Ping problem

Hi ,
I want to ask if there is a way for me to reduce the ping im having which is 150-200 ( sometimes goes up to 250 )
Im playing from EU since the first time i discovered this game was on steam 4 years ago and when i downloaded it i started playing it not knowing there are NA and EU versions.Back then i didnt have this ping so i never really bothered with it because it wasnt impacting me or at least i wasnt feeling it ?

Anyways i have read some news about people using some stuff like VPN or Proxy or idk what else ( im noob when it comes to those things ) and them getting banned.
I've also read that DPS meters arent allowed ( or at least not if you gonna be an arrogant guy whos gonna trashtalk in every single raid if someone is doing a bit less dps than average )

So mu question is IF dps meters are allowed as long as you arent making a big deal out of it are there some solutions for me to reduce the ping? Its getting really frustrating some days, like the first 2 days of the patch i was having 250+ ALL the time. It was unplayable.
So do i have ANY kind of solution?

Help is appreciated.

Comments

• What I can at least say is that VPNs are generally allowed, so long are they are not being used to otherwise evade a ban. The biggest cause of increased lag like this is in the route between you and the server (it's not the only cause, but is a big one). Using a VPN forces your connection to travel through a specific endpoint first, and then connect to the game server from there. (Basically, think of it like driving and using another route to bypass a big traffic accident.)

There are a lot of VPN services out there, including some that are gaming-focused and not that expensive. One that I often hear people recommend (though haven't tried myself) is Mudfish, since it's fairly inexpensive. Otherwise, there are tons of other VPN providers out there. I would personally tend to avoid services that claim to be free, as it probably means they are selling your personal data to advertisers. Maybe other people can post their own recommendation.

As for third-party tools... I honestly don't know the current status (have heard various things about what is/isn't currently working), and I'm not entirely sure if this is the best place to discuss it. There are Discords that focus on that sort of thing, so I might look for that if you're interested.
  • I have the same problem with the ping, need wait 20-30min for get a stable ping. 250-200 to 100-120ms and not use VPN
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    You should play on EU if you are from EU. Latency spikes like that are related to your ISP bad routing or traffic congestion inside your network. Bad routers/modem/bandwidth/cable etc. I have 95ms from EU to US and my ping only spike to 110ms.

Broxy SP won't help much if you have too much ping spikes from 150 to 250 because you will de-desyc alot. Works fine if you have stable ping.
  • AzariahKyrasAzariahKyras ✭✭
    edited May 3
    Lapomko wrote: »
    You should play on EU if you are from EU. Latency spikes like that are related to your ISP bad routing or traffic congestion inside your network. Bad routers/modem/bandwidth/cable etc. I have 95ms from EU to US and my ping only spike to 110ms.

Broxy SP won't help much if you have too much ping spikes from 150 to 250 because you will de-desyc alot. Works fine if you have stable ping.

I would play it on EU if there was a way to transfer my chars and account there >.<.
    But since im close to HO there is no way im gonna start from lvl 1 im just too lazy to do everything all over again.
    About the ping spikes they arent very frequent, but they do happen and when it happens in dungeon its hell.

Are VPN's/proxy even allowed like the dps meter is or ?
  • What I can at least say is that VPNs are generally allowed, so long are they are not being used to otherwise evade a ban. The biggest cause of increased lag like this is in the route between you and the server (it's not the only cause, but is a big one). Using a VPN forces your connection to travel through a specific endpoint first, and then connect to the game server from there. (Basically, think of it like driving and using another route to bypass a big traffic accident.)

There are a lot of VPN services out there, including some that are gaming-focused and not that expensive. One that I often hear people recommend (though haven't tried myself) is Mudfish, since it's fairly inexpensive. Otherwise, there are tons of other VPN providers out there. I would personally tend to avoid services that claim to be free, as it probably means they are selling your personal data to advertisers. Maybe other people can post their own recommendation.

As for third-party tools... I honestly don't know the current status (have heard various things about what is/isn't currently working), and I'm not entirely sure if this is the best place to discuss it. There are Discords that focus on that sort of thing, so I might look for that if you're interested.

Oh sorry i havent seen your comment.
    Thanks for the reply and the explanation, about the 3rd party tools... I dont really care about those stuff, the only problem i have here is my huge ping so if there is a way to reduce that thats the only thing i need.

Thanks for the advice about the VPN stuff means a lot, since i stated im noob about those stuff i have no clue but i will look into it.
  • LapomkoLapomko ✭✭✭
    edited May 4
    Lapomko wrote: »

I would play it on EU if there was a way to transfer my chars and account there >.<.
    But since im close to HO there is no way im gonna start from lvl 1 im just too lazy to do everything all over again.
    About the ping spikes they arent very frequent, but they do happen and when it happens in dungeon its hell.

Are VPN's/proxy even allowed like the dps meter is or ?

As you said ping spikes do not happen frequently, theres something wrong on your end. You should run WinMTR, ping the servers and see if you have huge ping spikes from the first 2 hops. If you do then you have internet issues within your network and you can fix it. If not then theres routing issue within your ISP to the gameserver and almost impossible to fix that unless you use vpn.

• 39HATFDXLY39HATFDXLY ✭✭
    when CS popped last night, my ping shot up to 1000+ then dropped to ~60, then spiked back and forth between 40 and 300, I think tera is just weird with routing tbh
  • MargaretRoseMargaretRose ✭✭✭✭✭
    @5TYADKWAMJ
    Curious, how are you using a Closers avatar on Tera's forums?
  • @5TYADKWAMJ
    Curious, how are you using a Closers avatar on Tera's forums?

It was a spam account, just FYI. Locking the old thread.
This discussion has been closed.