[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

The Current Gearing System Needs To Be Changed Or Adjusted

Hello fellow players and Enmasse staff,

A year or so ago a new gearing system was introduced to the game that was mostly well received because less RNG was present (no 100s of MES to masterwork or hundreds of spellbinds to get your desired rolls). According to KTERA Dev Notes, the old awakening system was a cancerous system that costed a fortune and created disparity among players.

However, with the introduction of Heroic Oath to the game it’s clear that the new gearing system is even more cancerous and costs even more than the old awakening system. Enchanting costs doesn’t decrease with the introduction of new gear which forces people to focus only on their main, making gearing an alt a luxury.

So, what is the problem with the current gearing system and how can it be fixed?

The issue with the current gearing system is that it costs a fortune AND very RNG dependent. The new top gear requires a lot of XP for a mere 20% success chance and a correction of +2% if you fail to upgrade (correction chance is even less with the new +3).

For example
2c5ac47d45f0d.png

This poor soul has attempted to enchant his armor piece 22 times, which has a total cost of
3454 Golden Plates
660 Silver Plates
1386 Metal
352 Limbs
88 diamonds
462k gold

This is just one piece and one enchantment level, there is still the other main pieces and accessories to be upgraded.

This system is causing end game players who failed multiple times to quit playing, and discourages new players from playing because the current system is not beginner friendly.

How to fix it?
The solution is very simple. First, change the success chance formula, make it so that full XP = 100% success chance. I believe this will eliminate the frustration that players experience after failing to upgrade, and it also appeals to western players who are not huge fans of grinding for no reward.

Second, with the introduction of new gear, the cost of enchanting and XP required for older gear need to be reworked and low tier gear should become the new starter gear. There should be 4 gears present in the game, starter gear, low tier, mid tier, and high tier. Currently we have 5 and guardian gear is completely useless and should be removed and replaced with Twistshard.

The material and XP required for enchanting older gear needs to be reduced as well once a new gear is introduced, this will allow new players to catch up faster and gearing alts a bit easier. It will also prevent new gear from reaching astronomical amounts in enchanting cost and XP required.

However, these changes requires Bluehole intervention and chances are they won’t do anything about it anytime soon, so for a short term solution, EME can do the following:
1. Introduce regional currency that drop from every dungeon’s last boss. This currency should have a box that is reasonably priced and gives a generous amount of golden and silver talents.
2. Have a permanent double loot in effect, dungeon loot is currently unsatisfying and requires running the same dungeons an endless amount of times for just a chance at +1 for HO.
3. Have a permanent enchantment chance increase by a factor of 4.5 for HO, 3 for SC, and 2.5 for FM, and similar values for accessories.

I would like to hear everyone’s opinion on the proposed changes and how others feel about the current gearing system.

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• RKCRKC ✭✭✭
    LOL RNG is RNG. It doesnt matter if less or more RNG, its still RNG. All MMO's have it. You have to get used to it. If you plan to go hardcore on an MMO prepare for the hurts.
  • RKC wrote: »
    LOL RNG is RNG. It doesnt matter if less or more RNG, its still RNG. All MMO's have it. You have to get used to it. If you plan to go hardcore on an MMO prepare for the hurts.

But you can't work for RNG though.
  • MeningitisMeningitis ✭✭✭✭
    I really don't think they should go back to outright outmoding gear. That's part of the whole point of the new system they made last year. I agree that enchanting needs to be adjusted, but it'd rather not have gear be shuffled down to worthless every few patches.
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    The only changes needed to the system is:

1: 100% GearXP = 100% success
    2: Increased Material/GearXP cost to enchant each level to offset the 100% success chance

Nobody had a problem with the Arsenal update until it was found out that at higher levels, your gear didn't have 100% upgrade chance at max XP. Fix that one thing and the rest of the gear upgrade problems like lack of Talents goes away overnight.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    how ever one thing I think should be reintroduced from the old system is
    3: the ability to dismantle unused equipment in to meta like you can mats
    even though the RNG chances are probably slim you can receive additional equipment pieces running dungeons so the spare equipment should be able to be dismantled
  • 64%..

