[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance downtime on 10/21 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3 hours. For details, please visit the following link: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

The usual problem: searching for a tank in a dungeon party

Why is it often so difficult to find a tank for random party?
Everyone can have their own style of playing a tank. The defensive and support tank- lancer...
The aggressive and causing a lot of damage tank - brawler...
The agile and difficult to handle tank-warrior in defensive mode.
You can also play tank in low dungeons in emergencies with berserker in aggro stance mode (but doesn't have much support, no enrage , no buffs, only 8 points as a debuff for boss defense).

And the game is also well-prepared for someone who loves to block active (with lancer and defense warrior) or someone who is lazy about blocking and has a permanent buff to block passively (brawler).

I don't understand why there are far too little active tanks in the game.

Comments

• VinyltailsVinyltails ✭✭✭✭
    Because Tanking actually requires skill and people paying attention
  • ExipheusExipheus Kazura (XB1 NA Lakan ) mod
    Heilerchen wrote: »
    Why is it often so difficult to find a tank for random party?
    Everyone can have their own style of playing a tank. The defensive and support tank- lancer...
    The aggressive and causing a lot of damage tank - brawler...
    The agile and difficult to handle tank-warrior in defensive mode.
    You can also play tank in low dungeons in emergencies with berserker in aggro stance mode (but doesn't have much support, no enrage , no buffs, only 8 points as a debuff for boss defense).

And the game is also well-prepared for someone who loves to block active (with lancer and defense warrior) or someone who is lazy about blocking and has a permanent buff to block passively (brawler).

I don't understand why there are far too little active tanks in the game.

You can't just sit there as a tank and block everything. As a tank, you're the center of attention and you must keep that attention. It is your job to maintain aggro and make sure the dps can safely attack the boss. There are also some attacks that cannot be blocked and you must know what those attacks are. Tanking a dungeon means having complete knowledge of the dungeon and boss combos. Especially at higher dungeons. That is why it's hard to find tanks. Not many people can or want to handle all that and some just don't find it fun.
  • Word. Tanking definitely got harder as I leveled up my lancer.
    And I just have to hope the healer is good and will keep the buffs and mana coming.

DPS is just so much easier imo.
  • From using the matchmaking often in the past, the tanks were probably driven off by mean players playing all the other classes.
    There was one where every break between bosses the tank would be reminded why they suxx. Any nice encouragement I could give was scrolled out by endless lines of hostile jabs. It looked miserable, they gave no reply and just toughed it out.
    We made it ok since I warrior offtank, usually if MT is very bad or dead. Seeing all that though, no way will I ever main a tank class. Most of them only had a hard time recognizing the block peircing attacks, and that was still enough to set people off.
  • its like others have stated tanking does require skill but even from my friends that are tank mains it can get a little boring. brawler can be played practically brain-dead at times.
  • Silencer891Silencer891 ✭✭
    edited April 11
    > @JTKWTE6TT7 said:
    > its like others have stated tanking does require skill but even from my friends that are tank mains it can get a little boring. brawler can be played practically brain-dead at times.

Lol so true.
    I started rolling a gunner for leveling event and it's so much more fun and less effort imo.
    Also being a punching bag for BAMs can be exhausting...
  • DatGeekDatGeek ✭✭✭
    Word. Tanking definitely got harder as I leveled up my lancer.
    And I just have to hope the healer is good and will keep the buffs and mana coming.

DPS is just so much easier imo.

"Keep the mana coming"..

Made me giggle lmfao..

Good tanks don't rely on the healer to act like a mana dispenser.
  • ExipheusExipheus Kazura (XB1 NA Lakan ) mod
    Only tank that should really have mana issues is Lancer, especially during A-Rush. A Brawler should never have mana issues as long as they keep their battle solution/nostrum active.
  • Silencer891Silencer891 ✭✭
    edited April 12
    > @Exipheus said:
    > Only tank that should really have mana issues is Lancer, especially during A-Rush. A Brawler should never have mana issues as long as they keep their battle solution/nostrum active.

Ah I probably should have mentioned playing a Lancer... They really have no good way to do a mana replenish imo. HP, no problem.

Also Iron Will drains a ton of mana on unlockable attacks...
  • > @Vinyltails said:
    > Because Tanking actually requires skill and people paying attention

As someone who tanks end game dungeons like vshm.

No it doesnt. Its just tedius.

The real issue is the role of tank is VIEWED as this high pressure role when its not. So people just remain afraid of it
  • Wish more warrior's knew how to tank properly. Warrior is the best tank atm. Highest dps output as tank, and has team buffs
  • TLXTLX ✭✭
    edited April 13
    I do not know if the party matcher know the difference between a warrior tank or a warrior dps :(
  • HGHNWAN7AE wrote: »
    Wish more warrior's knew how to tank properly. Warrior is the best tank atm. Highest dps output as tank, and has team buffs

the reason i dont learn how to be a warrior tank is only one set of glyphs
  • It also doesn't help if half of the healer population while leveling as Mystics has out thrall of protection, and look at you dumb when you ask them to use thrall of life to turn him off. While leveling, ToP really messes up Bam patterns for tanks meaning a slower fight.
  • TLXTLX ✭✭
    It also doesn't help if half of the healer population while leveling as Mystics has out thrall of protection, and look at you dumb when you ask them to use thrall of life to turn him off. While leveling, ToP really messes up Bam patterns for tanks meaning a slower fight.
    I only use the ToP on my human mystic if there are not tanks on the party.