[TERA PC & Console] En Masse is closing, but TERA lives on! We will continue to support TERA PC (NA) and TERA Console until services are transferred. Our Service Moving Info page is now live here: https://bit.ly/tera_service_moving

Concerns on current game state and some proposed solutions (PVE specific)

This post is to summarize some major problems and concerns related to current game state, as well as to propose some solutions (PVE specific). Some of the issues are universal to players from all levels, some are more specific to end game PVE players. Apologize first for the long post here, but I believe these are among the most important issues in Tera now that are causing major depression and disappointments among the (already shrinking) playerbase, and I try to be constructive here instead of just raging and venting. I wish EME do listen from our community and take actions accordingly.

Current issues :

1. Adventure coin system

The Adventure Coin system is not bad in theory but it is implemented poorly. I admit that this system may be better for players who only spam low ilvl dungeons which requires very low coins per entry. However, the coin system is extremely bad for end game PVE players. For example, before lvl 70 patch, with the old reset scroll system, we can do 4 Bahaar + 4 GLSHM + whatever the other lower ilvl dungeons in a roll, using the reset scrolls in a few hours and run as many. Yet now we are eliminated by only 4 or 5 ilvl 455+ dungeons then we can barely run anything in the rest of the day. The incoming hard mode dungeons, GVHM and DFHM are costing more coins, which makes this problem even worse. Some white knights may argue that there are a lot more “open world content” you can play on outside of dungeons, however, not everyone likes the Tera open world content, which is literally just mindless bam grinding. It seems that the current developers are pushing open world content for (probably) more diversity in Tera, but Tera end game is still featured by dungeons and gearing focused, yet this coin system is literally discouraging people to play end game. One can argue that you can only run high end dungeons on your main and use alts to run other dungeons that gives scrolls, infusion gear and other mats. However, there are many people I know only play on one character (who are getting hurt the most by this coin system), and with current state of game, it takes tremendous amount of time and effort to gear and level another character. In addition, so far the only “solution” that EME has provided for the coin system is a rng coin loot box, which, in my honest opinion, is a slam in face of everyone. We pay for elite status yet there is no longer anything equivalent to the old reset scroll from elite boxes. To play this game we need to even pay more on these coin rng boxes? The way that the current system is discouraging people to play end game dungeons is definitely not acceptable and need improvement.  

2. Post lvl 65 leveling exp and skill exp

I understand that it is supposed to be a “long journey” for this part, but long journey does not mean a painful journey given the amount of grinding it requires now. Let’s admit that there is a huge lack of content now and currently, the most efficient way of obtaining exp is through bam hunting, which is mind-numbing, not mention that bam hunting can be very unfriendly to under-geared / inexperienced players as well as certain classes such as lancer and mystic.
As I stated before, Tera is still a dungeon- centered game, however ironically, exp from dungeon bosses is low compared to the exp you can obtain from bams within similar playtime and HEAVILY eliminated by the coin system. As for skill exp, it is only obtainable through bam hunting, fishing and only one dungeon which is GVNM currently (in PVE). Obtaining skill exp from dungeon (GVNM) is again heavily eliminated by the coin system. In summary the current system is “forcing” people to bam grinding and/or fish botting for leveling exp and skill exp (I will not discuss problems related to fish botting here as this should be separated topic), none of these options are considered to be "fun".

3. Partner system

This system is noxious from how it milks real money and by far the most cancerous rng system I have ever experienced. There are two ways to obtain pets: 1) from the loot box, which is only available from emp shop, and 2) gather legacy essence in game, which has an incredibly low drop rate (as an example, I myself spammed GVNM on 3 characters after its release, and I farmed bams on my alt in the past two weeks, yet I only got 5 legacy essences so far. You need 10 to get a pet). So literally option 2 is almost impossible for most people to get a partner in the end. Now to make your pets into a partner, you either combine two lvl 10 pets into a guaranteed partner, or using evolution cure to evolve one lvl 10 pet, which has only ~20% success rate (and not mention how expensive/time consuming to get a single cure). Again this pushes people to go on the lootbox track for a partner. But does paying for lootbox guarantee you a good partner? The answer is no, because the fellowship you can obtain from promoting your partner is again purely rng. In the end, you can spend millions but still get nothing out of it, which is extremely discouraging.

