Is there any reason to why the game has a low population?

Hi all! I don't know if it's just me who is wondering, why our in game population is so low.
If someone have an idea to why please tell, what can be improved to get people back into the game.
Its been like this for months, and I am really curious and a bit worried.

Comments

• DigivolveDigivolve ✭✭✭✭
    Consistently poor and betraying management that only act in community's favor when they already got burned by it.

EU publisher consistently outshining when it comes to events and even store updates.

Incomplete patch notes that makes players dig for accurate info themselves.

Silver/golden talents have been an issue for even longer.
    On top of every other major and minor inconvenience.
  • Thanks I usually play on Tera NA(I am from EU) because I thought the community and server managers was doing a great job. Now I see how it really is, to bad can't transfer all my characters to EU. Thank you for clearing that out for me.

Any advice of how to go from here?
  • The RNG in gear progression has discouraged many players. Gear EXP is useless when it comes to SC, HO, entropy and above jewelry.

You can have your gear completely maxed out with exp, but it is still only a "chance" to + up or upgrade.

You could run dungeons for 2 weeks straight, get the mats and gold, only to be disappointed that after all the work and time, *POOF!* There goes all that time, gold and mats into trying to improve your gears in 2 or 3 tries.

I had to take a few breaks because of this and the frustration of wasting time and working for no result.

It would be like working for a company and then when it comes to getting paid, your boss says "You will only have a 14-21% chance of getting paid this payroll." How many people do you think will remain at this company?

People want results from their hard work, time and dedication. The RNG in this gear progression is a slap in the face of many when they try to improve their gears.
  • While population is low compared to EU Ive never had problems finding a party on lfg or having to stay in queue for more than 15mins for 431-453 dungeons as ANY class. A good advice is to join an active guild that is right for you. Right for you meaning not just a BIG guild but one that makes you feel like you fit in as a team player and you yourself try to interact with. I see alot of new players join big guilds but still end up lonely mainly because they themselves dont step up and ask for runs first then call game dead or boring.
  • The RNG in gear progression has discouraged many players. Gear EXP is useless when it comes to SC, HO, entropy and above jewelry.

You can have your gear completely maxed out with exp, but it is still only a "chance" to + up or upgrade.

You could run dungeons for 2 weeks straight, get the mats and gold, only to be disappointed that after all the work and time, *POOF!* There goes all that time, gold and mats into trying to improve your gears in 2 or 3 tries.

I had to take a few breaks because of this and the frustration of wasting time and working for no result.

It would be like working for a company and then when it comes to getting paid, your boss says "You will only have a 14-21% chance of getting paid this payroll." How many people do you think will remain at this company?

People want results from their hard work, time and dedication. The RNG in this gear progression is a slap in the face of many when they try to improve their gears.

Hm, I heard a couple of people complaining about this, they usually say why play Tera when you can play BDO and progress the same way. Tera trying to emulate BDO is the worst marketing strategy. I totally agree with your opinion. Let us hope we get a better gear progression update when we going for cap 70.
  • NGCH34R4FN wrote: »
    While population is low compared to EU Ive never had problems finding a party on lfg or having to stay in queue for more than 15mins for 431-453 dungeons as ANY class. A good advice is to join an active guild that is right for you. Right for you meaning not just a BIG guild but one that makes you feel like you fit in as a team player and you yourself try to interact with. I see alot of new players join big guilds but still end up lonely mainly because they themselves dont step up and ask for runs first then call game dead or boring.

Sounds good and all for end game, but still the population is decreasing and I tried level up a character through dungeon and battleground, you aren't going to get a party. It took 1-2 hours before a dungeon party pop, and 20-40 mins for Kuma. Why level a new class, if you can't level it the funniest way. That's just my point of view, sometimes you need to be thinking critically rather than jump on the "its not the server managers fault"-wagon. But at least you gave out a constructive opinion appreciate that.
  • I shouldn't say this but on this december 19 a new true action combat MMORPG going to strikeTERA population even more.
    And will be one the best ever ones created.

Lookfor Atlas from studio Wildcard. For first time it looks extremely good. Hope wont make more people leave.
  • Thila wrote: »
    ... 20-40 mins for Kuma ...

Since Kuma became 5v5, I only waited for about 5 mins each time and I play Kumas a lot.
  • Vy1ViviVy1Vivi ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Thila wrote: »
    The RNG in gear progression has discouraged many players. Gear EXP is useless when it comes to SC, HO, entropy and above jewelry.

