[PC] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/15 at 6am PDT, and have an expected downtime of 5 hours. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/terapcmaintenance
[PS4/XB1] Due to an error, we have extended current events (such as dungeon highlights) by one day. The new end time is now 10/15 at 0500 UTC. Thanks for your patience!

Low FPS on perfectly capable PC

Recently tried to play the game again after a few years away. Can't get over 20fps no matter what preset or setting I am on or where I am in the game. Its low when I start the game and remains low no matter what I do in the settings. I have no controllers plugged in which is what people usually suggest it is. I've run out of ideas of what to change to get the game to run at an alright framerate.

My PC specs are:
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
RAM: G.Skill Flare X 16GB @3200mhz
GPU: Sapphire RX Vega 56 8GB HBM
I'm playing at 1440p.

Comments

• voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9
    This game doesn't play well with AMD processors. I had a nice setup when I first started tera, and it had an AMD CPU. My FPS was garbage. I switched to an intel one and it all doubled. Same thing for literally everyone I knew who made the switch. Sorry to be the one to break it to you.
  • GatokatzenGatokatzen ✭✭✭
    Amd processors are trash, lame for multitasking go for an Intel I5 I7 I9 cores and beyond.
    Works like a charm for games, Amd is god for Graphics reliable and cool. but processors. Only super AMD RT processor worths and its 16000$ Usd alone.
  • This game used to run at 60fps for me on an AMD A12 apu which is worse than my current processer. So don't give me the 'amd processors suck' answer because its simply not true.

Both of you seem to have based your information on AMD processors from years ago before AMD ryzen even came out. AMD is better now, in some cases even better than Intel at the same price. I can run literally any other game at over 60fps. I even know other people with the exact same hardware as me that get 60fps in tera. So its not a question of 'amd sucks'

I asked for help with fps problems, I did not ask to be told 'oh amd sucks buy Intel'. If you don't have anything thats actually helpful don't post at all.
  • kubitoid wrote: »
    then your choice is to search guides for tweaking tera ini files and your internet settings

Are you a troll? Internet settings have NOTHING to do with frames per second.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    kubitoid wrote: »
    then your choice is to search guides for tweaking tera ini files and your internet settings

Are you a troll? Internet settings have NOTHING to do with frames per second.

I guess you haven't heard about how calling your ISP and asking them to fix the game was actually one of EME's suggestions. Another lovely little gem was turning off your anti-virus/firewall program(s).

In any case, welcome to TERA, where the better your system, the worse the game performs, coupled with the fact that BHS insists on adding more to the game without modifying how it's all put together to actually accommodate for it all. There's not really much else anyone can tell you at this point.
  • GaalrakGaalrak ✭✭
    SageWindu wrote: »
    In any case, welcome to TERA

This is about all you can say to explain the terrible FPS.

I forget the specifics of it, but I think it's got something to do with the game not multi-threading or only running on a certain amount of cores, but I'm not some computer genius like some people.
  • vkobevkobe ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gatokatzen wrote: »
    Amd processors are trash, lame for multitasking go for an Intel I5 I7 I9 cores and beyond.
    Works like a charm for games, Amd is god for Graphics reliable and cool. but processors. Only super AMD RT processor worths and its 16000$ Usd alone.

i9 is maximun, maybe we will get titan next year for our rtx 2080 ti :3
  • ElinLoveElinLove ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a site note, after so long without even booting the game up (surprise surprise, even with THIS name, I've not yet even created an Elin Brawler!) I finally joined the 900 series crowd and upgraded to a GTX 960 (Money. Don't b**** about "wHy nO NeWer rTX cArd").
    I was 85.6% sure my FPS would be the exact same from my GTX 550 Ti.

GUESS WHAT!
    I was right. Exactly the same ~24 FPS on Freedom Plaza
  • Gatokatzen wrote: »

You have no idea what you're talking about.
  • PalochiPalochi ✭✭✭
    edited March 10
    I get 25~35 FPS in Highwatch(when it's High pop) with a normal S1Engine at preset 3. My processor is a r5 1600, so your case is bad regardless.
    Try editing your ini file and it should improve a bit at least. I never notice stuttering or very low FPS in dungeons or anywhere, unless I'm doing CU/raid PvP.
    I play at 1080p but it's 21:9 so I'm somewhere in-between in pixel count, I don't think it would be that much different from yours.
  • Palochi wrote: »
    I get 25~35 FPS in Highwatch(when it's High pop) with a normal S1Engine at preset 3. My processor is a r5 1600, so your case is bad regardless.
    Try editing your ini file and it should improve a bit at least. I never notice stuttering or very low FPS in dungeons or anywhere, unless I'm doing CU/raid PvP.
    I play at 1080p but it's 21:9 so I'm somewhere in-between in pixel count, I don't think it would be that much different from yours.

Thanks, I've edited the ini files and its increased by 5fps but its still only 25fps everywhere, in towns and in open world areas with nobody else in them. Thing is it doesnt matter if I'm on preset 0 or on preset 6 I still only get 25fps in TERA. I'm able to get 80fps on games like Devil May Cry 5 at max settings so I'm really not sure why a game that looks so much worse can't even get over 25. Any suggestions? Is there any software thats known to cause issues with TERA?
  • voidyvoidy ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 11
    This game used to run at 60fps for me on an AMD A12 apu which is worse than my current processer.
    Why didn't you say that to begin with then? Don't lash out at people trying to help you when you don't even provide a full picture of your problem.

In any case, this makes me even MORE convinced that it's just the game not playing well with *that hardware* in particular, since you're making it seem like the game was fine until you literally changed just that and nothing else. Improving your hardware, while helpful in theory, doesn't always help with a game like this one. I've known people who've gone from late i5s to beastly i7s and still had issues because tera is just a poorly optimized game. I can cite a dozen people who've had this issue and simply changing the processor fixed it. You might not LIKE that answer, but you know what? Every other piece of hardware you have is FINE. Tera pulls an ABSURD amount of power from your CPU. Your game apparently ran fine until you swapped out the old cpu with a new one. And since you've given us *nothing else* to go on, what do you expect people to point to first, especially with this game's AWFUL track record with AMD CPUs and its shaky history of being compatible with new equipment?

Good luck with your problem, but yeah I'm peacing out of this thread. Only other thing I'd suggest is temporarily disabling windows defender while tera's running, because that helped me a little bit, a long time ago. Unless you have some snarky response to that too, in which case you can have fun trying a bunch of stuff that isn't gonna work, but appeals to your arbitrary sense of brand loyalty.
  • PalochiPalochi ✭✭✭
    Idk really, the only things I have done are OC(barely anything because stock cooler rip) and the ini changes. You can try running tera with no other program on the background and running the game with stock clocks, if it's overclocked obviously. If it's still bad then I have no idea what could be making it like that for you. You can see if your Radeon drivers are outdated too but I don't think it would help anyway since it's for the GPU.
    Try going to IoD to see how it does there, it stays pretty much locked at 75 FPS when Im in that zone. (I locked it there because that's my monitor's refresh rate)