Is the game better now?

It's been 2-3 years since I joined this game, is it worth it?

Is it more fun?
Do you have enough player now?

Comments

• JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    Game is in a worse state than ever before, sadly. A lot of us wish it wasn't.

Is it more fun? Depends on what 'fun' is to you. The combat is still there - but it's still the same monotonous instance dungeon running game with Island of Dawn encompassing hours of mindless BAM slaying for crafting materials.

The player count is actually at its lowest probably in the game's entire history. EME has been dropping the ball left and right for the last couple years and really screwed the pooch with the latest fiasco, dropping a DMCA shutdown on the mod community because of a couple of limp-wristed, hollow claims that proxy was used for cheating (spoiler alert: it wasn't, cheaters are still cheating without proxy).

Most of the dedicated end-game population, people chasing BiS, doing hardest dungeons, and doing teaching runs is gone. Either they left for EU, or they just dropped the game entirely.

At this point - if you live closer to EU than NA, I recommend starting over, over there. It's in a much, much better state than NA is in right now, and you'll have a lot more fun (more ways to progress, more things to do, events regularly, much larger player population, better game performance) - Even those of us here like me for example, have ~130ms ping in EU and I still take that over NA right now.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    End game is much more grindy and slow now. Gear progression is weird and requires going through 4 gear sets instead of the old 3. pvp gives better prizes for now and until EME gets tired of it, but it's the same unbalanced pile of crapola as always. Expect to be kicked.... lots. Also, there's the group of people around here advertising the EU servers after EME's DCMA fiasco.. They are just two or three words away from starting a damn boycott.

But whatever. Level up is still kinda fun. Guardian missions may be repetitive but it's something to do on the side (and you get a nice amount of gold just for popping floating bubbles). If you have or can easily make friends or join a fun guild, almost none of the bad stuff will really affect you.
  • CezzareCezzare ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Well, there are hardly any side activities besides dungeons and BG's in the game right now, you just grid for crafting materials through Guardian missions and VG requests at the Island of Dawn (at a rather slow rate unlless you have some alts for that purpose). Needless to say, being in a guild or having a group of friends helps to keep things fun.

The game is more stagnant than it has ever been, in part because of the gear system revamp and frankly because the NA publisher's team thought they could simply turn on the auto-pilot for the PC version and milk it while focusing in the PS4/XB1 clients... a task they seem to have also failed at since the console version went through a server merge quite soon after its release.

The last episode in the list of neglected issues and lack of communication was the DMCA thing against certain 3rd party developers among the community, a measure that, whether you agree with it or not, seemingly had a very negative impact in Tera's player base.

I won't link those Steam charts nobody believes in anyway, but from my personal experience I saw an increase in activitty after the server merge: more LFG requests, influx of materials, broker price fluctuations, etc., but after the DMCA thing there was a drop in activity: a lot less LFG groups, scarcity of certain items in the broker (not talking about talents, those are scarce anyway), rise in broker prices, and so on. The launch of Apex II should've boosted the game's population, but it seems like it had little to no effect, I guess one of the reasons (other than the DMCA issue) is that except for those players who actually mained the classes featured in Apex II, many already had geared alts and simply logged in, finished the Apex quest, gave the new skills a try and... that's it, back to the normal grind until someone else figures out new gear combinations, new glyph builds, etc.
  • DvsvDvsv ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Game is in a way more worse state is you ask me.

1 - Gear progression is WAY more grindy than it ever was (at least since i started on VM5 patch), just forget having fun gearing alts to help your guild or whatever, you gonna need months to just gear one char to ~Full SC+7 that is what they're asking now for new 3 Stars dungeons (unlike VM days that the gear needed for 5 star content was farmed in 1 week!), jewelry is [filtered] expensive now (158K gear exp is just LOL) and there's no relilable ways to farm mats. I don't think the current BIS (HO+2 soon +3) is achievable anymore for free players starting now. The current developer rly got a very different mindset from the devs of last VM patch and they think oldschool hardcore korean grind is the way to go.

2 - EME/BHS nerfed every way to farm basic enchanting mats (esp golden talents, meta tokens, etc) cuz they think that a longer grind will make ppl play more their game...

3 - Class balance is horrible as always, the lastest revamped/newer classes will always be broken and way above everything else, if you play dps class you'll be relevant for just 6 months tops, the dev will do everything to force you to reroll even if rerolling is not a option anymore cuz how expensive and time consuming gearing is now.

4 - Player pop is all time low, i don't care if you trust or not on Steam charts or whatever, the fact is that back in VM5 days we needed to line up just to do TAR on AV cuz every channel was full, now we got only 2 servers and it'll be a pain just to find groups to run endgame content..

