Refund Question

Okay first off please don't ban me, I'm just asking a question. If its not allowed, just close the thread.

I heard that people leaving could get somewhat of a refund.
"Payments made to EME in the last 6 months can be charged back by contacting PayPal or your bank."

Purely just out of curiosity, does anyone know the legal details and legitimacy of this? Cause it seems pretty weak since in the end all they did was used legal means to stop 3rd party programs interfering with their game.

Comments

• Technically they abused the DMCA to takedown work that was not, in any way, infringing on any EME or BHS copyrights. Just because they aren't being fought on the takedown doesn't mean it was "legal". Abuse/misuse of the DMCA as a censor is sadly very common. The DMCA is not a tool to be used in the manner that it was.

That being said, the refunds like that are indeed childish. I don't know about the legitimacy of it, but it's also PayPal so who knows if they'll do it.
  • If I could get some sort of refund, I would like to have my 5 years of play contribution back.
  • Furhyan wrote: »
    If I could get some sort of refund, I would like to have my 5 years of play contribution back.

same
  • Chargebacks arent anything new

If you're playing an MMO but decide that you can't stand it and everything it stands for, you can simply do a chargeback, which will refund all the money you spent on the game up until about 6 months back.
    You will not face any legal consequences for this. It's a very common tactic players choose once they know for sure they're done with a title.

However and naturally, players that do this are automatically permanently banned and sometimes even IP blocked from ever playing that game with that company ever again. This is why only those who are sure they'll never want to play again do it. There are some exceptions though. I have a friend who chargedbacked and quit a game and then returned a year later making a new account with no trouble. It definitely depends on the company and their stance on it though.
  • HuvHuv ✭✭✭
    just do it :)
  • All that food you ate while playing will be refunded once you poop it out and give it back to the store.
  • Equitas wrote: »
    A chargeback, in this situation, would be neither legal nor legitimate. People have received the goods and services they have paid for. They don't get to take that money back just because they don't like EME attempting to take down cheat tools and the infrastructure that supports them.

Open your eyes already, this forum was full of game related issues for months now.

If you want to do chargeback go for it, they will most likely ban your account for it but if you wont play here that shouldn't matter.
  • ArydAryd ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Equitas wrote: »
    A chargeback, in this situation, would be neither legal nor legitimate. People have received the goods and services they have paid for. They don't get to take that money back just because they don't like EME attempting to take down cheat tools and the infrastructure that supports them.

Actually, it is very much legal, in all states and provinces in North America. Similarly, Amazon, E-Bay and other various institutions have had many chargebacks all of which a buyer received goods and/or services. However, it has been ruled in court that if someone is dissatisfied with said goods and/or services, that they may seek reimbursement, even in the form of chargebacks. Now, to directly apply to gaming companies, such as EME, those goods and services are not actually provided to you as a buyer. In their own ToS and EULA, they state, in no uncertain terms, that you do not own anything on your account and it can be taken from you at any time for any reason. Meaning what you are paying for is access to content, which is considered a service, and like I said before, if you are dissatisfied with a service you can legally seek reimbursement.

Though I wouldn't encourage people to do so, as stated in this thread, you only get to do it once. EME (as a blanket company) has the right then to IP ban you, meaning if they somewhere down the line, publish a game you actually want to play, you will still remain IP banned and be unable to do so.

EDIT: Didn't see the last sentence, weird. I apologize but to comment to that;

EME abused a DMCA to remove a discord, and I think some GitHub repositories, if my information is correct. The key word in that sentence is abused. I'm all for getting cheats out of any game, but in similar posts on these forums, people have explained the reasons why these things exist. You call it a cheat, somebody else would call it a mod. Someone else might call it normal. Defining the issue that a "cheat", "mod", or "normal" circumstance solves and/or creates is the key to resolving it.

To clarify a bit; If playing the game with proxy allows player A to have the exact same experience as player B who doesn't play with proxy, where is the harm of proxy? Especially considering that without proxy, the reaction time of player B falls well below that of player A. This is fundimentally flawed when discussing an Action-Combat video game. Look at FPS's (First Person Shooters, not Frames Per Second) which are technically considered action-combat, everything is server side, but without stable servers, games die off. Yes, people make aimbots and hacks, and I legitimately believe they should be removed, but the issue that we're discussing, isn't "cheating to be better" it's "'cheating' to be on the same advantage as someone who lives closer to a server bank".
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Aryd wrote: »

Actually, it is very much legal, in all states and provinces in North America. Similarly, Amazon, E-Bay and other various institutions have had many chargebacks all of which a buyer received goods and/or services. However, it has been ruled in court that if someone is dissatisfied with said goods and/or services, that they may seek reimbursement, even in the form of chargebacks. Now, to directly apply to gaming companies, such as EME, those goods and services are not actually provided to you as a buyer. In their own ToS and EULA, they state, in no uncertain terms, that you do not own anything on your account and it can be taken from you at any time for any reason. Meaning what you are paying for is access to content, which is considered a service, and like I said before, if you are dissatisfied with a service you can legally seek reimbursement.

Though I wouldn't encourage people to do so, as stated in this thread, you only get to do it once. EME (as a blanket company) has the right then to IP ban you, meaning if they somewhere down the line, publish a game you actually want to play, you will still remain IP banned and be unable to do so.

It is sad Bern is not refunding people for what they bought from him :D

But those who used PayPal can get back a little.

If I would be those people who bought scrips from him I would be asking PayPal to get their money back and let Bern handle the issue with PayPal.
  • ThePieBoyThePieBoy ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Aryd wrote: »

There are ways around an ip ban. So that isn't an issue in and of itself. The main issue is if by some miracle they fix all the issues plaguing Tera and manage to bring back a thriving community u would have to start from scratch.

However that itself is a very unlikely possibility.
  • If paid with credit cards, most will do a refund. Chargebacks are for protecting consumers from companies. You don’t own anything as stated in the TOS but you will defined get banned.
  • I'll be asking for refunds too after all this shitstorm. I spent a good amount of money in the last month and half and since the game is officially dead I'll like my money back. I don't give a single [filtered] if I get banned for it. And if you feel like me, just go for it, you have all the right to ask for refunds. EME doesn't deserve a single more penny after the mess they made for themselves.
  • metagamemetagame ✭✭✭✭
    zenpiax wrote: »
    and since the game is officially dead I'll like my money back
    where have i heard this before...