[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

The Current State of Tera

For those of you that don't know, DMCA stands for Digital Millennium Copyright Act

The link to the public DMCA request can be found here:
https://github.com/github/dmca/blob/master/2018/2018-09-28-TeraPC.md

C in DMCA stands for ironic:
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-04-17-tera-developers-guilty-of-stealing-lineage-iii-assets

A familiar conversation last year:
EME: In this specific case [April 26th, 2017 ban] we only banned players we knew to be using software that exploited the game and had a negative impact on other players. While many third-party programs are seemingly innocuous, they can still have a detrimental effect on the player community. We maintain the stance that use of these programs is still a violation of the TERA Terms of Use, and we reserve the right to take action if we feel they are having a negative effect on the game experience for our players.
MMOBomb: Do you have plans to implement any of the functionality in the official game that players were using the third-party programs for? If not, could there be a way to have “approved” apps created by third parties that wouldn’t result in a ban?
EME: We are constantly listening to player feedback in order to find ways to improve TERA. We do recognize that some of these programs are designed as workarounds for quality of life improvements to the game. Unfortunately, even seemingly innocuous third party programs can open the game up to exploits and have negative effect on our community. We maintain the stance that the use of such programs is a violation of the TERA Terms of Use and we reserve the right to take action if we feel they are having a negative effect on the game experience for our players.

Denommenator’s recent official post states:
“We love you TERA players and we understand that you’re upset about this. We will investigate solutions that provide some of the benefits that these 3rd Party Services offered in a form that doesn’t violate our terms of service.”

To be honest, I think EME has been planning on this for a while:
Proxy has had mods that auto pop consumables for you when your hp/mp drop to a certain threshold.
Proxy also has mods to keep you within slaying range.
The release of both "On Fire Effect first release: August 17" and "Potion Pets: August 23" kind of raised my eyebrows, and I feel like maybe EME is genuinely trying to do something- that being said, I personally feel like its kind of late and it isn't enough.
However the biggest thing that leads me to believe that this was kind of in the making is this little number:
bswmmck.png

Pretty good timing overall on the DMCA request:
Server merge was September 17-18. From a business standpoint and being dead set on these bans, EME had enough common sense to merge the servers before they gave the official DMCA request rather than later. Imagine if they released a DMCA request and then told everyone they were going to merge servers. People would just think the game is dying. They also made it public on a Friday, which bought them an extra couple of days to rethink anything. If one was dedicated enough to their job, they could hop on the forums at their house look at a few comments and think of ways to counter it over the weekend. On top of this, they publicized the request 2 weeks away from Awakening Part 2, knowing that that would bring in people.

The biggest complaints so far:
Lack of transparency and out of touch with your player-base. As @Meningitis has wrote (several times on the DMCA post), you are completely out of touch with the people who play your game. When people bring up very real issues and threads such as the golden/silver talent issues, your community manager - who should know more about the game than most of your staff - gives a no-effort response that is completely wrong. The in game golden/silver talent economy before the DMCA post was absolutely trash and there has been no viable fix to it since the p2w strongbox jackpot event that happened at the beginning of the gear overhaul patch.
Server lag. This was the initial reason why people started using proxy. As a community, we've given you feedback for over a year now and you as a company and a publisher have proven you cannot fix it or make daddy BHS understand that it is a very real problem that affects your player-base. Your stance is gutting a lot of foreign players from your game.
Xigncode. This was the biggest push I've ever seen from EME to make a community use a third party program. It was utterly pointless. It didn't stop anyone from using anything and just slows down an already less than perfect game.
Not stopping actual cheaters. While by EME's definition in the ToS any third party program is a "cheat", the third party developers actually had pretty decent self-policing. On top of this, when people were stealing people's information, the devs of the third party programs offered more protection to their "player-base" than EME did theirs. EME could have just taken all the servers offline to keep everyone safe but they didn't and put everyone that didn't use some third party program at risk of having their information stolen.
DPS meter stance change. DPS meters were more of a tool than anything and EME even said it was okay as long as we weren't being jackoffs with it so not sure why the sudden stance flip. As someone who writes a guide for the game and mentors fellow valkyries, the dps meter really helps me personally.
EME's Stance on DPS Meters:
o0UTkaU.png
M14IV78.png

All in all, I think this was a mistake, but I don't work at EME or have any connections to daddy BHS. Its not like you could just pull off the DMCA request now anyways since that would be illegal and admitting you submitted a false request. I do look forward to awakening as I play valkyrie and they're getting awakened and I hope that whatever you guys are planning to offer to give us the "benefits of using third party programs" is worth it enough to renew my elite subscription.

Comments

• The real problem here is that EME is a subsidiary from BHS. BHS Executes effectively own EME and there's no real way of knowing the internal politics.

As far as we know there's two possibilities:

EME has some degree of autonomy and is clearly incompetent or

Some Korean guys, those eastern companies usually have extremely archaic mindsets, completely out of touch with modern times as shown many times by even Nintendo, for example, are calling the shots and there's nothing much Western EME employees can do.

