[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/21 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

Really TERA? I spent $100 on swimsuit loot boxes, and not 1 swimsuit

Look, I'm more than happy to give you my money, but this is bull
You dun want to put the swimsuit on the store front, fine. But at least you can do is let people get a decent chance to get in the loot boxes.
This is how you loose customer, because I'm leaving.
«1

Comments

  • VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    Now go tell this to a casnio
  • DatGeekDatGeek ✭✭✭
    edited April 2
    From what i've been told by people doing the same kind of research into F2P games with loot boxes, your RNG luck meter is decided upon the first time you start playing the game, and it won't change, meaning, if you don't get anything from the first $100 you'll need to spend at least 10x that amount to get your first actual jackpot item.

    Some are more lucky and get a higher luck meter, others such as myself gets the short end of the stick and end up with permanent, horrible luck.

    Your reason is the same as mine for leaving the game.

    Had two friends with me to do an experiement and they bought $100 worth of currency each, to buy loot boxes, specifically the innerwear.

    Neither of them got it.

    I bought currency worth $500 and got none.

    A third person we talked to, got an item with every 5th box opened, while a fourth person we talked to, got an item on roughly every 8th box opened.

    I am hoping that any form of loot box gambling will be banned completely so that we can purchase what we want directly from the cash shops, and it looks like it's already started to move in that direction.

  • Yeah I wish loot boxes would go away so we could purchase what we actually want instead of playing the casino, after trying myself to get a couple things in the past and recently I gave up I refuse to throw money in for nothing.
  • ExipheusExipheus Kazura (XB1 NA Lakan ) mod
    My approach to buying loot boxes is to not buy them expecting to get the grand prize. I always bought them for the materials (alkahest and now metamorphic emblems) so it never bothered me if I didn't get the jackpot. If I did, then it was a nice surprise.
  • DatGeekDatGeek ✭✭✭
    Exipheus wrote: »
    My approach to buying loot boxes is to not buy them expecting to get the grand prize. I always bought them for the materials (alkahest and now metamorphic emblems) so it never bothered me if I didn't get the jackpot. If I did, then it was a nice surprise.

    Then that's on you.

    Not everyone is equally strong willed, and loot boxes, just like real life money gambling, causes gambling addiction for those who aren't strong willed, which is why the EU is banning loot boxes.

    Don't even think about saying it's not gambling. You're enticed to buy them for the main prize of a costume piece, a mount or weapon skins because that's how they're advertised. "Inner wear box" and so on. You can't sit there and claim that you haven't bought them for the main prize, ever, as you'd then be lying. Their advertisements are well thought through to make people buy them, using human psychology against their customers by naming and branding along with a nice image of the main prize.
  • They should be banned or at least the odds published and yeah it is gambling, I don't mind spending something on a game that I really enjoy but I'll not throw money at chances of getting something when chances are you wont get it lol, I would gladly buy it if it weren't locked behind chances.
  • DatGeekDatGeek ✭✭✭
    VoodooRose wrote: »
    They should be banned or at least the odds published and yeah it is gambling, I don't mind spending something on a game that I really enjoy but I'll not throw money at chances of getting something when chances are you wont get it lol, I would gladly buy it if it weren't locked behind chances.

    The odds of getting the main prize will never be published, because that would be the same as admitting that they're offering in-game gambling through loot boxes, since the odds are always in favor of the house, in this case, the developer and publisher.

    You are 100% correct. I too, would buy costumes, skins, mounts and inner wear if they were offered as stand-alone products in the cash shop. Sure, they sell costumes, mounts, accessories and weapon skins directly but the best stuff is always hidden behind a gambling system aka loot boxes.

    If they dropped the loot boxes as they currently are, and instead sold resource bundles etc and then sold what's currently the main prize in the gambling boxes as stand-alone 'products' at a reasonably higher price, they'd make more money. It could even potentially fix the broken in-game economy.
  • ExipheusExipheus Kazura (XB1 NA Lakan ) mod
    edited April 9
    Legally, it is not considered gambling because you're still getting something (alkahest or metamorphic emblems) so them being banned is not gonna happen. It's all a mentality in my opinion so yes, it is on me because of how I approach it. Lootbox items can also be purchased with gold from players who are selling them and they are also a good way to make money. If you test your luck and win, you've got yourself an item that will make you good profit. It's all risk and reward, but not impossible to obtain.
  • > @ManHore said:
    > Look, I'm more than happy to give you my money, but this is bull
    > You dun want to put the swimsuit on the store front, fine. But at least you can do is let people get a decent chance to get in the loot boxes.
    > This is how you loose customer, because I'm leaving.


    If you want swimsuits, just make any castanic female with heavy armor lol :)
    That's literally all they wear.
  • DatGeekDatGeek ✭✭✭
    Exipheus wrote: »
    Legally, it is not considered gambling because you're still getting something (alkahest or metamorphic emblems) so them being banned is not gonna happen. It's all a mentality in my opinion so yes, it is on me because of how I approach it. Lootbox items can also be purchased with gold from players who are selling them and they are also a good way to make money. If you test your luck and win, you've got yourself an item that will make you good profit. It's all risk and reward, but not impossible to obtain.

    You're wrong. On every single level of wrong.

    It's a game of chance. Gambling is games of chance. Literally.

