[TERA Console] Maintenance to deploy the v86.01 update is scheduled for Monday, September 14 at 7 p.m. PT. Patch notes: http://bit.ly/terac_v86
[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

About the new "event"

Comments

• 6AWC3DP9PR6AWC3DP9PR ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    HLK76PFWXT wrote: »
    snip

I like a lot of what you've said as well. Looking back, we were seriously privileged when +9SC was best-in-slot because RKE would drop I believe 3-5(?) Essence, and then we would very frequently have double and triple drop events to throw a ton of attempts at the gear, plus 3% correction versus 2% of what is now best-in-slot.

The new gearing system, then, was good because the cost wasn't too bad compared to our material supply, and the dungeon we got it from was not as inaccessible as Bahaar's Sanctum and to an extent Grotto.

It's actually become quite the popular opinion that the old gearing system was better as of the introduction of additional Heroic Oath enchantment levels because individual attempts for Awakened enchantment were very cheap. And, roughly speaking, it would have taken some seriously poor luck for the cost to scale to what is even a few failures per the new system. Plus, we had that many more players running content to drive down the costs of feedstock and alkahest.

It's one thing for enchantment to be made harder to attempt, but it's another to do that while at the same time notably increasing the difficulty of the content that yields the materials we need. I think if I had to choose between difficulty spiking or higher materials costs, I would choose the latter for a more inclusive game, but Bluehole appears to have opted to do both, and so the consequences on the playerbase in morale and in number have been multiplicative.
  • They have divided the community in ilvl. In the past you'd have people asking for +15 people to run dungeons, because everyone had the ilvl to do it. Now the dungeon itself is limiting people from doing content, and gearing towards the top tier dungeons is harder than ever.

It's a horrible thing to make HO a requirement taken how hard it is to even upgrade SC. SC should be endgame gear and HO should be for min-maxers that are rolling on gold and can afford to have it, but they've made super hard to get gear, that's REQUIRED for endgame practically, so it's not an achievement or something to show off, it's needed.

So having events to gear up people in FM and below is just a slap in the face to those people that play the game regularly. Even a casual player that logs in for 2-3 hours a day can have FM gear in less than a week, so really this event only helps out people that aren't even lvl 65. And even then, people will reach SC quickly, and then have useless FM mats piling up, and all of a sudden there's this HUGE WALL to upgrade SC that can't even be compared to upgrading FM with scrolls or the little amount of mats required to do so.

I'd love to know what kind of players they target in this event, only players that play 2 times a week for a few hours can benefit from this, and not even that much considering the success chance of enchanting. Plus the mats required to upgrade TS and FM are nothing to go crazy about, people don't mind farming to upgrade those gear pieces, it's not expensive at all and really the boost people can get with scrolls from the event is very little. EME could add those scrolls to the core game forever and nothing would change.
  • TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭
    Based12 wrote: »
    I'd love to know what kind of players they target in this event

I'd like to know this too. The rewards seem to be aimed at players with lower level gear, but the drop rate in the dungeons those players can run is abysmal. The drop rate doesn't seem to pick up until after you're geared past needing them.

So it's for players who already have endgame gear to gear up new alts quickly?
  • HLK76PFWXTHLK76PFWXT ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Based12 wrote: »

I'd love to know what kind of players they target in this event

Good question.

If the event is meant to mainly help the new/returning and casual players to catch up a little then the common boxes should also drop from solo dungeons such as Ghillieglade and Pit of Petrax? And if the aim was again to help those players then there should be no downgrade system for the Frostmetal gear which is pretty much low tier at this point in time with Stormcry being mid tier and Heroic Oath top tier? And if the event was meant to also help the more active players then the Rare boxes should not be locked beyond certain dungeons that require 446ilevel?

Anyway, i cannot say that the event is that bad since i got some pretty nice enchants on various characters but that downgrade system is definitely not tasty..
  • edited December 2018
    SageWindu wrote: »
    (lots of info)

Are you implying that one of the major reasons for material drops and allocation being scaled back was actually because we were progressing too fast? I'm having a hard time understanding why that matters, unless it's the usual "The hardcore players will get bored!" nonsense.

I think it's more simply because this is the way BHS made the game, and today's EME thinks (or was told) it's not their place to second-guess the game developers for fundamental game balance aspects like this (just to send along player feedback). I would say that the game developers believe this current progression pace is normal. But I also think they generally want the game to be more grindy (and certainly much more RNG) than people in this market like, and they certainly don't reflect the cultural difference well.

