Is TERA worth playing?

Comments

• For me? Disregard loot boxes entirely, and the games pretty solid :) If you focus on just experiencing the game and take it slowly, it's actually really good to sit around and lazily go through the game to enjoy yourself.

If you go to the "business aspect" which is, the outfits, the items, the elite edges, the bottom line is you don't need "perfect maxed out gear" unless you're speedrunning or trying to simply prove you can do it. You can earn basically everything in this game if you take the time to save up gold after you invest in what you enjoy doing. The only emp things I "can" recommend are account bound items, cause those actually are worth it to me :P.

For the "playing aspect", the mechanics are improving every few months, and while it might not be fast improvement on some issues, they are improving. If you have friends to play with, the game is a million times better than solo, but the problem is in keeping a consistent group, that's what guilds are for :P. I'm not a fan of groups or guilds tho unless I like the people, which is also rare, so I tend to stick to occasionally teaming up with a random group instead xD. I love the "fashion" aspect of all games I play, so I try to make it cool/pretty and in the colors I like. And by focusing on what I like rather than what I don't, the game is lots more fun that way.

The battlegrounds need more than a bit of a rework, but they can be really fun when you get in the swing of things.

The only major thing that scares most people away is the grind, and it's grindy as all get out. But again, if you take it in stride, it's not bad.
  • KantazoKantazo ✭✭
    As a new player I can agree with all the opinions here. It is hard to enter many dungeons because they required higher level of armor etc but to get those items you must do those dungeons, do that makes any sense? Sounds exactly like the old WoW, with the requirements for dungeons, The prices in the auction house are impossible for newer players unless you buy gold through 3rd parties and if you get caught you are banned.
  • Kantazo wrote: »
    As a new player I can agree with all the opinions here. It is hard to enter many dungeons because they required higher level of armor etc but to get those items you must do those dungeons, do that makes any sense? Sounds exactly like the old WoW, with the requirements for dungeons, The prices in the auction house are impossible for newer players unless you buy gold through 3rd parties and if you get caught you are banned.

You can get mid tier Stormcry armor w/o ever setting foot in an instance, by killing IoD BAMs

You can also buy EMP and sell it for gold. No third parties needed.

I don't see the issue.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    edited June 25
    Kantazo wrote: »

You can get mid tier Stormcry armor w/o ever setting foot in an instance, by killing IoD BAMs

I don't see the issue.

The issue is that you need to open your eyes and realize mid-tier Stormcry is babysteps compared to what you need to do all content or even get BiS because Joe has no job and farm all his life away for huge difference or take out credit card and go hard.
  • Stitches1974Stitches1974 ✭✭
    edited June 25
    Lapomko wrote: »
    Kantazo wrote: »

I don't see the issue.

The issue is that you need to open your eyes and realize mid-tier Stormcry is babysteps compared to what you need to do all content or even get BiS because Joe has no job and farm all his life away for huge difference or take out credit card and go hard.

That may be, but I was replying to their excuses of having to buy gold from a third party and getting gear. If you're going to buy gold, just use the money on EMP. No worries about getting banned and what not. Mid tier SC will definitely get you into the instances needed to go higher. I have 2 chars at 452 that have never done a 65 instance and at that IL, I can enter all but 5 instances.
  • VenpaiVenpai ✭✭✭
    I guess it really depends on what you want out of the game? I enjoy the combat so that's the main reason i stay. and because i've been gone for years due to irl reasons, i don't really have a guild to run things with so me and my only friend who plays the game take it at our own pace. we really have no interest in getting the bestest gear ever RIGHT THIS VERY SECOND. so there's no real burn out/lack of things to do like people who whale and get their gear as soon as humanly possible. (which, hey, not gonna knock them. they play how they want to, i play how i want to. whales support this game after all lmao)

are there problems with this game? certainly. seems like the communication between players and enmass has declined in the 2ish years i've been gone. the supply vs the demand of certain drops and the inflated prices on the AH as a result. THE ADVENTURE COIN SYSTEM. AWFUL. TERRIBLE. THANKS TERA I HATE IT. . pvp seems pretty dead but i'm not on the pvp server and really only did cs and fraywind canyon (rest in pieces) which only half counts? and i guess if you care about the stuff in loot boxes that's also an issue, but i really don't pay that any mind. i buy all my stuff in game with gold.

i'm not sure if the playerbase is any more toxic than it was two years ago. people were complaining about toxicity and elitism even back then.i usually don't have any issues with it, so your mileage may vary.

personally, i find the best way to play this game is at your own pace with some friends or even a guild, if you manage to find one you jive with well (still searching myself) but im very easy to please and the grind doesn't really bother me a lot because... well, i like the combat so the grind is fun for me personally. but if you're not a casual player like myself and many others, then i can see why it can be a turnoff for some.