    You also said it yourself. "If you test your luck".

    You're really making yourself look bad here, because you're contradicting yourself, constantly.

    Loot boxes are gambling. Period.

    They use psychology against us, and the fact that you can sit there and defend this business practice is hilarious and also quite frankly, disgusting.

    Millions of people around the world struggle with gambling addiction, and these developers aren't helping them by offering gambling boxes where you take a risk not just by purchasing the boxes, but by adding a second layer of gambling by adding 4 slots that you have to GAMBLE on, in order to obtain the main prize which is THE sole reason people buy these boxes in the first place.

    Look at how they brand the boxes, how they advertise them, and then look at the odds of getting the item they use as an incentive to purchase the loot boxes. The odds are never in your favor, much like in a casino. Always stacked against you.

    Of course, it's not impossible to obtain the main prize, but that's where the gambling aspects comes into play.

    You purchase currency with real money to use on a loot box aka gambling box for a CHANCE of obtaining the main prize, which is what they use to advertise the bloody boxes. The image and the way they talk about what you can obtain by purchasing the boxes makes it even more evident.

    What people end up with is a bad taste in their mouth, and either quit or buy more loot boxes so they can keep on gambling until they get what they want. THE MAIN PRIZE. THE JACKPOT. The item the devs/publisher use to advertise it with..

    Just look at the bloody store page and look at how they brand and name their loot boxes. : https://store.enmasse.com/tera/items/loot-boxes

    Stop fooling yourself, or at least stop trying to fool others. Fortunately for me, I cannot be fooled by people like you. At least not anymore. Not after doing research for a few years on the loot box systems and how they use psychology against their customers with imagery and wording to entice them to buy loot boxes.
  • ExipheusExipheus Kazura (XB1 NA Lakan ) mod
    DatGeek wrote: »
    Exipheus wrote: »
    Legally, it is not considered gambling because you're still getting something (alkahest or metamorphic emblems) so them being banned is not gonna happen. It's all a mentality in my opinion so yes, it is on me because of how I approach it. Lootbox items can also be purchased with gold from players who are selling them and they are also a good way to make money. If you test your luck and win, you've got yourself an item that will make you good profit. It's all risk and reward, but not impossible to obtain.

    You're wrong. On every single level of wrong.

    It's a game of chance. Gambling is games of chance. Literally.

    You also said it yourself. "If you test your luck".

    You're really making yourself look bad here, because you're contradicting yourself, constantly.

    Loot boxes are gambling. Period.

    They use psychology against us, and the fact that you can sit there and defend this business practice is hilarious and also quite frankly, disgusting.

    Millions of people around the world struggle with gambling addiction, and these developers aren't helping them by offering gambling boxes where you take a risk not just by purchasing the boxes, but by adding a second layer of gambling by adding 4 slots that you have to GAMBLE on, in order to obtain the main prize which is THE sole reason people buy these boxes in the first place.

    Look at how they brand the boxes, how they advertise them, and then look at the odds of getting the item they use as an incentive to purchase the loot boxes. The odds are never in your favor, much like in a casino. Always stacked against you.

    Of course, it's not impossible to obtain the main prize, but that's where the gambling aspects comes into play.

    You purchase currency with real money to use on a loot box aka gambling box for a CHANCE of obtaining the main prize, which is what they use to advertise the bloody boxes. The image and the way they talk about what you can obtain by purchasing the boxes makes it even more evident.

    What people end up with is a bad taste in their mouth, and either quit or buy more loot boxes so they can keep on gambling until they get what they want. THE MAIN PRIZE. THE JACKPOT. The item the devs/publisher use to advertise it with..

    Just look at the bloody store page and look at how they brand and name their loot boxes. : https://store.enmasse.com/tera/items/loot-boxes

    Stop fooling yourself, or at least stop trying to fool others. Fortunately for me, I cannot be fooled by people like you. At least not anymore. Not after doing research for a few years on the loot box systems and how they use psychology against their customers with imagery and wording to entice them to buy loot boxes.

    I said "legally" meaning that they won't be banned because there is nothing that will force them to be banned in that respect. Legally however, is not the only way to look at it. Morally is another way which is how it appears that you are looking at it. I have never stated whether I agree or not, just that I know they're here to stay. Due to that fact, I have simply changed the way I approach them to avoid that "bad taste" you mention. Yes, it is a business plan, yes it is clever marketing. But all I can say is if you don't like it, then don't purchase them. I was offering other ways for you to obtain that item without having to gamble your hard earned money for it. I have not defended anything nor have I advocated for loot boxes. Simply stating facts.
  • Loot boxes is essentially gambling that gets a free pass, yet it technically isn't gambling because you always get something. It's reasonable for free to play games, as it helps them generate income plus you get a chance to grab something good. Although I agree with you that it is not a good thing or maybe even unethical, everybody still has to take responsibility for their own actions and don't blame others for feeding their addiction.
  • sounds like you need to find a ritual before opening loot boxes lol
  • T5GA9WFXT9T5GA9WFXT9 Highwatch ✭✭
    The thing is its just a lootbox , you get just a chance to get that what you will out of the boxes is not the publisher fail you just unlucky more not
  • If you ever play XCOM you quickly learn that true rng is a b***h. 3 misses in a row from 90% chance to hit... Happens more than you know.
Sign In or Register to comment.