Late november suggestion -- remove 5 second wait on change channel

I went through this before, I think it would be great if EME could remove the 5 second wait when you change channel. it's initial purpose got lost when open world PvP was pretty much hacked down to nothing so i believe it's less optimal to have it. on the otherhand, more players would benefit with this not there by not having to wait 5 seconds each time someone changes channel. 5 second may seem short but it does add up in the long run. i've had to change channels many times, especially during events when searching for that optimal channel to look for event creatures, and in this case where i'm dedicating myself to take my time to participate and go hunt, the 5 second wait is definitely something that hinders my dedication. Another thing to consider is the fact that many players are already heavily delayed with transitions from one zone to another zone or perhaps one channel to another channel due to the loading screens. not everyone is able to afford an SSD and even with a good SSD it does tend to take awhile to load. while on average it takes me 3-5 seconds, other times it can take up to 15-20 seconds at each loading screen. i can't imagine how it is palying on an HDD. this is also why many prefer dungeons to transport players from one location to another rather than having a teleportal which forces the player to run through a loading screen. having the additional 5 second on top of this really slows down progress.

Thank you for reading !

tl;dr -- remove 5 second wait on change channel
- 5 second wait lost its purpose when PvP died
- loading screens can take loading than 5 seconds which is at least double the wait

Comments

• DL7MMWLJ3WDL7MMWLJ3W ✭✭✭✭
    And I'm going to say this again on your previous thread about this.

Leave it alone.

I don't trust EME making something that's not even important right now. It could potentially break something in the game and it's not worth the risk. I would go as far as something like this could affect server stability or whatever. Since things are okayish as it is right now, let's leave it like that and no run the risk of screwing it up for everyone.

That's all that needs to be said.
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    DL7MMWLJ3W wrote: »

Leave it alone.

I don't trust EME making something that's not even important right now. It could potentially break something in the game and it's not worth the risk. I would go as far as something like this could affect server stability or whatever. Since things are okayish as it is right now, let's leave it like that and no run the risk of screwing it up for everyone.

That's not all that needs to be said. it's a reasonable change and just because you don't see a reason for it doesn't mean it doesn't have to be.
  • DL7MMWLJ3W wrote: »

Leave it alone.

^^^^
  • Is there any other version of the game where the delay is different? (As in, do we even know if this is something publishers can change?)
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well. Before going into the part about being possible or not, let me say I like the convenience of faster transitions. Who wouldn't like to get into gaming faster? But, I'd also have to fall in line with the rest of the posters in wondering if it's possible for the region itself to do it. It's possible from the technical side, but would BHS allow it? From what I understand, BHS wants the game experience to be as similar as possible in all regions, with the most notable differences being events and how easy or difficult it is to gear up. The rest of the game should be the same for everyone.
  • The SEA version doesn't have the 5 second cooldown dialog box when changing channels. With that said though, the game client and how it loads data/assets (you can thank Bluehole's cracked development teams for their incredible ability for tweaking and optimizing /s) doesn't help any. You still get the loading screen which really isn't due to loading in new assets from disk when you are in the exact same zone though.

I tried it both here and on the SEA server and both took roughly 10 seconds in Velika switching from channel 1 to 10 and seems more to do with the other data that gets preloaded/purged (like other players in/not in that channel). It wouldn't surprise me if the client still attempts to unload some textures (to save memory) and then reloads them though... I also noticed TERA never did benefit much from the game being on SSD or HD (may gain some speed with an SSD but not as substantial overall).

I'm not sure if the cooldown can be manipulated by EME though like say a simple data center configuration change (probably not else a mod would've long been in existence by now) so it might require an actual change to the client code by Bluehole.

P.S. (slightly off-topic) for those who don't know, Bluehole has undergone another organizational change just a few days ago. The corporate side has now officially changed its name to Krafton. The dev/design studio subsidiary (which previously mirrored the corporate name change like when the corporate side went from Bluehole Studio to simply Bluehole) which handles both TERA and A:IR will still be known as Bluehole though (this will make it easier to delineate talk between corporate operations versus the development side). All of the companies development subsidiaries as well as the sole publishing unit EME (currently all under the Bluehole Alliance umbrella) will now be a part of the Krafton Game Union where the objective is similar as before; they operate independently as their own business units BUT with a big difference compared to before; there is a new emphasis on sharing design/development resources, communication, ideas, and cooperation as needed in order for Krafton to be more competitive in the global market (this is their PR spiel by the way which I don't buy into even 50%).

To bring it slightly back on-topic though, since TERA is pretty much the only PC title that is relevant to EME in this new union/alliance (since A:IR is going to be handled by Kakao, PUBG is under the PUBG Corp subsidiary, and the rest of the studios are pretty much mobile), there might be some opportunity IF this isn't just PR hot air to make the new Krafton corporation look better as an M&A target. I guess we will see in the coming months as this directive comes down to even EME and how they will manage TERA.
  • seraphinushseraphinush ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Is there any other version of the game where the delay is different? (As in, do we even know if this is something publishers can change?)
    The SEA version doesn't have the 5 second cooldown dialog box when changing channels.
    Yes, KR doesn't have any cooldown between channels and from the comment by "LordMurasama" it seems SEA/TH doesn't have it either. Nonetheless i'm not sure if it's something EME can change, but as far as i know about the cooldown it seems it was implemented by EME at some point early into the publishing service .. for some outdated PvP reason.
    Nopi wrote: »
    .. would BHS allow it? From what I understand, BHS wants the game experience to be as similar as possible in all regions, ..
    If the goat for BHS was to make sure discrepancies between builds for all regions be as small as possible, and KR is set to be the reference point, then yes BHS would want to remove the 5 second wait between changing channels. Otherwise, it is additional work for BHS to add on the 5 second wait, regardless of whether it is done in constant time or not.
    You still get the loading screen which really isn't due to loading in new assets from disk when you are in the exact same zone though.
    As far as i know, you're supposed to get loading screens when you change channels in the same zone. i believe you might have misunderstood when i said people would prefer to have dungeons that simply move you from one boss area to another, since having to use a teleportal is a constant time wait for the teleportal to "load" and the loading screen itself can as short as 2 seconds on high-end PCs to 15-20 seconds, even 30 seconds on bad ones. obviously getting a better PC helps, but not everyone can afford that. *add : .. whereas having no teleportal and simply walking to one boss area to another doesn't have that extra load.

And thanks for that extra info on BHS was interesting.

Saying EME shouldn't do anything because EME is incompetent doesn't help. if that's what you believe, then EME shouldn't do anything -- no events, no sales, no support and simply publish the game as it is given to them by BHS.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    DL7MMWLJ3W wrote: »

Leave it alone.

Removing the delay would just be how it is in KR, and "server" issues are rarely server issues. It's mostly greedy internet service providers doing what they do best, charging everyone a ton of money for low quality service in order to charge everyone more money to not get worse service than we already paid for. It's why large businesses don't see as many issues as smaller ones.