[PS4/XB1] Maintenance has completed! Thank you for your patience!

How do you guys do it?

So i was about to log in my game and said to myself what I need to get done today. After going thru my laundry list (in my head) of what needed to get done I began to sigh and I said out loud to myself "but I did that yesterday". I don't pvp (don't pvp on any game) so i never worry about that. Just dreading knowing i have to yet again do 40 Legion missions, then do my typical dungeon runs, as well as filling doing dailies and Vanguards.

I'm like 1 months in (lvl 65) and already I am burnt out. I feel I do so much but my progress (level) has halted. I dread having to log in knowing I will be doing the same Vanguards and dungeons and dailies hitting the same combo hotkeys.

I like the game I really do, but as I log into this game I "sigh". I guess I could take a break but I like said its only been a month or so. How do you guys manage to keep going?

Comments

• ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a guild and friends you can play with? they make a huge difference.

Also, try other games, to prevent the burnout, maybe you need to test other games and swich in between those games and TERA.
    Is what i do and i been here for 7 years, never felt the burnout.
  • kori83kori83 ✭✭
    edited May 29
    XEP3TKEFNC wrote: »
    So i was about to log in my game and said to myself what I need to get done today. After going thru my laundry list (in my head) of what needed to get done I began to sigh and I said out loud to myself "but I did that yesterday". I don't pvp (don't pvp on any game) so i never worry about that. Just dreading knowing i have to yet again do 40 Legion missions, then do my typical dungeon runs, as well as filling doing dailies and Vanguards.

I'm like 1 months in (lvl 65) and already I am burnt out.

Why do you have to do so much?
    Sounds like this game has become a chore to you, with a list of stuff to be "crossed off", rather than enjoyment.

I would burn out too, if I did that much. I understand peer pressure - my guildies do 16 vanguards a day, but I do the amount I want, chat with them, have a great time. No one has ever discriminate against me "oh, you can't run with us if you don't have HO". I hit 66 slower than most, but again, I wasn't shunned for it. In fact, I was offered to be carried in the harder runs, and people helped out generously.

Everyone has their pace.

I like the game I really do, but as I log into this game I "sigh". I guess I could take a break but I like said its only been a month or so. How do you guys manage to keep going?

I can't really tell you what to do, but here's what I do:

First off, I work out of town, so I'm online about 4-5 days / week, not every day. Makes a huge difference.

Run 1 or 2 dungeons when I'm online. I prefer RK-9, gls, Red Refuge, sometimes Ghilliglade.
    I get tired after 2-3 runs, so then afk fish and go for a walk outside, or do something else around the house. It's also good for health.

Like Zoknahal said, the key is to pace yourself - don't just sit there cuz you "have to" do all those things. You don't.
    You play this game, cuz you want to play it, for fun.

• LeucosiasLeucosias ✭✭
    kori83 wrote: »
    Like Zoknahal said, the key is to pace yourself - don't just sit there cuz you "have to" do all those things. You don't.
    You play this game, cuz you want to play it, for fun.

+1 this here. I really recommend you find a good guild or some friends that you can go into voice chat with via discord or something. It makes things much easier to bear instead of just quietly going through your chains. Also, I recommend every so often switching it up with a new class. I'm at HO on my lancer, and I love to tank, but that doesn't mean I don't need a serious break from it sometimes and switch classes for a couple weeks. Even if it turns out you don't like the class you switched to, you go back to the one you do jive with with a better appreciation for it.

Just remember to notice how you've been improving, even if your gear is doing so at a snail's pace. I'm there, trust me. I've been at full +1 for months now, doing the same dungeon for the stupid freakin' pendulums, buuut... I pace myself.
  • I fashion, it's more fun. I customize my characters, fly around, show it off, and goof off. And then I occasionally quest or venture. "Fashion is the true endgame!" But in any case, you really shouldn't feel "have to" enter the equation with a game, it's a game because you DON'T have to.
  • I'm a serial reroller. I like doing the story quests, exploring the world, gathering, soloing the lower level 5-man dungeons to see if I can kill the bosses on my own, etc. I tend to get a character through the Apex and Guardian/Frostmetal quests, then buy SC pieces as I can afford them while rolling a new character and doing occasional dungeons with my guild on the old character.

Stepstone Island kind of sucks because it doesn't change and there's no way around it, but once you get past that point you level quickly enough to be able to choose which story quest chains to follow and which to skip. I've leveled several new characters and while the destination is the same, the path I take each time is a little different.

• I feel some of the posters here are missing the point. The OP wants to progress, some of the above is counter-productive to progression.

Truth is, there's very little you can do to stop it from feeling like a job if progression is your main goal. The focus has shifted around over the years as to exactly what you're required to do with your time, now much more toward solo grinds than dungeons with friends unfortunately, but the point remains that there is an insane amount of work required to make notable progress and a lot of pressure in some dungeons and groups to have made that progress.

