[PS4/XB1] We will be entering into maintenance on 9/23 at 7pm PDT, and have an expected downtime of 3. For details, please visit the following thread: http://bit.ly/teraconsolemaintenance

The Vanguard Initiative (Fate of Arun) changed?

I depended on this questline (starting north of Velika leading into the crashed airship) to level from 60-65 before I reached Highwatch to level my characters but it's been changed? On my level 61 gunner I have no Vanguartd Initiative story quests. In the patch notes it says "We kept the changes on the Archdeva story quests in Fate of Arun content (Lvl 60-64) to a minimum to secure stability since players utilize them as their main leveling routes." but I can't figure how where this quest line starts. I don't want to hunt BAMs and run dungeons for crap EXP. Thank you for any information on changes to this quest line.

Comments

• PoniloverPonilover ✭✭✭
    edited August 5

The quest line is available after completing the Danger in Kaiator (aka Kelsaik) story line, though i'm not 100% sure. Try poking around Kaiator since the quest line starts there at lvl 59. FYI the Argon War story line is available after completing the Northern Arun story, which makes zero sense in terms of the game plot and lore, but who cares...

• I'll do Danger in Kaiator and see if that unlocks it. I liked the old way of doing things. I'd skip the story quests until I reached 60 through dungeons and then start the Vanguard Initiative story quest until I hit 65 and then I'd do all the Highwatch and linked quests for gear. Completely ruins my process.

• I do not understand what they are doing with the game, on the one hand they allow you to reach level 60 only by running dungeons, without having to follow a quest lines, but when you reach this level you only find 3 dungeons that you should complete 20 times or more to reach level 65. Added that with the few people who are playing Tera, getting into one of those 3 dungeons takes more than an hour in some cases. The vanguards give you very little experience. Let's say that reaching level 65 today is the most boring and frustrating thing about Tera.

• EllexemEllexem ✭✭✭

@Honoo said:
    I'll do Danger in Kaiator and see if that unlocks it. I liked the old way of doing things. I'd skip the story quests until I reached 60 through dungeons and then start the Vanguard Initiative story quest until I hit 65 and then I'd do all the Highwatch and linked quests for gear. Completely ruins my process.

Supplies and Demands, the third quest under the "The Vanguard Initiative", was available for me on characters that didn't do the level 51-60 story quest line. Though I've only been able to check on a level 65. Have you checked if that was unlocked as a skip hook for you as well? You don't need to have the airship platform teleport scroll to get there from Velika, after all, if you don't want to do the new story quest that now hands those out.

If you do want do unlock the story quest, then you seem to need to do the full level 51-60 story quest line. (Danger in Kaiator, Hope and Despair, Harbinger of Annihilation)

@katso said:
    I do not understand what they are doing with the game, on the one hand they allow you to reach level 60 only by running dungeons, without having to follow a quest lines, but when you reach this level you only find 3 dungeons that you should complete 20 times or more to reach level 65.

Part trying to address what we keep telling them (the story line makes no sense, nobody does certain parts of it, demanding group dungeons as part of the story line not working too well when you out-level the matching for them just from doing the quests to get to them, weapon drops from dungeons not mattering, ...), part trying to address the lack of people leveling (the story quest revamp is pretty much exclusively solo), part trying to streamline the progression. (Thus kicking a bunch of things over to zone quest status that used to be story quests. Leveling items either not enchanting or only having 1-3 levels with no more feedstock or alkahests. Or how they are handing you a mount earlier and even seem to give out the flying one earlier, if I understand the notes correctly.)

They'll also increase the matching level for Ebon Tower to 64 some time in the future, so that what most people like to spam to reach level 65 actually is more easily available. The cooldowns on three other dungeons are also being reduced, so that they too can be run more readily.

Not that they aren't still doing their usual contradictory things for those goals as well, like move crystal boxes back on the solo content, mainly having the gear you want actually in the group dungeons that they don't even let you advance the story quest with any longer, removing nearly all the solo vanguards for level 60-64 (and those that remain being pure waste of time traps with excessive hit point pools that just slow you down) and all of those other things.

But overall this seems to be very much them trying to do what we keep demanding, no matter how ill-received and -conceived some of it ends up being in practice.

• SageWinduSageWindu High Seat of the Jedi Council ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm leveling a mystic now and can confirm this is pretty much what's happening. Each story quest flows into the next one, so you can't skip parts of the story. Certain parts were also reworked to make more sense (Bruke shows up pretty early now so you have a better sense of how much of a jackass he really is) or streamlined so that there's nowhere near as much faffing about as before (the Chebika chapter, with the mines). Side quests also no longer award XP, but instead gold and those weird little enchanting relics. Speaking of gold, the amount gained isn't small, considering this for characters working up to 65. Some quests give excess of 200g (with Elite) upon completion, which, if you recall, is on par with the old dailies before the FoA expansion.

But really, my biggest concern is the transition - or complete lack thereof - from the leveling quests into the endgame dungeon grind. The way leveling works currently, you find enough relics, get some gold, upgrades are easy peasy lemon squeezy - anything you can't or don't use can be broken down into more relics for future upgrades (like the old feedstock system). Once you hit the Frostmetal set, however, then you have to roll the dice, then roll again (if the first roll didn't work), then roll again (if that didn't work), and so on. To a brand new player, that might come off as a huge shock when the game keeps deciding that he or she can't progress because they keep rolling a 1 instead of a 2. Oh, and that's before you get into all the extra systems that are completely irrelevant until you get to 65 (Adventure Coins, crafting, item level, and so on).

• I literally spent 5-8 hours just doing stupid level 50 story quests just to unlock Vanguard Initiative.. It's not worth it. Looks like I came back to Tera at the wrong time. I bought the game as a founder when it first came out and stopped playing then a friend of mine was playing on the PVE server so I joined (I used to play PVP). I was lucky enough to level a few characters to 65 before this change and it was very quick and enjoyable. My process was 1-20 Story Quests, 20-60 Dungeons, and 60-65 Vanguard Story. It kinda ticks me off. Levels 60-65 are a pure grind fest for story quests and dungeons. The game doesn't really start until 65 so why not cut out some of this grind? I don't even watch the story cutscenes anyway. Just get me to 65 so I can actually play the game. I'm not here for lore. This isn't WoW.