Without knowing their internal structure and how much influence the Korean side of EME has, it's hard to say whose's fault it is.
  • The real problem here is that EME is a subsidiary from BHS. BHS Executes effectively own EME and there's no real way of knowing the internal politics.

As far as we know there's two possibilities:

EME has some degree of autonomy and is clearly incompetent or

Some Korean guys, those eastern companies usually have extremely archaic mindsets, completely out of touch with modern times as shown many times by even Nintendo, for example, are calling the shots and there's nothing much Western EME employees can do.

Without knowing their internal structure and how much influence the Korean side of EME has, it's hard to say whose's fault it is.

A bit of both, most likely. I'm sure the core staff who we used to praise (the ones who cared about the community) got tired of being put in the middle and jumped ship. So who remains? The types of people who don't care. The types of people to whom EME is just a job. The types who don't even have the game installed.

So yeah, stubborn BHS driving away good employees creates this kind of situation.
  • Prime example of EME not taking our concerns seriously. We asked what were they going to do about the golden/silver talent issue. They wrote us off and told us wrong information. Many forum posts and comments later still asking about what they are going to do and if they are even taking us seriously. Then they insult us with this.

y271ziv.png
  • DigivolveDigivolve ✭✭✭✭
    What a deal, ~20 plates in 2 weeks!
  • zenpiaxzenpiax ✭✭✭
    Prime example of EME not taking our concerns seriously. We asked what were they going to do about the golden/silver talent issue. They wrote us off and told us wrong information. Many forum posts and comments later still asking about what they are going to do and if they are even taking us seriously. Then they insult us with this.

y271ziv.png

Man I hope this is not EME way of damage control, because those rewards are absolute garbage. Good luck trying to bait people into login back to that lagfest, poorly optimize piece of crap. Instead of answering at the very least one post of the hundreds of comment in the forums. But EME has been on top of their game deleting/ banning and closing thread, communication with the community? big middle finger. They decide that is better instead to put this login event that has zero value. EME is trying so hard to get the players on their side again after all this shitstorm and if they think a 4 gold/ silver talent will make that happen, they must but smoking something really good at EME offices. There's really no hope, all of EME decisions going forward are going to be just to save face and to misinformed/ mislead the community with responses like "we'll work on it" or "everything is fine". Have fun with your dying game EME, you can try as hard as you can to save it. But just remember you did all this.
  • You don't under estimate what 4 gold/silver talents can do like eme. You might get surprised. :^)
  • zenpiaxzenpiax ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    More damage control EME?
    221fd1f4208db86229cd8649294c0bbb.png

The drop quantity of those silver/ gold talents in HH must be as insignificant as the ones offered in the daily log in reward event. What a massive joke!
  • zenpiax wrote: »
    More damage control EME?
    221fd1f4208db86229cd8649294c0bbb.png

The drop quantity of those silver/ gold talents in HH must be as insignificant as the ones offered in the daily log in reward event. What a massive joke!

rolf
    i like that joke
    I want to see if eme's hh joke is really funny(deep inside i want the loots to be good that it may somehow help with talent crisis)(please baby don't hurt me anymore). If my raid can even find enough people to do hh. The community has very low morale right now.
  • HH with party of 5 ... SOON !!!
  • Lol those "solutions" are spits on the face.
  • RyusamaRyusama ✭✭✭
    Good structured and informative thread, OP.

Now, back to the topic I kinda find really weird they just wont make a proper Golden Talent/Silver Talent event. I mean, the quickest way to solve the issue is making those strongbox jackpot, at the cost of it being p2w. Or increase the amount of GT/ST from 412 instances so you'd be able to farm 20 GT/ST per run.

That's literally all you need to fix the GS/ST issue and move onto other things.
  • ElinUsagiElinUsagi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Ryusama wrote: »
    Good structured and informative thread, OP.

Now, back to the topic I kinda find really weird they just wont make a proper Golden Talent/Silver Talent event. I mean, the quickest way to solve the issue is making those strongbox jackpot, at the cost of it being p2w. Or increase the amount of GT/ST from 412 instances so you'd be able to farm 20 GT/ST per run.

That's literally all you need to fix the GS/ST issue and move onto other things.

If is about the golden and silver talent issue, I have always said that those should be added to every dungeon, the same way SSN and SSH have them.
  • zenpiax wrote: »
    • Man I hope this is not EME way of damage control, because those rewards are absolute garbage.
    • Good luck trying to bait people into login back to that lagfest
    • poorly optimize piece of crap.
    • EME has been on top of their game deleting/ banning and closing thread
    • communication with the community? big middle finger.
    • misinformed/ mislead the community with responses like "we'll work on it" or "everything is fine".
    • Have fun with your dying game EME
    Lot of pent up thoughts about EME there champ. Should probably quit the game. (but you won't like everyone else)