Imho, BHS/EME is trying very hard to make Tera an overall bad gaming experience, they completely forgot what the word "FUN" means and nop, "FUN" is NOT "working" 6~12 Hrs per day w/o a paycheck so in the next few months you lose everything.
  • ^^ best game ever for what you pay. After 6 years no game is as much fun. I enjoy lvling chars and believe me their are a lot of people on those lower quest. That's more fun then sitting in Highwatch complaining
  • Don't listen to all the gloom doomers and their over exaggerations. Unfortunately the game is as it was a couple years ago. Nothing much has change in terms of how you play the game, new gears, skills etc. The merge did nothing, and the DCMA did nothing, in fact I could argue since APEX 2, the pop. and activity has increased. Yea people left to EU, but its not as much as you think, or people would have you believe. EU is only active when there is an event going on, outside of that its like NA tbh.
  • P2WP2W ✭✭✭
    JohnRees69 wrote: »
    Don't listen to all the gloom doomers and their over exaggerations. Unfortunately the game is as it was a couple years ago. Nothing much has change in terms of how you play the game, new gears, skills etc. The merge did nothing, and the DCMA did nothing, in fact I could argue since APEX 2, the pop. and activity has increased. Yea people left to EU, but its not as much as you think, or people would have you believe. EU is only active when there is an event going on, outside of that its like NA tbh.

The population and activity has increased? Give me some of that [filtered] you're smoking.
    https://steamcharts.com/app/323370

EU is only active when there is an event going on? Maybe. But EU constantly have events going on while NA barely have any. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    P2W wrote: »
    EU is only active when there is an event going on? Maybe. But EU constantly have events going on while NA barely have any. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wasn't the argument for nerfing Vanguards that EME thought they were preventing more events from happening?

How's that going, I wonder...?
  • thank you guys.

I will continue without playing then.
    Thank you.
  • CezzareCezzare ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    SageWindu wrote: »

Wasn't the argument for nerfing Vanguards that EME thought they were preventing more events from happening?

How's that going, I wonder...?

Yup, I think it was around the game's anniversary when they mentioned that they would turn off the 2x vanguard rewards on the daily basis to start the monthly bonuses cycle we have now. If they really added a decent amount of talents and metamorphic emblems to dungeons or guardian missisons, I would see justifiable they kept the mount of rewards from IoD so low, but since they're doing neither I think it would be healthy that they added back the 2x vanguard rewards or at least put back the meta emblems back into all VG quests.
  • P2W wrote: »
    Don't listen to all the gloom doomers and their over exaggerations. Unfortunately the game is as it was a couple years ago. Nothing much has change in terms of how you play the game, new gears, skills etc. The merge did nothing, and the DCMA did nothing, in fact I could argue since APEX 2, the pop. and activity has increased. Yea people left to EU, but its not as much as you think, or people would have you believe. EU is only active when there is an event going on, outside of that its like NA tbh.

The population and activity has increased? Give me some of that [filtered] you're smoking.

So you're taking a graph from ONE of TERA's clients, the least used one as well, as your guide for OVERALL population, forget me, I need some of tht [filtered] you're on.
  • > @JohnRees69 said:
    > P2W wrote: »
    >
    > JohnRees69 wrote: »
    >
    > Don't listen to all the gloom doomers and their over exaggerations. Unfortunately the game is as it was a couple years ago. Nothing much has change in terms of how you play the game, new gears, skills etc. The merge did nothing, and the DCMA did nothing, in fact I could argue since APEX 2, the pop. and activity has increased. Yea people left to EU, but its not as much as you think, or people would have you believe. EU is only active when there is an event going on, outside of that its like NA tbh.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The population and activity has increased? Give me some of that [filtered] you're smoking.
    > https://steamcharts.com/app/323370
    >
    > EU is only active when there is an event going on? Maybe. But EU constantly have events going on while NA barely have any. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > So you're taking a graph from ONE of TERA's clients, the least used one as well, as your guide for OVERALL population, forget me, I need some of tht [filtered] you're on.

Least used? Do we have a native client chart?
  • P2WP2W ✭✭✭

So you're taking a graph from ONE of TERA's clients, the least used one as well, as your guide for OVERALL population, forget me, I need some of tht [filtered] you're on.

While steam charts does not 100% accurately represent the current population, it's a pretty good sample size. Until the publisher releases the official numbers, this is the best we have. We just had a server merge and a new patch update and we still lost players. This is the first time ever that a new patch update didn't bring in more players. For reference, even EU had a slight increase in population this month while NA actually lost players.

https://steamcharts.com/app/212740
  • JohnRees69 wrote: »

They never said it was the overall population based on that graph. That graph's trend is representative of the game as a whole though, because guess what, it's a percentage of the playerbase - if there's a 10% drop in the steam portion, there's a high chance there's also a roughly 10% drop from base launcher version.