[PC] Maintenance is now complete!

Really

I do not understand why they removed proxy

I'm being forced to play with high ping around 220+, and pretty much every game class needs a low ping to be useful

okay to remove certain things to avoid hackers and etc.. but remove a NECESSARY thing to play that without it we were at total disadvantage with someone playing in the region with low ping is ridiculous

I'm practically leaving this game, I've been playing since 2013 and I've seen a lot of failures and errors on the part of this company that disappoint me and make me quit the game.

Comments

• They dont allow 3rd party programs. It's in their ToS.

And yet, there was a screenshot around showing how one GM was encouraging a player to use VPN/Proxy to have a better net stability.

Kinda crazy how even the communication among them fails.
  • I've been told by the GM cobaltdragon to use a VPN while playing in college, I can post the ticket if anyone needs proof
  • AmakusaKunAmakusaKun ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Ryusama wrote: »
    They dont allow 3rd party programs. It's in their ToS.

And yet, there was a screenshot around showing how one GM was encouraging a player to use VPN/Proxy to have a better net stability.

they banned me from discord for sharing a screenshot of a GM telling me to use VPN
  • VPN/proxy and the teraproxy are two different things, a VPN/proxy changes the route your internet connection takes to connect you to tera, which can lower latency and increase stability in some cases. teraproxy enables the ability to spam packets at the server to simulate what it might be like if your ping were much lower than it is in reality. it also enables other far less legitimate uses that can range from wtf to absolutely gamebreaking. Unfortunately the state of tera's code/coders is such that eme/bhs aren't capable of implementing reasonable server-side checks to stop it, so they're having their lawyers annoy people instead. That's just the world we live in.
  • VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    AmakusaKun wrote: »
    Ryusama wrote: »
    They dont allow 3rd party programs. It's in their ToS.

they banned me from discord for sharing a screenshot of a GM telling me to use VPN

All links and screenshots are evil!
  • sanj66sanj66 ✭✭✭✭
    VPN/proxy and the teraproxy are two different things, a VPN/proxy changes the route your internet connection takes to connect you to tera, which can lower latency and increase stability in some cases. teraproxy enables the ability to spam packets at the server to simulate what it might be like if your ping were much lower than it is in reality. it also enables other far less legitimate uses that can range from wtf to absolutely gamebreaking. Unfortunately the state of tera's code/coders is such that eme/bhs aren't capable of implementing reasonable server-side checks to stop it, so they're having their lawyers annoy people instead. That's just the world we live in.

its still 3rd party software my guy, no matter how you look at it and it gives you an unfair advantage over people who dont use it. the same arguements you make can be used for a regular proxy/vpn. glitching gates in bgs, dungeons and force desyncing can be done without proxy, as in tera proxy, and can be done with or without a vpn.
  • sanj66 wrote: »
    VPN/proxy and the teraproxy are two different things, a VPN/proxy changes the route your internet connection takes to connect you to tera, which can lower latency and increase stability in some cases. teraproxy enables the ability to spam packets at the server to simulate what it might be like if your ping were much lower than it is in reality. it also enables other far less legitimate uses that can range from wtf to absolutely gamebreaking. Unfortunately the state of tera's code/coders is such that eme/bhs aren't capable of implementing reasonable server-side checks to stop it, so they're having their lawyers annoy people instead. That's just the world we live in.

its still 3rd party software my guy, no matter how you look at it and it gives you an unfair advantage over people who dont use it. the same arguements you make can be used for a regular proxy/vpn. glitching gates in bgs, dungeons and force desyncing can be done without proxy, as in tera proxy, and can be done with or without a vpn.

the difference is that a VPN is not modifying the way tera sends/receives packets. playing on a vpn with 80 ping is the same as playing on a normal connection with 80 ping. 3rd party utilities, however, enable you to do things that other players cannot do no matter their ping.
  • I already uninstalled, will play some dragon quest XI and then go back to EU when I feel like playing more tera. But i'm sure all those 200+ ping people will stay and attempt to clear dps checks in ssh aah ds, its totally doable with ping like that xD. Eventually you totally wont be marked as that low dps guy and not even allowed to join capable parties.

• tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    sanj66 wrote: »

it is yes but its not to tera its to your routing
    End-User License Agreement
    use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify any part of TERA
  • tisnotme wrote: »
    it is yes but its not to tera its to your routing
    End-User License Agreement
    use cheats, automation software (bots), hacks, mods or any other unauthorized third-party software designed to modify any part of TERA

Okay, let's not argue semantics, as every single game on the market has a ToS, EULA, and all sorts of other legal documentation. However, there is a metaphoric line drawn, when it comes to 3rd party software. Every ToS, EULA etc states that they are against 3PS, yet fail to mention the given line. There are a multitude of things that contribute to any single computer out there, some of which are designed to alter games, others, the computer itself.

I don't feel as though I'm being clear, so to simplify, Nvidia (the video card company) has a program that is installed with your video card called GForceExperience. What does it do? It optimizes video settings for applications on your computer, directly modifying game files. Is it considered 3PS? Not to almost any gaming company at market right now. Is it though? Yes, by definition. Is it harmful to any game? That's an opinion based question that I can't answer. So should gaming companies be DMCA'ing Nvidia? I mean, they could technically, but should they? Would they?

To go on further, did you know it is actually not against the ToS or the EULA to buy/sell gold/in-game items for real money? It's against the code of conduct, yes, but nobody was given a choice to accept or decline (or even made aware of) this premise. Ignorance isn't an excuse. I only bring this up because it actually shows how many people read a considerably large legal document before hitting accept. The answer is: not many. I wouldn't imagine this anywhere, but a ToS could say that a company legally retains the right to share your personal credit card numbers with people over seas, and you could end up being a victim of identity theft that you willfully signed up for to play a game.

My point is, not many people read the ToS, even less understand it.
  • TankyHealerTankyHealer ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    By the way I'll just leave that here as well

https://pastebin.com/5gSHMkRE

this was deleted about 10 mins after posting.
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    VPNs are an exception afaik there was a post about this before.
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭

Body is 10 characters too short.
  • ChakNenseChakNense ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    There are no professionals on mEmE! They do not mind the consequences, and the game has always been losing players. I've been playing Tera since 2013, and as of today, I'm bidding farewell to my Founder account with everything I've won in the game. And I leave my enormous frustration and discontent to this "company" that only disrespect the players and shamelessly only thought of money and more money. Go to hell, because I'm going to have a lot of fun in EU Tera, with Gameforge that yes, it really is a real company.
This discussion has been closed.