4. Gold sinks and heavy rng implemented systems.

This part refers to gear upgrade/enchanting, relics/halidom, partner system and infusion gears. I don’t want to say too much in detail here as most people already realized how impossible to obtain BiS gear given the ridiculous layers of rng, amount of gold and hours of grind required, not mention the p2w options that are recently introduced (the partner and coin system). Here are just some example simulations on how much gold you have to dump in to get a high tier relic/halidom, and how many pets you need to get a decent partner (https://repl.it/@ElBanditoVince/blueRelics, https://repl.it/@ElBanditoVince/partnairShitySystem) (credit to Vince from EU tera) . All these heavy rng implemented “contents” and grindy/p2w implementation result in greater disparity between players which I don’t think is healthy sign for a game that is party oriented and gearing focused. Another side effect of such poor implementation is that it stimulates botting and exploits (for gold and some enchanting materials).

5. Etching materials, and lack of source for other enchanting materials

Upon releasing lvl 70 patch, Krafton(BHS) removed the major sources for etching mats (referring to titan's peace, fire, storm and earth here) from metamorphic token shop, IOD token shop and dungeon drops. Now the only way to obtain these materials is through pit of petrax or mining, both have very low drop (abysmal compared to what we had before). This makes making etching accessory etchings almost impossible for most people except a few whales who intentionally stored tons of etching mats pre-patch (which will cause problems in future economy as we can tell). The reason why Krafton remove the source of these materials is unknown, but the fact that there is no other effective way of obtaining them is nonsense. The incoming patch will introduce new accessory sets, yet we do not have mats to make new etchings.

Another example for lacking of source for common enchanting material is golden talent, which has been a long-standing issue in NA Tera. The current major in-game sources for golden talent are from low-tier IOD bam VG (7 per box from one vg completion without event), 412-431 dungeons, and rng loot (a few tens) from amplifier box as a vg reward from ilvl 451+ dungeons (and you can only claim one such box upon the first clear on selected dungeons per character). Jackpots from strongboxes is another golden talent source, but this does not apply to most players due to the p2w factor embedded in this option. A reminder is that one single trial for enchanting higher-tier SC and HO gear enchanting requires hundreds of golden talents, so there is a serious undersupply issue here. Also, for some odd reason, there is almost no talent source from ilvl 435-450 dungeons, which makes people who are on gear progression within this ilvl range suffer.

For the problems addressed above, here I propose some solutions:

1. Many of the issues related to dungeon entries and exp/skill exp can be solved by a better adventure coin system. The coin system should make us be able to run as many end game dungeons as we could before, instead of eliminating it. We now definitely need a revamp to elite status as it is losing its value post lvl 70 patch. Elite status should include something equivalent to the old reset scroll, such as instant and haste coins in elite gift/daily boxes. Coin regen rate for elite players should also be increased.
2. Reduce the coin cost in high ilvl end game dungeons, such as bahaar, gvnm and the incoming gvhm and dfhm, and/or Increase the maximum amount of coin we can get per day.
3. Add haste coins in vg shop as other regions (EU and RU) already did.
4. Daily reset of coins as what we had before for dungeon entry reset.
5. It's ok that sometimes we have to pay extra for more adventure coins, but the rng implementation on it is not acceptable (and the major reason to cause rages among the community). A fixed-amount coin loot box will be more welcomed. In addition, making these loot boxes tradable in game would be more than helpful.
6. Increase exp gain from dungeon bosses, adding skill exp book drop in every dungeon (not just gvnm or selected dungeons). The amount of exp and skill exp one can obtain should be scaled with dungeon difficulties.
7. Increase drop rate of legacy essence in both open world mobs/bams and dungeons.
8. Add more options to obtain etching materials. Put etching materials back to token shops, dungeon drops and even strongbox. Add more dungeon sources for golden talent, and probably add gold talent in dungeon Delver coin shop as what EU tera is doing. More strongbox jackpot events would be helpful to refresh the market supply of these enchanting materials.
9. Reduce the gold cost of high-end gear upgrading/enchanting, relics/halidoms and partner system, and/or increase success rate on high-end gear enchanting.

