[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Patch notes: Elite changes

Ok, the changes to the Travel Journal and the addition of EP boost are welcomed, specially the Travel journal.

However, i must bring again the topic: When are we gonna get the promised Elite rework? Do i need to compare our Elite with the EU one?
Our elite is vastly outdated compared to theirs, and we been asking for some kind of change for years now.

Remove the Gold hunter booster: This is ultimately useless. NO ONE farms gold from monster drops, they hardly drop any or none at all. Doing your daily Vanguards net you a lot more gold. This elite benefit is there just to take space. Either remove it or change it for something actually useful.

The idea behind the Elite daily gift box was nice at first, but now, it doesn't feel like is worth it. in EU, you have an item that makes farming Ghilleglade actually relevant. Either bring that feature or similar here to replace the daily gift box, or merge it with it, or simply rework the contents of the box. Getting 5 golden talents as a gift really doesn't feel like a gift.

To save on some space on the elite bar, you could like, Combine the double exp booster and the double item exp booster into a single passive benefit. I guess that most ppl just forget the elite bar has a item exp booster, and forget to turn it on. Make it easier for us and just merge it with the exp booster.

100% gold quest booster and 100% rep booster are just relics of the past to me. They used to be really great when farming gold and reputation back when we had daily quests with different factions like Ivalesco and Hands of Velika, but really, who uses those anymore? when most of the cosmetic rewards you can get from them, are available from the Fashion coupons? if not all? and the gold rewards were slash and burned too. How about you turn that into a Vanguard boost to increase the amount of Vanguard quests elites can get a day?

Can we have a proper update on the Elite status? I believe its already due time. Thank you.

Comments

• We need a mount change, Been on this big yellow bird going on 3 months now.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    KXRC9JMW74 wrote: »
    We need a mount change, Been on this big yellow bird going on 3 months now.

The mount has been rotating periodically. Initially, they said it would rotate on a monthly basis. That never happened, and now it rotates pretty much when they feel like rotating it (or so it feels)
    I kept saying and will keep saying, that the Elite mount should be something that screams Elite, something that would make players more likely to use it instead of using the other mounts. And no, a golden re color of an existing mount, does not scream Elite. (do not repeat the 1% drama)

Additionally, i forgot to mention another useless benefit our elite has, and that is Double Daily quests. As with the 100% gold hunter, quester and reputation boosters, this is a relic of the past. It was nice in the past because it allowed Elite players to farm more gold with the old daily quests, but now that those are slashed and burned, and all of its rewards (with the exception of vastly outdated jewelry and old useless materials) are now in the Fashion Coupon shop.
  • ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭
    Better yet, they could start adding better gold drops to monsters and BAMs, to make the gold boosts mean something.
  • edited December 2018
    Christin wrote: »
    Better yet, they could start adding better gold drops to monsters and BAMs, to make the gold boosts mean something.

Won't because of botting, as they explained in the patch notes for the recent K-TERA changes (where they did it another way that is also problematic/silly).

To the topic at hand... while I do think they should clean up some of these things that annoy people (like the gold boost), if I had to prioritize I wouldn't say that Elite is the most important thing that needs improvement right now. With the 15 EMP daily and the other changes made over the last while (including these latest changes), the value of Elite has improved.

Daily gift values could be bumped up (particularly things like talents), but I am pretty sure that no matter what they do it'll never feel that "special" given that it's being dished out in 30 increments. (If you divide the Elite price over 30 days and subtract the 450 EMP, it's about $0.35/day, and the daily gift box is only one of the many Elite features.) If they gave you the entire gift in one shot it'd feel more "significant" but they can't because of partial duration Elite (1-day, 3-day, 7-day, etc.). If they gave enough so that each day felt special, over the course of 30 days it would probably be OP. So there's a proper balance to be found here -- it's probably not there now (contents have been bumped up before), but I think it shouldn't go overboard either.

In the end, improving Elite is good and I'm okay with some of the changes proposed, but maintaining a proper balance with F2P is also important. Personally, I don't want Elite to become too over-the-top either (beyond how things like free broker listings already are). It needs to remain a "nice-to-have" as much as possible, in my opinion. I'm not sure that I would say the modest improvements required really need a full revamp based on all the changes they've already done.

(Incidentally, they are just introducing some Elite changes in K-TERA that change how dungeon entries work, so I imagine that will probably also come to our region in a few months time.)
  • If they use their head to think instead of just for hair they would see that improving Elite would lead to more people buying elite which leads to more money being made. It's not rocket science! :thinking:
  • The subscription system has to appeal to the public audience. Star Wars: The Old Republic and The Elder Scrolls Online have nailed that practice. While it's possible to play the game without the optional subscription, players will still be attracted towards that method due to all the offerings and potential.

This is not the case for Elite here. I have never ever considered subscribing to this service, and just like the OP mentioned, the EU counterpart is far better in comparison. There has to be variety and the player needs to feel like their purchase was worthwhile.
  • PartyblastPartyblast ✭✭✭✭
    Zoknahal wrote: »
    100% gold quest booster and 100% rep booster are just relics of the past to me.

