[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

PvP Servers Merging Into PvE Servers

Comments

• I think this is a great idea and fully support this suggestion.
    Autumn - xb1 Lakan
  • A whole player base shouldn’t have to miss out on being able to play their characters because their server has a lot less people. It would be beneficial to pvp players and pve players. I strongly agree with this idea.

Shakey
  • This was discussed during the recent server merges here https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/28186/an-open-letter-to-eme-staff-regarding-server-merges/p1

I am still all for the few remaining PvPers getting to merge with the PvE servers if they want, but I still do not want the PvE server changed to include more PvP. I joined a PvE server because I want to be on a PvE server. Changing a PvE server into a PvP server, or some hybrid PvE/PvP server will simply end up causing the new merged server to become as much of a ghost town as the current PvP servers, when many of us PvE players leave to find another game that has true PvE servers.

Personally, I think some voucher system (or just "open period" of time) that would allow PvP players to transfer to a PvE server (or vice versa) with ALL of their equipment, items, etc. would be a much better solution, in comparison to changing the PvE world to accommodate a very small minority of players.
  • ExipheusExipheus Kazura (XB1 NA Lakan ) mod
    This was discussed during the recent server merges here https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/28186/an-open-letter-to-eme-staff-regarding-server-merges/p1

I am still all for the few remaining PvPers getting to merge with the PvE servers if they want, but I still do not want the PvE server changed to include more PvP. I joined a PvE server because I want to be on a PvE server. Changing a PvE server into a PvP server, or some hybrid PvE/PvP server will simply end up causing the new merged server to become as much of a ghost town as the current PvP servers, when many of us PvE players leave to find another game that has true PvE servers.

Personally, I think some voucher system (or just "open period" of time) that would allow PvP players to transfer to a PvE server (or vice versa) with ALL of their equipment, items, etc. would be a much better solution, in comparison to changing the PvE world to accommodate a very small minority of players.

Afaik, even on the PVP server they have to use a skill called "Outlaw's Declaration" to PVP. So even if the servers merged, you wouldn't have to deal with PVP unless you wanted to. It would look pretty similar to the duels we already see going on.
  • Yes please do and give us gvg with merge. Faized, Lakan
  • IF they are not going to do anything at least let us know.....
  • TL;DR/BLUF - The merging of PvE and PvP servers in TERA would not affect 'PvE only' players in any significant way. Period.

@GuardianAngelGG
    I appreciate your thoroughness in articulating what you dislike and like about PvE and PvP servers. Really, I do. But your statement leads those of us with experience on both kinds of servers in TERA to believe that you really are ignorant (not trying to offend, but no other word can convey a lack of experience or knowledge better than the word "ignorant") of the differences between the two types of servers.

So for you, and anyone else curious, here's what's different about TERA PvP servers:

Individual characters up to level 64 - ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!

At level 65 - Characters learn a skill called Outlaw Declaration (costs 0g 0s 0c). When enabled, allows players to engage with other players that have their Outlaw Declaration active, but only in appropriate areas/zones. Can be turned on or off depending on your mood or configuration/preparation.

Guild vs. Guild PvP is automatically enabled on PvP servers (this has to be manually switched "on" by Guild Masters on PvE servers). This allows combat between guilds that have declared war on one another. (Admittedly, I don't know if this is limited to level 65 characters only, or if 64 and below can participate in GvG PvP. If anyone can elaborate on this, please post accordingly!)

So... Even on a PvP server, there's no ganking or griefing 'lowbies'. No worries about getting your BAM kill taken from you, or interrupted, or general loss of progress when going about your business in the 'open world', as you can only combat like-minded individuals of equal level (65) in areas conducive for PvP combat. In fact, even if Outlaw Declaration magically appeared on PvE servers, it wouldn't affect PvE minded players or activities in any way whatsoever.

So, again, while I appreciate your enthusiasm of all things PvE, I just don't see how integrating what few (and incredibly limited) PvP changes to existing PvE servers could possibly do to affect players that don't want to participate in PvP activities in how they go about their in-game PvE lifestyle, especially since you can be 'non-PvP' on a PvP server!

Here's what would happen if PvE and PvP servers were to merge:

Server population would rise slightly. Lag in social zone's Channel 1s would slightly worsen.

Server economy would unbalance for a few days before stabilizing again.