In summary, the current game is (unfortunately) going on a path that is more and more rng/grinding/p2w implemented, which has been discouraging and driving away many players. But I believe there is something that our publisher can do to make the situation better and make game more enjoyable, such as applying regional changes on coin system, loot adjustment (as other regional publishers are doing), hosting events for enchanting materials. For issues related to core content in the game, I sincerely wish EME can at least pass our community opinions to Krafton (BHS) for a better evaluation and improvement on current game state.

-by Jadeite from Kaiator

Comments

• gheneaghenea ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    those issues got addressed plenty, yet no eme staffer bothered giving a proper answer and while we have some players white-knighting this system for whatever reason, others just try to push all the fault on the krafton devs when most of the problems could have been fixed by appropriate regional changes, thus showing how actually eme is at fault as well (maybe even more than krafton) for the current situation.

before rollback for example, semi-enigmatic scrolls would dismantle for what, 300 entropic emblems? if i remember correctly, that is.
    now they are back to 28 without a valid reason: they fixed the exploit and made the scrolls junk again...
    just imagine what an awesome source of talents they could have been, actually rewarding you for farming bams for hours and collecting a good number of those scrolls to dismantle: probably enmasse thought it was "too convenient" and together with the exploit fix they nerfed its worth back to pre-70 patch as well.

chances are, tho, that this post will get no answer just like every other post concerning the same topics and issues, cause either they have no clue how to move or no will to, in both cases, they are plenty at fault and no retorical and shady argument by the usual well-known whales will convince the playerbase of the opposite.
  • Kahgeo wrote: »
    This post is to summarize some major problems and concerns related to current game state, as well as to propose some solutions (PVE specific). Some of the issues are universal to players from all levels, some are more specific to end game PVE players. Apologize first for the long post here, but I believe these are among the most important issues in Tera now that are causing major depression and disappointments among the (already shrinking) playerbase, and I try to be constructive here instead of just raging and venting. I wish EME do listen from our community and take actions accordingly.

Current issues :

1. Adventure coin system

The Adventure Coin system is not bad in theory but it is implemented poorly. I admit that this system may be better for players who only spam low ilvl dungeons which requires very low coins per entry. However, the coin system is extremely bad for end game PVE players. For example, before lvl 70 patch, with the old reset scroll system, we can do 4 Bahaar + 4 GLSHM + whatever the other lower ilvl dungeons in a roll, using the reset scrolls in a few hours and run as many. Yet now we are eliminated by only 4 or 5 ilvl 455+ dungeons then we can barely run anything in the rest of the day. The incoming hard mode dungeons, GVHM and DFHM are costing more coins, which makes this problem even worse. Some white knights may argue that there are a lot more “open world content” you can play on outside of dungeons, however, not everyone likes the Tera open world content, which is literally just mindless bam grinding. It seems that the current developers are pushing open world content for (probably) more diversity in Tera, but Tera end game is still featured by dungeons and gearing focused, yet this coin system is literally discouraging people to play end game. One can argue that you can only run high end dungeons on your main and use alts to run other dungeons that gives scrolls, infusion gear and other mats. However, there are many people I know only play on one character (who are getting hurt the most by this coin system), and with current state of game, it takes tremendous amount of time and effort to gear and level another character. In addition, so far the only “solution” that EME has provided for the coin system is a rng coin loot box, which, in my honest opinion, is a slam in face of everyone. We pay for elite status yet there is no longer anything equivalent to the old reset scroll from elite boxes. To play this game we need to even pay more on these coin rng boxes? The way that the current system is discouraging people to play end game dungeons is definitely not acceptable and need improvement.  

