My Interview with En Masse Entertainment: The Future of TERA Console

Comments

• WILDLY liberal interpretation of my voice. I do NOT actually speak in this video.
  • > @Halrath said:
    > WILDLY liberal interpretation of my voice. I do NOT actually speak in this video.

😂 This is true. He's got quite the sultry voice, it's rather beautiful.
  • > @TheSarumonin said:
    > > @Halrath said:
    > > WILDLY liberal interpretation of my voice. I do NOT actually speak in this video.
    >
    > 😂 This is true. He's got quite the sultry voice, it's rather beautiful.
    >

wait a second, the one in the video isn't his true voice? i'm disappointed. lmao

nice interview thank you saru, and thank you Halrath for taking the time to answer these questions, i'm excited for the future of this game on console after this interview.
  • edited October 30
    There were a few things in this interview that were key to me, as a player. Some of the future things you were talking about, I don't even know what they are, because I never played PC. I just started playing Tera about 4 or 5 months ago, when it came out on Xbox. I had never heard of it, before then.

Enchantment advantage for higher level gear - I would LOVE to see it possible to become a little easier to enchant Ambush armor. Being a solo player, I am not even allowed to enter the 355 dungeons (I have posted a thread about wanting the barriers unlocked on those, so smaller groups or solo players can enter), and I cannot solo 410s or 417s (even though I plan to try again, once my Ambush is all +15). Having never done a 355, 410, or 417 dungeon, I used the pay to win route, to get my ambush armor and enchanting materials. I FINALLY have the weapon, chest, and gloves up to #15. I finally have the feet enchanted up to +14, but I just now did another attempt at +15, with nearly 30 attempts in a row, but it was still all fails, after several previous attempts to get them to +15. Every piece of Ambush gear has been the same way, for each attempt to enchant them up one level. Having to do it the pay to win route is extremely expensive, and I am sure the people who play in groups or guilds probably have to do MONTHS worth of grinding, just to enchant some of those pieces up a little bit. I already know that once I finally get the feet up to +15, I will never bother with Ambush armor again, for any of my other characters. It is just too expensive and annoying. A better advantage for enchanting the higher level gear would definitely encourage more people to get more sets.

More dungeons/content - I am looking forward to more dungeons and content. At least I think I am. I hope Tera plans to include more content (especially dungeons) that can be done by solo players. I have a feeling if the Tera team were to pull numbers for people who make it to level 65, but never complete a 410 or 417 dungeon, you might be surprised at how many solo players actually play this game, as we do many MMOs. Some of the people leaving after reaching level 65 are probably solo players. Once we reach level 65, there is really nothing left of the game, for us. Personally, I still enjoy the gathering and crafting skills (GREAT JOB on those, by the way). However, a lot of solo players definitely need more than just gathering and crafting. More content (at least dungeons, if nothing else) that can be soloed would be a great boost to the game. Of course, the same also applies to small groups, husband and wife teams who only like playing with each other, etc. I was watching a YouTube video recently, where they were talking about all of the solo players in MMOs, and the game developer giving the speech to an audience of other game developers mentioned some big MMO (I can't remember which one) where they ran statistics of the players on their servers, and discovered that at least 20% of their players were solo players. I have to get ready for work soon, but this evening I will try to find that video again. It would be a simple matter for Tera to do a quick analysis of their own servers, to see how many they may have, right now.

Soulbound equipment - I know several of us have posted about AT LEAST having items "account bound", as opposed to soul bound. That would at least be a much better option. Being able to UN-bind bound items when we can no longer use them would be even better, but account binding would definitely be a huge improvement, over the current soul binding.

Rework the Masterwork Alkahest box - Some of us have posted before, about having better drop items for some of the random boxes. Personally, my biggest issue is with the "Locked" boxes. If I have to pay for a key to open it, then I would like to receive something of value for the price of the key, every time I open a box, even if it is not the item I was hoping for. Tera had recently announced the upgrades to the locked boxes for PC, and I would definitely like to get some of the drops like they get now, in their boxes. I haven't even bothered to buy a strongbox key for a few months, because they are just not worth it.

