Ok, real talk EME.

It's actually ridiculous to make every single dyeable costume obtainable through CHANCE loot boxes. You can literally spend hundreds of dollars on this game and walk away with nothing. Can we please come up with some other way to get dyeable costumes? I get that y'all want more money, however, I'm pretty sure people would be more likely to spend money on the actual dyeable costume than chance loot boxes.

Lets take the new loot box for example... 20$ per box for a single chance to get the new dyeable costume... really?...

Comments

• LancerJivaLancerJiva ✭✭✭✭✭
    WTB direct buy on the dyeable pixie costume
  • edited October 2018
    I personally agree with you, and have made this same complaint for years (failure cap + posted odds, at least...). But they did try what you're asking earlier this year and released a number of dyeable costumes as direct-buy for a premium price (taken out of lootboxes). And even though people would likely have spent much more than that price if it had been in a lootbox, the number one complaint was direct buy prices were too expensive (due to "sticker shock"). So it looks like they've moved back to putting things in lootboxes again -- although this current one is an unusual new style (due to combining keys + random costume, instead of other consumables).

Honestly, although this is sad/depressing, I suspect that people say they'll spend more for direct buy, but actually do spend more on lootboxes, purely due to letting themselves be tricked by the lower upfront price and the "chance" to win. It wouldn't be so popular if it didn't work.
  • iCandyKillziCandyKillz ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    LancerJiva wrote: »
    And even though people would likely have spent much more than that price if it had been in a lootbox, the number one complaint was direct buy prices were too expensive (due to "sticker shock").

I'd much rather spend 80$ buying the actual costume than 80$ at 4 chances for the costume and walking away with same trash non-dyeable costume 4 times over.
  • edited October 2018
    And even though people would likely have spent much more than that price if it had been in a lootbox, the number one complaint was direct buy prices were too expensive (due to "sticker shock").

I'd much rather spend 80$ buying the actual costume than 80$ at 4 chances for the costume and walking away with same trash non-dyeable costume 4 times over.

People were complaining that they were way too expensive at 4495 EMP (About $41 USD due to the buy bonus). But yeah, purely objectively speaking if you just want the costume, what you're saying would be the more logical view...
  • People were complaining that they were way too expensive at 4495 EMP (About $41 USD due to the buy bonus). But yeah, purely objectively speaking if you just want the costume, what you're saying would be the more logical view...

41$ are you actually kidding me.. PEOPLE WERE COMPLAINING ABOUT THAT???? REALLY. Jesus... People really do need a reason to complain. There's been plenty of times where I've dropped 100$ on loot boxes and walked away with 0 dyeable costumes and 0 accessories. I wish the 41$ costume buy was an option then. Holy.
  • People were complaining that they were way too expensive at 4495 EMP (About $41 USD due to the buy bonus). But yeah, purely objectively speaking if you just want the costume, what you're saying would be the more logical view...

41$ are you actually kidding me.. PEOPLE WERE COMPLAINING ABOUT THAT???? REALLY. Jesus... People really do need a reason to complain. There's been plenty of times where I've dropped 100$ on loot boxes and walked away with 0 dyeable costumes and 0 accessories. I wish the 41$ costume buy was an option then. Holy.

Yep... I agree with you, and most people who have done the "lootbox chase" with real cash in this game (and thus been burned) would most likely feel the same way. But somehow...
  • rng is rng, I know people who have spent much more and got nothing, vice versa...
    edited October 2018
    To be quite honest, I don't know why I even made this post. It's unlikely EME will respond or say anything, seeing as they didn't even respond to my suggestions post that had nothing to do with the Proxy scandal that recently happened. Do believe I'll just stick to not spending money on the game anymore. Sad that it's come to this though, as I've avidly spent money on this game for years. Oh well, things happen I suppose.
  • people keep buying them and that's why it's not gonna change. I used to be a huge costume fanatic and have spent thousands on them over the years, but no longer. The prices have increased, the quality has decreased (unless it's for an elin), and the rng has gotten notably worse.
  • LancerJiva wrote: »

People were complaining that they were way too expensive at 4495 EMP (About $41 USD due to the buy bonus). But yeah, purely objectively speaking if you just want the costume, what you're saying would be the more logical view...

I was one of those people complaining about how much they cost. 41 dollars for 1 dress that you will never own, only renting, when I could buy 2 dresses for myself in real life. I feel like they could have been lower in price, dyable or not. 41 dollars for account bound outfits, I can see paying.
  • edited October 2018

I was one of those people complaining about how much they cost. 41 dollars for 1 dress that you will never own, only renting, when I could buy 2 dresses for myself in real life. I feel like they could have been lower in price, dyable or not. 41 dollars for account bound outfits, I can see paying.

It's not that $41 is a good price for an in-game item (obviously it's too expensive), but it is when you compare it to lootboxes where the average spend to actually get the prize is $50-60+ (if not way more, since there's no cap), so it's worth the trade off in comparison. But the typical 150/195/250/295 EMP lootboxes mask that so people don't think about the total cost when the roll $2/3 at a time, so people probably actually spend more.

Now, this new lootbox this time... honestly, rather than being like Kyra's (as some suggested), it's actually a bit more like golden gift boxes (except without gifting but add the 20 keys). But the net effect is that, for people who just want the new costume, it's much, much more expensive to get and no cap. Basically the only feasible way is trade, but that depends on if a critical mass actually buy it, which seems doubtful to me... Probably the only sensible way to think about it is for people who were going to buy keys anyway and this way they get costumes out of it... but not sure if it'll work.
  • I just feel like eme has been charging too much for everything the past couple of years. I do like the idea of being able to buy something outright instead of lootboxes, but they need to lower their prices some.
    edited October 2018
    If it's expensive to just *rent* the costume, that'd ridiculous I can see why people would complain. However, if we get to actually buy them for that price and keep them permanently I don't see a reason to complain about 41$. Pretty sure dyeable costumes on EU run about the same amount.

It's also pretty ridiculous that the new costume is currently 3+ million in gold.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's expensive to just *rent* the costume, that'd ridiculous I can see why people would complain. However, if we get to actually buy them for that price and keep them permanently I don't see a reason to complain about 41$. Pretty sure dyeable costumes on EU run about the same amount.

It's also pretty ridiculous that the new costume is currently 3+ million in gold.

What I believe the other poster meant when he/she said "rent" is that it's a digital item that dies when the game dies, thus "rented" in a sense. And seeing how tera is doing, I doubt this game will last as long as something like WoW for example. but yeah. That's the value of money for some. Yesterday I was reading about people paying from 50$ to 75$ just to ride a super car on a track. The price was per lap as well. So yeah. And I've known of people paying ridiculous amounts of money for ridiculous things I dare not mention here, so yeah, more about how different people value their money.

On the current topic? I would have liked if these outfits came in both ways. A chance way for the daring, and a direct buy for those not wanting to deal with the stuff. Right now, the dyeable wraps costume is up for grabs as a direct buy. If they placed at least one costume or two in this way, while still keeping their chance boxes around, I feel this would strike some sort of balance. But ultimately, revenue vs upkeep numbers is what has the final word.
  • edited October 2018

I think they just mean "rent" in the sense that it's only a video game and some day they'll close the servers (or some people could get banned), so in that sense it's a "rental" even though it's permanent for as long as the game is running.

Of course, that price follows the number one rule of costume trading: never buy on day one -- but yeah, the price for this one will be ridiculous regardless. It's time-limited and in a super-expensive lootbox, so I imagine it'll end up like the rare idol outfit from last year.