I understand that it is supposed to be a “long journey” for this part, but long journey does not mean a painful journey given the amount of grinding it requires now. Let’s admit that there is a huge lack of content now and currently, the most efficient way of obtaining exp is through bam hunting, which is mind-numbing, not mention that bam hunting can be very unfriendly to under-geared / inexperienced players as well as certain classes such as lancer and mystic.
    As I stated before, Tera is still a dungeon- centered game, however ironically, exp from dungeon bosses is low compared to the exp you can obtain from bams within similar playtime and HEAVILY eliminated by the coin system. As for skill exp, it is only obtainable through bam hunting, fishing and only one dungeon which is GVNM currently (in PVE). Obtaining skill exp from dungeon (GVNM) is again heavily eliminated by the coin system. In summary the current system is “forcing” people to bam grinding and/or fish botting for leveling exp and skill exp (I will not discuss problems related to fish botting here as this should be separated topic), none of these options are considered to be "fun".

3. Partner system

This system is noxious from how it milks real money and by far the most cancerous rng system I have ever experienced. There are two ways to obtain pets: 1) from the loot box, which is only available from emp shop, and 2) gather legacy essence in game, which has an incredibly low drop rate (as an example, I myself spammed GVNM on 3 characters after its release, and I farmed bams on my alt in the past two weeks, yet I only got 5 legacy essences so far. You need 10 to get a pet). So literally option 2 is almost impossible for most people to get a partner in the end. Now to make your pets into a partner, you either combine two lvl 10 pets into a guaranteed partner, or using evolution cure to evolve one lvl 10 pet, which has only ~20% success rate (and not mention how expensive/time consuming to get a single cure). Again this pushes people to go on the lootbox track for a partner. But does paying for lootbox guarantee you a good partner? The answer is no, because the fellowship you can obtain from promoting your partner is again purely rng. In the end, you can spend millions but still get nothing out of it, which is extremely discouraging.

This part refers to gear upgrade/enchanting, relics/halidom, partner system and infusion gears. I don’t want to say too much in detail here as most people already realized how impossible to obtain BiS gear given the ridiculous layers of rng, amount of gold and hours of grind required, not mention the p2w options that are recently introduced (the partner and coin system). Here are just some example simulations on how much gold you have to dump in to get a high tier relic/halidom, and how many pets you need to get a decent partner (https://repl.it/@ElBanditoVince/blueRelics, https://repl.it/@ElBanditoVince/partnairShitySystem) (credit to Vince from EU tera) . All these heavy rng implemented “contents” and grindy/p2w implementation result in greater disparity between players which I don’t think is healthy sign for a game that is party oriented and gearing focused. Another side effect of such poor implementation is that it stimulates botting and exploits (for gold and some enchanting materials).

Upon releasing lvl 70 patch, Krafton(BHS) removed the major sources for etching mats (referring to titan's peace, fire, storm and earth here) from metamorphic token shop, IOD token shop and dungeon drops. Now the only way to obtain these materials is through pit of petrax or mining, both have very low drop (abysmal compared to what we had before). This makes making etching accessory etchings almost impossible for most people except a few whales who intentionally stored tons of etching mats pre-patch (which will cause problems in future economy as we can tell). The reason why Krafton remove the source of these materials is unknown, but the fact that there is no other effective way of obtaining them is nonsense. The incoming patch will introduce new accessory sets, yet we do not have mats to make new etchings.