Of course, like most people, I mainly post about in-game items when I am looking for a change, for something I think could be done better. It is only because I actually love Tera "overall", but there are things that could make it a lot better for a lot of players. I still love the gathering and crafting, all of the story leveling, including the leveling dungeons (I was able to solo all of those, with all of my characters), the beautiful scenery throughout the world, and plenty of other game elements. I am even happy with the enchanting of items up to +9, where we get a few fails, but sometimes get lucky enough to have more successes than fails. With all of the years that I have been playing video games, I think this is only the third game that I cared enough about to actually find their online forum and participate in forum discussions. As a solo player, I typically just immerse myself in a game, and have fun with it, but don't bother participating in the online community aspects of it, just like many other solo players. However, I love this game enough to put in my two cents worth, for things that I think could improve the game, but are still reasonable for the business end of Tera.
  • I am not sure crafting is all that great now, but I am just sticking my toe in it in many ways.

I am also a solo player most of the time.
  • Even in +15 ambush you wont be soloing 417-422 dungeons. Theyre specifically built for parties and are designed to reset or 1 shot you if too many people are missing.
  • edited October 29
    @Halrath - This is a link to the youtube video I mentioned in my earlier post above. I had to get ready for work at the time, so I had to wait until I got home to go find it again. There are a lot more solo players in MMOs than many people seem to realize. This game developer discusses them, and how they represent a 20% or higher population in some MMOs where they have actually pulled statistics from their servers, to see how many players they have vs. how many actually participate regularly in group activities, dungeons, etc. I am recommending that Tera add some more solo player content/dungeons for level 65 players, because there is nothing left for many solo players, once they get to level 65 in Tera. I am sure this accounts for at least "some" of the player churn, where you lose players who reach level 65. I know it is probably Bluehole who would have to provide the content/dungeons, but hopefully someone will talk to them. When I post recommendations for Tera, I just mean whichever company does what, but I figure if the company that does not do certain things sees it, then they can pass the message on to the other company. This is just one of MANY videos on YouTube that talks about solo players in MMOs, but this is a game developer talking to other game developers at some conference or convention, so I thought it would be more relevant to a developer. Of course, this guy left out some categories of solo players, and got some things wrong, but plenty of MMO solo players posted comments to the video, to better explain some things from a solo player perspective.

• I am not sure crafting is all that great now, but I am just sticking my toe in it in many ways.

I am also a solo player most of the time.

I enjoy the crafting a lot. Actually, I think the combination of gathering, then using those materials for crafting, sort of makes it even more fun and interesting for me. I currently have one character who is max basic in all crafting, and is a master etcher. Another character is max in all basic crafting and a master weapon smith. I am still working on making all of my characters max basic for everything, and I will have one master for each different craft. All of my characters are level 350 in all gathering skills, and they each show "350 +5" on their info pages. The gathering and crafting is not for everyone, but I find it relaxing and enjoyable. It is a lot of fun to make armor and weapons out of different materials, for different levels, then drop them in the trade broker really cheap, to help out people who are still leveling, and may be able to use it. :)
  • Jezzeusagi wrote: »
    Even in +15 ambush you wont be soloing 417-422 dungeons. Theyre specifically built for parties and are designed to reset or 1 shot you if too many people are missing.

That is very disappointing to hear. I was hoping I may have a shot to at least be able to finally do the level 65 dungeons, if I set up one character with +15 Ambush gear. That means that the content I was hoping for will still not be available to me. I hope Tera someday creates some level 65 dungeons for solo players.
  • ExortusExortus Xbox One NA Lakan PVE Server ✭✭
    Jezzeusagi wrote: »
    Even in +15 ambush you wont be soloing 417-422 dungeons. Theyre specifically built for parties and are designed to reset or 1 shot you if too many people are missing.

That is very disappointing to hear. I was hoping I may have a shot to at least be able to finally do the level 65 dungeons, if I set up one character with +15 Ambush gear. That means that the content I was hoping for will still not be available to me. I hope Tera someday creates some level 65 dungeons for solo players.

