[TERA PC] Summersilk season is here! Pick up Summersilk Robes in the TERA store until August 3. Plus, earn a free Summersilk Robe in our leveling event: https://bit.ly/TERA_summersilk
[TERA Console] To celebrate the launch of the Awakening update, participate in the Awakening Leveling Event! Details: https://bit.ly/awkn_events
[TERA Console] Server maintenance to deploy the v84.03 hotfix is scheduled for 7~11 p.m. PT on Monday, July 13, 2020. This hotfix should improve upon issues with frequent crashes and blue screens. Patch notes: https://bit.ly/v84_03_patch

Credit Where Credit's Due

I have been for a long time a big critic of every single decision EME does as a company that affects Tera. For the past few months every decision EME has taken have been for the most part atrocious and completely out of touch with the needs of the community. EME has slowly taken steps towards decisions that are good and healthy for the game. I could mention a few of them, but the one I want to focus on is the network routing EME did today. For the first time in almost 2 years my ping was not spiking at any point, having massive jitters, constant disconnect or dsync after a 12 hour gaming session. I didn't even had to relog once. It felt so smooth that I couldn't believe it. This change has such an impact on my gameplay experience that I bought myself elite once again, after having to cancel my sub after the DMCA fiasco, and even spend a couple hundred bucks on emp. I really hope is not like a one day thing and next week we are back to the lagfest/ dsync heaven that literally makes the game unplayable. Good job EME you deserve it! I'm really looking forward to more improvements and decisions like this one, keep it up.

GOD BLESS EME

Comments

• Thanks Enmasse my ping has hugely improve and connection stability is the best it has ever been. Loving the network changes!
  • zenpiax wrote: »
    I have been for a long time a big critic of every single decision EME does as a company that affects Tera. For the past few months every decision EME has taken have been for the most part atrocious and completely out of touch with the needs of the community. EME has slowly taken steps towards decisions that are good and healthy for the game. I could mention a few of them, but the one I want to focus on is the network routing EME did today. For the first time in almost 2 years my ping was not spiking at any point, having massive jitters, constant disconnect or dsync after a 12 hour gaming session. I didn't even had to relog once. It felt so smooth that I couldn't believe it. This change has such an impact on my gameplay experience that I bought myself elite once again, after having to cancel my sub after the DMCA fiasco, and even spend a couple hundred bucks on emp. I really hope is not like a one day thing and next week we are back to the lagfest/ dsync heaven that literally makes the game unplayable. Good job EME you deserve it! I'm really looking forward to more improvements and decisions like this one, keep it up.

GOD BLESS EME

What about those affected by this test, It won't help everyone this network thing is a seesaw game but they are trying and its good to see that.
  • Bump, Good Job EME. The weekly VG Events are nice too, and the weekend events.
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    Not going to lie - I'm glad to have ~50-60 ping back. Spiking up towards 150ms was putting me at worse ping than playing on EU, which was crazy since I live only a few hours from the servers.
  • PartyblastPartyblast ✭✭✭✭
    Thing is, this is just the same thing they pulled months ago and a few months before etc etc. This swap benefits a group of people but then ruins the connection for another group, eventually the complaints will become too much again and EME will once again swap back to Zayo and tip the connections again.

Nobody is winning in the long term as it currently stands.
  • edited November 2018
    Partyblast wrote: »
    Thing is, this is just the same thing they pulled months ago and a few months before etc etc. This swap benefits a group of people but then ruins the connection for another group, eventually the complaints will become too much again and EME will once again swap back to Zayo and tip the connections again.

It's because Zayo had gotten particularly bad over the last few weeks with spikes for some every day. So yeah, it very much is the lesser of two evils, and not a good permanent solution. (No matter what they do, probably won't be perfect for everyone. Still, it'd be nice if there were an Option C at least.)
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭

It's because Zayo had gotten particularly bad over the last few weeks with spikes for some every day. So yeah, it very much is the lesser of two evils, and not a good permanent solution. (No matter what they do, probably won't be perfect for everyone. Still, it'd be nice if there were an Option C at least.)

Option C could be renting out new servers to run the game on through a more reliable client. Seems the two EME are using are hit-or-miss and were probably cheap and unreliable services chosen to save money.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jerichow wrote: »

Option C could be renting out new servers to run the game on through a more reliable client. Seems the two EME are using are hit-or-miss and were probably cheap and unreliable services chosen to save money.

As far as I remember (which could be wrong) but when Spacecats was here they made that Wonderholme server as a cloud computing test, and it was hosted in some Microsoft servers if I recall. Didn't do all thaaat much better ping wise (in fact my ping went up to 300 I think) but some people said it was more stable even with higher ping.

Makes me wonder how far is En Masse's hardware capable of running spaghetti code
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinLove wrote: »
    Makes me wonder how far is En Masse's hardware capable of running spaghetti code
    As capable as pretty much anything else out there nowadays since pretty much all modern coding is a variant of some form of pasta...
  • edited November 2018
    ElinLove wrote: »
    Jerichow wrote: »

As far as I remember (which could be wrong) but when Spacecats was here they made that Wonderholme server as a cloud computing test, and it was hosted in some Microsoft servers if I recall. Didn't do all thaaat much better ping wise (in fact my ping went up to 300 I think) but some people said it was more stable even with higher ping.

You're right -- that test server was hosted in Azure as a test specifically related to this issue, and as far as I heard the results of that test were mixed (routing was mixed bag, and performance tests too). So technically you're right that maybe we're at Option D now.

In every MMO I've played there are people with routing issues (BDO has it, BnS has it, FFXIV has it, etc. obviously for different people in each game), but bigger games like WoW can have servers on both coasts so people can choose the one that's best for them. Other types of online games aren't like MMOs where everyone has to be on the same server, so they have other ways to workaround this problem that aren't open to us. Probably still more they can try, but there'll never be a perfect option.