Loot Boxes (You knew it was coming)

Earlier Today, the U.S. Senator Proposed a bill to BAN loot boxes and P2W micro Transactions, mainly for games that are played by "minors" that being said, Inthe USA, you are considered a minor if you are under the age of 18, and in many states, gambling (another way to call the loot boxes) is illegal unless you are of age 21 or older.

We saw this coming, in games like Destiny, Fortnite, Apex Legends, but those are the popular ones. Lets talk how this would affect TERA

In the past, we the players talked of ways to bypass the RNG of the loot boxes and its predatory nature. The most talked about points being:
- Add a guaranteed box, more expensive than the regular loot box, that will guarantee that you get what you want.
- Add a failcap to the loot boxes, so that after a specific amount of them being opened, you get what you were looking for.

Both methods were kind of tested in TERA by EME, and both failed to be continued, and EME kept going back to the evil loot boxes.

If you do not know what im talking about, here are the links

https://kotaku.com/u-s-senator-introduces-bill-to-ban-loot-boxes-and-pay-1834612226
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/05/08/upcoming-us-senate-bill-proposes-a-ban-on-loot-boxes

And a video

The question now is, should this bill gets passed (we all gamers hope it does) How will EME react to this? Will you finally listen to the suggestions of the players that you been ignoring for so long? Will you continue with the success that were the Frontera Winter boxes that were pretty much a direct sale of a dyable costume? Will you FINALLY add some sort of failcap to the loot boxes? and no, those noblesse and dragon tokens arent a failcap, a TRUE failcap, would be:
- Open 40 boxes, you get nothing. Open the next box, you get your loot you desired.

Comments

• You know damn well as much as i do if the lootboxes get banned theyll just pull a blade and soul snd empty out the store like they did to belgium.

Only other option is to sell costumes at very high prices or release only non dyable costumes or high priced mount packs

Theyre not changing the entirety of their business model, theyll just fire up a short cut.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know damn well as much as i do if the lootboxes get banned theyll just pull a blade and soul snd empty out the store like they did to belgium.

Only other option is to sell costumes at very high prices or release only non dyable costumes or high priced mount packs

Theyre not changing the entirety of their business model, theyll just fire up a short cut.

Thing is, EME already did tried selling dyable costumes for direct purchase.

The frontera Dyable winter costume was the first, and it was VERY WELL received by the players, a lot of us encouraging EME to keep doing that, and yet EME went back to loot boxes with infinitely low odds of getting a jackpot.

Through the years, players have voiced their concern about the loot boxes. A lot of us even mentioned that we wouldnt mind paying 30 to 50 dollars for a straight purchase.
  • Well pretty sure you aren't really supposed to be playing Tera if you are under the age of 18 *Shrugs shoulders* And since you are guaranteed and Item from a Loot box it's not exactly gambling either.
  • MorokuMoroku ✭✭✭
    Well pretty sure you aren't really supposed to be playing Tera if you are under the age of 18 *Shrugs shoulders* And since you are guaranteed and Item from a Loot box it's not exactly gambling either.

Still considered Pay to win or Pay to progress, it would still be under supervision of the FTC
  • ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, it really is a form of gambling even though you aren't winning cash. However, you kind of are seeing as the prizes have a cash value. It's gambling and seen as an exploit to young minds that will end up in debt as they don't have self control.

Hey, I'm all for anything that gets rid of RNG cash grabs, because I see every game try to sneak that junk in to really rip some people off. Just be honest about what you're selling and just sell it for it's value. I get that peeps make loads of gold off of the lootboxes, but direct sales are just nice to have.Anything that demotes rng gets a thumbs up in my opinion.
  • ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    If anything, Cosmetics should be separated from Consumables.

If you gonna sell cosmetics, sell them for direct purchase, dont lump them in together in the same box with consumables like gold talents andmeta tokens, instead, make a box that is strict purpose is to drop consumables like those.

My suggestion, in light of this new bill that hopefully will get passed for the USA:

- Remove the loot boxes altogether, replace them with Purely direct sales of cosmetics.
    - Instead of having a consumable box, make a Metamorphic token box.
    - Remove the Strongbox keys from the shop, and include em into the game as an earnable item to open the strongboxes.

But this is just my unpopular opinion.
  • As was said, this proposal in particular is unlikely to impact TERA because it targets minors specifically, and I think it's more likely that EME would implement stronger controls to restrict access to minors, rather than changing their business practices if this specific proposal were to pass.

That doesn't mean that there won't other be other regulatory pressure, or changes as a result of self-regulation, if the gaming industry feels that the odds of legislation that threaten their business model is too high.

I've always said that posted odds and a failure cap should be the minimum every gaming company should do to create a good long-term customer experience, and I still stand by that. Unfortunately, companies like EME (and many others) don't seem to want to do anything more than bare minimum they are legally required to do, which is why we need this sort of legislative industry pressure.

All this being said, it should probably be noted that their cash shop model has shifted a lot in the last few years, and there are a lot less cosmetics being added and a lot more consumables. A lot of these kinds of consumable lootboxes (gems, talents, etc.) don't really have the same sort of "grand prize" that a cosmetic loot box has, so this idea of having a failure cap becomes a bit trickier. (Is the "prize" for a gem lootbox whatever the highest possible amount of gems you can get is? Or is it just any amount that's within a certain "prize threshold"?) Something like the skill re-roll thing for companions they just added is also kind of complicated; would you let people choose their skill after a certain number of rolls for each particular companion? The more they incorporate RNG into these other aspects of the cash shop, the trickier it is to actually untangle.
  • EJECWCWG55EJECWCWG55 ✭✭✭
    I will glady pay $30-$50 for a dyeble-rare costume than $300 on lootboxes and fail to get it.
  • GunnerKaeGunnerKae (YouTube.com/tolate24) Kaelyni ✭✭
    If the costumes are good I dont mind paying for the dyable one straight up. I bought the Frontera frost suit, and I love it.
    Totally worth it imo over buying a pile of loot boxes.
  • TheCatalystTheCatalyst ✭✭✭
    As was said, this proposal in particular is unlikely to impact TERA because it targets minors specifically, and I think it's more likely that EME would implement stronger controls to restrict access to minors, rather than changing their business practices if this specific proposal were to pass.

^ This.

And also, people should be allowed to swipe if they wanted too.
    I mean... adult peeple.
    :smiley:
  • KrystalineKrystaline ✭✭
    edited May 9
    A colleague and I were just discussing this and his understanding is that in other countries with a similar law, they are still able to sell loot boxes provided the reward is no longer random. They have to publish the reward table so you're able to figure out exactly how many boxes you'll have to buy to get the particular item you want, but the boxes themselves still exist.
    EJECWCWG55 wrote: »
    I will glady pay $30-$50 for a dyeble-rare costume than $300 on lootboxes and fail to get it.

Absolutely. I opened so many boxes to get a vermilion kirin and never did get one that way (enough to get half a dozen crimson, to give you an idea of just how many I opened). I'd have gladly paid for one outright. I wish it had been an option.

Side note: the companion boxes are awful. I've got hundreds of organic pet food I can't use because I don't have any pets, nor are they tradeable. At least with the other boxes you can sell the items you don't want so you get something back for your money.
  • MiliceMilice ✭✭
    > The US pass a bill to ban lootboxes in games for minors
    > All games change their ToS to make you agree that you are an adult and keeps the lootboxes just the same
    Everyone:
    sohWhy9.jpg
  • SocateKunSocateKun ✭✭
    In Belgium any kind of loot box are banned, no matter how old are you is illegal there to have loot boxes in games.