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but they do have solo dungeons: Echoes of Aranea, Ace Dungeons, and Celestial Arena.
  • edited October 29
    Exortus wrote: »

This probably isn't what you're looking for, but they do have solo dungeons: Echoes of Aranea, Ace Dungeons, and Celestial Arena.

I actually do Celestial Arena and Ace Dungeons almost daily, as part of getting my daily Vanguard rewards. I think I have uploaded at least a couple of those runs to my Xbox Live account, along with some of me soloing some of the level dungeons. I always do Echoes of Aranea when I am playing a new character, and get to that point where I want the Slaughter gear, because Echoes of Aranea is the quickest and easiest way to get the full Slaughter gear. Once I have my Slaughter gear, there is not much point in doing Echoes of Aranea again, because it no longer offers any rewards that I can use. The Undercede tokens are nice, but I am better off doing activities for the Intercede tokens. Ace Dungeons and Celestial Arena are actually GREAT for getting the daily Vanguard rewards and tokens for Guile gear and Demense accessories, but they don't help much with end-game gear like Ambush (except for the occasional Lilith's Chest from Celestial Arena, which can sometimes drop a couple of the useful Ambush materials). I would like to be able to have some solo player content and/or dungeons where I can also shoot for Ambush gear and materials.

I actually LOVED the summer games, especially the Temple of the Sun, where we could make those snow cone things, we could do the vampire dungeon thing, we could light the braziers, and even the beach things were cool. The prizes (I think they were medallions?) were AWESOME, because we could use those for Guile gear and Demense accessories. The summer games were TOTALLY WORTH PLAYING, and I am still looking forward to doing them again, next summer. We can get those things from the Intercede and Supercede tokens, but the summer games included challenges that involved gathering and crafting (snow cones and sand castles), as well as fun and easy games like the water cannons and smashing watermelons while blindfolded. You got worthwhile prizes, no matter how badly you scored, but you got even more if you did score really well. Content like that on a continual basis would be great for solo players. It won't give me Ambush gear, but it gave great prizes for doing fun activities. It gets kind of old, when the primary way to get rewards is just going and killing a bunch of monsters, over and over and over again. I will sometimes do gathering missions for my daily Vanguard rewards, because I just do NOT feel like having to do a bunch more killing, that day. Of course, the Vanguard rewards for gathering missions suck. However, I do like getting the weekly rewards for doing 15, so I do my best to get 15 for the scrolls and stuff.

Gathering and making food in the Fair thing (I forget what it was called) was pretty fun, and some of the food items were worthwhile prizes. Even gathering sheep and protecting livestock from wolves was pretty fun. Those are more examples of the types of things they could permanently add for people, where you can get nice prizes for having a fun time. The herding piglings, pushing the hay bale, and trying to hit those drums were all just very frustrating and annoying, because they were too difficult and the prizes were simply not worth the amount of time and effort required to do them. I was better off just standing there, letting the timer run out, then collecting the default prizes for those ones. Of course, someone else had posted a thread about how frustrating those three particular things were, but how they could be fun and worthwhile, by simply slowing down the enemies just a little bit, which I agree with. Even those three would be worthwhile and fun to get rewards, if they were just slightly less difficult. I tried the Halloween shooting thing a couple of times, but I have not been back since then. I could not seem to score very well, and I saw multiple cannons in there, so I guess it is only designed for group players, and the prizes were definitely not even worth the time it takes to go in there.

I tried the Halloween shooting thing a couple of times, but I have not been back since then. I could not seem to score very well, and I saw multiple cannons in there, so I guess it is only designed for group players, and the prizes were definitely not even worth the time it takes to go in there.

There are actually "mechanics" to the Halloween dungeon, but it does take a group of 3. There's a feat that requires you to get 5000 score and it has some pretty nice items in it.

Are you a solo player by choice or due to lack of finding groups?
  • edited October 30

I tried the Halloween shooting thing a couple of times, but I have not been back since then. I could not seem to score very well, and I saw multiple cannons in there, so I guess it is only designed for group players, and the prizes were definitely not even worth the time it takes to go in there.

There are actually "mechanics" to the Halloween dungeon, but it does take a group of 3. There's a feat that requires you to get 5000 score and it has some pretty nice items in it.