Literally the best thing you can do is probably just do away with your laundry list entirely and focus on short term goals rather than the long term grind. What dungeons do you want to run today? What's an item you want to try and get? Maybe there's something relatively affordable that you want to raise the funds for and buy?

I'm not going to tell you to "go find friends" because as an introvert I know this can be far easier said than done. Having people to chat to and run with will change your life, but depending on what type of person you are...best of luck finding them.
  • TJKatTJKat ✭✭✭
    Diversify your goals. So when progression starts to feel like a chore, pick something else to focus on. Play through the story, try to check off all the quests in an area, pick some achievements and work towards them. One time when I was burnt out on progress, I picked three titles I wanted and set about getting them. This month I've pretty much completely neglected leveling to focus on anniversary stuff. TBH, I have no idea how people grind guardians and other dailies either. That's why I have a variety of objectives; if I don't feel like doing one of them on any given day, there's always something else to do.
  • Hey everyone OP here, I appreciate the feedback. I guess I shouldn't keep beating myself up just to keep up. I'm doing lowbie quests that give like 5 silvers and such to change the pace. As one said earlier it's just knowing the pressure (I put on myself) to keep up is immense, and that is not the games fault (or is it? hmmm). Thanks for advice I haven't even done crafting yet so I'll do that as well.
  • SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simple: I play other games.

"Okay, I think I'm done with TERA for no- oh s**t, is that a new Warframe about to drop? Balance patch in Smite? How much time do I have to finish this quest in Fortnite? New league in Path of Exile in about a week? One of my favorite games of all time is backwards-compatible on my Xbox?!" And so on.

It works for me.
  • ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭

I'm like 1 months in (lvl 65) and already I am burnt out. I feel I do so much but my progress (level) has halted. I dread having to log in knowing I will be doing the same Vanguards and dungeons and dailies hitting the same combo hotkeys.

Many people that play this game don't even bother with the leveling up the gear and trying to get top stats, top gear and all that other bull. We just hang out during events and maybe play a bit here and there.

Branch out and find other games to play as well. I think the people that only play Tera get too involved in it. There is a lot of stuff out there, and maybe, you'll find something more suited to your taste. Then, you can come back to Tera during events or whenever.
  • XandervbXandervb ✭✭✭
    You may want to sell some EMP. A few extra hours in your day job totally beats weeks of mat grinding. Tera has been shifting more and more towards "pay 2 start" model. After the initial "demo" period of smooth progression, you find out that the "fun" content is locked behind a few weeks on mind-numbing grind - which can be drastically sped up for a certain amount of money.

Many people would rather spend a few extra hours at their day job than spend days in IoD. It is up to you if you want to pay with your money or wasted time. This is a new business model of Tera, as opposed to the previous "subscription for convenience + paid cosmetics".
  • ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭
    Xandervb wrote: »
    You may want to sell some EMP. A few extra hours in your day job totally beats weeks of mat grinding. Tera has been shifting more and more towards "pay 2 start" model. After the initial "demo" period of smooth progression, you find out that the "fun" content is locked behind a few weeks on mind-numbing grind - which can be drastically sped up for a certain amount of money.

Many people would rather spend a few extra hours at their day job than spend days in IoD. It is up to you if you want to pay with your money or wasted time. This is a new business model of Tera, as opposed to the previous "subscription for convenience + paid cosmetics".

I don't think gold can get you to 70, and you'd have to sell a lot of EMP in order to get enough to buy top gear. Personally, I would not suggest selling EMP. The whole point to leveling up gear is to be able to do higher level dungeons. If you don't want to grind those, what's your point for getting top gear? Selling EMP plays right into the hands of BHS doesn't it? Make everything so tough that players give up and swipe their way to the top. Plus, if the OP is already getting burnt out, are they just gonna keep swiping with each big update when new gear is introduced?

It's simple, gear for the dungeons you want to do. If you're really into learning high level dungeons, getting into a guild will help. If you're doing everything solo (which the OP seems to be doing most of), ask yourself what you're going to do after you get top gear? If your answer isn't doing top level dungeons, then why burn yourself out?
  • SageWindu wrote: »
    Simple: I play other games.

"Okay, I think I'm done with TERA for no- oh s**t, is that a new Warframe about to drop? Balance patch in Smite? How much time do I have to finish this quest in Fortnite? New league in Path of Exile in about a week? One of my favorite games of all time is backwards-compatible on my Xbox?!" And so on.

It works for me.

>Quests in fortnite
    LUL
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    You don't because you waste too much time doing your daily farming routine and not playing the actual game. Lvl 70 patch was the last straw for us because the grind and time to get BIS is too much because we are competitive and like to do moongourd runs Now half play WoW or FFXIV and were having a blast doing [filtered] togheter.