I am going to stay with +9 Stormcry for a very long time.

Thank you.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting to see a trend in EME published games towards making things more grindy and end game much less friendly to new/returning players. So it's not just a Tera problem, but what EME believes end game should be.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would propose the following:

1.) Remove the gear XP and success chance entirely so that you just need whatever materials necessary in order to complete the enchantment/upgrade.
    2.) Increase materials needed by 20-50% to offset the lack of RNG.

Those of you familiar with Warframe will recognize this system, as this is based off that but without the real-time waiting involved with the crafting process (thank f**k that isn't a thing in this game). The dedicated few will still get their stuff in short order (similar to the old VM days) and there's a greater chance of newer players sticking around, thus increasing population density and health. :smile:
  • SageWindu wrote: »

1.) Remove the gear XP and success chance entirely so that you just need whatever materials necessary in order to complete the enchantment/upgrade.

Those of you familiar with Warframe will recognize this system, as this is based off that but without the real-time waiting involved with the crafting process (thank f**k that isn't a thing in this game). The dedicated few will still get their stuff in short order (similar to the old VM days) and there's a greater chance of newer players sticking around, thus increasing population density and health. :smile:

I actually think this would be a great idea, but it'd probably make them seize eliminating the RNG completely. From the way they created this cancerous system its like they purposely created it with making it as difficult and frustrating as possible for players in mind. This kind of change would just make it "too easy" for us and they definitely don't want that. They apparently don't want veterans to stay or new players to stay either with the way the system is right now. :D

And as for what the OP said I agree. The enhancement system definitely needs to be reworked. Its not just HO either, but just enhancing frostmetal is an unnecessary pain, and then SC+ is even worse. I have a friend who is on their 7th fail attempt just to get their weapon to HO. At base SC for my weapon I started out with only a 30% enhancement rate success chant and its only gotten worse the higher the enhancement got. I remember failing like 4 or 5 times to get to +6 and I'm just like gosh this is [filtered]. The means to get the materials in this game don't even support its cancerous enchanting system. I'm stuck running the same dungeons daily just to scrap for mats for one enhancement chance, and the crafting system with its production points really holds me back too even with elite. Its all ridiculous to be honest.
  • full item EXP=100% success.
    Everything else becomes non issue.
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    SageWindu wrote: »

I can somewhat agree to this - as a Warframe player - but it's also important to allow people to have the option to take their chances and brute-force their way up to the top. It would be really bad to take that away from the people who want their BiS gear as soon as possible and are willing to throw the materials at it, in order to appease everyone on the other side of the fence. Doing it this way, allowing both, is good for both groups of people because then you'd give both of them what they want, but it also serves as a very good material/gold sink for the game.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would there be any way for us to know the opinion of the general Korean playerbase? These systems are mainly catered to them, after all. So they would be the ones with the voice to make a real change on it. As far as what I feel EME can do here in the West, they may be limited to mostly change the supply of materials.

Anyway, as I started hinting in my previous post, I'm seeing this trend to make these games much more difficult/grindy and generally much more restricting to reach and do end game. Go check Kritika. You can't even reach max level there without serious help or a TON of patience to solo it. It's like BHS suddenly decided to cater only to the ultra hardcore and the whales, since only those two groups don't have any problems with any content. Didn't they learn in business school that you should be friendly with everyone willing to use your product? >.<
  • edited November 2018
    Nopi wrote: »
    Didn't they learn in business school that you should be friendly with everyone willing to use your product? >.<

