[PC] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/15 at 6am PDT, and have an expected downtime of 5 hours. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/terapcmaintenance
[PS4/XB1] Due to an error, we have extended current events (such as dungeon highlights) by one day. The new end time is now 10/15 at 0500 UTC. Thanks for your patience!

is it worth playing with controller on pc or better off with console?

I have both pc and ps4 and I want to play on pc but my hand is injured and I won't be able to play with keyboard and mouse for a very long time my question is it worth playing with controller on pc?
will I be able to clear endgame content and enjoy it?
am I better off with console version even with all the issues people reporting?

Best Answers

• VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I mean, there are people on PC who play with controller who run content...it's all a matter of getting used to it

Do you like how controller works on PC and can play properly with that? then go for it

Do you prefer how controller plays on Console and able to play better on that? then go for console
  • XyythXyyth
    Accepted Answer
    I have a level 20 at the moment on console and I haven't had any issues. I like to controller layout.

PC with controller needs to follow suit.

Answers

• ok I will give pc version a go download it and see how it goes I am sorry if the post seemed to be pointless just don't want to invest in pc and the end not being good enough I mean in regards to controller
  • allofspaceandtimeallofspaceandtime ✭✭✭✭✭
    ive been playing tera with a controller ever since it went free to play, and I don't have any problems with it at all. being disabled doesn't allow me to use the keyboard and mouse. once you get your skills laid out like you want them, it is really good. I don't understand why people bash the controller when they play console games with a controller. take the time to assign skills to your buttons on your controller and play with it a bit and then decide for yourself.
  • edited April 2018
    I don't understand why people bash the controller when they play console games with a controller. take the time to assign skills to your buttons on your controller and play with it a bit and then decide for yourself.

The controller layout on TERA PC is serviceable, but honestly not very intuitive. You don't get very good visibility of how your skills align to buttons, and the UI is still very mouse-centric. (It doesn't help that it has a memory leak that affects many controller types as well.) It's something you can make work, absolutely, but the new layout on the console game is much more controller-friendly.

I use a controller on a lot of PC games, but never could enjoy it on TERA PC -- but TERA Console works well for me. So I do think it would be good for them to at least bring over that UI/control scheme as an option, if they can. But that doesn't mean that people cannot use what's there now. I'm sure some will even prefer it if it makes more sense for them.
  • I agree 100%. I'm playing on both console and PC because my friend only has PC. Playing the PC version on both controller and keyboard and mouse is a pain in the [filtered] as it is right now. I was hoping my friend would get sick of it so I could go back to my solo game on console. The controls on PC are that bad.
  • 56EA59L4EL56EA59L4EL Internet
    I just dusted off my PC acct and the PC controller support is garbage in comparison. However, because the console version works so well, it makes it far easier than the PC version, which is almost unbearable!
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand why people bash the controller when they play console games with a controller. take the time to assign skills to your buttons on your controller and play with it a bit and then decide for yourself.

The controller layout on TERA PC is serviceable, but honestly not very intuitive. You don't get very good visibility of how your skills align to buttons, and the UI is still very mouse-centric. (It doesn't help that it has a memory leak that affects many controller types as well.) It's something you can make work, absolutely, but the new layout on the console game is much more controller-friendly.

I use a controller on a lot of PC games, but never could enjoy it on TERA PC -- but TERA Console works well for me. So I do think it would be good for them to at least bring over that UI/control scheme as an option, if they can. But that doesn't mean that people cannot use what's there now. I'm sure some will even prefer it if it makes more sense for them.

At least on previous system (no time to play anything right now...) in therms of intuitive I would say it's a mixed bag: actions all show up to press F OR RT (on Xbox controller), it shows what button to press for confirmation or denial and such, and the little controller at the bottom that showed what key press does what was pretty nice, but incomplete. Adding skills to the bar was guesswork tho, and you had to try where it went with RB/LB.
    Not to mention the mouse pointer thingy that was honestly quite intuitive (once you test it 1st, it becomes sorta logic), but not really optimized for prolonged use. As far as it was, I would say 5/10, hope it got better.
    Playing itself, controlling character and using skills, I can't see it getting much worse than that one C button messed up so it controls very well, for me it was a solid 9/10 until they messed character/camera direction selection to forced fixed stuff, now 7/10.

