[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/21 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

TERA SEA servers

[Removing Forum Violation]

Ill slowly migrate till my SEA tera catches up to my NA but that will be hard because its 5 years worth of progress. Good bye 300 ping for 5 years.

Comments

• metagamemetagame ✭✭✭✭
    nice blog post dude
  • Maybe I'll stay here
  • LordMurasamaLordMurasama ✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Each publisher owns the player data so account migrations aren't simply going to happen without EME completely shutting down the NA servers, Bluehole reacquiring that data from EME, and then negotiating terms with the other publisher who wants the rights to resume servicing the region and securing access to that information.

Also, the grass can look greener on the other side of the hill. PLAYWITH Interactive (and their subsidiaries)... I'm not high on them because of how they handled Kuntara Online in Korea and have been handling the Steam version of the same game except with a new name (Warlords Awakening) where they made it buy-to-play (I don't have problems with buy-to-play but not when the game is in a messed up state). People give Neowiz a lot of grief for how they handled Bless Online on Steam but even they are better IMHO compared to PLAYWITH.

The company deceived players and gaming media there when they came out of nowhere in May 2017 about the "new" MMO they were planning on releasing with the code name Project K. Then in September 2017, announced the open beta would be happening in October along with the actual name of the game. What they didn't mention was that it was a rebrand of ELOA (Elite Lord of Alliance) since they were licensing the IP and source code at the time from the original developer (NPICSOFT).

The game media covered it and that drummed up a lot of hype (150K pre-registrations) because players there were looking forward to a new MMO. The open beta came and that is when everyone learned that it was a rebranded version of ELOA (which was also still in service in Korea by Netmarble). They managed to snag 45K logins before the news got out and all the interest dropped off a cliff.

Netmarble terminated the Korean service of ELOA in December 2017 while Kuntara Online could really only manage a few hundred players. NPICSOFT ended up going out of business and PLAYWITH acquired the intellectual property and source code. They then announced the Steam early access version as a buy-to-play title in June 2018 (probably seeing all the pre-hype for Bless Online early access). They ended up shutting down the Korean version (Kuntara Online) just before the Steam early access launch though and refused to address that closure when myself and others brought it up (zero transparency).

https://massivelyop.com/2018/07/19/warlords-awakening-just-sunset-in-korea-and-now-its-coming-to-steam-early-access-here/
    https://mmos.com/editorials/the-weekly-raid-warlords-awakening-another-korean-cash-grab

PLAYWITH Thailand couldn't even manage to keep a sizable player population for TERA when servicing just Thailand because the company as whole staffs their regional subsidiaries with a skeleton crew while on the monetization side, gates end game progression for most of their free-to-play published titles through cash shop heavy mechanics.

With all of this said, players who believe PLAYWITH will be a better publisher than EME or even Gameforge for TERA, should go and experience their version all the way into end game. I'm going to be rolling on there myself just to see what kind of shenanigans they intend to pull with the SEA version.
  • Vy1ViviVy1Vivi ✭✭✭
    Um, no? So just because SEA is opening up people are talking about leaving for there too? I can understand if you actually live in those regions, but I don't so I for one don't want to migrate my account from NA. If you live over there then fine, suit yourself.

Good for SEA though, I hope their publisher does a better service for their players than EME has for us in NA.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vy1Vivi wrote: »
    Um, no? So just because SEA is opening up people are talking about leaving for there too? I can understand if you actually live in those regions, but I don't so I for one don't want to migrate my account from NA. If you live over there then fine, suit yourself.

Good for SEA though, I hope their publisher does a better service for their players than EME has for us in NA.

Do remember many people are bitter at EME and are looking for any opportunity to toss a jab at them.
  • Also remember there was a lot of BR/SEA and Australians who got wacked by the DMCA debacle.

