[PC] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/17 at 8am PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/terapcmaintenance

Bring back Pounce!

What happened to the skill 'Pounce' for Warriors on the Apex update? Why was it removed? What would one have to do to get it back?
There's a huge gap in my skills tray where Pounce used to be.
Pounce_gap.png
I don't care if it's not as strong an attack as Leaping Strike or similar... I want it for completeness (same with Mangle, even if it was very niche), and I've seen it used as a good move for closing the gap on opponents in duels when used in skill chains.

Comments

• Replace it with blade waltz, its 500% better and can chain into any skill/cancel any animation, leaping strike is also useless for chaining unless you need to move in or out for some mech or pvping
  • Backstab stun 100-0 is not good for closing gap when duel?
    :cry:
  • HxxxHxxx ✭✭
    You guys are missing the point.
    I want it back so I can have a more complete set of all the skills Warrior class has.
  • VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    Then get apex for the complete set
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hxxx wrote: »
    You guys are missing the point.
    I want it back so I can have a more complete set of all the skills Warrior class has.
    By your own admission you know the skill wasn't very good, but you want it back for the sake of having it?

That's... an odd perspective.
  • Pounce?? Mangle?? Really???!! lol

You actually remember the animation lock on that thing?? If you want a opener for TC use PB or CS and trust me...you really don't want pounce.
    We've been the most "complete" class since forever, Sorcerer not withstanding, you feel we need any more buttons to press?

On a side note...you miss shared edge too? B)
  • HxxxHxxx ✭✭
    The language used on the two liked posts here makes it sound like they think I "don't like change" or I want things to go back to the way they were (am I being made fun of here?), and it isn't about that at all.
    The feeling I have is that since they removed an attack skill they've ruptured the symmetry-- Traverse Cut and Blade draw seemed to go together and have similar functions as did Poison Blade and Combative strike. Or with Reaping Slash vs. Cascade of stuns, on my Castanic Female Warrior the animation is basically the same on either one, just horizontally flipped (slashing the other way) and the damage output and overall effect on MOBs is almost the same. So I figured, Pounce and Leaping strike are both moves where you're making a leap forwards landing with your blades downwards, those go together too. Right? And after the Apex update we get Aerial Scythe, which from the skill description sounds like it has the same utility as Scythe only more... well, it's an Aerial. But that sounds to me like it'd pair up nicely with Evasive Roll vs. Death from Above since those are both iframe (no damage while dodging) skills, and again, one's an aerial. So symmetrical... until you take one out.
    It worked for me because I use the mouse1-mouse5 buttons + modifier keys for attack skills and 1-7 for non-attack skills, alt+1 to 7 for stances or commands to thralls/smoke/hb-7 etc. and so far the combat skills (attacks and otherwise) have been surprisingly analagous between different character classes, I can usually find the same or equivalent skills and give them the exact same hotbar slots between diff. classes.
    It's not even just Pounce, come to think of it; whenever they remove a skill I feel like I have to rearrange things-- I guess I took to leaving a hole in the skills bar just for posteriority.

So for me it's about my preferred organization of things being affected; it's nothing against major updates or improvements to Warrior's overall skillset.
    The only thing I could think of would be filling those slots up with unusable items, or consumables you usually get a ton of, but I don't know how good of an idea that sort of placeholder system would be.

It would also be nice to be able to see removed skills in the skills menu, just to see what used to be in the game and how it's changed.
    Like grayed out so it's clear you can't buy it with a red text on the description saying 'this skill is no longer available for this class' or something like that.
  • CornishRexCornishRex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your issue with this skill is so particular and weird I don't think anyone will understand you because it's so damn trivial. You want the skill back to satisfy your ocd..?
  • HxxxHxxx ✭✭
    It's not like if the skill were never removed in the first place anyone would have complained to have it removed!
  • Hxxx wrote: »
    The language used on the two liked posts here makes it sound like they think I "don't like change" or I want things to go back to the way they were (am I being made fun of here?), and it isn't about that at all.
    The feeling I have is that since they removed an attack skill they've ruptured the symmetry-- Traverse Cut and Blade draw seemed to go together and have similar functions as did Poison Blade and Combative strike. Or with Reaping Slash vs. Cascade of stuns, on my Castanic Female Warrior the animation is basically the same on either one, just horizontally flipped (slashing the other way) and the damage output and overall effect on MOBs is almost the same. So I figured, Pounce and Leaping strike are both moves where you're making a leap forwards landing with your blades downwards, those go together too. Right? And after the Apex update we get Aerial Scythe, which from the skill description sounds like it has the same utility as Scythe only more... well, it's an Aerial. But that sounds to me like it'd pair up nicely with Evasive Roll vs. Death from Above since those are both iframe (no damage while dodging) skills, and again, one's an aerial. So symmetrical... until you take one out.
    It worked for me because I use the mouse1-mouse5 buttons + modifier keys for attack skills and 1-7 for non-attack skills, alt+1 to 7 for stances or commands to thralls/smoke/hb-7 etc. and so far the combat skills (attacks and otherwise) have been surprisingly analagous between different character classes, I can usually find the same or equivalent skills and give them the exact same hotbar slots between diff. classes.
    It's not even just Pounce, come to think of it; whenever they remove a skill I feel like I have to rearrange things-- I guess I took to leaving a hole in the skills bar just for posteriority.