• miskaymiskay ✭✭
    edited June 29
    Edit: Removed for nonconstructive posting.
  • QueenNoraQueenNora ✭✭
    What makes me want to leave the game is the terrible optimization that it has, the simple fact that tera is still using UE3 and not UE4 like other games (Blade & Soul) make me want to quit forever, and ofc, dont forget this new elite generation of the game that ruins the fun of dungeons with "dps meters" and all of those things...

But anyway, the only way that you can enjoy this game is if you have good friends playing the game and if you don't mind the graphic engine / optimization issues.
  • arieallarieall ✭✭
    it would probably be easier for them to just do tera 2 than adapt all the custom code they've done over the years to a new engine
  • Not really. Its combat is what really carries it but the amounting flaws are easily over taking the 2 good things tera was ever good at.

Mix that with devs who are milking the playerbase, virrually no regional feedback or communication and a playerbase who are too happy to let with them you hit a type of grind thatll burn you out over time especially with its skewed economy.
  • edited July 9
    If you are a sadist who enjoys the mind numbing experience that is grinding your life away from level 65 to level 70 along with abyssmal waiting times for the dungeon queues before finally begging for the sweet release of death? Then the answer is yes. If you're a fan of fishing simulators and finds joy in tossing your pets into the meat grinder like some heartless motherf.ucker for that godsdamned low as Hell chance at the perfect partner of your dreams? Then the answer is also yes. And unfortunately for me, I am one such sadist who will sink down with this ship once the metaphorical iceberg destroys it for good. For the love of all things good and holy, please save yourself before it's too late, OP! Tera is addicting and once you get sucked in it's difficult to leave, especially if you are like the majority of us --- myself included --- who have invested so much money and our life into this game. I'm not saying this to be sarcastic or anything of the sort, I'm telling you this because it's true.
  • SleepyTimeSleepyTime ✭✭
    edited July 10
    Tera is a fun game that I feel has the best mmo combat system. Once you learn the basics of your class; it feels pretty good.

Bring friends, make friends, or find a guild. Like most mmos, you won't get far without others and will be stuck complaining about elitists instead of actually making progress.

The game before lvl65 is easy, so blast through to max level to start the grind or just take it easy and see the sights.

The grind to max gear has become way too much as of late and especially RNG heavy later on. Playing casually might help

The game has performance issues (need a decent computer) and you need decent ping to play effectively.

But ultimately, the question of whether it is worth playing or not is up to you. Download it and give it a try.
  • LADR9J9635LADR9J9635 ✭✭
    edited July 13
    Shortest answer I can give is no new Tera is not worth the time. If you do wanna play get ready to download A crap ton of "Mods." and Proxy because that's how everyone plays this game these days. cheating is not punished anymore in fact people openly admit and you can easily tell about 95% of this population of today rolls through with use of 3rd party development software. The Pay to convenience is slowly becoming more pay to win and more about how much money you can throw at RNG lootboxes (oh im sorry Surprise Mechanics!) and costumes that are obvious reskins of other costumes and not actual new costumes that have been made with love and care or designed. mounts give more bonuses then they ever did before. the game play has been streamlined and and made a lot simpler hard classes that used to require skill and mana management are simpler to play than ever, the grind to 70 is Brain numbingly bad and ridiculous, PvP while it maybe "Alive" is now about who can get a group of vastly geared people with the pvp gear. if you don't have that pvp gear you get put in a group for shore hold with a lack pvp gear and your enemy has +5's and +7's or most likely a full +9 premade team you are going to get steam rolled with nothing you can do. even if you are skilled your lack of having gear will make a world of difference. Shorehold is a poor excuse when compared to FWC for a BG, Corshairs is now very fast because with the amount of people "Playing fair." and all it takes its one person to exploit through a gate and destroy the crystal. Enmasse does not care anymore, they do not have the same love they used to have for the game and it shows by their development team, their GM's who don' really understand the game or Mechanics and their commnity moderators who barely ever visit the forums and talk with the community.