Announcing that youre leaving is not a good idea but advertising the new server for those SEA players is.
  • I would like to check out my ping with that server but guess gonna have to wait.
  • I've been playing in NA server for 6 years now. I can't abandon my NA characters because I've invested so much so I guess I'll play back to back between servers. we hope for account migration in the future but i think it won't happen
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any documented cases of account migration that are similar to what people are asking here? I mean, Tera SEA is not published by EME and they have absolutely nothing to do with whatever company gets that version going. I really doubt these two companies who only share in common their publishing of this game would sit down to talk about such a thing as taking people off from one company to the other. It would be the same as asking for an account transfer to EU Tera.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    The only instance I know that account were migrated from different region with different publishers was when the servers were shut down on Ragnarok Online way back.
  • PwhoopsPwhoops ✭✭✭
    Well, technically it all depends on BHS. Since BHS owns EME they could potentially allow people to migrate accounts.
  • nah... they'd only do it if EME stopped publishing TERA.
    BHS don't want their publishers to be in competition with each other.
    Although I could (almost) imagine them allowing it at incredible cost.
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    Pwhoops wrote: »
    Well, technically it all depends on BHS. Since BHS owns EME they could potentially allow people to migrate accounts.

I still doubt it because every migrated account is lost potential revenue. Costumes, XP boosts, etc. They know people treat Tera like a dress-up simulator, so allowing you to skirt past having to double-up on how much money you give them is not going to happen - even if it would earn them infinitely more value in community outlook and goodwill.
  • Pwhoops wrote: »
    From a purely technical perspective, yes, they could do that. But realistically from a business point of view where they also have to respect the business operations of their regional publishers, It's not as simple as that. Part of a publishing contract gives the publisher control over the player data. Let me provide a relevant example.

When NHN Hangames shifted focus from PC to mobile in Korea in 2014 (both TERA and Devilian which their subsidiary Bluehole Ginno developed, were published on that portal), Devilian was in the first group of MMO's that Hangames was going to stop publishing in 2015. Bluehole Ginno decided to reacquire the publishing rights and player data from Hangames (to take back control of both the publishing rights and data from NHN) since at the time, they were considering re-publishing in Korea in 2016 (never happened since Bluehole in general had cash flow problems stemming from TERA being offline while transitioning to Nexon). If they hadn't done that, they would have only been able to re-negotiate a publishing deal with someone else, but players would no longer have access to their previous account because that data was legally controlled by NHN Entertainment and their Hangames portal.

So even if there were a technical solution, it's highly unlikely any publisher would simply allow their customers to hit a button to account migrate to another publishers version while they are still in operation. I can see that scenario changing in the case where a publisher decides to terminate their business relationship and then go through negotiations for that data.

From PLAYWITH's point of view in opening up these new regional servers, it's about starting off with a clean slate as well. They will of course welcome players from all over since none of the other regional publishers of TERA seems to have submitted a request for them to place IP blocks on it. That could of course change last minute like what happened with Gameforge for Soul Worker Online when they allowed by mistake, SEA and Latin America players on during the open beta, but realized later they weren't licensed to publish in that region since Smilegate had signed for the publishing rights for SEA, South America, and Korea in 2016. The only thing was that Smilegate has only put the Korean version online since that agreement. Gameforge initially ninja blocked those regions without any explanation until the complaints started rolling in where they finally issued a public statement.

For PLAYWITH, every one of those accounts will be considered ripe for monetization. If Bluehole were to hypothetically allow account migrations from a completely different region, someone somewhere is going to have to decide exactly what can and cannot be brought over. An account loaded with cosmetics won't do PLAYWITH SEA any good from a monetization perspective for example. What about gold that is brought into the game as well as other materials which will regardless of region, is shared in common when it comes gear progression? That gives a long existing account a huge advantage on what is a fresh start environment (impacting the long term game economy in the process).

From a business operations perspective though, I know how PLAYWITH generally tends to operate and they aren't going to want to manage something like that anyway (because the Korean head office is only going to give this subsidiary the bare minimum of staffing needed).

• PotehtoPotehto ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Personally I'm really curious to see how this turns out, I've been with TERA NA for a little while now and have loved it for the longest time, was just no longer able to play due to military/conscription reasons, I could never really find the time to get on and it doesn't help that the whole xigncode thing was apparently a security compromise(?) not sure how true that was but it definitely made me fear updating my game in general. I had much fun with TERA NA but I'm unsure of the idea of grinding all over again to 65 along with the disadvantages such as having founders on NA and that it would definitely not be transferrable to the SEA servers. Either way, every single game in SEA has been quite widely known for its garbage RMT-based culture and it would not be a surprise to see players selling end game items for real money etc. though, the huge decrease in ping would definitely be quite attractive, going from 200ms to <30ms definitely feels like a significant amount.