There would be some form of naming conflict issues during the migration that might require a free renaming of some characters.

Number of characters per server, per account, would more than likely increase.

Poor attitude or inconsiderately performing players in queued instances would be unable to hide behind the inability for direct messages to be sent to players of different servers because we'd all be from the same player pool. (Well, until they add new servers...)

Duel-like behavior could be spectated slightly more often than presently experienced.

PvP server players would experience lag in Highwatch and Velika for the first time.

PvP server players would wonder what happened to all the world bosses they are so accustomed to seeing (Has anyone seen Humedras? That ghostly Baraka still owes me gold from the poker game before the server merger!)

En Masse Entertainment GMs would never have to process server-transfer requests ever again.

En Masse Entertainment could save some money by maintaining a smaller number of servers, and reinvest that capital elsewhere, that would (likely) benefit the TERA community.

PvE players that want to experience, or improve upon, their PvP skills would have an option to do so outside of abysmally long BG queues that seem to only work on weekends.

My brain can't process anymore. As I've tried to point out, there just isn't any tangible or long-term detriment to merging servers for either player base. If someone knows of any negative reprocusions that I may have missed, please call me out/flame me accordingly.

~Groove
  • edited November 2018
    groovenik wrote: »
    TL;DR/BLUF - The merging of PvE and PvP servers in TERA would not affect 'PvE only' players in any significant way. Period.

@GuardianAngelGG
    I appreciate your thoroughness in articulating what you dislike and like about PvE and PvP servers. Really, I do. But your statement leads those of us with experience on both kinds of servers in TERA to believe that you really are ignorant (not trying to offend, but no other word can convey a lack of experience or knowledge better than the word "ignorant") of the differences between the two types of servers.

I am probably a bit older than many of the players on here, so I remember when the word "ignorant" was normally used in its proper context, and not used as an insult. You used the term in its grammatically correct sense, and it is the proper word to describe my non-experience with the PvP servers, so I certainly took no offense. Because of @CobaltDragon 's tank leveling events, I had created a Brawler and Lancer on my primary gamertag and took them both to level 65, to take advantage of all of the awesome free stuff being given to those characters, every few levels. I then created a Brawler and Lancer on my alt gamertag and took both of them to level 64. You only need to get to level 64 to enjoy all of the free giveaways, and I needed to save some time, so I will go back and finish them to level 65 later. Those four characters were all done on the NA PvE server. I had read all of the comments about the PvP servers not being a gank-fest, so a few days ago I decided to create a Brawler on the NA PvP server. I work full-time, so I got her to level 60 in a few evenings after work, which gave me plenty of great free stuff. Work gave me a four-day weekend, because of Thanksgiving, so yesterday morning I decided to create a Lancer on the PvP server, to see how far I could get with that character. I played the Lancer for about 18 hours straight, and got her to level 64, then I went back to the Brawler and took her from level 60 to 64, probably just a few hours before the tank leveling event was scheduled to end (I intentionally powered through so many hours of straight gameplay, simply because I knew the event was scheduled to end today). Having played on the PvP server for the past few days, taking two characters to level 64, I can say that I now have first-hand experience that there is absolutely NO difference in gameplay for those levels, between the PvE and PvP servers. I have not yet had time to take them to level 65, but I will later. I have read numerous people's comments that even at level 65 you do not have to worry about people annoying you and interrupting your gameplay with PvP stuff, unless you activate the outlaw declaration thing, so I have no doubt that is true. I "personally" have no more concerns that introducing the current PvP server options into the PvE server would end up ruining the game for me, because it is non-existent from levels 1 to 64, and I can just ignore all of that PvP stuff at level 65, the way I ignore all of the random requests for dueling on both the PvE and PvP servers. Of course, the random requests to duel were even more frequent on the PvP server than they already are on the PvE server, but I would expect that, because I do not understand why a PvP element like dueling even exists on a PvE server, but I would certainly expect dueling to be a popular past-time on a PvP server. At least I can just ignore all of those requests, so they are no more than just annoying little pop-ups that show up on the screen, once in a while.