Well, although I totally agree with the point of this thread (item XP should allow you to get to 100% chance on all gear levels), you're also slanting it a bit too. Objectively speaking, nearly all the level 65 content in this game (at least 90%+ of it) actually is accessible without having to get HO gear, and they've added a lot of additional content that doesn't require it too; literally speaking, they're doing what you're saying. (They've even often made it so that the content that doesn't require it is more rewarding than the content that does, which is a whole other problem.) But for those who want to have BiS, they've made the grind nearly interminable so that these hardcore players "always have something to work on"; presumably they believe that a lot of players will quit once they reach the "end" of the gearing ladder (whether that's actually true or not, I don't know -- I'd love to see the data), so they made the ladder nearly impossible instead. (Again, want to emphasize that I do not agree with them at all.)
    Nopi wrote: »
    It's like BHS suddenly decided to cater only to the ultra hardcore and the whales, since only those two groups don't have any problems with any content.
    It's actually kind of the opposite, in a weird way. They've, for some reason, decided that BiS is something that most people should never get by design, and so most of the game actually caters to those who don't have it. (I bet they have some internal metric that less than 0.1% of players should have BiS and this is seen as success.) They've decided that, for people who really want it, the process should be as grindy and miserable as possible so that getting there is an "achievement" that sets them apart from the "casual scrubs" (though actually I question how much of an achievement good RNG really is).

I don't think this is just a BHS or EME thing either -- most other Korean MMOs released here have this very same end-game dynamic. Rather than "gear is a gate that lets you experience the content" they've basically decided that "getting gear is itself the content." It's basically a way of masking the lack of content and keeping the hardcore grinding for as long as possible so they don't "run out of things to do."

Anyway, like I said, I totally agree with the thread about enchanting, the insane costs, and the frustration of unending failures. In my mind, this just causes people to quit in frustration and then everyone loses. But I really think, to them, it's "working as intended" to keep people "locked out" of BiS. The philosophical gap here is an ocean that I don't know how to cross.
  • Nopi wrote: »
    Didn't they learn in business school that you should be friendly with everyone willing to use your product? >.<
    They've decided that, for people who really want it, the process should be as grindy and miserable as possible so that getting there is an "achievement" that sets them apart from the "casual scrubs" (though actually I question how much of an achievement good RNG really is).

It's really not, just in case there were any doubt. And I do say that in amicable terms to be clear.

In actuality, to most other players with lesser gear, better gear is just looked at as how much advantage you hold over them. The only person who would feel accomplishment is the individual, and in a game like this one, you tend to feel obligated to have the best possible gear or else you feel like you're pulling your punches because most of any given player's contemporaries will likely have the same.

Both the gearing and enhancement systems are more alike to an arms race than systems that confer "a sense of pride and accomplishment." If the non-inclusivity is intentional, then they certainly deserve to be as scrutinized as they've been.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    @counterpoint
    While all you said is nice and good as an explanation, the problem is that to access the top tier dungeons and do decently at them (and I'm not saying speed run record breaking runs, but just, to not die nor be a burden to the rest of the party), you need pretty high tier gear. THAT'S the gear my statement focus on as that is the gear people are having trouble with. Not BiS. We are talking about what is considered right now mid-high tier gear. We all agree only 3 people in the whole world should have maxed BiS (they should also be given a super bright aura and a god-like floating animation and everyone else be forced into a kneel and bend animation wherever these guys walk about among us mortals, but that's for another thread lel). Though the problem here is that the gear needed to JUST access them dungeons has become much grindier than before in the VM days, where I could derp my way into mid tier gear and make my character able to enter 100% of the dungeon list. Never before in what I've seen of Tera, did I see mid tier gear that is so grindy to get. Even getting FM is a chore that needs much more dedication than before.

Now. I don't want Tera to go back to the old simple and easy to dungeon days. Access to a higher tier dungeon should also be earned, and that's a good thing BHS did. But there are two things happening here. First. The change was quick, as if BHS turned on a switch and poof! grindiness everywhere. People were more or less caught off guard despite all the announcements. And two, having so many people unable to access the content they want to access and them just being gated by RNG is extremely unfair. Right now, I see a lot of players still below i-level 450, though I can say your average dungeon player may be sitting on 452-454, with a moderate group on 454-455. I have yet to see a 456+ player but I may just be unlucky (Haven't seen a HO+3 piece either). These numbers come from what I've seen around by checking players on HW so others may have slightly different data.

As I said, EME can't do much about changing the system, since the game should be pretty much the same experience mechanic-wise everywhere. But they can help with mat supply so people don't feel SO bad when failing the rng game again and again. So while the game shouldn't make it easy to get maxed BiS, players are still needed to run those last few dungeons. And they can't do it if RNG begins to bother them well before even thinking about BiS.