Another example for lacking of source for common enchanting material is golden talent, which has been a long-standing issue in NA Tera. The current major in-game sources for golden talent are from low-tier IOD bam VG (7 per box from one vg completion without event), 412-431 dungeons, and rng loot (a few tens) from amplifier box as a vg reward from ilvl 451+ dungeons (and you can only claim one such box upon the first clear on selected dungeons per character). Jackpots from strongboxes is another golden talent source, but this does not apply to most players due to the p2w factor embedded in this option. A reminder is that one single trial for enchanting higher-tier SC and HO gear enchanting requires hundreds of golden talents, so there is a serious undersupply issue here. Also, for some odd reason, there is almost no talent source from ilvl 435-450 dungeons, which makes people who are on gear progression within this ilvl range suffer.

1. Many of the issues related to dungeon entries and exp/skill exp can be solved by a better adventure coin system. The coin system should make us be able to run as many end game dungeons as we could before, instead of eliminating it. We now definitely need a revamp to elite status as it is losing its value post lvl 70 patch. Elite status should include something equivalent to the old reset scroll, such as instant and haste coins in elite gift/daily boxes. Coin regen rate for elite players should also be increased.
    2. Reduce the coin cost in high ilvl end game dungeons, such as bahaar, gvnm and the incoming gvhm and dfhm, and/or Increase the maximum amount of coin we can get per day.
    5. It's ok that sometimes we have to pay extra for more adventure coins, but the rng implementation on it is not acceptable (and the major reason to cause rages among the community). A fixed-amount coin loot box will be more welcomed. In addition, making these loot boxes tradable in game would be more than helpful.
    6. Increase exp gain from dungeon bosses, adding skill exp book drop in every dungeon (not just gvnm or selected dungeons). The amount of exp and skill exp one can obtain should be scaled with dungeon difficulties.
    7. Increase drop rate of legacy essence in both open world mobs/bams and dungeons.
    8. Add more options to obtain etching materials. Put etching materials back to token shops, dungeon drops and even strongbox. Add more dungeon sources for golden talent, and probably add gold talent in dungeon Delver coin shop as what EU tera is doing. More strongbox jackpot events would be helpful to refresh the market supply of these enchanting materials.
    9. Reduce the gold cost of high-end gear upgrading/enchanting, relics/halidoms and partner system, and/or increase success rate on high-end gear enchanting.

In summary, the current game is (unfortunately) going on a path that is more and more rng/grinding/p2w implemented, which has been discouraging and driving away many players. But I believe there is something that our publisher can do to make the situation better and make game more enjoyable, such as applying regional changes on coin system, loot adjustment (as other regional publishers are doing), hosting events for enchanting materials. For issues related to core content in the game, I sincerely wish EME can at least pass our community opinions to Krafton (BHS) for a better evaluation and improvement on current game state.

-by Jadeite from Kaiator

It seems that the current developers are pushing open world content for (probably) more diversity in TeraIt seems that the current developers are pushing open world content for (probably) more diversity in Tera

Ding ding ding, but they're blind to see the greed behind players. People treat this game like a job. Solo content fails due to this (people griefing people not well connected, taking over farm channels, etc), group content fails due to this (people entering hard statics and neglecting anyone else).
    No one will ever break into this game and love it with the trend that has been happening. Bring back raid instances, bring back newbie joy of partying that gives bonus drops. Remove the mindless SOLO grind and incentivize large scale partying for open world content.
  • 7XGN9L6GJ7 wrote: »
    Kahgeo wrote: »

Current issues :

1. Adventure coin system

3. Partner system

-by Jadeite from Kaiator

It seems that the current developers are pushing open world content for (probably) more diversity in TeraIt seems that the current developers are pushing open world content for (probably) more diversity in Tera

Ding ding ding, but they're blind to see the greed behind players. People treat this game like a job. Solo content fails due to this (people griefing people not well connected, taking over farm channels, etc), group content fails due to this (people entering hard statics and neglecting anyone else).
    No one will ever break into this game and love it with the trend that has been happening. Bring back raid instances, bring back newbie joy of partying that gives bonus drops. Remove the mindless SOLO grind and incentivize large scale partying for open world content.