That being said, merging the PvP and PvE servers would no longer cause "me" to quit Tera immediately, but it may still cause a serious decline in population and stagnate/slow the growth of the game. The number of any game's players that actually participate in the game's online forums represents only a very small percentage of the overall player population. Many people on the PvE server may simply see that they are now on a PvP or PvE/PvP server, would simply assume it has now become yet another annoying PvP game, and they would simply quit playing. The majority of players do not read the forums, so they will not understand what is going on to begin with, and many PvE players will not try out the PvP environment, the way I did. Because I made the mistake of wasting money on a game before, which I knew offered PvP, but I "assumed" had a PvE option (but did NOT), I made sure I did a little research on Tera before I installed it. I checked Tera's online web site, and some other sites, and I made sure they had actual PvE servers, before I decided to play it. If Tera creates a PvE/PvP server, many PvE players who are looking at Tera for the first time will check on the game, see that it does not offer a solely PvE server, and they will simply pass Tera up for another game, rather than waste their time on what they will assume is just another PvP game. I certainly would not have even played Tera to begin with, if I had not seen that they had dedicated PvE servers. Consumer education is the most expensive and challenging task for any business, and you simply will not be able to educate the entire gaming community that you can play PvE on Tera's PvE/PvP server, without being annoyed by PvP players constantly interrupting you, while you are trying to enjoy the game.

In any event, I no longer have any personal objection to merging the servers and including the PvP options, in the manner that they currently exist on the PvP servers.
    groovenik wrote: »

PvP server players would wonder what happened to all the world bosses they are so accustomed to seeing (Has anyone seen Humedras? That ghostly Baraka still owes me gold from the poker game before the server merger!)

This comment literally made me LOL. I just started playing on the PvP server for the first time, a few days ago. When I was doing the quest to get the shifting map, I saw a gigantic ghost-like Baraka in that area. He was just standing there, not moving. I was totally confused, because I had taken 9 characters to level 65, and 2 more characters to level 64, on the PvE server. Every one of them had done that quest and I had NEVER seen that guy before. He was not moving, so I was wondering if this was some new statue in the game, or something like that, so I decided to go take a closer look. BIG MISTAKE! I apparently got too close, because he suddenly began to move and slammed me with some blast that took out nearly 1/4th of my health bar with a single blow (I was around level 61 or 62, and only wearing the basic gear for that level). I suddenly realized I must be dealing with a major named boss I was not familiar with, and I began running as fast as I could (I had made a similar mistake with my first character, with Hammar in Arx Umbra). Unfortunately, his blast caused me to draw my weapon, so I was in combat mode, meaning I was "running" painfully slowly, like I was slogging through a tar pit. He was chasing me and blasting me once in a while, but I was running and drinking a new health potion every time the cool-down period ended on the previous health potion I had taken, just watching my health bar going back and forth between close to death, then still alive again. Luckily, I made it out of there alive (just barely), and he quit chasing me. :)

• RinkyRinky ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    I'll start this off with I appreciate all the players support. I hope one day that I am able to play with you all, without the need to cross-queue, and most importantly look cute next to you in Highwatch.

I am not proposing the PvE server become a PvP server, but rather the many players from PvP who are interested in forfeiting the minor PvP aspects of the PvP server in favor of gaining the ability to actually play with other players on the PvE server, as a PvE server.

Currently on PvP it's growing more and more difficult to find 7 players for the newly released Velik's Hold, and that's with both of the most active guilds interested in running with each other. I can only imagine how difficult it will be to find 10 players for Akron's Inferno, that is soon to be released. The restrictions in Instance Matching prevent us from queueing this 7 man with the small population wanting to run, and without leaving anyone out. Rally BAM is considered FULL or PACKED if there are more than 20 players there. Sometimes our server doesn't even kill the Rally BAM, because there isn't enough players to kill it in the allotted time. (See today Monday 11/26. The Rally BAM despawned, and was not killed)

To elaborate on the server differences:
    First of all - currently on PvP Outlaw Declaration is a one way skill, meaning that only one person has to enable it to attack other players, and players who are not flagged for Outlaw can freely attack flagged players. This is currently used VERY RARELY. As there are many many safe zones, including IOD, and every city. It's only available at 65 as mentioned, and does not affect 1-64 toons.