So for me it's about my preferred organization of things being affected; it's nothing against major updates or improvements to Warrior's overall skillset.
    The only thing I could think of would be filling those slots up with unusable items, or consumables you usually get a ton of, but I don't know how good of an idea that sort of placeholder system would be.

It would also be nice to be able to see removed skills in the skills menu, just to see what used to be in the game and how it's changed.
    Like grayed out so it's clear you can't buy it with a red text on the description saying 'this skill is no longer available for this class' or something like that.

No, you're not being made fun of, you simply missing a tiny lil point, things change and evolve, plus you seem to go on a tangent with this particular skill when from the outset it wasn't that good to begin with. Yes it was a chain opener for TC - Traverse Cut, but it was slow with a long animation and that's never to good for Warrior's.

You probably thinking around a rotation mind set and rotations for us aren't that much of a written in stone deal. We don't really have fixed rotations just closer or farther to optimum one's and this optimum changes according to how much edge you've built and the resets on your secondary highest damage dealer, BD - Blade Draw, plus other circumstantial factors . In the case of Pounce its disappearance is easily mitigated by PB - Poisen Blade or CS - Combative Strike, why? Because edge building, PB gives you 2 edge, its fast and has minimal animation lock, CS same story minus 1 edge and they both open TC. If you go awaken you have one extra opener, Blade Waltz.

You "can" organize to your own preference, though, keep in mind the further or closer that personal organization will take you to the optimum for edge building and usage of BD resets. In other words you should be organizing around the preference of staking edge as fast as possible while using high damage fillers in that process. And no, this isn't so because you fall on the DPS group of classes (which I personally feel we're not), its because Warrior's have to work more methodically for they're DPS.

Your other considerations fall a bit on nostalgia perhaps, you can certainly have an historical view on the evolution of the class.

If you would care to look a lil deeper into the evolution of the class i suggest this tiny bible - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w7s0WFf_2CWTdTSRZrE_hERdfWoIdLhcYPAi2mHf1og/edit#heading=h.rp6fh61i0jvk, it should provide you with an in depth view on the in's and out's of Warrior's.

Cheers B)

• HxxxHxxx ✭✭
    Yeah, I uh, I only know about "skill chains" when it comes to Warriors from watching people duel in Highwatch... or... dueling them...
    stop_thinking_of_Warriors_as_a.png
    Seems like the TERA players who are on the forums are really concerned with the metagame. I appreciate the concern Inamorata (good article by the way) but my concern wasn't about whether or not I'm being any good as a Warrior with my use of its skills. Maybe subconsciously I was just looking for a chance to talk about how I organize my skills tray.

Still, it would be really nice to have the skill back, just for posteriority. I don't think anyone would complain if it were to become buyable and usable again. Maybe bring in an improved version of Pounce that gives it seperate/different utility from Leaping strike but a shorter animation time and more chain possibilities?

As for what to do with the empty slot, maybe I'll hide Snowflake Bombs n [filtered] in there. That oughta make me a flashy button-masher. Lord knows I could stand to use up some of the old letter fireworks in my bank.
  • From a game developer's point of view, they want to update classes to streamline them for everyone. Warrior is one of the most button-heavy classes, has some of the highest number of skills with both d and astance, and they don't want newer players feeling like they need to have every skill bound even if they aren't useful. Pounce does not fit in their view of the direction of apex warrior, which is endgame now. They deemed it bad either design-wise, damage-wise, all of the above, etc, and found it better to remove it. It helps prevent confusion in newer warriors and 99% of old warriors don't care because it isn't used. They won't bring it back for posterity - if anything they have been removing more old things beyond this skill, nor add a new and improved skill like it, warrior is in a pretty good place in terms of skills.
  • HxxxHxxx ✭✭
    Allright JXE-AKE thanks for trying to clear that up.
    Damn. You know, I didn't complain when they added Infuriate to Warrior; I guess Pounce was different because everything seemed to go in pairs (like I mentioned earlier). I just thought, you know, maybe if I were to ask nicely...