[PC] Maintenance is now complete!

New Gear System (KTera)

https://seraphinush-gaming.tumblr.com/post/186489777823/ktera-patch-20190723 - scroll down to point 9: Gear.

Koreans just decided to throw out the entirety of the current gear system and replace it with this. Discuss.

Comments

• ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disappointment. Enough said.
  • tadaaaatadaaaa ✭✭

"Added new gear

Gear is now segregated between Physical branch and Magical Branch, and added uncommon/rare/superior gear of each branch
    Uncommon gear can be equipped starting level 68, and superior gear can be equipped starting level 69
    These gears can be obtained at a chance in the Exodor region through field/dungeon content

Each gear is of Base stats, Static options, and Random options, and up to 3 Random options can be obtained

The following Random options differ by part :
    Weapon/Gloves
    Physical Amplifier
    Magical Amplifier
    P. Resistance
    M. Resistance
    P. Crit Power
    M. Crit Power
    Crit Factor
    Armor/Shoes/Belt
    Physical Amplifier
    Magical Amplifier
    P. Resistance
    M. Resistance
    Increase Max HP
    Increase Max MP
    MP recovery every 5 seconds

Enchanting consists of 15 stages, and requires enchanting materials and gold to attempt enchanting
    Upon failing to enchanting, gear has a chance to become damaged

Damaged gear can be repaired by consuming the following items, and can be obtained from dismantling new gear"

• ChristinChristin ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23

@Lady245 said:
    https://seraphinush-gaming.tumblr.com/post/186489777823/ktera-patch-20190723 - scroll down to point 9: Gear.

Koreans just decided to throw out the entirety of the current gear system and replace it with this. Discuss.

Actually, it looks like they simply added gear into the system starting at level 68. No changes to HO gear are mentioned. Looks like current gear stays the same with just additional gear and enchanting methods for that gear added.

We knew this was coming. I don't get why anyone is upset by this. Higher levels meant higher gear for those levels.

I think it means they are going to add rng to stats like they did with the partners and the random passive skill.

• HopeandHonorHopeandHonor ✭✭
    edited July 23

@Christin said:

@Lady245 said:

Actually, it looks like they simply added gear into the system starting at level 68. No changes to HO gear are mentioned. Looks like current gear stays the same with just additional gear and enchanting methods for that gear added.

We knew this was coming. I don't get why anyone is upset by this. Higher levels meant higher gear for those levels.

I think it means they are going to add rng to stats like they did with the partners and the random passive skill.

There's a lot more to this than just another gear set, there's numerous things here to be concerned about.

1. You can no longer choose your stats, so classes that rely on say double CDR (Lancer, Warrior, Brawler, Slayer, Both heals, etc.) are put in a pickle.
    2. the enchanting system will be a nightmare
    3. the entire damage system has been reworked around this magical/physical defense/attack system, something that we've never had, nor did anyone ask for
    4. no crystals (Really? why remove something that's been in this game from the very beginning)
    5. Way more RNG than anyone should have to deal with
  • EllexemEllexem ✭✭✭

PvP gearing comes to PvE. Just with a +15 instead of a +9 cap. Everything but the new Exodor (I'm going to be typoing that so often into Exodar, if we get that name in the localization) zone to be made largely irrelevant except as farming for XP, Skill Advancement and Infusion items.

To be fair though, removing crystals and just baking them into the gear stats is honestly not really a meaningful loss. There was effectively no variety in what crystals you'd use for most classes. Though trying to work around gear deficiencies with something like aggro crystals going away as an option is going to suck for anyone not being at the edge of current. The choices offered by dyads going away feels very iffy. If they bake it into the base gear then it might not be so bad, but it's again even less choice in gearing and progression.*

Healers I'm unsure about. On the one hand side, healing is increased with the magical amplification and such, which should also work to increase damage, so the switch between healing and doing damage should no longer require even needing to do things like grabbing a second set of crystals and dual option for some DPS boosting enchantment effects. On the other hand side, I'm a) really not sure if they've actually thought that through (healers getting top spots on contribution for Guardian Legion was a thing for too long because they seemingly didn't anticipate anyone gearing for DPS for it; which halfway makes me expect that we'll get a healer damage nerf not too far into the future because of this) and b) this continues the trend where healers are expected to be damage for the most part (see the upcoming Nostrum/Battle Solution change where the healers will lose their attack speed buff and instead get the damage boost that everyone else has and the recent removal of +healing as an option for the enchantments on accessories) which, while nice for when you need to solo something, is probably not going to sit too well with a number of people.

To come back to the gearing aspect, they talk about random options, which reads to me as RNG being back for that. Especially since you're expected to keep collecting the things to dismantle for feedstock. Though the random might just be a quirk of the translation.