The second difference is the newly added Guild vs Guild. This feature plays just as it sounds - A guild can declare on another guild, and there is open world PvP for everyone in the respective guilds. The only safe zone is Velika, and DOES effect all toons(1-65, as long as they are in the guild)That being said, it was quite fun for a week or two.. but there aren't enough players on the Xbox PvP server to kill. It basically came down to a true gank fest, and it ultimately was boring. There is no incentives behind it. Even the most dedicated PvP guild on Xbox One has DISBANDED due to this feature.
    From what I understand a similar feature was added to PvE servers on PC, and it was simple. Guilds could either accept, or decline the GvG invitation on PvE, and on PvP there was no decline the invitation. Players should not be worried about this, as stated in the news post, this is eventually going to be added to PvE anyways, with the option to decline.

-If necessary, i'm sure it would be very easy to develop an Outlaw Declaration skill for the PvE server, that requires both players to be flagged to engage in PvP if they wish. Alternatively those handful of players can just wait for PvE GvG, and join with guilds who are interested in GvG.

I personally do not care about the above differences, and am more than happy to forfeit them. The only PvP that majority of players care about is BGs. They currently do not pop, due to lack of incentives, but on Xbox there was always more PvE server players in BGs than there was PvP server players.

-Rinky
  • Rinky wrote: »

First of all - currently on PvP Outlaw Declaration is a one way skill, meaning that only one person has to enable it to attack other players, and players who are not flagged for Outlaw can freely attack flagged players. This is currently used VERY RARELY. As there are many many safe zones, including IOD, and every city. It's only available at 65 as mentioned, and does not affect 1-64 toons.

Thank you very much for clarifying this. My understanding from other posts was that BOTH players would have to enable Outlaw, in order for either of them to be able to attack the other. I was not aware that even if I do NOT declare Outlaw, other players can still interfere with my gameplay by simply declaring Outlaw on their side. I definitely would not want to see this on the PvE server. I would still support an Outlaw system where BOTH players would have to declare Outlaw, in order to be able to fight with each other.
  • If only they could allow cross-play with PS4 & Xbox for TERA. It would definitely increase the player base. PS4 TERA right now is pretty active. But PvP events have been lacking right now, Gridiron and FWC haven't been up I queue and nothing. It's only 3s right now.
  • > @GuardianAngelGG said:
    > Rinky wrote: »
    >
    > To elaborate on the server differences:
    > First of all - currently on PvP Outlaw Declaration is a one way skill, meaning that only one person has to enable it to attack other players, and players who are not flagged for Outlaw can freely attack flagged players. This is currently used VERY RARELY.

Thank you very much for clarifying this. My understanding from other posts was that BOTH players would have to enable Outlaw, in order for either of them to be able to attack the other. I was not aware that even if I do NOT declare Outlaw, other players can still interfere with my gameplay by simply declaring Outlaw on their side. I definitely would not want to see this on the PvE server. I would still support an Outlaw system where BOTH players would have to declare Outlaw, in order to be able to fight with each other.

@GuardianAngelGG
    @Rinky

GuardianAngelGG, I think you misunderstood Rinky's reply. The character that turns Outlaw Declaration "on" can currently be attacked by anyone - whether they have their own Outlaw Declaration turned on or not. NOT the other way around that would allow Outlaw players to kill anyone once they flipped their switch.

~Groove
  • @groovenik - It reads to me like he is saying someone who uses Outlaw Declaration can attack others, even if the other player has not declared it. If that is the case, I would never want to see that on a PvE server. If it does NOT allow them to interfere with my gameplay, and anyone who has not used Outlaw Declaration cannot be attacked by others, then I am definitely OK with that, because it won't interfere with me being able to play the game I want to play it.

I am confused about which it is, but the bottom line is I am fine with PvP being put on the PvE server, as long as it does NOT allow people who want to PvP to interfere with PvEers playing our game the way we want to play. It won't matter to me if PvPers are fighting with each other, as long as I can walk right through that area, without anyone interfering with wherever I am going, or with whatever I am doing. As long as PvEers cannot be attacked without our express consent (we would also have to use Outlaw Declaration), then it is fine with me.
  • ExipheusExipheus Kazura (XB1 NA Lakan ) mod
    edited November 2018
    Rinky wrote: »

I was not aware that even if I do NOT declare Outlaw, other players can still interfere with my gameplay by simply declaring Outlaw on their side.

@groovenik

I believe Guardian was saying that they understand only one player had to turn on Outlaw to open world PVP, but if the servers merged, they'd want open world PVP to only be between players that both declared Outlaw.
  • server merge and optional pvp, yes please