[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance on 9/23 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

There is hope for Revival of Tera.

2»

Comments

• Jerichow wrote: »
    - Update to the UI to not have to render natively in Korean, then re-render again in a skinned English version - this alone would make a massive change in all situations

This is actually a legit question -- did this change at all with the updated UI? Based on the way everything renders, it seems like they might have changed to a different UI framework, and so it's possible it handles localization in a different way.
  • GatokatzenGatokatzen ✭✭✭
    edited December 2018
    New Update adds a new feature, Mobile game micropays systems for anything.

We have gear progression for money

Crafting speed for money

4.0 or 8.0 extra damage or super power buff mounts, for money.

Soon pve dugens entries for money

Gold and gems for money.

Ep an talent system progression again for money.

Item xp for money.

We only miss a Token system for choose characters in selection screen. If you dont pay you cannot use your char until you refill the new token screen selector points.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yamazuki wrote: »
    Zoknahal wrote: »
    lvl 70 patch is a filler patch. It wont solve the core issues that been in the game since years ago, issues Bluehole Studios, refuses to acknowledge to this date.

Bluehole [as the dev studio] has actually acknowledged a lot of the flaws the game has; the issue is dev teams and the company overtime has changed. This means their current goal is going to be different than it was before. Probably why there's a level cap increase even though before they stated it wouldn't happen.

If they had, they would had sent hotfixes already. What kind of developer keeps pushing new or recycled content, updates and revamps, without fixing the issues that had been here since way before the release of their new updates? And don't tell me is a business and they need to make their money somehow, yada yada yada.

The issues mentioned in previous replies, have been here since a couple of years back, without getting a proper fix. If something needs to be done in BHS, is that no matter what kind of team they have, old or new, they need to keep as a priority to make their game playable, before pushing new content.

You just dont do that, Or do you serve the food first without taste testing it before to see if is not too salty or too undercooked?
  • Zoknahal wrote: »
    If they had, they would had sent hotfixes already. What kind of developer keeps pushing new or recycled content, updates and revamps, without fixing the issues that had been here since way before the release of their new updates?

Honestly, a lot of developers do this (whether it's a blatant/obvious as this case or not). And reasons are usually because: the cost to do the necessary rework is too high, doing the rework would require delaying other committed priorities, and the specialized technical resources you'd need are not available (perhaps no longer work there) or too valuable (working on other projects). It's a ton easier to bandaid what you can and move on than to tear up the foundation and fix it. I'm definitely not saying that's what they should do in this case... but this is a factor in pretty much all long-running software projects, particularly those with legacy code.

In general, I think it's safe to say that BHS doesn't exactly have a deep bench of talent focused on optimization in the first place, as evidenced by all their other projects. Probably the only way would be to hire pricey outside experts. (Even the three-month "FIX PUBG" campaign that was specifically focused on optimization made some improvements, but it's still not to the level people want at all.)
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    @skittyruless
    But how are they trolling though? Nothing they said in that post is incorrect, we ARE getting a stamina mobage system.
    Just because someone has a hint of sarcasm in their post doesn't mean they're a troll, it's still fair criticism. Jesus you people.
  • ONonly 1 way to get population plenty on thera... ALLIANCE BACK!!!! MORE IMPORTANCE TO GVGS! AND MORE BGS nothing more...
  • @CornishRex
    If you know Vinyltails on these forums then you know that they like to poke fun of things in TERA in a bit of a brutal way and sort of getting a rise from comments. It is trolling, but do not get me wrong, I do not really have too much of a problem with that. As if this forum could ever gain a semblance of sanity at this point with the situation Enmasse has presented to the community.

Also it was a friendly prod since Vinyltails is quite important to me as a friend. There is no ill will here. Try not to read too deep in to conflicts on forums because chances are people are just being silly and not all that serious. Just trash posting and somewhat grounded discussions here that inevitably derail with in hours in to more trash posting!
  • DL7MMWLJ3WDL7MMWLJ3W ✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/30255/lag-everywhere

I certainly don't see any hope when seeing this.
  • Honestly, a lot of developers do this (whether it's a blatant/obvious as this case or not). And reasons are usually because: the cost to do the necessary rework is too high, doing the rework would require delaying other committed priorities, and the specialized technical resources you'd need are not available (perhaps no longer work there) or too valuable (working on other projects). It's a ton easier to bandaid what you can and move on than to tear up the foundation and fix it. I'm definitely not saying that's what they should do in this case... but this is a factor in pretty much all long-running software projects, particularly those with legacy code.

In general, I think it's safe to say that BHS doesn't exactly have a deep bench of talent focused on optimization in the first place, as evidenced by all their other projects. Probably the only way would be to hire pricey outside experts. (Even the three-month "FIX PUBG" campaign that was specifically focused on optimization made some improvements, but it's still not to the level people want at all.)
    This is pretty much it in a nutshell. The original design and development team that devised TERA were those folks (a good part of the team working on Lineage III) who peeled off from NCSoft to form Bluehole Studio. I would say most all of those folks were long gone (some of it due to the legal issues surrounding the lawsuits) from the company by 2013. PUBG was an accidental success. It was thrown together with no expectations by the remainder of the team that used to handle Devilian (Bluehole Ginno) and led by an ARMA mod developer who was hired as a creative director (Brendan Greene aka PLAYERUNKNOWN) who himself had no real professional game design experience at the time.

