Introductions and Rollback Followup

Hey, everyone!

My name is Frank, or Tielwing if you prefer. I’m the new Product Manager for TERA here at En Masse Entertainment. I joined the TERA team here recently and have been furiously working to get up to speed on everything related to managing TERA. I still have a ton to learn about the game, as well as all of you in the community, so I’ll be lurking/posting around the forums, as well as playing the game during most waking hours here (simultaneous to working, whenever possible).

With the introductions out of the way, I wanted to drop some more information for you all regarding the rollback that needed to happen yesterday. Rollbacks are obviously a last resort, so I wanted to emphasize that we explored every other option available prior to removing game progress from all of you. We are internally discussing this incident extensively to really nail down what we can do to improve—especially, how we can avoid similar situations from impacting you all in the future.

Since the details of what initiated requiring the rollback are already publicly known and freely discussed on the forums, I won’t leave a wall of text rehashing that info. Instead I’d like to talk about what our plans are moving forward. After an extensive post-mortem going over the entire rollback from start to finish, we’re focusing our efforts on identifying where the breakdown occurred that resulted in the economy-wrecking issues to make it all the way to the live servers. Without getting too into our processes, I’ll just say that we’ve initially identified some areas that we can improve on immediately, and will continue working towards shoring things up wherever possible.

I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you in the future here, and I’m also looking forward to talking with you all about more positive and exciting announcements down the line. Until then, it’s awesome to meet you all, and I’ll see you on the boards, and in the game!

Comments

• Welcome!
    If you decide a test server populated by a section of your playerbase is the direction you want to go, I'm sure you'd have plenty of people willing to test for you. I participated in one of those for Atlantica Online years ago and from what I recall it worked very well for the game.
  • LancerJivaLancerJiva ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings Frank! Glad to have you aboard! What happened to seandynamite? Do you have any info regarding the status of the reset scrolls not being sellable to the merchant?
  • KXRC9JMW74KXRC9JMW74 ✭✭✭
    edited April 12
    So Frank will you spend more time off the forums and go to discord instead? If so then I'll say it now You're a loser that don't care.

If I sound bitter it's because I am.
  • KXRC9JMW74 wrote: »
    So Frank will you spend more time off the forums and go to discord instead? If so then I'll say it now You're a loser that don't care.

Nobody will confuse you with the welcome wagon =/
    How about giving a guy the chance to fail before nailing him to the cross?
  • KXRC9JMW74KXRC9JMW74 ✭✭✭
    Krystaline wrote: »
    KXRC9JMW74 wrote: »

Nobody will confuse you with the welcome wagon =/
    How about giving a guy the chance to fail before nailing him to the cross?

When he posts more then twice in 1 day Maybe
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greetings

Welcome aboard. As a long time player here, i can tell you, that what this community wants the most, and what we need the most at the moment, is communication.

When issues happen, we do not want to see a message from a EME staff that basically says "We are looking into this" and yet nothing is being done or we do not see any actual progress.

This is due to an extreme lack of communication in between the players and EME.

A good example, excluding comparisons, is EU TERA. Over the years, they have stepped up their communication with the players, providing more detailed patch notes, learning how to play the game to know what the players want, from a player point of view, not just from a Publisher Point of View, and the weekly streams, is hard to see EME weekly stream getting barely 100 views, while the streams from EU have over 1k or even more, once again, because they show competence with their streams, they show they know how to play, they know the in game situations, and they provide A LOT MORE detailed patch notes and explain them in detail in their streams.

By all means, as the new Product Manager of TERA NA, you should exploit communication with the players, so that we do not feel ignored, and from time to time, jump into the game to hang out with the players, to show that as the new Product Manager, you care for the player needs in the game, and care for learning the game core mechanics to have the same feeling that we do, and avoid situations like the most recent one, to happen ever again.

I hope you can be the turning point for NA, cause we really need it.
  • Zoknahal wrote: »
    snip

Thanks Zoknahal for the detailed post. I'll certainly be doing my best to keep up with all levels of communication with you all on the forums as well as on Discord. It's definitely something I'll be striving to level up and build on. One of the most important things for me personally right now is building up my TERA expertise to better understand all the ins and outs of what you all in the community care the most about.

Thanks to the other posters also for the welcome (even if there's some bitterness, I don't blame anyone after the recent issues), I'm looking forward to getting to know the TERA community better on the forums and in Discord.
  • Welcome!

I'm a semi long time player of Bluehole titles but not necessarily TERA (long story but will make it short). I bought the boxed collectors edition back in 2012 but never really played it a lot since there was another game being released (Diablo III in May 2012) and I was a huge ARPG player back then. That plus the open beta of Path of Exile made me forget about TERA for a bit. Then in 2014, a Bluehole acquired studio subsidiary (Ginno Games or what became Bluehole Ginno and was renamed to PUBG Corp in 2017) launch Devilian (which was an MMO-ARPG that had been in development since 2009, and was inspired by Diablo III after it was reveal in 2008); the game was initially marketed as a Korean Diablo along with a tacky marketing campaign where it was referred to as Kimchi-blo.

Because of my interest in Devilian, in a weird twist, I ended up following Bluehole, Inc and what was then known as the Bluehole Alliance; what you folks now know as KRAFTON Game Union (plus a colleague of mine who works in South Korea was previously an early private angel investor in one of the funds that invested in the company and we'd talk about that stuff) where part of my blogging (yes, I'm one of those who still use that medium) is regarding Bluehole stuff (so TERA, PUBG, Ascent: Infinite Realm, and probably soon, MISTOVER and Project BB).