Hold up there buddy I wanna stop you right there.

Gold Boost yea, we don't hand in many quests and could probably do without the boost on those quests.

Rep Boost however applies to VG, not Legion Credits oddly enough but whatever, but VANGUARD CREDITS. Even if you want to say the VG Shop is useless it still is something people actually use, and it doubles the amount of credits you'd get from a VG hand-in.
  • Crit dragon and dakuryon pet on the toolbar plz.

Elites main issues are useless bloat and no reason to stay subbed. Trash buffs and a tiny amount of emp isn't going to cut it.
    Bring back account wide costumes and accessories. Tie it to elite. The more months you're subbed, the more goodies you get.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    DarJir wrote: »
    Crit dragon and dakuryon pet on the toolbar plz.

Elites main issues are useless bloat and no reason to stay subbed. Trash buffs and a tiny amount of emp isn't going to cut it.
    Bring back account wide costumes and accessories. Tie it to elite. The more months you're subbed, the more goodies you get.

They used to do a monthly Elite gift, which usually was a costume or a bundle of accessories, worth around 10 dollars. That stopped the moment a lot of players complained they couldn't make money out of the free cosmetics because they were everywhere. It died once the free gift became the infamous Elite Jewel Bag.
  • edited December 2018
    Maulclaw wrote: »
    The subscription system has to appeal to the public audience. Star Wars: The Old Republic and The Elder Scrolls Online have nailed that practice. While it's possible to play the game without the optional subscription, players will still be attracted towards that method due to all the offerings and potential.

I don't know if they changed it within the last year, but honestly I didn't feel the way they did it with SWTOR was fair. F2P was way too gimped -- as you say "it was possible" to play as F2P, but it was way too obvious that you're playing a severely restricted game. I mean, sure, that causes people to want to subscribe (and so it's probably tempting for game companies to do that), but it stretches the definition of F2P. I don't want them to change things in TERA so that it feels like the only way you can play the game "as intended" is to subscribe to Elite, even if it would increase subscription sales. (Of course, this may be why I don't work for a F2P gaming company; not greedy enough...)

(To be clear, I am definitely in favor of improving Elite, but not if it means ruining the balance between subscriber and F2P just to drum up more sales.)
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Of course, this may be why I don't work for a F2P gaming company; not greedy enough...)
    Oddly enough, being less greedy actually creates a better game. League of Legends as a successful f2p game had extremely low money spent per player to the point larger devs+publishers like EA were laughing at Riot, even though none of them has been able to release a successful "Game as a service" yet.

Most publishers and developers are just forced into quarterly sales rather than long term gains, which causes features to be cut, early releases, and the over reliance on either pay to win, or excessive RNG.
  • Yamazuki wrote: »
    (Of course, this may be why I don't work for a F2P gaming company; not greedy enough...)
    Oddly enough, being less greedy actually creates a better game. League of Legends as a successful f2p game had extremely low money spent per player to the point larger devs+publishers like EA were laughing at Riot, even though none of them has been able to release a successful "Game as a service" yet.

Most publishers and developers are just forced into quarterly sales rather than long term gains, which causes features to be cut, early releases, and the over reliance on either pay to win, or excessive RNG.

Well, part of it is economies of scale too. You can afford a low spend/player when you have millions upon millions of players all the time. Even in the absolute best possible world, TERA can't reach those heights -- cost/player for an MMO is higher, and TERA itself is just way more niche. It's not entirely "if you build it, they will come" either, unfortunately -- even if they had made all the right decisions, TERA was never going to have that kind of reach.

That being said, I do think one of TERA's strengths traditionally has been one of the more fair F2P models in the MMO scene, and I just want to make sure that this gets preserved when the tendency could be to just overload Elite to the point where it feels "mandatory" for people.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yamazuki wrote: »

Well, part of it is economies of scale too. You can afford a low spend/player when you have millions upon millions of players all the time. Even in the absolute best possible world, TERA can't reach those heights -- cost/player for an MMO is higher, and TERA itself is just way more niche. It's not entirely "if you build it, they will come" either, unfortunately -- even if they had made all the right decisions, TERA was never going to have that kind of reach.

That being said, I do think one of TERA's strengths traditionally has been one of the more fair F2P models in the MMO scene, and I just want to make sure that this gets preserved when the tendency could be to just overload Elite to the point where it feels "mandatory" for people.

Riot's model had been the same even before getting millions on a global scale, all that changed overtime was the addition of loot boxes, although they list the rates and you have the option of buying anything directly and the mission system [recent]. Their success wasn't just how they monetized the game though, there were heavy investments into building a sense of community and a sort of culture. This is why WoW is big, and why Warframe became popular even though it had a poor start.

Tera on the other hand not only had a poor start, but it didn't have much of a community focus to fall back on. For an MMORPG Tera has always lacked it, and even the game itself has always had rather poor social features; which is honestly a common problem for Korean games as a whole. The issue gets worsened with the fact the Western player base would never really get to interact with developers, which is something that is seen as important for games developed and released in the West; being able to interact with the developers and seeing the discussions becoming a reality.