[TERA Console] We will enter maintenance on 05/26 (Tue) at 7:00 p.m. PT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance
[TERA PC] We confirmed that an issue with Civil Unrest persists, so Civil Unrest will remain disabled until further notice. Thank you for understanding.

How grindy is the game still?

Back in like 2016 my entire guild quit because the game became a disgusting grindfest and you needed to run dungeons over 100 times to get even close to what you needed to craft the max tier gear of the patch. Or max out battleground credits every week for like 2 months straight. Is it still like that or did they calm it? Because that's why all the veteran players jumped ship but I miss the PVP so I'm curious.

Comments

• Have you ever played black desert online?

The game now has a very similar grind to BDO (because it is korean and kdevelopers tend towards a never ending grind) but without the possibility of your gear being downgraded if you fail.

Other words, yes, the grind is still there if changed a little. But the bright side is, the game gives you more entertaining ways to grind since you last quit. You can grind simon says with tuwangi now.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    is that why all the veteran players jumped ship ? coz in threads over the last few weeks ppl been saying they jumped because the proxy saga
    oh and on a side note apparently PVP is and has been dead for ages
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well nowadays, you don't grind dungeons for gear crafting materials. You grind them for gear enchanting materials. In other words, those BiS crafting mats got replaced by a tool you use to upgrade your weapon. You'll get 1~2 per run if you're lucky enough during the rolling, you'll need 4 for a single attempt, and the upgrade chance increases a little bit with each failure starting at something like sub-20%. This is at the highest level of gear, mind you. The success rate is a bit higher in lower tiers, but the principle is still the same. You grind dungeons for the enchanting materials, and you don't actually make weapons anymore in the sense that you're probably used to. You simply upgrade to +9 and then convert it to the next tier. Every time you fail to enchant, your success chance increases by a few percentage points. So there is a fail cap. But if you ever reach it, you will probably want to die, because it would require many, many failures.

You asked about grind. It's there. It starts out manageable but when you enter stormcry (2nd best in slot) and try to push it into heroic oath (BiS), you'll feel it and you'll probably get extremely frustrated since it's honestly worse than the old VM days. Imagine enchanting awakening gear and still needing hundreds of high tier feedstock, except now feedstock only drops from a handful of the easiest dungeons in the game, and you'll get like ... 3 from a dungeon, and they're all 2 tiers lower than what you need so you'll also have to convert them and lose 75% of the bunch. That's what it's like! Except replace "feedstock" with "talents" and the conversion process is now called "turning talents into darics and turning darics into plates." You will also need to craft to do this, so I hope you have a master weaponcrafter lying around, otherwise you can have fun buying those plates on the broker for ridiculous prices due to the shortage. There is a talent bottleneck right now, and anyone who tries to enchant at endgame hits the wall. The NA team has tried to fix it by introducing battleground events and a talent lootbox to the cash shop. Take that as you will.

TL;DR the new system is better on paper but due to poor resource allocation it really hits the wall the deeper you go into it, and I'd honestly say I preferred the old system, if only because we were given enough resources to where it didn't feel *quite* this bad, even if the old system was still pretty terrible. The only saving grace in the current setup is the introduction of a failcap. That's it.

As for pvp, it's there. The rewards were pretty good last I checked; you got a box with talents in it, so that was nice. I heard they nerfed it though. Maybe someone else can expand on that. Bye!

• DvsvDvsv ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    The game now is way more grindy than back in 2016 when you could even gear alts in SF+15 cuz mongos/lots of good events + way more simplified and cheaper gearing system.
    Now you need to put lot of months of hard work just to get to the iLVL that the dev ask for the hardest content (455 now and 456 soon).
    In VM days, a fkn mid-tier set (dreadnaught..) + skill was all that was needed to clear every dungeon in the game and you could farm that gear in one week or less, heck even the best VM gear was farmable in like 3 months for an experienced player..

Imho after HO update the developer is cleary lost with this new gearing system, they still want to trash gear every 6 months increasing iLVL/releasing new crap but with an insanely more expensive and time intensive system now.
    And plz don't even bother gearing alts cuz nowadays even the "new" mid-tier gear (SC) got BIS cost and sucess rate.

BHS overthinks way too much, just a failcap/enchantment % correction on the old +15 system would make it WAY better than everything they did with this new trap gearing system.

• Honestly people like being drama queens, but the game itself is in a better state than ever before on every other region. NA specifically isn't in a great place right now, but even here it's easier to get geared for top tier dungeons than it was in past patches, assuming you're f2p and don't mind running dungeons.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly people like being drama queens, but the game itself is in a better state than ever before on every other region. NA specifically isn't in a great place right now, but even here it's easier to get geared for top tier dungeons than it was in past patches, assuming you're f2p and don't mind running dungeons.

While I'm neutral on all of this, I think you could elaborate to explain it to the other posters on how it's easier now than when +15 and VM were a thing.
  • If you pay is easy, if you don’t pay will be a nightmare. This time exist a vile thing Called item xp. You need centuries to reach a chance of upgrading 9000% harder and bored Since gear progression attack.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gatokatzen wrote: »
    If you pay is easy, if you don’t pay will be a nightmare. This time exist a vile thing Called item xp. You need centuries to reach a chance of upgrading 9000% harder and bored Since gear progression attack.