If controller use on console is significantly different, then it does require trying both for a while to see what is better.
  • I like playing with controller on PC. Once you figure out how to map your skills so that everything flows it is really enjoyable. I do use the mouse occasionally for some actions. I didn't even get off of Stepstone Island in the console version before the game softlocked and I never bothered going back so I can't really say how the console controls feel. Also at that time Ninja wasn't available so I was trying a different class.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't mind the 1.5-year or so gap between the PC and console versions, go ahead and stay on console. PC-TERA's UI is still very much centered around the usage of K&M, even more so with the recent update that removed the Main 3 skill slot on the hotbar (it essentially removed a button). Performing simple actions like navigating menus is a pain if you're not comfortable with using the right analog stick to do so (again hindered by the UI rework as the main menu was greatly consolidated to accommodate). And, of course, no active lock-on option.

PC-TERA has a dedicated jump option though. So there's that, I guess.

Long and short, if you're intimately familiar with how things handle on console, you're going to hate how PC-TERA handles controller support (and yet still not worse than B&S, if you can believe that).
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, another thing is that in PC-TERA, you're mapping both the controls and the skills to the hotbar. In PS4-/XB1-TERA, you're mapping skills directly to the controls themselves and thus have a lot more options.
  • Tenshi1Tenshi1 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing with controller on PC for years, even a priest/mystic, and had little issue, although I found the console to be easier
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a Necro thread from April (and I just slightly un-necroed it again from november 29), but I still wanted to say that I played with an xbox 360 pad and currently a Steam controller. All I can say is that you will still need your m+kb nearby and at the ready for certain things, but at least combat can be done with the controller alone.
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Nopi wrote: »
    This is a Necro thread from April (and I just slightly un-necroed it again from november 29), but I still wanted to say that I played with an xbox 360 pad and currently a Steam controller. All I can say is that you will still need your m+kb nearby and at the ready for certain things, but at least combat can be done with the controller alone.

kek only saw it now that it was a necro, attention 1/10

*Specially text is pretty much impossible (is it even possible with some weird workarounds or downright impossible?), and interface is definitely faster with the mouse.

How does the Steam controller handle tho? I can't imagine it given it's two huge touchpad/button combo things (or what are they?), and the normal buttons bellow, how do you cast skills on it?
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    ElinLove wrote: »
    Nopi wrote: »

kek only saw it now that it was a necro, attention 1/10

*Specially text is pretty much impossible (is it even possible with some weird workarounds or downright impossible?), and interface is definitely faster with the mouse.

How does the Steam controller handle tho? I can't imagine it given it's two huge touchpad/button combo things (or what are they?), and the normal buttons bellow, how do you cast skills on it?

i use the Steam controller pretty much as an over glorified xbox gamepad. In fact, that's pretty much how the game will detect it and auto bind some buttons too. The only important touchpad to note is the one used for camera. The other touchpad is used for d-pad. The main difference between Steam controller and other gamepads is that it can be further customized, though it also comes with it's limits because some weird binds the game has.

For example, to speak to NPCs that have multiple dialogue pages, you still need to either press F on your kb or click on the "next" screen button with your mouse. Apparently, the initial interact is a separate entity from the regular F bind or something. Meaning, even if you bind both Interact and F to the same button on your Steam game pad, using it to read, for example, NPC text with multiple pages will not be possible, since what will happen is that the dialogue will keep reverting to the first page. Removing the Interact bind wasn't much better as it also ended in wonky responses. So I kept Interact alone (still serves to pick up items and whatnot) and bound F to come from double tapping the camera touchpad.

Other than that, the grip buttons are a godsend. The steam controller's shape is one that needs quite a bit of time to get used to, and the shoulder bumpers may be a tad hard to access. So I for the most part, used the grip buttons to act as my secondary bumpers. I do this swap for most any game that uses an xbox layout.

Last bit of advice for anyone wanting to get this controller. This piece of hardware is extremely delicate. I'm on my second controller already because my first pad fell to the floor once, and that was enough for it to lose two buttons. So yeah, delicate thing. Other than that, this is a gamepad design I don't feel like changing soon.