Are you a solo player by choice or due to lack of finding groups?

I have always been a solo player. I just enjoy playing games, for the game itself, if it is a good game. Even though I think there are things they could improve and add, I really love playing Tera. I have a LOT of responsibilities at work, and I talk with people from around the world every day, I have to deal with meetings, phone conferences, traveling, etc. on a constant basis. I always have to make lots of decisions, and tell other people what to do. Games are my "alone time", where I get to relax and enjoy an alternate reality, to get a break from dealing with people all of the time.
  • I do want to clarify that even though I am a "solo player", I do not mind helping people when they need help. I was killing some top-tier monsters on Island of Dawn, and someone approached and asked if I would help them, because they kept getting killed by the monsters, so they sent me an invite and we killed some together, until they had killed enough for what they were doing. I had someone ask me in front of Macellareous Catacombs if I would go in with them, and I solo that thing all of the time, so I agreed and they sent me an invite that I accepted. When I asked if they were ready to go in, they said I was crazy for only wanting to go in with two people (even though I was thinking how easy it was going to be, with two of us). They wanted to sit around and wait to recruit more people. I got bored after about 5 minutes, and went in and soloed it again. I have had similar experiences with other people and some of the lower dungeons, where they ask me to help, I agree, but then they won't go in unless they have a massive crowd of people to go in with them. I have also helped a few others who asked for help with some BAMs and things. I do prefer playing solo, but I am happy to help, when I can. I also try to be considerate of others who are fighting BAMs, gathering, etc. If I want to fight BAMs, gather some items, or whatever, but I see someone else already doing it in that spot, then I will switch channels before I start, so we don't accidentally get in each other's way.

I definitely do not have trouble finding groups, or at least guilds, because a lot of guild people seem to just walk up and randomly ask me to join their guilds. I always politely tell them I am not looking for a guild, and they "usually" just say thanks anyway, or something, and go about their way. I had one guy who asked, I told him I wasn't looking for a guild, but then he started talking about how great his guild is, how they could help me, and whatever. I told him again that I was not looking for a guild, then he told me that text chat was not enough time for him to explain, and told me I needed to switch to voice chat, so he could have more time to explain why I should join his guild. I simply teleported out of the area. I seriously do not mind people asking, because I know that people who enjoy playing in groups want to recruit more members, but some people just do not get it, that not everyone wants to play in groups. There is no need for people like him to be pushy about it. Just take the "no" politely, and go ask the next person. There is a good chance if a guild member asks someone with no guild affiliation to join their guild, but that player says "no", they are probably a solo player, so trying to "brow beat" them into joining that guild is not going to work. :)

I will probably eventually try an upper-level dungeon with a group, or a guild, or whatever. Unless Tera starts offering some content or dungeons with end-game rewards for solo players, that will be the only way I can do those kinds of things. Especially since the only Ambush item that can apparently NOT be acquired through the pay to win route is the belt. I can buy all other Ambush designs, materials, etc. through the Trade Broker, using gold I get from selling cosmetic EMP store items that I buy just for that purpose. Even the Quatrefoil Brooch was easy to get that way. Right now, I just have a Conflate belt, so I may someday have to try for the Ambush belt, by going into a 417 dungeon with a group, since I can't get past the first monster, when I try to solo them.

I will probably eventually try an upper-level dungeon with a group, or a guild, or whatever. Unless Tera starts offering some content or dungeons with end-game rewards for solo players, that will be the only way I can do those kinds of things. Especially since the only Ambush item that can apparently NOT be acquired through the pay to win route is the belt. I can buy all other Ambush designs, materials, etc. through the Trade Broker, using gold I get from selling cosmetic EMP store items that I buy just for that purpose. Even the Quatrefoil Brooch was easy to get that way. Right now, I just have a Conflate belt, so I may someday have to try for the Ambush belt, by going into a 417 dungeon with a group, since I can't get past the first monster, when I try to solo them.

You actually cannot trade lady's handkerchief and envy crystals either so you have to do hard modes for those. I do wish you luck with your endeavor and I hope this community continues to grow :)