I've wasted a lot of cash in these games, yet I never got the hang of the p2w formula. Perhaps it's because I waste everything on cosmetics (true end game) and none on getting more powerful. As far as I understand, being a whale on this game means that you buy out the cash shop, sell it at the broker, and buy either mats or completed gear at the same broker you sold the whole cash shop to. Is that what you mean by p2w? I mean, this has been like this since Tera f2p model became a thing.
  • the word p2w is simply joke...yeah maybe u can buy +9 but guess what u cant buy the skills needed for that class to perform at a high level... and when it comes to the grindiness of the game I would say its not even as grindy as other MMOs..but when you are at HO maybe 1-2 enchanting tries per week depends on what dungeons u run and how u make the most out of ur time...gear less than that like SC its okay cant speak for non elite people coz i have been elite since i started and x2 runs +reset scroll just helps progressing fast.
  • Nopi wrote: »
    If you pay is easy, if you don’t pay will be a nightmare. This time exist a vile thing Called item xp. You need centuries to reach a chance of upgrading 9000% harder and bored Since gear progression attack.

I've wasted a lot of cash in these games, yet I never got the hang of the p2w formula. Perhaps it's because I waste everything on cosmetics (true end game) and none on getting more powerful. As far as I understand, being a whale on this game means that you buy out the cash shop, sell it at the broker, and buy either mats or completed gear at the same broker you sold the whole cash shop to. Is that what you mean by p2w? I mean, this has been like this since Tera f2p model became a thing.

Nope I were talking about pay to progress . The new pay mode that started with gear progression patch.

Older system people buy things sell and buy actual gear for gold.
    But the guy of the post were talking about progression. And is true that progression is more pay than f2p actually. On the other hand you may need to waste 24/7 no job or work to progress via playing. No way you get maximum gear just playing. If start with 0 golden talents. Unless 5 persons share the account to play 24/7

• Gatokatzen wrote: »
    Nopi wrote: »

Nope I were talking about pay to progress . The new pay mode that started with gear progression patch.

But the guy of the post were talking about progression. And is true that progression is more pay than f2p actually. On the other hand you may need to waste 24/7 no job or work to progress via playing. No way you get maximum gear just playing. If start with 0 golden talents. Unless 5 persons share the account to play 24/7

this one is definitely exaggeration..i know alot of people who didnt drop a single penny to reach max gear and there might be even more out there that i do not know...sure if ur mindset is "ohh max gear I want it in my hand in after a few days" then ull probably gonna get tired before u get that gear coz ull realize ull not have it in a couple of days.. this is a game so care less about ur current gear and enjoy the process while progressing.. and one more thing stop erping in highwatch so ull definitely see progress..
  • TeraNuibe wrote: »
    Nopi wrote: »

this one is definitely exaggeration..i know alot of people who didnt drop a single penny to reach max gear and there might be even more out there that i do not know...sure if ur mindset is "ohh max gear I want it in my hand in after a few days" then ull probably gonna get tired before u get that gear coz ull realize ull not have it in a couple of days.. this is a game so care less about ur current gear and enjoy the process while progressing.. and one more thing stop erping in highwatch so ull definitely see progress..

Sure in the past game were as you said , you enjoy the game while progress. This time is different, people suffer playing to progress. The amount of progress time is higher than before. Making that enjoy the game non existant anymore
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    Short answer: It's a monotonous and mind-numbing grind if you're not willing to shell out money to EME.

In a bit more detail:

Tera NA has basically devolved into the same kind of cut-and-paste mobile game model of, "Be fun to get you interested, then drastically ramp up the grind to the point it's a PITA to do anything past a certain point - while at the same time the game's publisher keeps offering you ways to swipe your way past the difficult parts." - Except in Tera now, once you hit that, "swipe to get past the hard part" wall, it just stays at that difficulty to keep encouraging you to swipe.

So yeah... Tera NA is a grindy mobile game that's terribly optimized for PC.
  • PwhoopsPwhoops ✭✭✭
    Honestly people like being drama queens, but the game itself is in a better state than ever before on every other region. NA specifically isn't in a great place right now, but even here it's easier to get geared for top tier dungeons than it was in past patches, assuming you're f2p and don't mind running dungeons.

I don't know about you, but back then you could literally skip midtier gear and go directly into BiS (as long as you were able to run the dungeons). Now you have to grind your way through all the gear sets if you want BiS. In other words, gearing your main to BiS is hard, imagine gearing your alts.
    No thanks.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭

The way a full f2p used to do it to get BiS was to play the broker. Back then, high tier dungeons dropped materials that could be sold for nice prices. The gold obtained from those by f2p players was used back into the broker to buy off things from whales, like costumes and premium membership vouchers, or even more materials to finish up the current character or to help an alt. So no only f2ps could farm materials, they could also produce them for others.

I suppose the balance was tipped (or even flat tripped) in these last few versions of the game. But that is generally how an f2p should still try to play. Sure, it will most likely be slower now, but if it's slower for them, it will also be slower for whales to get their stuff and see the economy flowing. If it becomes too slow, EME must eventually do something to re-accelerate it.
    Pwhoops wrote: »
    I don't know about you, but back then you could literally skip midtier gear and go directly into BiS (as long as you were able to run the dungeons). Now you have to grind your way through all the gear sets if you want BiS. In other words, gearing your main to BiS is hard, imagine gearing your alts.
    No thanks.

While it may be ridiculously slow to get BiS right now and we all agree it needs a fair boost to make it less vexing, skipping to it should have never been the intended or a possible way to progression in any game. What I feel we need here is a smooth curve that while still slowing at the higher tiers, does still make the player feel like hes advancing through it.