What is now known as PUBG Corp is still struggling at managing the success that came out of PUBG's early access blow up (the corporate side of Bluehole also had no idea how to deal with it and had several wild ideas of restructuring back in 2017 including merging with Bluehole Ginno; an idea they dropped before simply renaming it to PUBG Corp). Optimization of this thing they threw together was not high on the list (they just dumped more stuff on top of what they started with). The subsidiary was more concerned with opening up offices worldwide and looking at ways to protect some flimsy intellectual property claims (filing that lawsuit against Epic Games and then dropping it shortly after) than addressing issues with the game. Fix PUBG was just the usual vaporware campaign.

As for TERA, the original team adapted an engine designed for first person shooters (Unreal Tournament); later Unreal Engine 3 builds dealt with larger scale game world designs used in MMO's a bit better but still requires writing a lot of custom extensions to eek the most performance out of it. Smilegate's recent Korean OBT launch of LOST ARK shows what is possible when the time is taken to write that custom code (very decent game performance as well as netcode). NCSoft's experience was mainly UE3 though which is why a lot of Korean MMO's including TERA went that route (because a good amount of game design/dev experience came from there when other game studios opened). They also didn't have to deal much with netcode optimization since the primary market was domestic (with the countries high bandwidth/low latency infrastructure). Same with event structuring (narrow/homogenous time zone).

With that said, It would take significant resources to move TERA to something like Unreal Engine 4 (it amounts to writing a completely new game). NCSoft made some noise earlier this year when they announced they were planning to move Blade & Soul to UE4 and it needs it since B&S is much worse compared to TERA from my own experience with major client FPS drops just transitioning between zones. NCSoft has the resources (engineering and money) though compared to Bluehole (which has a fairly small teams handling TERA and A:IR). Plus NCSoft has been learning a lot after scrapping Lineage Eternal (UE3), replacing the entire development team, and starting over (Project TL) with a new design based on UE4. The company has been throwing resources behind UE4 though but it still won't mean good optimization unless they commit to it. Other Korean studios are also moving what few PC/console development to UE4 as well (like NBS with Bless Unleashed for Xbox One). Bluehole? NCAA (no clue at all) if they even got the memo. Their new Krafton Game Union is partially meant to address the resource constraint (people wise) issue but I honestly don't believe it will increase their agileness that much since most of the other subsidiaries are mobile development and EME being the sole publisher.

A:IR; Bluehole had to cancel the second Korean closed beta test at least twice this year and now it is slated for some undetermined date in 2019 (to put this into context, the global CBT was originally slated for the tail end of 2018). It's not just the optimization issues (similar client FPS drops) but also game design ones. The game will likely end up being even more niche than TERA and as far as I know, they don't have any PC MMO project in the pipeline after it (again, most of their subsidiaries are mobile and the two big ones they are going to be pushing is Project BB and TERA Frontiers which unlike TERA M that was licensed by Netmarble, will be a mobile version take of the PC release taking place in the same time frame). I suppose that if TERA Frontier ends up doing well, Bluehole in general may rethink things and decide to invest in the TERA franchise again at least on something new (where they overturn a prior decision to not do a "TERA 2" for PC). But that's something which will need to play out. As for the current PC/console versions.... best to keep expectations in check when it comes to anything major for optimization or lots of newly designed/produced content.
  • Thank you for ones who stay positive and have positive input.
  • @LordMurasama Thank you for this. This is definitely one of the most cogent set of statements I have heard regarding TERA in a long time. Very nice.
  • YamazukiYamazuki ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yamazuki wrote: »
    lvl 70 patch is a filler patch. It wont solve the core issues that been in the game since years ago, issues Bluehole Studios, refuses to acknowledge to this date.

Bluehole [as the dev studio] has actually acknowledged a lot of the flaws the game has; the issue is dev teams and the company overtime has changed. This means their current goal is going to be different than it was before. Probably why there's a level cap increase even though before they stated it wouldn't happen.

If they had, they would had sent hotfixes already. What kind of developer keeps pushing new or recycled content, updates and revamps, without fixing the issues that had been here since way before the release of their new updates? And don't tell me is a business and they need to make their money somehow, yada yada yada.

The issues mentioned in previous replies, have been here since a couple of years back, without getting a proper fix. If something needs to be done in BHS, is that no matter what kind of team they have, old or new, they need to keep as a priority to make their game playable, before pushing new content.

You just dont do that, Or do you serve the food first without taste testing it before to see if is not too salty or too undercooked?

Acknowledgement and action aren't the same, and the devs who talked about it most likely aren't working there now anyways. There's a lot of things that are handled differently than years ago. For a second example, look at classes. BHS initially said they wouldn't bring other races or genders to any new classes, but they did while also not releasing new classes even though their original goal was to have a variety of classes so Tera could be similar to mobas; which isn't even possible now due to the gear revamp that makes gearing multiple characters up all the way impossible for most people.
  • @LordMurasama Thank you for this. This is definitely one of the most cogent set of statements I have heard regarding TERA in a long time. Very nice.
    No problem!

BTW, for those who have been playing TERA for awhile (and have experienced the good and bad changes), there are some positives with the current team as they are treading on ground that they knew could upset some folks (like the level cap increase). Which is why they didn't just blindly say level 70 gear is also coming with it. But it's a change considering the previous stance so I am seeing this as anything is on the table for the franchise.

While they were also introduced as the "new development" team, take that with a grain salt (it's more or less like moving resources around in the company). But that also means some design philosophies won't change; thus the continued struggle with the whole equipment growth grind that isn't really changing with the new systems that are being "bolted" on top of the existing level 65 gear.

Myself, I'll be satisfied with incremental updates to the story line; I know last year during their winter showcase, they mentioned expanding on the story along with teaser artwork for a completely new zone. http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=189833&site=tera So I'm hopeful that they are re-working that as a follow on to the level 70 increase (which again is a major decision change from previous lead designers who were in charge).