Today's EME does add events that have a small/measured impact on various things (like the extra drops in DS, for example, and all the regular rotating events). And I would say, within those sorts of constraints, they've been very responsive to doing what they're able to do. But the days of making big permanent changes, altering built-in reward systems, adjusting permanent drop tables, or intentionally making high-end progression faster/easier seem to be gone (at least for now?).

Of course, they might still run some event at some point that is more focused on high-end gearing than this one was, but I don't expect anything "game-changing."
  • What bothers me is that even if your item exp is maxed out, it is still like opening a lootbox for the item you want when it comes to +'ing your gear.

It is quite discouraging when 10's or 100's of thousands of gold and mats just *poof* into nothing because the gear peice did not plus up a level..
  • missin the old EME right now qq
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    (lots of info)

Are you implying that one of the major reasons for material drops and allocation being scaled back was actually because we were progressing too fast? I'm having a hard time understanding why that matters, unless it's the usual "The hardcore players will get bored!" nonsense.

I think it's more simply because this is the way BHS made the game, and today's EME thinks (or was told) it's not their place to second-guess the game developers for fundamental game balance aspects like this (just to send along player feedback). I would say that the game developers believe this current progression pace is normal. But I also think they generally want the game to be more grindy (and certainly much more RNG) than people in this market like, and they certainly don't reflect the cultural difference well.

Today's EME does add events that have a small/measured impact on various things (like the extra drops in DS, for example, and all the regular rotating events). And I would say, within those sorts of constraints, they've been very responsive to doing what they're able to do. But the days of making big permanent changes, altering built-in reward systems, adjusting permanent drop tables, or intentionally making high-end progression faster/easier seem to be gone (at least for now?).

Of course, they might still run some event at some point that is more focused on high-end gearing than this one was, but I don't expect anything "game-changing."

Then BHS should be rather angry at how GF is managing their region.
  • Nopi wrote: »
    (lots of info)

Yeah, it really doesn't make sense. GF is free to enact their interpretation of how core progression items can be obtained, yet for some reason, EME isn't. Maybe its an order from BHS, and they haven't caught up with GF yet (I think GF only started doing that in RK patch? idk). Or, maybe BHS is just a scapegoat, and EME believes they'll get better revenue from following the korean freemium/grind-your-life-away model. Hard to tell tbh.
  • tisnotmetisnotme ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    > @Nopi said:
    > counterpoint wrote: »
    >
    > SageWindu wrote: »
    >
    > counterpoint wrote: »
    >
    > (lots of info)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Are you implying that one of the major reasons for material drops and allocation being scaled back was actually because we were progressing too fast? I'm having a hard time understanding why that matters, unless it's the usual "The hardcore players will get bored!" nonsense.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I think it's more simply because this is the way BHS made the game, and today's EME thinks (or was told) it's not their place to second-guess the game developers for fundamental game balance aspects like this (just to send along player feedback). I would say that the game developers believe this current progression pace is normal. But I also think they generally want the game to be more grindy (and certainly much more RNG) than people in this market like, and they certainly don't reflect the cultural difference well.
    >
    > Today's EME does add events that have a small/measured impact on various things (like the extra drops in DS, for example, and all the regular rotating events). And I would say, within those sorts of constraints, they've been very responsive to doing what they're able to do. But the days of making big permanent changes, altering built-in reward systems, adjusting permanent drop tables, or intentionally making high-end progression faster/easier seem to be gone (at least for now?).
    >
    > Of course, they might still run some event at some point that is more focused on high-end gearing than this one was, but I don't expect anything "game-changing."
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Then BHS should be rather angry at how GF is managing their region.

Angry - maybe
    Able to push their weight around when they don't have any part ownership (as such) and it still brings them money - probably not
  • edited December 2018
    Vulcarion wrote: »
    Nopi wrote: »
    (lots of info)

Yeah, it really doesn't make sense. GF is free to enact their interpretation of how core progression items can be obtained, yet for some reason, EME isn't. Maybe its an order from BHS, and they haven't caught up with GF yet (I think GF only started doing that in RK patch? idk). Or, maybe BHS is just a scapegoat, and EME believes they'll get better revenue from following the korean freemium/grind-your-life-away model. Hard to tell tbh.

I don't think it's about freedom or anything, it's about workload, and in the end I'm sure BHS cares most about results (so it's not like BHS will be mad as long as they're making money). It's not like GF only made progression easier and that's it. They added extreme content to the game, and created cash shop items that leveraged the extreme content. So they created an entire "custom balance" for the game (and economy) that still made money and retained customers. But that's an awful lot of money invested on GF's side to almost make their own version of the game. As far as I know, none of the other publishers worldwide are doing that (at least, not to that degree).