New players and less-established players are literally janitors being [filtered] on by the people that have made themselves CEO's within the game populace.
  • dragonmu12dragonmu12 Israel ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    100% Agree On everything , But Haste Coins is Not enough at all and Gameforge understand that.
    Eu have this now Because they LISTEN!!!!!!!!!!:
    zvdbt0.jpg
  • SerenadeSerenade ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    We really do need the coins in VG shop.

Make it happen please ;p.
  • ghenea wrote: »
    before rollback for example, semi-enigmatic scrolls would dismantle for what, 300 entropic emblems? if i remember correctly, that is.
    now they are back to 28 without a valid reason: they fixed the exploit and made the scrolls junk again...
    just imagine what an awesome source of talents they could have been, actually rewarding you for farming bams for hours and collecting a good number of those scrolls to dismantle: probably enmasse thought it was "too convenient" and together with the exploit fix they nerfed its worth back to pre-70 patch as well.

If you actually want to know the reason why: no other regions dropped semis from BAMs the way we do, as that was a region-specific deviation. As a result, semis are much much more plentiful in our market than they were in K-TERA, which is where the 800 entropic dismantle rate came from. The dismantle rate is a function of the rarity. Unless they make semis just as rare in our region as they were in K-TERA, they weren't going to keep K-TERA's dismantle rate.

You're basically proposing a choice that is never actually on the table: allowing things to be unbalanced on purpose because it will make the game easier. The current EME team will simply never do that. If people say something's unbalanced, they ask BHS if it's what was intended. So choices like what you're proposing are simply not up for consideration no matter how much anyone asks.

We've been harping ad nauseum about how the current balance really sucks, is turning everyone away, is counterproductive to both playtime metrics and revenue generation, and on and on. (Most of the OP's nine proposed solutions were already raised directly.) But assuming they actually take any of that to heart and try to fix the problems, no one was going to "fool them" in to backdooring it in by keeping the K-TERA dismantle rate on semis. It's not because of any argument from "whales" or anyone else.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghenea wrote: »

How is the reasoning invalid? You obviously didn't witness what actually happened.

1) Buy a Semi-Enigmatic Scroll for 28 emblems
    2) Dismantle it for 800 emblems. That's a 2857% return of the initial investment.
    3) Repeat Steps 1 and 2 ad nauseum.

This meant one had a literal self-sustaining engine capable of producing (almost) whatever enchanting mat you needed and you only needed a single SES in order to get it going. Outside of various gems, what reason do I have to do anything regarding upgrades when the game itself can just create what I need when I need it?

Now, couple this with NA-TERA's overabundance of people desiring wealth above all else (part of the reason why Blood on the Beach 2018 was a flaming pile of popori feces compared to 2017, I'm sure). Now you have a marketplace with hundreds of people selling thousands upon thousands upon thousands of talents and whatever else the exploit could produce.

Oh, and this would've created a massive spike in SES costs on the Broker as well. And don't tell me it wouldn't have happened - anyone who remembers the debacle around the Arsenal update would see this coming a mile off.

I want an easier time with upgrading and enchanting as much as the next person, but do you honestly believe the game would've been better off had EME left things as they were?
  • edited May 2019
    SageWindu wrote: »
    I want an easier time with upgrading and enchanting as much as the next person, but do you honestly believe the game would've been better off had EME left things as they were?

In fairness to their point, after they fixed the actual exploit aspect (dismantling for more emblems than the purchase price, creating basically an infinite dupe), there was a brief period of time (a few days) when they left the dismantle price (and purchase price) at 800 emblems. I think it's this part they are suggesting EME could have left as is (since SES is farmable in our region, and being able to trade for 800 emblems would create a regular supply of talents, thus decreasing the price). But as I went on to say, an approach like that was never really an option. If we were going to permanently revert to K-TERA's pricing, they would also have reverted to K-TERA's supply rarity, and that wouldn't have been better for anyone (once the current supply ran out).