Honestly, this whole thing more and more reads like the unholy union of the old Awakened gear and current PvP gear. Especially since you also have this stupidity of three gear tiers that each can progress to +15, so you have a good chance of being back to your shiny new Superior quality gear piece not even being as good as your already enchanted lower quality one.

They only list a decrease of enchanting cost for Guardian to Stormcry +7 (which is where you're apparently then going to be pushed to the new gear system, since that puts you into the 453 entry range for the level 66+ content), which I dearly hope in reality also increases the success chance, because even with lower costs, a ~20% success chance is just going to suck, and blowing 20 attempts to get that up to 80% isn't out of the question with the luck that some people are having.

I rather hope that we get an actual mapping of what class counts as what in terms of physical and magical damage, and that no classes end up hybrids, unless they can fully benefit from either type. Expecting people to actually know or remember what the weapons used to be classed under for crafting isn't really the best way to avoid confusion there.

• Why can't they just make crystals more interesting instead? Turn them into a full on mod system or something, where you can upgrade and infuse the 'crystals' so that you can have a feeling of progression, an option to bake in their talisman concepts, and a greater feeling of choice on the part of players to build a character that isn't just a cookie cutter product. They could even have consumable crystals with charges, for when you want a big noctenium style boost, if they want it to be a perpetual system... Ah, probably better that they don't look at crystals, since it would just be a pain on the inventory anyway, since we wouldn't get a dedicated mod storage anyway.
  • OMG...why do you want to make PvE gear into PVP gear, +9 PVP gear was bad enough haha...

• ZoknahalZoknahal ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koreans aren't happy either. Let's hope they complain and rage enough for krafton to put the breaks on it, like it happened before with the talisman system that got stopped by the angry Korean players.
  • Can you remind about the talisman system? Also I am waiting for when they just make gearing viable for those who don't play the market or buy emp every month. I am fine with gear changing but it looks like they are just making it whoever can sell most emp and buy gear from lucky players.

• EllexemEllexem ✭✭✭

@MattOsiris said:
    Can you remind about the talisman system?

The enchantment lines on gear were turned into four slots you put talismans into. (Not that bad in an off itself, since they also rolled the common armor line choices into the actual gear.) The Talismans then were pretty much the weapon lines paired in combos for you to pick from. They also added new skill improvement talismans (like cooldown reset chances, improved damage to certain skills and whatnot).

The goal was to add more variety. They messed it up however and had both overpowered skills and left people with the impression that they'd experience a net nerf compared to current weapon lines.

• I wish they would implement these things into temporary event servers before releasing them on the main game.

• AluhAluh ✭✭

wow i thought i was the only one that remembered that stupid talisman system they tried to implement, hopefully they complain a lot and they remove it.

• EllexemEllexem ✭✭✭

@MattOsiris said:
    I wish they would implement these things into temporary event servers before releasing them on the main game.

They did that in Korea for the Talisman system, which is how you got the endless raging and ASCII art dead man comments. The Talismans were apparently kind of prototypical for how Relics work right now for upgrading and acquisition too, from my limited understanding.

No idea if they did such a test server with this, but I find it unlikely.

• tadaaaatadaaaa ✭✭

I remember the talisman system breaking Lancers with spammable Super Leap resets lol.

• ArydAryd ✭✭

I think a lot of people expect HO+6-7 (enchantable at lvl 68-70 as the new gear system, not what they seem to be currently working towards; I'm okay with new gear, but there are people who have spent tens of millions of gold to enchant their gear to just +0 HO. People still trying to catch the HO train, and others trying to catch the +3 train.... now all of that is out the window... and you can damage your gear by failing RNG and have to repair it?

Sounds like a lot of trouble; Not to mention the added bonus of classes like Archer and Ninja which would fall into the area of "hybrid classes" in that a lot of their damage is Physical, but some of their hardest hitting abilities would fall into the "magical" side. (Thunderbolt/Burning Heart/Quick Attack)

Then you've got the added bonus of looting; this is already an issue with things like Masks, where they are such a large upgrade and also dismantle into preferred larger upgrades, that everyone rolls on them regardless of need; which is going to make it even harder considering this gear is supposedly going to be better than HO+3, and still dismantles into enchanting mats.

I think they need to spend more time fixing issues, and focusing on developing new content that doesn't try to reinvent the game every time.

Also keeping in mind that it's sort of making every level 65 dungeon irrelevant; obviously they could change that, but making the gear 68+ basically means we're going to get updated (but still mechanically the same) 65 dungeons for level 70, meaning there's going to be a huge XP nerf.

I remember when they swapped from the +15 Masterwork Enchanting system, to the current system; it wasn't well received, but it's become accepted, your gear level is based on RNG, but your stats aren't, and this is taking one giant leap backwards. Did we learn nothing?