Once the Ginno Games acquisition was finalized, the studio had access to Bluehole resources and the entire game was overhauled with a lot of game systems and graphics derived from TERA (the cannonshooter class model was derived from the Elin race for example) so it became known as mini-TERA for a short bit. I ended up playing the Korean version of that, then the Thai version, and then the NA/EU version when that was launched in late 2015 (and played until it's closure last March). Early 2016 was when I resumed playing and putting more time into TERA though and despite the changes and issues that have plagued the game, it's the one I play the most today (though not entirely its end game meta).

I don't frequent EME's online communities a lot but I do tend to visit the main site and quick check the forums for information. I agree with points that Zoknahal mentioned regarding communication. I do realize the priorities that are on your plate as product manager though (and the resource constraints that may be in place at En Masse) but one of the things I hope you would consider is something that other publishers have done to engage with their communities; the occasional "producers/product managers" newsletter and having some of the ensuing dialog translate into meaningful actions that players can then see (in the form of things that En Masse can control since most of us realize Krafton controls the design and development details of the game).

Anyway, welcome again and looking forward to whatever you can bring to the game!
  • Here are some Buddy Up! Codes for you to play TERA[/code]
    If you're gonna be active don't doubt to use them and feel free to ask me anything you want!

Server: Velika

Buddy Up Codes:
    When you start the game and enter my BuddyUp Code, both of us receive special benefits!

Takeshi.Kira#0470 (2/3)
    Lizz.Dawn#6938 (1/3)
    Aina.Lin#0255 (0/3)

Thank You!! <3 <3
  • SametbhSametbh ✭✭✭
    Welcome welcome <3
  • It was just one day of player progress and considering how important the rollback was for repairing the game I'm sure most people with common sense didn't mind. Thanks for all the work you do and welcome!
  • sanj66sanj66 ✭✭✭✭
    Tielwing wrote: »
    Hey, everyone!

My name is Frank, or Tielwing if you prefer. I’m the new Product Manager for TERA here at En Masse Entertainment. I joined the TERA team here recently and have been furiously working to get up to speed on everything related to managing TERA. I still have a ton to learn about the game, as well as all of you in the community, so I’ll be lurking/posting around the forums, as well as playing the game during most waking hours here (simultaneous to working, whenever possible).

With the introductions out of the way, I wanted to drop some more information for you all regarding the rollback that needed to happen yesterday. Rollbacks are obviously a last resort, so I wanted to emphasize that we explored every other option available prior to removing game progress from all of you. We are internally discussing this incident extensively to really nail down what we can do to improve—especially, how we can avoid similar situations from impacting you all in the future.

Since the details of what initiated requiring the rollback are already publicly known and freely discussed on the forums, I won’t leave a wall of text rehashing that info. Instead I’d like to talk about what our plans are moving forward. After an extensive post-mortem going over the entire rollback from start to finish, we’re focusing our efforts on identifying where the breakdown occurred that resulted in the economy-wrecking issues to make it all the way to the live servers. Without getting too into our processes, I’ll just say that we’ve initially identified some areas that we can improve on immediately, and will continue working towards shoring things up wherever possible.

I’m looking forward to getting to know all of you in the future here, and I’m also looking forward to talking with you all about more positive and exciting announcements down the line. Until then, it’s awesome to meet you all, and I’ll see you on the boards, and in the game!

good day and welcome, we do hope, and i dont mean to sound blunt or bashing on the people you replaced, to see you around more and to have more open communication with the player base. while the compensation and the message that came with the mails in game was nice there are still a lot of issues with the patch outstanding. its been almost a week since the patch and currently we still have elite features being non fuctional which are the weekly cap on dungeons and the daily entry limit on ghilliglade. elite was suppsoed to offer the player 80 entries of any specific dungeon per week and as it stands we're still capped at 40 like non elite players, ghilliglade is currently at 1 entry per day as well for elite players. the other issue is the 20% exp event for the rollback, losing an entire day of levelling that we did =/= 20% bonus exp thats basically asking us to do 200% work in leveling but we only get 120%. the bonus exp should have been 100% but it should have been done in the sense of exp marks similar to the elite exp mark as a player could have been able to level on the initial day of the patch but not be able to the day after or the time after the servers came up after the rollback, how does this even compensate him when he cant part take of it? couple with this 5 days of elite being added to players accounts but the central factor of elite, dungeon entries, being non functional, i hope you see my point.
  • edited April 14
    sanj66 wrote: »
    the other issue is the 20% exp event for the rollback, losing an entire day of levelling that we did =/= 20% bonus exp thats basically asking us to do 200% work in leveling but we only get 120%.

Just for what it's worth, by giving everyone Elite for 5 days, it was basically a 220% XP boost, plus the one-hour Rapid XP raising it to 320% (compounded by TERA Rewards). Obviously for the people who were already Elite this doesn't help them, and maybe there should be separate additional compensation for them (once the other Elite issues are fixed). But for the majority of the playerbase who are F2P/non-Elite, it was a pretty significant boost. To make it 100% event boost on top of giving Elite to everyone would have been pretty extreme, particularly given that TERA Rewards XP multiplies everything.