is faster and has an interesting dynamic with that argon boss, feels lifeless. You don't get the joys of seeing random full p2w lvl 65'ers running around helping their friends or just chilling, interacting with new players or even the amazing colors and effects that IOD had. Looking back at my old screenshots of me levelling random alts I honestly miss that feeling in the beginning area, cause now I use it as a race between my friends to see how fast we can get to velika.
  • I missed the quest where you climb a big stairs to heaven.
    While watch the glory of high elves, castanic and elin females while climbing.

Best ever quest.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely remember it with fond memories of starting this game, and yes remember running on foot too much.
    But, it was way more worthwhile running on foot there than on Stepstone Isle. The sort of lenghty Lv 1-10 progression had it's charm as well, I do remember this was one nice point of learning the basics of the game with your friend, either you as a 1st timer, or teaching around your friend. That and the old Fey Forest quests, sort of worth even tho slow.
    Gatokatzen wrote: »
    I missed the quest where you climb a big stairs to heaven.
    While watch the glory of high elves, castanic and elin females while climbing.

Best ever quest.

Oooh the vines, A fellow of culture found! Don't forget humans too, they may be more generic but their rear is just as marvelous. TFW 1st thing I did to the game after starting it was applying the K-TERA Elin de-censor mod so it was quite the view even on low levels

Another thing I just can't forget is our beloved deaf NPC, KIRIYA, THE BOMB THROWING NPC THAT SCREAMS AFTER GETTING SORT OF DEAF FROM YEARS OF BOMB THROWING CLASSES!!
    She has to become Velika's broker or banker for sure.
    > @Meningitis said:

Well, the quest hints are on the live servers. Perhaps when we go to the supposed new area, it'll replace the purpose of IoD, so they'll set IoD back to the old look. (But probably not as a tutorial area.)

This, frankly, gets me very hyped. I mean even if we don't have it as a starting area, getting a clean IoD is great. We need that chill place back (and Scythera Fae needs to be better known)