Every company has to choose where it makes sense to invest their time/resources for maximum RoI. In the case of EME, where they're a sister-company to BHS, having people in the Korean office do work and have someone in the North American office do work to undo/alter that work (and keep up with those changes every subsequent build) could easily be seen as a waste of money. I imagine EME would rather their employees spend time doing the things only they can do, not doing things BHS should be doing.

Of course, none of that explanation makes the situation better for us players, so please don't take this as a justification or "defense" of what they're doing. I would *really like* if they made a custom build of TERA that addressed in particular the borderline-obsession BHS has with RNG slot machines in nearly every aspect of progression, which makes everything hateful. Technically speaking they have the ability to do it, and so that's what makes the fact they're not more frustrating. But in the end, this is why I said that the point that really matters here is reinforcing clearly the pain points for what we've got. If the pain gets strong enough, and the effect is visible enough on the metrics (money, playtime, logins, etc.) sooner or later they'll have to find some way of addressing it. We don't really need to care who fixes it, just keep pushing for it to be fixed. Up to them to figure out how.
  • This is how i see this:

En Masse has a certain point of view about business and at least i cannot say that they are wrong or right ( they have limited resources and they are probably trying their best to make everything work on their part .. though this affects us as a players in a certain way and i am going to stop here ).

What really happens is that the game itself is the type of game that usually gets a small investment from the developer ( the gender lock with the PvE content being recycled happened for a reason ) with the hope to make as much profit as possible and invest all that profit into other games that get a low investment and again make as much profit as possible ( we should probably be happy that we are able to get any attention for our PC version and more over since it existed for so many years already ). I mean, this kind of business is like building a cheap car with second hand parts and using it as a taxi until it breaks then repair it and use it again as a taxi then repair it and use it again as a taxi then repair it and use it as a taxi then repair it until it breaks and finally sell it for scrap metal and build another car with second hand materials to use it as a taxi.

This kind of business model existed in our world for many decades and BHS is not the first to take this route.

What happens with Gameforge is that they seem to believe that Tera PC is a valuable gem that can bring so much more profit if polished properly and it is much more worth to do that instead of using it as a second hand car for Taxi... But sadly, they need to do a titanic effort to keep up with the real actions from BHS like making Heroic Oath so very expensive or splitting the gear into PvP and PvE which might kill the non equalized battlegrounds because the PvErs might not want to grind Heroic Oath for PvE which is already so very exausting then grind another similar set -in terms of difficulty at least- for PvP .. So the queues for non equalized might take hours again.

We will have to see.. But at least... the EU version is so much more enjoyable that it makes me jealous.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Vulcarion GF has had elleons tokens since 2016, it's just that with the gearing revamp patch they became more worth it
  • spungspung ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Not sure why people comparing GF to EME.
    GF is an independent publisher. That means they can modify the game under their own discretion without foot stepping what BHS dictates. So long they pay them royalties from the items sold in their shop, BHS don't have a nay saying.

That of course isn't the same with EME which is 100% owned by BHS. Since the model seems to work pretty well for them all these years, they would never risk making radical changes that could potentially ruin what they built.
  • NopiNopi ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    snip

Then as I said before, dwindling NA population and revenue will be the result of their reluctance to work with the region's specific wants and needs. Yes, it's a Korean game, but we are not Korean players, and despite us all being human beings, Koreans prefer (or are simply accustomed to) a different play style that we don't much like over here. BHS knows that already. It's not that the general population hates gamble boxes (I abhor them but that's just me), but the over abundance of RNG in nearly everything simply tires the heart and causes people to give up.

GF invested and played a gamble based on what they thought their region would benefit most, and so far they are having good results. For how long? We don't know. But for now they can ride that wave of mild success. While here in NA people keep voicing and voicing and letting the publisher know that this isn't the game NA wants, yet it all seems to fall on deaf ears. So what is left for people to do? To move on. In the end, this is entertainment, and there's plenty of it out there. In 2018, I thought devs and publishers didn't need examples to let them know how vulnerable their companies can be if they fail to deliver.

Oh, and I also want to add. Despite the negativity on my comments, I well understand EME and BHS are composed of people doing a job, and I want to believe most of them are trying their best to do it. Also, they are humans with feelings and I know some will feel bad when their work is criticized like this and by different people. Which is why I always throw my two cents with respect and in the end, wanting for better outcomes.