[PS4/XB1] Maintenance has completed! Thank you for your patience!

TERA: Console Chat Guide

After a few requests, I've decided to put together a little guide to the chat system in TERA: Console. I collected screenshots from both consoles to provide a little quality of life and ease for all of you!

Custom Chat Settings Menu

PS_Messages_20190416_2118302.jpg?width=266&height=300
20190416_183559.png?width=272&height=300

This is the menu to customize your 4 chat tabs in any way that you wish. Each tab will have the same options to select from and you simply check (or uncheck) the box for each type of message you'd like to appear or not appear in that tab. You can select all the options or only 1 if you so desire. Additionally, you can adjust the font size by moving the slider just below the tab names (from small to big) and rename each chat tab to suit your needs.

To open this menu, you can press "ENTER" on a keyboard or "Select" (The button with 2 boxes in it for Xbox) and then "X/A" (PS4/Xbox). This will add a popup to the right of your chat box that will allow you to select the custom chat menu. (Shown below)

20190416_190540.png?width=400&height=205
PS_Messages_20190416_2118332.jpg?width=400&height=180

The button shown near "Chat Settings" will open the Custom Chat Menu.
The "Scale UI" option will keep your chat expanded if turned on so you can see more lines of text even when you are not accessing chat

The Colors and What They Mean

Sometimes it can be a bit confusing to know whether your guild can see what you're saying or everyone on the server. Each color and meaning will be explained below!

System (Yellow) These are just system messages. The most common message you'll see from this is "There are events active. Visit the website for more info." Not a channel you are able to type in.

Area (Purple) This is area chat. Everyone in your providence (even different channels) can see what you say in this channel.

Whisper (Pink) Whisper chat. The in game version of private messaging. Only you and the person you are sending the whisper to can see what you say in this. Anytime you receive a whisper, a notification sound will be played.

Information (White) This is general information. Messages from this will usually say "XXX picked up avatar relic weapon". It's generally used as a "player has obtained this item" channel. Also not a channel you are able to type in.

Group (Blue) Group chat. The in game version of group messaging. Only you and other members currently online in your group can see what you say in this. If you are in a raid, only members in your raid group will see what you say in this. (i.e if you are in Group 2, only members of Group 2 will see this).

Group/Raid Leader (Red Orange) This will have a sound with it as well as popup across the center of your screen. Only group leaders or raid leaders can use this and the entire group/raid will be able to see it.

General (White) Also known as Say chat. Everyone within about 100m can see what is typed in this channel.

World (Yellow) World or Global chat. Everyone on the entire server can see what is typed in this channel regardless of their location.

Notices (Red) These are similar to system messages, but less common and are sometimes used to announce server maintenances. Not a channel you can type in.

Battle (Red/Yellow/White) Battle notices. They vary in color depending on the message. If you took damage, died, or a group member died, it will tell you how much damage you took or who died in red. If you landed a critical hit, it'll tell you how much damage you dealt in yellow. If you land an attack that did not crit, it will tell you how much damage you did in white. Not a channel you can type in.

Raid (Gold) Similar to group chat, but everyone in the raid can see what you say in this. Even if they are not in your raid group (i.e If someone in Group 2 says something in this channel, Groups 1, 3, etc will be able to see it as well).

Guild (Green) This is guild chat. Use this to communicate to only your guild members regardless of their location in game. Anyone not in your guild will be unable to see what is typed in this channel.

Chat Restrictions

The chat system for TERA: Console has three restrictions with it:

Timeout Typically, if you send too many messages in chat within a certain amount of time, you may get put on a "timeout" or chat restriction. Do not be alarmed, this is nothing to be concerned about it. All it means is that you will be unable to type in chat for a minute. Simply wait for the timeout to end, and you'll all set!

Inappropriate Words The 2nd restriction is the chat censor. As a general rule of a thumb, anything inappropriate or offensive will not be allowed passed the chat's censor. Sometimes this will include words that you may not expect due to that word containing an inappropriate or offensive word within itself.

Level Restriction
The last and final restriction, is the level requirement. A player must be at least level 20 to use the World/Global chat feature. (The error message says 19, but I found it wouldn't allow me until 20).

Below is a link to a list of commands you can type in chat!
https://forums.enmasse.com/tera/discussion/12710/tera-chat-command-guide

There you have it! If there is anything else you feel I should add, don't hesitate to let me know ^.^

-Kazura, XB1 Lakan

Comments

• Very helpful, thank you! :)
  • ExipheusExipheus Kazura (XB1 NA Lakan ) mod
    Happy to help! :)
  • Thanks so much for this! The only thing I can think of is this. Are there chat restrictions for new players, as in no Global chat until a certain amount of time or a certain level is reached?
    > @Threadmelvin said:
    > Thanks so much for this! The only thing I can think of is this. Are there chat restrictions for new players, as in no Global chat until a certain amount of time or a certain level is reached?

You're very welcome! And yes, you are correct. Let me add that to the post!
  • Player names show up as different colors sometimes, does that indicate what tab/channel they are talking in? If I want to stay local/General with my chat rather then Global, I need to stay in the "General" tab, right? Why do I see everything people post under the 'General' tab? Is it because I need to play with the Chat Tab options and sort out the chat tabs properly? Thanks again for your help!
    Player names show up as different colors sometimes, does that indicate what tab/channel they are talking in? If I want to stay local/General with my chat rather then Global, I need to stay in the "General" tab, right? Why do I see everything people post under the 'General' tab? Is it because I need to play with the Chat Tab options and sort out the chat tabs properly? Thanks again for your help!

Yes, the color of the player's name indicates the channel they are talking in. If you don't want to see Global, you can either stay on a tab that does not have the Global box checked, or you can uncheck Global on all of your tabs. I think there was a bug with lfg posts appearing in channels where they shouldn't if that's what you're referring to. You're welcome!
  • RomZRomZ ✭✭
    You can also avoid lfg spam if you use the default whisper tab for party and raid chat! Helps a lot for call outs
  • Anybody know if the four exclusive chat command special emotes will come to consoles?
  • xDCxxDCx ✭✭
    Speaking of Text chat, how does one hide a gamertag while they text in global?
  • xDCx wrote: »

There is no explicit way. It just happens for some people. But if you go and highlight their name in the chat and get the pop up menu, it will show it there for sure. I haven't seen a case where it doesn't show there even if it's not showing in the chat area.
    Anybody know if the four exclusive chat command special emotes will come to consoles?

We've asked about those, but haven't been able to get any info on them. They're a low priority right now, but I'd guess that those commands will work once those specific emotes are put in the game. They do have requirements as well such as the Elin Kitchen Dance needing a specific maid costume to perform the action.
    xDCx wrote: »

Hiding a gamertag isn't an option, it's a bug that randomly occurs.