Hm, I heard a couple of people complaining about this, they usually say why play Tera when you can play BDO and progress the same way. Tera trying to emulate BDO is the worst marketing strategy. I totally agree with your opinion. Let us hope we get a better gear progression update when we going for cap 70.

Except BDO right now is the worst MMO on the market. Their enhancement system is even worse than this game's, and there is no content. Just empty, soulless content that you can't even group-up with other players to do. Very toxic community and lack of community in general. Plus its developer is even more scum-bag than BHS. I left that game and came back to this one after a four-year hiatus for a very good reason.

But yeah, the combination of BHS and EME's bad decisions is the reason why this game's population is as pathetic as it is. The store is terrible (its dominated by RNG loot-boxes which I believe are criminal), the enhancement and gear-progression is terrible, and the events are terrible too. The last enhancement event we had speaks to this.
  • I am actually curious when do EME actually listen to its playerbase. I mean how often do they discuss things with the players on this forum? 2019 going to be a hard year for Tera...
  • metagamemetagame ✭✭✭✭
    Gatokatzen wrote: »
    I shouldn't say this but on this december 19 a new true action combat MMORPG going to strikeTERA population even more.
    And will be one the best ever ones created.

Lookfor Atlas from studio Wildcard. For first time it looks extremely good. Hope wont make more people leave.
    "watch out, bns the tera killer is coming out!"
    "dont look now, here comes bdo the tera killer!"
    "hey guys, bless online is gonna be the killer of tera!"
  • JerichowJerichow ✭✭✭✭
    I am actually curious when do EME actually listen to its playerbase. I mean how often do they discuss things with the players on this forum? 2019 going to be a hard year for Tera...

They claim to listen to us frequently, but if you watch their activity - you'll see it's quite the opposite. For example, threads with suggestions go entirely ignored, or in some cases, are shut down and locked while threads about issues with the store or buying lootboxes typically receive an EME staff response within a few hours during normal business hours.

As for your original question - others have explained it pretty well. This game is a niche product to begin with, with a small, borderline-incompetent developer keen on putting the absolute bear minimum amount of effort into developing truly new content, while trying to squeeze every penny out of the players as possible.

Then there's EME, the NA publisher - a company that has long since fallen from grace and is now a pale, hollow, corporate shell of a once-loved and respected company that no longer cares about the player base and endeavors only to do as its parent company BHS does - Maximize profit through bear minimum effort.

Compound this on top of their recent decisions like hiring our current CM, KitTeaCup over any other applicant that, if you ask just about anyone, agrees she is the worst CM we've ever had. As a few examples of why she's a bad choice as a CM for Tera - she doesn't own a gaming PC, she doesn't play Tera outside of EME's streams, and she even laughed at, and demeaned a player who was voicing their heartbreak over what's happened to this game - and then pulls a Jessica Price and throws down the "Sexism at Riot Games" article as her justification for her disgusting behavior.

Basically she doesn't know anything about the game she's a CM of, has no empathy towards said players of the game, and has zero actual customer service skills. So people hate her for that. She will probably go down as being just as hated as an old CM we used to have called Danicia, which is saying something.

But yeah, then there's the DMCA of proxy users that caused a whole massive shitstorm of chaos in the community that caused all of the 3rd party developers to abandon this game, and caused most of the high tier end-game community to bail on NA, with even some of the biggest and most active guilds in the game calling it quits and either dropping the game entirely, or just going to EU.

I even made a thread last month pointing out that - for the first time since Tera joined Steam and we had a way to see how player population was doing - this game last month had its first ever month where they released a 'large' patch - Awakening 2 - and still lost players month-over-month. If I were you - I would suggest hopping over to EU - you will have a much better end-game over there than here. Unless something huge happens, this player base is going to continue to struggle - and even if something big happens - this is a 4+ year old game running on poorly optimized, old coding on an out-dated game engine (32-bit code running Unreal Engine 3, which cannot leverage high-core-count CPU's) - this is probably about as good as the game will ever be again, sadly.
  • Thila wrote: »
    Thanks I usually play on Tera NA(I am from EU) because I thought the community and server managers was doing a great job. Now I see how it really is, to bad can't transfer all my characters to EU. Thank you for clearing that out for me.

Any advice of how to go from here?

Simple,

It all about Level 65/Max Level. side...
  • VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    I am actually curious when do EME actually listen to its playerbase. I mean how often do they discuss things with the players on this forum? 2019 going to be a hard year for Tera...

EME may (very rarely) listen, but that doesn't matter when they do since BHS (the people who actuallly make stuff for the game and has EME on a tight leash, aka the people who need to listen to us) don't listen to us cause we're not korean and therefor we don't matter